HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

View Poll Results: Monarchy - Keep or Ditch?
Keep 149 52.28%
Ditch 136 47.72%
Voters: 285. You may not vote on this poll

Old Posted Jun 9, 2023, 1:07 PM
video et taceo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proof Sheet View Post
Good point in terms of his surname but I think he's about as Irish as Lucky Charms.
I actually didn't know much about him, but it seems his dad was Irish and his mom of Lebanese descent. In any case, his persona and background point more to what the English would see as a Thatcherite/"City Boy"-type thing, more like Gordon Gekko or something than an old WASP.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2023, 1:11 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by kool maudit View Post
I actually didn't know much about him, but it seems his dad was Irish and his mom of Lebanese descent. In any case, his persona and background point more to what the English would see as an '80s/Thatcherite/"City Boy"-type thing, more like Gordon Gekko or something than an old WASP.
In that sense he might fall more into the category of "ethnics" who like the monarchy for what it brings in terms of stability (and even prestige?) to the Canadian system.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2023, 2:32 PM

[QUOTE=esquire;9941202]So now the passport is too bland? Maybe we should spice it up with some nods to controversial events of the past...

That Chevy Caprice Police Car brings back some memories. And no I was never chased by a RCMP Caprice Classic! LOL!

As for the soldier? I more than likely wore that same Battle Jacket and Brain Bucket during my basic training days in 1989!

Old Posted Jun 9, 2023, 6:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1overcosc View Post
Now that's actually quite surprising to me. I live in a mostly white city and I'll admit I don't have a lot of daily interactions with people who aren't "old stock anglos", so to speak.. does this surprise everyone else on here?
As a Vancouverite who knows a lot of first and second generation Hong Kong immigrants, I know of no other group who adores the British monarchy and institutions more. There's of course some infamous history relating to the British Empire and China which might have something to do with it.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2023, 6:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chowhou View Post
As a Vancouverite who knows a lot of first and second generation Hong Kong immigrants, I know of no other group who adores the British monarchy and institutions more. There's of course some infamous history relating to the British Empire and China which might have something to do with it.
Understandable, but that is a bit of an unusual situation.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2023, 8:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Understandable, but that is a bit of an unusual situation.
Is it though? The two largest visible minority groups (Chinese and South Asian) both have long complicated histories with the British Crown and if they've decided to come to Canada then they have probably made some peace with the Anglosphere.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2023, 8:23 PM

Quote:
Is it though? The two largest visible minority groups (Chinese and South Asian) both have long complicated histories with the British Crown and if they've decided to come to Canada then they have probably made some peace with the Anglosphere.
Hong Kong in particular has a bit of a unique history regarding the crown, though... particularly as it relates to the PRC. It's a bit like how Cuban expats in the US are the most vocal critics of the Cuban system.

So to that extent, it's not surprising that the crown would be held dear by many Hongkongers, particularly older ones.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2023, 8:32 PM
Closed account

Quote:
I suspect it was more acceptance of what one knows (Hong Kong did well under British rule) versus a questionable future under a different regime.

If Hong Kong was to be an independent Singapore-like city-state, would many of these people have left and came to Canada? Or would they have the same high regard for the British institutions if HK was left to its own path for the future? (Even if that was a non-starter from a historical point-of-view)

I have a hunch the comparative change between the British and Chinese rule that made Hong Kong the exception for relative enthusiasm for British rule. Other places in Asia were quite happy to be rid of their former colonial rulers because they got independence out of the deal.

Admittedly, the end of the British Empire on July 1, 1997 did at least leave a whiff of longing for it in some parts of the world.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2023, 8:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Hong Kong in particular has a bit of a unique history regarding the crown, though... particularly as it relates to the PRC. It's a bit like how Cuban expats in the US are the most vocal critics of the Cuban system.

So to that extent, it's not surprising that the crown would be held dear by many Hongkongers, particularly older ones.
Actually I find the more recent younger first generation Gen Z/Millennial HK immigrants who basically always lived under Chinese rule are the fondest of the monarchy. To them, British rule isn't fond memories, it's a symbol to organise around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewave46 View Post
I suspect it was more acceptance of what one knows (Hong Kong did well under British rule) versus a questionable future under a different regime.
I can assure you that Hong Kong under British rule was not all sunshine and rainbows. If you look at the police stations in Hong Kong (built pre-handover) some of them are fortified like actual military fortifications because, in the words of one person I spoke to, "back in the day the gangs carried AK-47s in the streets so if you think about that it kind of makes sense."

Last edited by chowhou; Jun 9, 2023 at 8:49 PM.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2023, 5:44 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

1st Canadian coins bearing King Charles's image to be unveiled by Royal Canadian Mint today
Small number of 2023-dated coins to circulate in early December
CBC · Posted: Nov 14, 2023 1:13 PM AST | Last Updated: 28 minutes ago
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manit...mint-1.7027749

Old Posted Nov 14, 2023, 6:12 PM
The Vomit Bag.

his likeness on UK coins:

cbc

coming soon to your pocket.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2023, 6:17 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

When I was a kid, it was not that unusual to get the occasional George VI coin in my change. On rare occasions, you could find the odd George V coin too.

I'm looking forward to finding my first Charles III coin.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2023, 6:27 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Edward VIII coins are comparatively rare. He was a terrible King anyhow, even considering his short tenure.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2023, 6:28 PM
The Vomit Bag.

imagine the reaction in certain circles in Quebec and Alberta:

Old Posted Nov 14, 2023, 6:31 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post

Old Posted Nov 14, 2023, 6:32 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Edward VIII coins are comparatively rare. He was a terrible King anyhow, even considering his short tenure.

I don't think Canada ever produced any Edward VIII coins. He was only around for about 6 months.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2023, 6:46 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
I don't think Canada ever produced any Edward VIII coins. He was only around for about 6 months.
You are probably correct. I could not find anything.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2023, 7:04 PM

Some George V coins were minted after his death but with an added dot under the year on the coin. As far as I know, no coins with Edward VIII were mint (of if they were, they were destroyed before being released).

Old Posted Nov 14, 2023, 7:16 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
When I was a kid, it was not that unusual to get the occasional George VI coin in my change. On rare occasions, you could find the odd George V coin too.

I'm looking forward to finding my first Charles III coin.
I remember George coins of some sort as well from the 70s.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2023, 7:17 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
You're missing PHILOSOPHUS REX on there.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada