HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jan 5, 2021, 2:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueviking View Post
Ah. I see. I didn't think you meant a full new national museum. That would be great.
Indigenous organizations are one of the few areas that seem to be able to leverage federal funding which is going to be needed for the Bay building redevelopment.

As others have suggested, a national museum is likely to happen somewhere in Canada for Indigenous culture, language and history.

Winnipeg is on Treaty 1 land. Treaty 1 being the first to be signed by the modern Canadian government.

Winnipeg is said to have the highest percentage of Indigenous people of the major Canadian urban centres. There are also five distinct Indigenous groups that have significant representation in Winnipeg already.

There is also something to be said about the symbolism for the former HQ of Hudsons Bay becoming a national museum of this stature.

The challenge is while the back of a napkin pitch of the idea has a lot of merit in the current societal context it very much is an idea that needs to have significant Indigenous leadership and cooperation behind it to get moving forward. I am not sure if that is there.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2021, 8:20 PM

Drove by the east side yesterday. Bunch of graffiti on the 2nd floor already.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2021, 8:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTA in Winnipeg View Post
Won't the Downtown BIZ deal with as it had in the past?

Old Posted Jan 12, 2021, 8:56 PM

the vaughan side has been bad for awhile now.. even before the closing with an easy place to scale off the parkade.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2021, 10:10 PM

Assuming the "canopy" of whatever it is over the sidewalk can support a person it likely won't be long until the west side near the north corner has graffiti. That is a pretty prominent place to get your tag.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2021, 6:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTA in Winnipeg View Post
That's been there for quite a while

Old Posted Jan 19, 2021, 1:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryB View Post
Indigenous organizations are one of the few areas that seem to be able to leverage federal funding which is going to be needed for the Bay building redevelopment.

As others have suggested, a national museum is likely to happen somewhere in Canada for Indigenous culture, language and history.

Winnipeg is on Treaty 1 land. Treaty 1 being the first to be signed by the modern Canadian government.

Winnipeg is said to have the highest percentage of Indigenous people of the major Canadian urban centres. There are also five distinct Indigenous groups that have significant representation in Winnipeg already.

There is also something to be said about the symbolism for the former HQ of Hudsons Bay becoming a national museum of this stature.

The challenge is while the back of a napkin pitch of the idea has a lot of merit in the current societal context it very much is an idea that needs to have significant Indigenous leadership and cooperation behind it to get moving forward. I am not sure if that is there.
As an Indigenous person born in Winnipeg, I do have to say that I personally don't think this is a great use of space for the building.

If you really want to make an indigenous museum, it needs to be architecturally significant like the Human Rights Museum and probably located at The Forks (the grounds we gathered for thousands of years).

HBC has a very frayed relationship with indigenous peoples in my opinion. They "sold" Rupert's Land to Canada (literally European-to-European-only transactions without indigenous knowledge) and there a bunch of other difficult histories that have never been reconciled.

To me, HBC is an ugly corporation and I'd never want to be associated with them knowing their deeper histories.

Not only that, but Winnipeg has a lot of racists and they're usually expressed from downtown crowds (mainly because of all the homeless).

When it comes to building a business case for revenue for an indigenous museum, you'd rather prefer to piggyback your marketing onto CMHR and be in its vicinity to encourage a theme of space for The Forks.

That itself would become more of an attraction imho.

I think for this downtown building, the better use of it would be mixed-use. I live in California now and there's a place called 8th and Grand in LA that I love. I think that should serve as inspiration for the 1st floor for the old HBC building.

Imagine the front of Portage Avenue serving as open restaurants in the summer and indoor cafe-like seating by winter.

The top 2-3 floors can be lofts/residential (because there's a hipster market for these kinds of conversions). I've seen some in Toronto with similar widths to HBC. They're not the prettiest (like unpainted wood frame stairs) but people were paying $3K/mo for them just because they had a 2nd floor/lofty/trendy space.

I even believe the renovation happening on Smith street is following this loft model and creating 2-floor residential suites where they floor once separated them.

I think Manitoba needs more of the right tech accelerators, more fostering of non-traditional businesses and create a new space for entrepreneurship. I think the mid floors there should be a 'We Work' like company.

A We Work-like space IS AMAZING IF YOU HAVEN'T ALREADY TRIED IT!

As an entrepreneur myself in the tech industry, it was honestly the best networking and working experience in general I've had being self-employed.

I truly understood why millennials just ate it up like hotcakes!

The bookable meeting spaces, floating workspaces, secured work desks and access to office supplies/equipment are just some of the perks.

Such a 24/7 space could also serve students in the nearby area.

If Manitoba wants to retain tech talent, they need to foster it. When you really look at the big picture, all these tech opportunities are arising but Manitoba is still stuck on banking/financial and agribusiness as its primary industries.

Otherwise people like myself move-out of Manitoba and pay 6-figure taxes to other governments.

And as much as we want to say Manitoba is a manufacturer, let's just say the provincial government is stretching their words at this point in my opinion. That CanadaPort project is basically complete, but we didn't see the building spree we hoped for. Companies like Boeing are just there for $60M in tax breaks.

Tech is where its at! We will only likely see an explosion in online entrepreneurialism in the Prairies over the next generation as Elon Musk's Starlink begins connecting more hundreds of thousands of Manitoba/Sasks to higher speed internet where there was little-or-no coverage before.

Santiago, Chile is an amazing example of how building space combined with government changes could lead to purposeful growth in the tech industry. Their accelerator programs there are amazingly ace!

Budding entrepreneurs and startups are often short in capital and really there is no other cheaper/better Canadian city than Winnipeg. Capitalizing on that is a must.

Anyway, thanks for coming to my TedTalk.

tldr; Diversify, reinvent and reorient this space towards tech.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2021, 2:15 AM

Well said Kelly. A WeWork or another large co-working space would be a wonderful use of some of the Hudson Bay building. It would instantly become a hub for the start up / creative industries in Winnipeg. And that sort of environment would pay dividends for many decades to come.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2021, 4:21 AM

A lot of food for thought there... something like that would be a best case scenario next to possibly a large out of town corporation buying it and setting up a huge corporate office in there. But how much tech incubator space could Winnipeg hope to absorb? I'd be amazed if we could fill a single floor of the building with that type of use.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2021, 4:50 AM

not to mention that new Smart Park Innovation Hub building that was just opened anchored by Bold last year by the U of M.. don't know if that is fully occupied even.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2021, 6:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
not to mention that new Smart Park Innovation Hub building that was just opened anchored by Bold last year by the U of M.. don't know if that is fully occupied even.
It's fully occupied and Bold is likely going to be moving out in the not too distant future. They're already over capacity at their main office and will likely build another building very soon (they also have people in the Shindico office on Taylor). Undecided if they expand near their current building, or perhaps build a satellite office downtown.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2021, 8:12 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

what about something like this

https://westbeth.org/

you dont bring the whole thing online at once

Old Posted Jan 19, 2021, 4:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
It's fully occupied and Bold is likely going to be moving out in the not too distant future. They're already over capacity at their main office and will likely build another building very soon (they also have people in the Shindico office on Taylor). Undecided if they expand near their current building, or perhaps build a satellite office downtown.
Ohhhh this wins post of the week! Very good news I wonder if anyone's told them there's a 650,000sqft. building downtown that has space if they need it?

Old Posted Jan 19, 2021, 4:17 PM

With Bold as an anchor tenant suddenly a tech incubator space seems more feasible...

Old Posted Jan 19, 2021, 4:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
A lot of food for thought there... something like that would be a best case scenario next to possibly a large out of town corporation buying it and setting up a huge corporate office in there. But how much tech incubator space could Winnipeg hope to absorb? I'd be amazed if we could fill a single floor of the building with that type of use.
This could be more possible than you think:

Quote:
Winnipeg rounds out the list of Canadian cities in the Next 25 list, at No. 22, boasting a total tech labour pool of 15,400 workers and having produced 378 tech graduates in 2018.
CBRE Article

All we would need to do is invest a bit into tech startup culture in Winnipeg, and subsidize the Bay building for tech office use. A larger office floorplate is actually more desired by the tech industry as opposed to working from taller towers with smaller office floor plates - which the Bay building would offer. Examples include the Googleplex in San Francisco (which is an extreme comparison) or the Post in Vancouver which has 33% of its space pre-leased out to Amazon and eerily shares similar historical architecture lol. Btw, I'm not suggesting that we touch the architecture of the Bay building at all to attract tech start ups.

Sure, Winnipeg doesn't have the established tech culture that other Canadian cities have but it definitely has a building that has the right bones to house tech companies if the city chooses to take the steps necessary to attract tech companies. Just working off of the 2018 grad stat, if you could theoretically relocate them to work in the Bay building leading it to have 1-2 floors worth of daily use that is economical for the city.

Pinterest - I use this social media platform to easily add pictures into my posts on this forum. Plus there are great architecture and city photos out there as well.

Last edited by scryer; Jan 19, 2021 at 4:39 PM.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2021, 4:49 PM
What could go wrong?

Sort of on topic...I follow this channel on YouTube called the B1M. Lots of great architecture stories from around the world.

One of the latest features was on Manchester in the UK. An industrial city in the northern UK that had to re-invent itself into a tech centre. I know it is quite a bit larger than Winnipeg at 2.5-3 million people but interesting still.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fuTIDc5ug-Y
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Jan 19, 2021, 6:39 PM
Source?

I see Bold coming up in convo again as a potential positive so I figured I'd show up and be the badguy again.

Bold will NEVER move downtown. They gave up more space at lower costs downtown to move to UofM. If (big if) Bold decides to move again it will be in the suburbs.

They no longer occupy the space on Taylor, they gave that up when they moved to UofM. And a large number of their employees (roughly 25%) will never go back to the office and will continue to work from home going forward. They have also begun to recruit talent outside of Winnipeg in a full time offsite role. They recently hired a couple of devs from Calgary that work from home in Calgary. They also continue to expand in Austin Texas.

Bold is not interested in downtown development, they're interested in more parking spots.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2021, 6:52 PM

As an Indigenous person born in Thompson, I'd religiously make jokes about avoiding the small pox blanket displays at the Bay. They'd always set them up by an exit, which would make me alter my path - just to be safe.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2021, 7:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wigglez View Post
I see Bold coming up in convo again as a potential positive so I figured I'd show up and be the badguy again.

Bold will NEVER move downtown. They gave up more space at lower costs downtown to move to UofM. If (big if) Bold decides to move again it will be in the suburbs.

They no longer occupy the space on Taylor, they gave that up when they moved to UofM. And a large number of their employees (roughly 25%) will never go back to the office and will continue to work from home going forward. They have also begun to recruit talent outside of Winnipeg in a full time offsite role. They recently hired a couple of devs from Calgary that work from home in Calgary. They also continue to expand in Austin Texas.

Bold is not interested in downtown development, they're interested in more parking spots.
The thing about the pandemic and working from home (I'd be surprised if it's only 25% that stay home in a company like that) is that there is going to be a lot more parking available downtown and some dirt-cheap deals on office space in the future. You don't need to go to the suburbs for that anymore, you can have the best of both worlds. Also pretty silly to prioritize parking when working from home is going to become the norm for half your staff anyway.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2021, 7:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KellyEdwards View Post
As an Indigenous person born in Winnipeg, I do have to say that I personally don't think this is a great use of space for the building.

If you really want to make an indigenous museum, it needs to be architecturally significant like the Human Rights Museum and probably located at The Forks (the grounds we gathered for thousands of years).

HBC has a very frayed relationship with indigenous peoples in my opinion. They "sold" Rupert's Land to Canada (literally European-to-European-only transactions without indigenous knowledge) and there a bunch of other difficult histories that have never been reconciled.

To me, HBC is an ugly corporation and I'd never want to be associated with them knowing their deeper histories.

When it comes to building a business case for revenue for an indigenous museum, you'd rather prefer to piggyback your marketing onto CMHR and be in its vicinity to encourage a theme of space for The Forks.

That itself would become more of an attraction imho.
That is just it though, you cannot tell the history of Canada's Indigenous people without also getting into the role Hudson's Bay Company played. In terms of synergy I would make a case that Portage and Memorial has stronger synergy to Indigenous history, culture and education than The Forks.

On the culture side, Winnipeg Art Gallery to the west will soon have the largest public space dedicated to Inuit art.

On the history side, to the south is the Manitoba Archives which is home to the historic records of HBC which are vital to documenting the history of Indigenous people. It is also the public facing location for all historic documents of Manitoba so records of the role the Metis played in the formation of Manitoba would be there too.

On the education side, a little to the west is University of Winnipeg that is working to create best in Canada education programs for areas like Indigenous governance.

In terms of the Canadian Museum for Human Rights, the amount of emphasis they put on Canadian issues is often significantly downplayed v international issues. For instance one of the galleries is dedicated to the Holocaust, not to say the history of Residential Schools. The presentation of issues specific to Canadian Indigenous people there is often more a secondary concern that the broader concepts the museum presents.

Quote:
I think for this downtown building, the better use of it would be mixed-use. I live in California now and there's a place called 8th and Grand in LA that I love. I think that should serve as inspiration for the 1st floor for the old HBC building.

Imagine the front of Portage Avenue serving as open restaurants in the summer and indoor cafe-like seating by winter.

The top 2-3 floors can be lofts/residential (because there's a hipster market for these kinds of conversions). I've seen some in Toronto with similar widths to HBC. They're not the prettiest (like unpainted wood frame stairs) but people were paying $3K/mo for them just because they had a 2nd floor/lofty/trendy space.
I have heard that two of the biggest challenges with a residential conversion as you purpose is the large floor size of the building and the significantly above market cost to renovate the space. The floor size is a challenge as the amount of space access to natural light within a reasonable distance makes residential conversion challenging. ie would you say want a two bedroom apartment/condo where one bedroom has a window, the second doesn't and the shared living space/kitchen also doesn't have any natural light? It's why the "donut" concept is popular, basically making one or more light wells into the building but that wouldn't be done cheaply. The other challenge is downtown Winnipeg doesn't currently have a high enough demand for residential that charging people a premium for this project could make it work.

Quote:
I think Manitoba needs more of the right tech accelerators, more fostering of non-traditional businesses and create a new space for entrepreneurship. I think the mid floors there should be a 'We Work' like company.

A We Work-like space IS AMAZING IF YOU HAVEN'T ALREADY TRIED IT!

As an entrepreneur myself in the tech industry, it was honestly the best networking and working experience in general I've had being self-employed.

[cut]

If Manitoba wants to retain tech talent, they need to foster it. When you really look at the big picture, all these tech opportunities are arising but Manitoba is still stuck on banking/financial and agribusiness as its primary industries.
I have been an advocate of Manitoba doing more to foster tech startups for a number of years now. The economic return from feeding the tech guppies and helping them whales is going to be far more successful long term then putting that same sort of money to launch a campaign to try and bring home an existing tech whale (Amazon HQ2).

That said I think a better place for the tech accelerator would actually be the Exchange or perhaps the Marketlands development. Many of the existing like minded companies are already located there and setting up something like a WeWork space in the area could further expand what has been happening organically. That said I have to wonder what sort of long term impact the current pandemic will have on places like WeWork. There has definitely been a shift from the need for physical presence to more acceptance of an online one. I think new startups are going to be better positioned to take advantage of that than more established companies with significant investments in office spaces.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan