HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Oct 31, 2023, 10:58 PM
Community Guy

Good ol Sam Gagner #89 called up to Edmonton!

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Nov 1, 2023, 6:29 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Red hot rumour in the hockey world.

Ottawa Senators to announce the hiring of Patrick Roy within the next hour.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2023, 7:05 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Red hot rumour in the hockey world.

Ottawa Senators to announce the hiring of Patrick Roy within the next hour.
1st period - GM Pierre Dorion fired.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2023, 8:13 PM
Community Guy

Lolz

Old Posted Nov 1, 2023, 8:36 PM

I cannot find any articles or stories linking roy to sens online?

Old Posted Nov 3, 2023, 8:32 PM

So we can assume Andlauer sold his share for $250 million. If he bought 50% + 1 of the Sens (can't be much more considering the number of partners), it means his stake in the Canadiens funded at least half of his purchase of the Sens.

Quote:
Report: Canadiens minority stake sold at record $2.5B valuation

Reuters, ESPN
Nov 1, 2023, 06:30 PM ET

Michael Andlauer, who bought the Ottawa Senators for $950 million in September, sold his 10% minority interest in the Montreal Canadiens at a record $2.5 billion enterprise value, Sportico reported Wednesday.

The Molson family, which owns a controlling stake in the Canadiens, exercised their option of the first right to buy Andlauer's stake.

As part of the agreement when he bought the Senators, Andlauer was required to sell his Canadiens stake, which is a record for a standalone NHL team.

The Toronto Maple Leafs were part of an $8 billion valuation this summer, but it was part of a stake in Maple Leaf Sports & Entertainment, which also includes the NBA's Toronto Raptors and Major League Soccer's Toronto FC.

Andlauer, the founder and CEO of Andlauer Healthcare Group, had been a minority owner of the Canadiens since 2009, when the Molson family bought the team from George Gillett for $575 million.

Along with the Senators, Andlauer's group acquired Ottawa's American Hockey League affiliate, the Belleville Senators, from the estate of Eugene Melnyk. The Melnyk estate kept a 10% interest in the club.

The Canadiens and Senators did not respond to requests for comment from Sportico, while the NHL declined to comment.
https://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/...cord-valuation

Old Posted Nov 3, 2023, 9:42 PM
Community Guy

Gagner looked good, but man o man yet another loss for the Oilers and too little, too late again after getting behind with a couple weak goals against.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2023, 3:17 AM

Quote:
Report: Canadiens minority stake sold at record $2.5B valuation

Reuters, ESPN
Nov 1, 2023, 06:30 PM ET

Michael Andlauer, who bought the Ottawa Senators for $950 million in September, sold his 10% minority interest in the Montreal Canadiens at a record $2.5 billion enterprise value, Sportico reported Wednesday.

The Toronto Maple Leafs were part of an $8 billion valuation this summer, but it was part of a stake in Maple Leaf Sports & Entertainment, which also includes the NBA's Toronto Raptors and Major League Soccer's Toronto FC.
So if the Habs are worth $2.5B, and the MLSE teams combined are $8B, what’s the breakdown for the MLSE teams ?

~$2.5 to 3B for the Leafs
~$4B and change for the Raptors
~$700 million for Toronto FC

?

And I’m assuming all these figures are in US dollars and not CDN.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2023, 10:49 PM
Community Guy

Another lacklustre effort, basic errors, below avg. goaltending and where the hell are 97 and 29?

We are a month in and over 10% done... any urgency or looking in the mirror? I just do not see people that care right now.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2023, 12:09 AM

Oilers need to be blown up their model does not work this ain't the NBA where you can rely on 2 superstars to win you a championship.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2023, 6:03 AM

Another win for the Canucks tonight. Far and away the best team in Canada right now. We play Edmonton on Monday. If the Oilers lose, could be the end of Woodcroft. The Oilers seem really broken right now. I wonder if McDavid has hit a wall psychologically with that team, and the goaltending looks absolutely horrific.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2023, 1:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenoflyzone View Post
So if the Habs are worth $2.5B, and the MLSE teams combined are $8B, what’s the breakdown for the MLSE teams ?

~$2.5 to 3B for the Leafs
~$4B and change for the Raptors
~$700 million for Toronto FC

?

And I’m assuming all these figures are in US dollars and not CDN.
Yup, would be U.S. figures.

I would be surprised if the Leafs aren't worth at least $3B. I thin the entire $8B was under valued.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2023, 1:38 PM
arf

I'd do the rankings this week, but nope.

Vancouver. The only Canadian team that looks like more than competing poorly for a wild card spot and probably not getting into the playoffs.

Outside of Vancouver, this is the record of Canadian teams this week: 2-10-3. Vancouver was 3-0-0.

Congratulations at sucking at hockey Canada.

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss

Old Posted Nov 6, 2023, 1:54 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeInMyShoes View Post
I'd do the rankings this week, but nope.

Vancouver. The only Canadian team that looks like more than competing poorly for a wild card spot and probably not getting into the playoffs.

Outside of Vancouver, this is the record of Canadian teams this week: 2-10-3. Vancouver was 3-0-0.

Congratulations at sucking at hockey Canada.
Canada doesn't suck at hockey. Canada sucks at pro club hockey.

And only because we gave it all away.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2023, 2:21 PM

Quote:

We gave away what? The exclusive right to sign players from within their geographic area?

Old Posted Nov 6, 2023, 2:30 PM

Was it here or elsewhere I read there are currently no Canadian players in the leagues top 10 for points? It's early and you know that will change, but still a little interesting/concerning. I know the portion of NHLers born Canada essentially drops every year.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2023, 2:31 PM
arf

Quote:

Fair enough.

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss

Old Posted Nov 6, 2023, 2:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TownGuy View Post
Was it here or elsewhere I read there are currently no Canadian players in the leagues top 10 for points? It's early and you know that will change, but still a little interesting/concerning. I know the portion of NHLers born Canada essentially drops every year.
The American development program has drastically improved over the last decade. I think 5 of the top 10 players in points right now are from the NTDP.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2023, 2:36 PM
arf

Quote:
Originally Posted by TownGuy View Post
True.

Currently Braydon Point is tied for 13th place.

Quant Hockey is my go to for statistics (https://www.quanthockey.com/nhl/seas...ers-stats.html). A little hard to navigate sometimes, but you want to know the all-time leaders for unretired players, it will answer that easily.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2023, 5:01 PM
arf

Time for some fun, well not really fun, but for people that like watching statistics, right now we are potentially looking at the worst season in NHL history. Sure the Oilers have been bad, but we're talking San Jose. At present they are on pace to set records for worst points percentage, worst goal differential, and fewest points ever in a season.

And I'm even including seasons like the 1919-1920 season where the Quebec Bulldogs only played 24 games and had 8 points in the standings.

I doubt this holds over the season, but right now the Sharks would finish with 7 points in the standings and a goal differential of, get this, -320?!? Even the 1974-1975 Washington Capitals, who currently hold that record, had a goal differential of -265. How does one beat that by 55?

They are also pacing that same Capitals team for the worst season (more than 50 games played) for standings points. That team finished with 21 points.

Next game is Tuesday at home to Philadelphia and then a clash with Edmonton for bragging rights as the worst team in the NHL.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada