HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Nov 4, 2019, 9:39 PM
surely you agree with me

I like that last little guy.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2019, 10:09 PM
Orig. frm Alpha Pectaurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hecate View Post
The reason things are so far apart is because Canada is massive and has a tiny population. Rail is not a realistic way of servicing all rural communities. Gonna take the train to the hospital in an emergency? Give me a break. Lol, if you’re concerned about the environment so much you’d know that proper traffic flow can reduce emissions. Having proper traffic flow on our existing roadways, like the perimeter, would decrease our carbon footprint. At the same time it would improve safety. Our perimeter is a joke, there should be zero uncontrolled intersections, and there should be no lights. Flyovers and diamonds. If Regina can do it why the hell cant we.

Yes, a train would be just fine for say to transport a patient and have them go themselves or with their husband/wife to the nearest Hospital. This would depend upon the severity of the health issue. If it was because she was about to deliver a baby and the couple lived in a community outside the Perim. Hwy. but inside the Winnipeg Metro Region, say Niverville, Oakbank, Ile des Chenes, Headingley, of course. A commuter rail train on its own right-of way-might be faster (rapid transit) than fighting traffic on Pembina, Marion-Goulet, Portage, or in the beach communities (Winnipeg Beach, Grand Beach, "Dunnotar!").

Best thing would be to have a rapid transit line with a station at the HSC campus and elsewhere at other WRHA Hospitals, without having to rely on taxis or personal autos as much.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2019, 10:30 PM
Formerly rypinion

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueviking View Post
So many streets in the city should have dozens of those.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2019, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Really?

Functionally, I'm sure it's perfect... that's the scale of infill needed over there. But the design makes me hurt inside a bit.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2019, 11:11 PM
BANNED

Quote:
It’s not about fashion, it’s about accessibility, a city that is connected with proper rapid public transit allows youth, seniors, and the disabled to live fuller lives. The fact that a disabled or elderly person can be isolated here in their home for weeks on end because the city refuses to plough sidewalks properly, doesn’t make for a healthy fulfilling environment. Winter can be nice, but it can also be a relentless bitch. The city should do more to accommodate its citizens by creating connected interior environments. Cities in hot climates use architecture and landscaping to create spaces with microclimates that are cooler than the surrounding areas. They do this so the citizens can be outside and enjoy the surroundings without having to be in an air conditioned building. Winnipeg needs to do the opposite. It would make for a happier city.
I wasn't arguing against proper rapid transit, but why does that need to be underground in a massive tunnel system? is the solution for disabled or elderly peoples to live healthy lives in cities to force them underground? should we also build tunnels to every house from schools so kids can get to school safely? you're just advocating for mass social engineering that is totally unnecessary - remove the risks that are inherent to cars to elderly peoples, disabled people, and children (and really anyone else, cars are fucking awful for public health) remove ten of thousands of them from the streets, lower the speed limits, and create alternatives that are accessible to everyone

Old Posted Nov 5, 2019, 1:03 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

so skip the dish's is moving into true north square
https://www.chrisd.ca/2019/11/04/ski...E#.XcCTRpmvBEE

Old Posted Nov 5, 2019, 1:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ajs View Post
so skip the dish's is moving into true north square
https://www.chrisd.ca/2019/11/04/ski...E#.XcCTRpmvBEE

what happened to the purpose-built tower (railside?) that everyone here was certain they were building?

Old Posted Nov 5, 2019, 1:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by headhorse View Post
I wasn't arguing against proper rapid transit, but why does that need to be underground in a massive tunnel system? is the solution for disabled or elderly peoples to live healthy lives in cities to force them underground? should we also build tunnels to every house from schools so kids can get to school safely? you're just advocating for mass social engineering that is totally unnecessary - remove the risks that are inherent to cars to elderly peoples, disabled people, and children (and really anyone else, cars are fucking awful for public health) remove ten of thousands of them from the streets, lower the speed limits, and create alternatives that are accessible to everyone
You say you want good rapid transit but then question the effectiveness of an underground? Have you ever even used a metro? I don’t think we’d be having this conversation if you had. Do you advocate for removing the downtown skywalks? They’re just for fashion after all? Lol, This January get your ass in a wheelchair and go wheel yourself around different neighbourhoods in winnipeg. Try wheeling around. Good luck. Imagine you’re 80 years old and can no longer drive and live in an area without any sidewalks. You have limited balance. Do you expect them to walk in the middle of an unploughed Street to wait for a bus that comes once an hour in minus 30? Wouldn’t it be nice to move to a facility that was connected to transit that could take you anywhere you needed to go without planning for a trek across the arctic? Imagine you live at the new housing development at polo park, you’re going to a hockey game, so you come out of your apartment, go down an elevator, walk underground to polo and catch a train to portage place which takes you to the mts centre? No cars no worrying about parking, no jackets, no worrying about weather or frostbite. this is what Winnipeg needs to do.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2019, 4:10 AM
surely you agree with me

Quote:
Originally Posted by borkborkbork View Post
what happened to the purpose-built tower (railside?) that everyone here was certain they were building?
SKIP bailed. Building permit pulled.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2019, 4:30 AM

^ a heavy rail metro system in Winnipeg would be a dream come true in an ideal world, (perhaps some amazing resource discovery will be made in northern Manitoba that will give this province the per capita GDP of Norway?), but it is unrealistic. This city does not have the population or the density required to support such a system, and at present has low ridership levels relative even to other Canadian cities. The cost, which could be anywhere from $500 to $800 million PER KILOMETRE, is prohibitive here.

https://pedestrianobservations.com/2...costs-so-high/

What is feasible, and going forward should be the transportation plan, are two to three LRT lines, mainly grade separated, as in Kitchener's Ion Line, Hamilton's planned B Line or the two lines in the Twin Cities, which have been successful well beyond even the most optimistic of expectations. BRT expansion should be scrapped as it will not increase ridership nor lead to any tangible TOD. The SWBRT is essentially complete so that obviously will stay as is.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2019, 5:27 AM
There is always a way

Thumbs up

Quote:
LOL the very definition of irony. You do crack me up sometimes...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
^ a heavy rail metro system in Winnipeg would be a dream come true in an ideal world, (perhaps some amazing resource discovery will be made in northern Manitoba that will give this province the per capita GDP of Norway?), but it is unrealistic. This city does not have the population or the density required to support such a system, and at present has low ridership levels relative even to other Canadian cities. The cost, which could be anywhere from $500 to $800 million PER KILOMETRE, is prohibitive here.

https://pedestrianobservations.com/2...costs-so-high/

What is feasible, and going forward should be the transportation plan, are two to three LRT lines, mainly grade separated, as in Kitchener's Ion Line, Hamilton's planned B Line or the two lines in the Twin Cities, which have been successful well beyond even the most optimistic of expectations. BRT expansion should be scrapped as it will not increase ridership nor lead to any tangible TOD. The SWBRT is essentially complete so that obviously will stay as is.
I think that the SWBRT can stay as is too since the line is basically useless to anyone not living in the middle of the fields it turns through. Too bad that essentially precludes any good transit line from ever being built along pembina.

But yes, a good LRT system is a must. Climate controlled stations too as much as possible. In fact, they could make large portions of these lines underground, especially in core areas and that would greatly help the comfort issue as well as increase demand and density to create critical mass
Federalist #10, James Madison

Old Posted Nov 5, 2019, 1:29 PM

Quote:
SKIP bailed. Building permit pulled.
radio this AM said they can't wait for a build, need to be consolidated much sooner. True North "woo'ed" them.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2019, 1:49 PM

^ Hard to compete with space that is available and ready to go tout suite

Old Posted Nov 5, 2019, 6:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
^ Hard to compete with space that is available and ready to go tout suite
Yeah, it's probably a good thing for downtown in the long run if they occupy TNS. Continue to increase density in the downtown core.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2019, 6:11 PM
BANNED

Quote:
You say you want good rapid transit but then question the effectiveness of an underground? Have you ever even used a metro? I don’t think we’d be having this conversation if you had. Do you advocate for removing the downtown skywalks? They’re just for fashion after all? Lol, This January get your ass in a wheelchair and go wheel yourself around different neighbourhoods in winnipeg. Try wheeling around. Good luck. Imagine you’re 80 years old and can no longer drive and live in an area without any sidewalks. You have limited balance. Do you expect them to walk in the middle of an unploughed Street to wait for a bus that comes once an hour in minus 30? Wouldn’t it be nice to move to a facility that was connected to transit that could take you anywhere you needed to go without planning for a trek across the arctic? Imagine you live at the new housing development at polo park, you’re going to a hockey game, so you come out of your apartment, go down an elevator, walk underground to polo and catch a train to portage place which takes you to the mts centre? No cars no worrying about parking, no jackets, no worrying about weather or frostbite. this is what Winnipeg needs to do.
who are all these seniors that you know that can even afford to go to jets games or live in fancy new apartments? again, this is all a pipe dream. the big issue is you don't personally like winnipeg's weather. fine. I hear Europe is fairly mild. you don't need to destroy the land and landscape here just because you don't like it.

this again, advocating solutions to a problem with the same "solutions" we've been using for 50 years. more crime? add more cops. cars isolating people and making going outside inhospitable? make everyone go underground so they don't have to get in the way of traffic

Old Posted Nov 5, 2019, 6:14 PM
Starring as himself

Quote:
who are all these seniors that you know that can even afford to go to jets games or live in fancy new apartments? again, this is all a pipe dream. the big issue is you don't personally like winnipeg's weather. fine. I hear Europe is fairly mild. you don't need to destroy the land and landscape here just because you don't like it.

this again, advocating solutions to a problem with the same "solutions" we've been using for 50 years. more crime? add more cops. cars isolating people and making going outside inhospitable? make everyone go underground so they don't have to get in the way of traffic
I live in Toronto and I don’t remember seeing people in the subway in winter who weren’t dressed for winter. The fantasy subway sounds a lot nicer than the real subway, and a lot warmer too.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2019, 6:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy6 View Post
I live in Toronto and I don’t remember seeing people in the subway in winter who weren’t dressed for winter. The fantasy subway sounds a lot nicer than the real subway, and a lot warmer too.
Montreal's metro stations are a lot warmer in winter (despite Montreal having a colder winter climate) as it's fully underground. It has to be as the trains have rubber tires. Toronto has a lot of at grade track outside of the downtown core.

By the way, nowadays it is the younger cohorts who are the poor ones. Seniors are relatively well off.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2019, 9:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags_in_the_peg View Post
radio this AM said they can't wait for a build, need to be consolidated much sooner. True North "woo'ed" them.
They were able to move now with a fixed price cheaper than a new build..

No construction surprises or fighting with building permits.

Their rent will be at least $5.00 less than anywhere else as there is a subsidy due to the realty tax freeze negotiated with the City.

It’s good for them, it’s good for TN it’s not so great for The Exchange.

Let’s find a way to fill the up coming vacancies...

Old Posted Nov 5, 2019, 10:55 PM
BANNED

the problem with the exchange is the same as osborne village, the rent is about 2x what the market can support

I know of at least 5 people who want to open a business in Winnipeg (with limited capital) and the biggest obstacle is finding affordable retail spaces. they are hundreds of vacancies, but none actually charging a rent thats reflective of what the market can bear.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2019, 4:01 AM

Quote:
the problem with the exchange is the same as osborne village, the rent is about 2x what the market can support

I know of at least 5 people who want to open a business in Winnipeg (with limited capital) and the biggest obstacle is finding affordable retail spaces. they are hundreds of vacancies, but none actually charging a rent thats reflective of what the market can bear.
can someone explain to me the economics of this?

i understand in places with less savvy owners who just convince themselves their space is worth more than the market will pay.

but some of downtown RE is owned by fairly sophisticated investors. are there tax writeoffs from having vacant properties that subsidize their decision to hold the line on a vacant space instead of reducing rent?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan