HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted May 22, 2021, 6:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by enragedcamel View Post
What makes Arizona such a lucrative place for tech manufacturing anyway? Does it have a particularly business-friendly political climate or is it something else?
The Phoenix area has a long history of Semiconductor manufacturing. But outside of that, I don't know.

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted May 22, 2021, 6:04 PM

Quote:
What makes Arizona such a lucrative place for tech manufacturing anyway? Does it have a particularly business-friendly political climate or is it something else?
And do they have a big enough sustainable and reliable water supply to feed the ginormous amount of H2O needed for the manufacturing process?

Old Posted May 22, 2021, 6:35 PM
May the Schwartz be w/ U!

Quote:
#1-#9: Incentives
#10: Talent Pool

Old Posted May 22, 2021, 7:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the Genral View Post
And do they have a big enough sustainable and reliable water supply to feed the ginormous amount of H2O needed for the manufacturing process?
I know the Palo Verde nuclear plant uses treated sewage from the Phoenix area for cooling, and it's the largest nuclear power plant in the US. I don't know what all the water is used for in chip fabs, but if it doesn't require perfect purity they could be using a similar system.

Old Posted May 22, 2021, 8:05 PM

Quote:
I came across this video the other day that should answer your question.

Video Link

Old Posted May 22, 2021, 8:17 PM

Phoenix is definitely one of Austin's main competitors (along with the other large Texas Metros) for California Companies' relocations and expansions.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2021, 8:46 PM

Switch to put data center next to Dell HQ

https://www.bizjournals.com/austin/n...ck-campus.html

By Justin Sayers – Staff Writer, Austin Business Journal

Switch (NYSE: SWCH) said June 2 it has agreed to buy land from Dell. Site preparation and permitting will begin this summer for the 1.5-million-square-foot facility, which will be known as "The Rock," according to Switch Chief Information Officer Missy Young, who declined to provide the purchase price of the land.

The multi-tenant facility has the potential to attract "thousands of customers" over time, said Young, who labeled it a "technology ecosystem," with multiple buildings, tons of connectivity and electricity. The size of the facility means customers can bring their own equipment and contribute to the Round Rock tax base. The development will be powered with 100% renewable energy, according to an announcement.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2021, 4:47 PM

TikTok is still looking.

Quote:
Sources said a TikTok deal at the tower is in the preliminary stages and nothing is yet confirmed. TikTok is looking at office space in a few locations and might sign somewhere else, according to one source. Another source said TikTok could take up 150,000 square feet at 300 Colorado.

TikTok did not respond to a request for comment. Neither did Jones Lang Lasalle Inc., the leasing firm for 300 Colorado.

The tower, which is on the verge of completion, will have about 353,000 square feet of office space. It has been under construction for about two years.
https://www.bizjournals.com/austin/n...Pos=0#cxrecs_s

Old Posted Jun 7, 2021, 2:55 PM

Interesting news from ABJ:

June 6th: 546-acre Bastrop 552 project could create moviemaking mecca east of Austin.

Southern California company's plans include production facilities, sound stages, backlots

https://www.bizjournals.com/austin/n...4-studios.html

Old Posted Jun 7, 2021, 2:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjk View Post

June 6th: 546-acre Bastrop 552 project could create moviemaking mecca east of Austin.

Southern California company's plans include production facilities, sound stages, backlots

bizjournals.com/austin/news/2021/06/06/bastrop-film-studio-line-204-studios.html
That's just down the road from Spiderwood. Very interesting.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2021, 4:44 PM

I wonder if Richard Linklater has any connection with that project?

Old Posted Jun 7, 2021, 4:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armybrat View Post
I wonder if Richard Linklater has any connection with that project?
Why would he?

Old Posted Jun 7, 2021, 5:23 PM
Bollywood Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by freerover View Post
Why would he?
Believe he lives in Bastrop.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2021, 6:39 PM

When I lived in Bastrop, Linklater's place was located in a far corner of my old neighborhood, an area known as Circle D. His property was one of the few in Circle D that was not burned out in the 2011 fire. I think he still has the place which is located on several wooded acres.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2021, 9:53 PM

Sooooo what does everyone think about the astronomical house prices?

I have mixed feelings. On the one hand, as a homeowner my "on paper" net worth has gone up significantly over the past year despite me doing absolutely nothing. On the other hand, all my friends in their 20s and 30s have started moving out of Austin because they cannot afford it with their working class and middle class incomes. One is moving to San Marcos. Another is moving back to Houston to live with parents. Two just bought houses in northwest Arkansas and moved there. And those are just the ones I've been talking to regularly.

Aside from the slow erosion of my social circle, I'm also worried that this will dampen the city's economic growth. Wages haven't been increasing, which means the city gets less and less affordable as time goes by. Considering that the reason I moved here from SoCal seven years ago was that I realized I would never be able to buy a house there (without a 2 hour commute at least), and seeing the exact same thing happening to my friends here today, is a terrible feeling. And unlike a lot of the other locales, I don't think our house prices will return to normal since companies have been moving here in droves. I think this is the new normal.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2021, 11:31 PM
Love Austin

Quote:
Sooooo what does everyone think about the astronomical house prices?
Glad you brought this up. It’s something I think about daily. Sorry you’ve lost some friends due to the higher cost of living we’re dealing with—I’ve lost far too many to the same issue. It is horrible for Austin in that it drives displacement, is fuel for sprawl and ramps up traffic.

Recall we were weeks from adopting a new land use code on third reading that increased Austin’s unbuilt housing capacity to over 400,000 units! It also legalized a diversity of housing types for a diversity of income earners. The Housing Opposition Group lawsuit led by CNC, after years of failing to stop progress, finally found a NIMBY-curious judge who gave them everything they wanted. We have enough housing-deniers on city council and such entrenched aversion to growth embedded in the city staff level that housing faces an uphill battle on every front.

The most important opportunity to change course IMO are our 2022 elections. Districts 1,3, 5, 8, 9 and the Mayor are up for election with Renteria (3), Kitchen (5), Tovo* (9) and the Mayor’s seats open as they are all termed out. My guess is we’ll have some housing-deniers try to run for mayor (so far Austin has avoided this bullet). Two of the four members who voted against land use reform (5&9) are termed out giving further hope for housing progress. We all must get involved in elections next year. They are the most important since ’14.

*She had already termed out last time around but claimed there was “confusion” so she ran again. Nobody seemed confused except her but here we are.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2021, 2:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjk View Post

https://www.bizjournals.com/austin/n...4-studios.html
Wasn't this tried before? I think it was called Villa Muse?

Old Posted Jun 11, 2021, 3:28 AM

I forgot about Villa Muse! It was going to go where that race track is?

Old Posted Jun 11, 2021, 3:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingkirbythe.... View Post
I think where Tesla is or a little further east of it.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2021, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingkirbythe.... View Post
I believe this was the Villa Muse tract.

https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/sho...&postcount=851

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin