HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Jun 30, 2022, 2:50 AM

The Beer Store in Ontario still carries some of the beers that were once big sellers but not all locations have them.

Some of the ones I've seen lately are OV, Labatt Crystal, Labatt 50

Ones that are no longer available in Ontario are Molson Golden, Schooner

There are definitely some others but I can't remember right now.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2022, 2:56 AM

I remember from my high school days the Labatt Ice commercials featuring ballet dancer Alexander Godunov. He died not long after making those ads likely due to his alcoholism. Gudunov was in the first Die Hard movie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RLhoFFJMHX8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yHCrOUi50SU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VtEZy6z4P8c

Old Posted Jun 30, 2022, 4:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loco101 View Post
The Beer Store in Ontario still carries some of the beers that were once big sellers but not all locations have them.

Some of the ones I've seen lately are OV, Labatt Crystal, Labatt 50

Ones that are no longer available in Ontario are Molson Golden, Schooner

There are definitely some others but I can't remember right now.
Wow. No more Golden. I'm sure I saw it at my beer store in the last few months. 50 is still available the last time I was here. I also see on the Beer Store website that Stock Ale is gone

https://www.quinnsalehouse.com/index.php#drinks

Cinquante is 'en fut' and seems to be still available.

https://www.thelaff.ca/menu 50 en fut available at The Laff but $9 for a pint..

Last edited by Proof Sheet; Jun 30, 2022 at 4:53 AM.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2022, 5:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proof Sheet View Post
Wow. No more Golden. I'm sure I saw it at my beer store in the last few months. 50 is still available the last time I was here. I also see on the Beer Store website that Stock Ale is gone

https://www.quinnsalehouse.com/index.php#drinks

Cinquante is 'en fut' and seems to be still available.

https://www.thelaff.ca/menu 50 en fut available at The Laff but $9 for a pint..
Molson Golden was brought back for a short while a year or two ago was available at the LCBO and Beer Store and was sold in large single gold bottles. I haven't seen it recently.

Yeah, Molson Stock Ale is no longer available after being sold at the Beer Store for many decades. The Molson-Coors website still show it as one of their beers but I'm betting that they just haven't updated it. They Stock Ale didn't have a logo change like all of the other Molson varieties.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2022, 5:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
I occasionally used to buy OV but I have to admit I haven't seen it in a while, probably not for at least a few years. I just checked the Northern Hotel on Skip the Dishes and they don't have it.

I love those old beers that were popular when I was younger like Blue, Canadian, OV, Club, 50, Ice, Kokanee, Standard, etc., but honest to God they all taste exactly the same to me

Only the stronger and light beers are easily discernible.
50 is actually really good. It's kind of a weissbier.

My dad used to be a touring musician and told me Kokanee used to be a highlight of playing mountain towns back when it was only available in the mountains. Now that it's a macro brand, it's sort of like OV--consistently inconsistent. Sometimes nectar, sometimes barley funk.

Standard and Club don't taste the same but I don't think I could explain the difference. Standard is kind of bitter, but not in a hoppy way. But maybe Club is too? It's been a while since I've even seen club.

The standard bearers--Blue and Canadian--are pretty generic.

If you ever see Labatt Genuine, buy it. That's a delicious, smooth beer--almost like a cerveza. I used to find it regularly at the New Cavalier vendor. Made the Cav a must-stop on the way out to the lake.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2022, 12:24 PM
sick transit, gloria

I love the Stock Ale logo for some reason, though didn't enjoy drinking it so much. I also quite enjoy Labatt 50 and would set it apart in taste from other macros, and in certain settings it's a go-to. Most of those settings are when I'm in Ottawa and can get it in quart bottles.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2022, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by niwell View Post
I love the Stock Ale logo for some reason, though didn't enjoy drinking it so much. I also quite enjoy Labatt 50 and would set it apart in taste from other macros, and in certain settings it's a go-to. Most of those settings are when I'm in Ottawa and can get it in quart bottles.
Quart bottles are getting harder and harder to find in Ottawa these days. The Carleton and the Prescott and maybe the Laff are the only places I can recall. I believe you can get 50 in quart bottles in Hull and many deps.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2022, 12:40 PM
sick transit, gloria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proof Sheet View Post
Quart bottles are getting harder and harder to find in Ottawa these days. The Carleton and the Prescott and maybe the Laff are the only places I can recall. I believe you can get 50 in quart bottles in Hull and many deps.
Shame. I went to the Carleton for the first time recently while on a bike ride and had one - always wanted to check that place out and the environment is perfect for quarts of 50. The Laff used to be a staple of mine in the early 2000s so it was a shock to see they'd expanded into the neighbouring storefront and had Dominion City on tap as well as quarts! Lucky Ron was still there though - not sure if he still is, this was pre-COVID.

The Dominion Tavern (Dirty Dom) also had quarts when I was there last, which was last summer. Also the same bartender as 20 years ago.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2022, 2:17 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loco101 View Post
I remember from my high school days the Labatt Ice commercials featuring ballet dancer Alexander Godunov. He died not long after making those ads likely due to his alcoholism. Gudunov was in the first Die Hard movie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RLhoFFJMHX8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yHCrOUi50SU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VtEZy6z4P8c

Alexander Godunov was a great villain. He was also good in "Witness" as an Amish

Old Posted Jun 30, 2022, 2:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by north 42 View Post
I often get OV on tap when the choices are limited, it’s much better than Coor’s Light. OV is very popular still here in Windsor and Essex County.
Lol, I was going to say, the only time I ever see (and then buy) OV is when we go down to play rugby against Chatham and they host their beer-up at the Legion

Old Posted Jun 30, 2022, 2:34 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by niwell View Post
Shame. I went to the Carleton for the first time recently while on a bike ride and had one - always wanted to check that place out and the environment is perfect for quarts of 50. The Laff used to be a staple of mine in the early 2000s so it was a shock to see they'd expanded into the neighbouring storefront and had Dominion City on tap as well as quarts! Lucky Ron was still there though - not sure if he still is, this was pre-COVID.

The Dominion Tavern (Dirty Dom) also had quarts when I was there last, which was last summer. Also the same bartender as 20 years ago.
I seem to recall that Lio bought a building with a tavern, which sold quarts. Somewhere in Sherbrooke, Quebec.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2022, 3:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biguc View Post
50 is actually really good. It's kind of a weissbier.

My dad used to be a touring musician and told me Kokanee used to be a highlight of playing mountain towns back when it was only available in the mountains. Now that it's a macro brand, it's sort of like OV--consistently inconsistent. Sometimes nectar, sometimes barley funk.

Standard and Club don't taste the same but I don't think I could explain the difference. Standard is kind of bitter, but not in a hoppy way. But maybe Club is too? It's been a while since I've even seen club.

The standard bearers--Blue and Canadian--are pretty generic.

If you ever see Labatt Genuine, buy it. That's a delicious, smooth beer--almost like a cerveza. I used to find it regularly at the New Cavalier vendor. Made the Cav a must-stop on the way out to the lake.
I remember Kokanee had a certain regional cachet at one point, when my dad travelled out west for work like 30+ years ago he and his colleagues would enjoy some... some of them even brought cases back to Manitoba. But of course it has long since lost that appeal... familiarity breeds contempt, haha

Not sure if you heard that MolsonCoors recently announced that they will be discontinuing Standard Lager for good later this year. That might be the last remaining Manitoba regional product produced by a big brewer.

I bought my last case of Labatt Genuine a few years ago and enjoyed it, but it's one of those beers I seldom see. I tend to buy at the LC where there is way less variety than at some of the big hotel vendors.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2022, 5:26 PM
Great White Norf

growing up in Southern Ontario I remember hearing of Kokanee having almost mythical status of "the best beer brewed with pure glacial Rocky Mountain water"

and then the commercials that were running on TV in Ontario during the mid-late 90s were like "BC's mountain beer, is finally here!" and it became mass produced at every Labatt brewery and purists said it turned to junk.

Is it still made in Creston, BC?

Old Posted Jun 30, 2022, 5:31 PM

^ Did it really change, or did it just become common and lose its cachet?

Old Posted Jul 1, 2022, 5:09 PM
Great White Norf

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
^ Did it really change, or did it just become common and lose its cachet?
I never tried the stuff direct from Creston, but can't imagine it was vastly different.

Happy Canada Day everyone!

Old Posted Jul 1, 2022, 5:13 PM
The Vomit Bag.

I prefer Kootenay over Kookanee.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2022, 6:12 PM
Great White Norf

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
I prefer Kootenay over Kookanee.
now I want to try it

Old Posted Apr 9, 2023, 2:23 PM
Mooderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wigs View Post
growing up in Southern Ontario I remember hearing of Kokanee having almost mythical status of "the best beer brewed with pure glacial Rocky Mountain water"

and then the commercials that were running on TV in Ontario during the mid-late 90s were like "BC's mountain beer, is finally here!" and it became mass produced at every Labatt brewery and purists said it turned to junk.

Is it still made in Creston, BC?
Sorry for resurrecting this thread. Well, no. not sorry.

Kokanee really milked that 'fresh glacial water' thing. Much like Dasani is exquisite local tap water, chilled in a 7-eleven cooler for maximum freshness.

Anyone try Bud Light Chelada? The beer and clam sensation? I bet Proof Sheet has cases hoarded away in his garage for future summer garden parties.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2023, 4:02 PM

Kokanee was kind of like a craft beer before there was craft beer, it had a certain short-lived cachet in the early/mid 90s if memory serves correctly. Especially before it went national... my dad had a couple of work buddies who would bring some home when on work trips to BC.

Whatever happened to some of those 90s brands like LABATT MAXIMUM ICE, Red Dog (I think that's what it was?) and such?

Old Posted Apr 9, 2023, 4:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harls View Post
Anyone try Bud Light Chelada? The beer and clam sensation? I bet Proof Sheet has cases hoarded away in his garage for future summer garden parties.
My secret is out

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada