HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals

Old Posted Dec 18, 2022, 3:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DelcoAF View Post
Hello, this is my first post with this username but i've been a member here since 2005, I had to create a new account.

This project has been put on the shelf. The GC Hunter Roberts removed all their staff and trailers. I heard they're just going to backfill the hole to street level and revisit it whenever that day arrives.
Has this happened before? pretty surprising to do when they spent so much on the archeological dig and preservation to not move forward. I guess we will see, but if this is the case the Durst org should not be trusted with the Penns landing redevelopment. It is also wild to me that so many other companies are bullish on Philly; SLC, Midwood and National but Durst and Toll are so tepid.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2022, 1:55 AM

Well that sucks. Let's hope this isn't a bigger pause to with the impending highway capping. Should have awarded the riverfront property to someone local that actually has a stake in the city

Old Posted Dec 19, 2022, 3:03 PM

wow. What an absolutely craptastic development here.

This seems crazy. Eff those guys.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2022, 3:04 PM
Chris

Quote:
Hello, this is my first post with this username but i've been a member here since 2005, I had to create a new account.

This project has been put on the shelf. The GC Hunter Roberts removed all their staff and trailers. I heard they're just going to backfill the hole to street level and revisit it whenever that day arrives.

Edit This move was made by the Durst group i'm hearing.
Do you have any intel into the reasons why? Market conditions, lack of ROI, financial issues with Durst, etc.?

I find it bizarre that this organization thinks Philadelphia cannot support another residential building...

Old Posted Dec 19, 2022, 3:52 PM

I guess we're lucky that they didn't demolish anything before hand. The design was okay but I was still very excited for this because I felt like it was a big project for the riverfront. It's kind of baffling they shelved it with the Festival Pier and Canal street project going at full steam ahead. The Delaware River Waterfront Corporation has one of the best track records of any organization in Philly for getting shit done so I'm still hopeful for the other Durst project by Penn's Landing highway cap.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2022, 4:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadandMarket View Post
I guess we're lucky that they didn't demolish anything before hand. The design was okay but I was still very excited for this because I felt like it was a big project for the riverfront. It's kind of baffling they shelved it with the Festival Pier and Canal street project going at full steam ahead. The Delaware River Waterfront Corporation has one of the best track records of any organization in Philly for getting shit done so I'm still hopeful for the other Durst project by Penn's Landing highway cap.
Durst can suck it. They closed the marina there displacing dozens of people who lived on their boats. They said it was for "surveying" but all they ever did was they just took out the docks.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2022, 4:42 PM

Do we have any credible source saying that this project isn’t moving forward, or is it all just hearsay and rumor from Reddit?

Old Posted Dec 19, 2022, 9:27 PM

I'm going to wait until we see a legitimate source on this.... until then, I won't believe this is more than rumor.

Why would Durst spend all this time, money and energy to do a archeological survey of the site, PLUS start foundation work, just to cover things back up and put the project on pause???

This building won't be done for 2 years. They really don't think the market will be rebounding 2 years from now? Plus it's a rental building and rentals are in extremely high demand in Philadelphia.

If this does turn out to be TRUE, Durst should absolutely 100% be stripped of development rights of Penn's Landing and the project should be awarded to a developer that cares to get the project done. If Durst can't commit to one 26 floor apartment building in Philadelphia.... why should the city have ANY confidence whatsoever that they can commit to 8+ buildings, most of which will be taller with mixed-uses and greenspace?

Old Posted Dec 19, 2022, 10:03 PM

That sucks. This thing was first proposed back in January of 2020. Covid was prime but still, projects were moving and being built. But it's still not terribly surprising since, as I said before, waterfront projects always seem to fall through. Relative to what's been proposed vs what's actually been built, the waterfront seems like the least reliable location in the City for getting stuff built.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2022, 1:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgrath618 View Post
Do we have any credible source saying that this project isn’t moving forward, or is it all just hearsay and rumor from Reddit?
People are losing their shit because some guy used his first post on the forum to spread a rumor.

"I want to be angry! Give me any excuse!"

Old Posted Dec 20, 2022, 2:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McBane View Post
That sucks. This thing was first proposed back in January of 2020. Covid was prime but still, projects were moving and being built. But it's still not terribly surprising since, as I said before, waterfront projects always seem to fall through. Relative to what's been proposed vs what's actually been built, the waterfront seems like the least reliable location in the City for getting stuff built.
Historically that would be true except for the thousands of new apartments that are under construction currently? Just north of here. That's also the waterfront.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2022, 4:21 PM

Heard the same rumor from someone who works on the site and a friend who lives on the block 3-4 weeks ago. There's been no recent activity on the site either. 0 people working there today. This would be a real unfortunate turn of events if true especially with all of the other action happening just north of here

Old Posted Dec 20, 2022, 10:10 PM

^^Then Durst needs to be stripped of development rights of Penn's Landing. They can't be trusted.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2022, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rd&Brown View Post
Historically that would be true except for the thousands of new apartments that are under construction currently? Just north of here. That's also the waterfront.
I didn't say nothing gets built here. I just mean there's history of all these big bold projects (public and private) that have fizzled. Moreso than other neighborhoods. Maybe it's perception.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2022, 2:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin7 View Post
People are losing their shit because some guy used his first post on the forum to spread a rumor.

"I want to be angry! Give me any excuse!"
You're correct it's my first post with this username. I've been on this forum since 2005.

But you know the old quote. Believe none of what you hear and half of what you see. Be well.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2022, 3:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McBane View Post
I didn't say nothing gets built here. I just mean there's history of all these big bold projects (public and private) that have fizzled. Moreso than other neighborhoods. Maybe it's perception.
It's just bizarre that they would go through what was a crazy situation with the historical dig this turned into. Only to bail once the foundation was set.

These guys are the worst. They are literally known for sitting on properties forever.

Old Posted Dec 22, 2022, 12:57 AM

I swung by today, I was mistaken the job trailers are still onsite. The information I was told around thanksgiving was the trailers had to be off the property by the end of that week. See images below.

Old Posted Dec 22, 2022, 2:16 AM
Midrise

Quote:
I swung by today, I was mistaken the job trailers are still onsite. The information I was told around thanksgiving was the trailers had to be off the property by the end of that week. See images below.

So much handwringing and outrage for an apparently baseless rumor.

Old Posted Dec 22, 2022, 1:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayfar View Post
So much handwringing and outrage for an apparently baseless rumor.
well if no one has seen workers on site for days or weeks its still not good. There still must be some sort of issue stalling the project.

Old Posted Dec 22, 2022, 3:24 PM

That looks like a filled in hole to me.

Either that or there was never a parking garage planned?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals