HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

View Poll Results: Monarchy - Keep or Ditch?
Keep 149 52.28%
Ditch 136 47.72%
Voters: 285. You may not vote on this poll

Old Posted May 10, 2023, 9:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kool maudit View Post
I just saw our new passports and the Euro banknotes are no longer the world's most watery, anodyne and meaningless images in use as symbols of the realm.
And, in what may be a Canadian political first, Jagmeet Singh has said that he doesn't have a strong opinion on the appearance of the passport.

There may be hope for the man yet.

Old Posted May 10, 2023, 9:45 PM
sick transit, gloria

It’s not great - I kinda see what they were going for but it’s wayyyy too close to the ubiquitous Globohomo style (a real thing). I do like the stylized maple leaf on the cover though.

I do actually think the current passport art is kinda cringe. Not because of the history or events in question but just comes off as a country trying too hard. Not something I really care about one way or the other though.

Old Posted May 10, 2023, 9:55 PM
video et taceo

The images remind me of something that might be used at 15% opacity for the background of a consulting firm's powerpoint slides.

For a contract with a step-counting app.

Old Posted May 10, 2023, 10:13 PM

The best part of the story is that my next passport may survive being thrown in the laundry!

Old Posted May 10, 2023, 10:31 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by niwell View Post
It’s not great - I kinda see what they were going for but it’s wayyyy too close to the ubiquitous Globohomo style (a real thing). I do like the stylized maple leaf on the cover though.

I do actually think the current passport art is kinda cringe. Not because of the history or events in question but just comes off as a country trying too hard. Not something I really care about one way or the other though.
Eh, I used to have the same reaction to cringe.

Then again, now I think of other places in the world. Eurovision is often cringe, but they’re having fun and it’s unmistakable of where it is from. Conversely, Euro banknotes are the bureaucratic pablum monument to inoffensive blandness. America revels in its tackiness; it embraces its largest spectacles (The Superbowl) with abandon. It doesn’t care how excessive it is, or if the world approves. You’re in America, son!

I’d rather Canada of its slightly cringe ways than ‘The bland non-entity to the north of the United States’. Lightfoot, Downie, and Stompin’ Tom were kind of cringe, but they’re at least cringe about us. The old passport may have been trying a little too hard, but the pablum version is nightmarish in a Stepford Wives way. It is the spirit of Boston Pizza, Milton, and Nickelback-esqe generic rock (all Canadiana!) run through the Passport Canada inoffensive committee. Ugh.

Chucky on the $20 is a little too trite and if I have to suffer some other country’s cringe, I like to do it optionally; let the Limeys have their royalty. Stick Pearson on the note and we’ll have the PM theme through the entire set. Yeah, sure, he’s a white guy, but who hates Pearson? Really?

Old Posted May 11, 2023, 12:44 AM

It reminds me of the birds banknotes.

Old Posted May 11, 2023, 1:44 AM

So now the passport is too bland? Maybe we should spice it up with some nods to controversial events of the past...

Last edited by esquire; May 11, 2023 at 2:06 AM.

Old Posted May 11, 2023, 2:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
Just to drive Alberta crazy:
Even better - both Pierre and Justin on the same bill.

Old Posted May 11, 2023, 2:59 AM

Has anyone suggested Nickelback yet?
How about an actual Timbit?
Or a picture of all the Ryans (Reynolds, Gosling, Nugent-Hopkins and O'Reilly)?

Old Posted May 11, 2023, 3:09 AM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
I just saw our new passports and the Euro banknotes are no longer the world's most watery, anodyne and meaningless images in use as symbols of the realm.
Taking ahistoricism and placenessness to heights never imagined before.

Old Posted May 11, 2023, 3:26 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Taking ahistoricism and placenessness to heights never imagined before.
So generic and non specific. Completely inoffensive and bland.

It couldn’t get more Canadian!

Old Posted May 11, 2023, 3:34 AM
recession proof

I finally watched the Coronation: hadn't realized it's basically a modified Anglican Sunday church service - flashback to my childhood ha. Anyway, Charles looked awkward and Camila clearly has Parkinsons. For us (ethnically) English Canadians, it reminded us who we are. (And my father's long-time subscription to The Church Times and English Churchman finally paid off, as everything made sense, even if I'm agnostic.)

Old Posted Jun 8, 2023, 6:08 PM

Quote:
Forty per cent of Canadians have a net positive view of the monarchy, but they’re now outnumbered by the 47 per cent who have a net negative view, says the new survey from the Association for Canadian Studies and the Metropolis Institute. The poll was conducted ahead of King Charles’s coronation on May 6 and released in advance of Victoria Day long weekend.

Yet, despite the overall low favourability, the monarchy remains popular with immigrants.

More than half — 52 per cent — of immigrants have a positive view of the monarchy, while just 36 per cent of non-immigrant Canadians do. A similar trend holds for visible minorities: 47 per cent have a positive view of the monarchy, compared with 37 per cent of white Canadians.
https://nationalpost.com/news/canada...in-canada-poll

Old Posted Jun 9, 2023, 4:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truenorth00 View Post
Quote:
More than half — 52 per cent — of immigrants have a positive view of the monarchy, while just 36 per cent of non-immigrant Canadians do. A similar trend holds for visible minorities: 47 per cent have a positive view of the monarchy, compared with 37 per cent of white Canadians.
Now that's actually quite surprising to me. I live in a mostly white city and I'll admit I don't have a lot of daily interactions with people who aren't "old stock anglos", so to speak.. does this surprise everyone else on here?
"It is only because the control of the means of production is divided among many people acting independently that nobody has complete power over us, that we as individuals can decide what to do with ourselves." - Friedrich Hayek

Old Posted Jun 9, 2023, 5:45 AM
Sawmill Billowtoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1overcosc View Post
Now that's actually quite surprising to me. I live in a mostly white city and I'll admit I don't have a lot of daily interactions with people who aren't "old stock anglos", so to speak.. does this surprise everyone else on here?
Edmonton here. Nope

Old Posted Jun 9, 2023, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Not really, immigrants come here because they like Canada and its institutions.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2023, 10:34 AM

Quote:
It surprises me. It depends on the 'old stock anglos' I would think. The Conrad Blacks and Kevin O'Leary's of the world who see the royal family and the links between Canada and the UK with rose tinted glasses would have a favourable impression. The types of people who are in Trailer Park Boys and Letterkenny not so much.

Anyone who reads about the antics of Meeeeeeeghan Markle and Harry and their sense of entitlement and level of grift surely must have a negative impression. Same with Prince Andrew the nonce and his antics.

For me, I don't have an issue with the Royal Family being around in the UK but I really think it is time to cut the cord with the institution for this country. I do realise that the constitutional issues to untangle would be immense.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2023, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acottawa View Post
Not really, immigrants come here because they like Canada and its institutions.
Yep. And they also learn about these institutions as adults in the process of getting citizenship. Something must native born Canadians don't go through. Very different when you pump and dump something you learned in elementary school.

Quote:
.... does this surprise everyone else on here?
Not me. But I've seen anti-monarchists try and use immigrants as an excuse for their opposition and it always struck me as strange. There are diverse opinions among immigrants to be sure. And many will associate the Crown with colonialism and some the horrific practices of that era. But also, many understand that these institutions are part of what's makes this country the Canada they love.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2023, 11:01 AM
video et taceo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proof Sheet View Post
It surprises me. It depends on the 'old stock anglos' I would think. The Conrad Blacks and Kevin O'Leary's

"Old-stock Anglo"... "O'Leary"...

Old Posted Jun 9, 2023, 12:15 PM

Quote:
"Old-stock Anglo"... "O'Leary"...
Good point in terms of his surname but I think he's about as Irish as Lucky Charms.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada