HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Sep 19, 2018, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodlandCritter View Post
All cool, differing opinions on city planning/zoning/architecture. Just as I think the Traffic Bridge is not a landmark in the city. Have zero intention of buying there you are correct.
I think the Traffic bridge location is of historic note, the new bridge could have been a landmark design in it's own right, but what we ended up building was definitely no landmark, just a mediocre bridge that can't handle much traffic and looks like it might be old but at least has nice wide sidewalks for pedestrians and cyclists.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2018, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arts View Post
I think the Traffic bridge location is of historic note, the new bridge could have been a landmark design in it's own right, but what we ended up building was definitely no landmark, just a mediocre bridge that can't handle much traffic and looks like it might be old but at least has nice wide sidewalks for pedestrians and cyclists.
I agree.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2018, 12:40 AM

Old Posted Sep 20, 2018, 9:03 AM

North prairie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echoes View Post
Beautiful building a worth addition to our city scape, hope to see this get built soon.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2018, 4:25 PM

Old Posted Sep 20, 2018, 4:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arts View Post
Not to mention the horrible looking guard rails that don't match what was proposed (i.e. the same colour as the bridge).

Old Posted Sep 20, 2018, 5:08 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by prairieguy View Post
That is great news...I will have to look for the posting next time I am there! I will be able to walk for my vino now!!! Hope they have a 'growler' station too!
I'm not too familiar with that area of Saskatoon, but I know there is a liquor store planned for the Golden Mile in Regina that has been taking awhile to get started. You will notice however, that liquor licenses will very soon be able to switch hands freely and I think that both of these of places were waiting for that to happen before proceeding with development. Essentially, the liquor license for a small off sale could move to someone who wants to build a larger, stand-alone store elsewhere. That must be what is happening here (barring any issues with municipal zoning).

Old Posted Sep 20, 2018, 7:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djforsberg View Post
I'm not too familiar with that area of Saskatoon, but I know there is a liquor store planned for the Golden Mile in Regina that has been taking awhile to get started. You will notice however, that liquor licenses will very soon be able to switch hands freely and I think that both of these of places were waiting for that to happen before proceeding with development. Essentially, the liquor license for a small off sale could move to someone who wants to build a larger, stand-alone store elsewhere. That must be what is happening here (barring any issues with municipal zoning).
This must be what's happening with the Superstore in Confed as my friend who works there says they're building a new area *INSIDE* the store for a new liquor store which was surprising to me since I hadn't heard of this swapping of liquor permits that seemed to break in the news today and Loblaws wasn't in on the last batch of private liquor store permits, as well as of course the issue of it not being a stand alone building. It sounded like it would be walled off, but with an entrance from within the store (as well as outside?)--I haven't seen exactly what it looks like yet though.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2018, 9:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyku View Post
This must be what's happening with the Superstore in Confed as my friend who works there says they're building a new area *INSIDE* the store for a new liquor store which was surprising to me since I hadn't heard of this swapping of liquor permits that seemed to break in the news today and Loblaws wasn't in on the last batch of private liquor store permits, as well as of course the issue of it not being a stand alone building. It sounded like it would be walled off, but with an entrance from within the store (as well as outside?)--I haven't seen exactly what it looks like yet though.
Hmm interesting, i havent heard anything. i know the Dennis YIG in rosewood/boychuk has a liqour store that was just recently built ( or in progress ) Ill email the management there and see whats going on

Old Posted Sep 20, 2018, 9:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyku View Post
Not to mention the horrible looking guard rails that don't match what was proposed (i.e. the same colour as the bridge).
For the record, I wasn't attempting to rehash the whole traffic bridge debate, but rather that what was chosen was truly the general public's right to decide upon, and scrutinize, we put our trust in our elected officials and the expertise of appointed professionals they've authorized, to manage this on our behalf... and that was the best they could come up with, rather than risk offending a few they chose to underwhelm everyone. But private developments like the corner of Clarence and College we don't really get at all the same kind of right to criticize - we don't own that.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2018, 10:40 PM
Registered Geek

Safeway Parking Lot (University Heights)

Does anyone know what is going into the Safeway parking lot in University Heights? Construction is afoot.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2018, 10:44 PM

New 17-floor commercial and condo tower planned for primo Broadway Avenue spot
Urban Capital and Victory Majors eye 112 condos and three below-grade parking levels

Guy Quenneville · CBC News · Posted: Sep 20, 2018 4:05 PM CT | Last Updated: 32 minutes ago

Quote:
Two of the companies involved in Saskatoon's River Landing development have confirmed they're also planning a 17-floor tower in a prominent spot in the city's Broadway district.

Urban Capital and Victory Majors are scheduled to hold a public information meeting about the project on Oct. 10.

They want to build in a vacant lot, recently used as a parking lot, next to the Broadway Roastery.

The proposal calls for two floors of commercial space and 15 floors above that for 112 condos, plus three floors of underground parking with room for 122 parking stalls.

Some residents received a notice about the meeting in the mail Thursday.

News of the proposal comes on the heels of a public information session last week about a different condo development project from North Prairie Developments.

That project, pitched as 12 floors of condos and four layers of underground parking, is eyed for the corner of Clarence Avenue and College Drive near the south exit of the University Bridge.

[....]
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saska...cial-1.4832296

Old Posted Sep 20, 2018, 11:36 PM

1st off this is good news for the city and a great location, I am looking forward to the renderings.

I do think that the tower would be a bit high, maybe 14 would be better. Try to not build up to high outside of downtown. Admittingly thats just my own flimsy and silly bias. I am just glad that both those office towers are going up at River Landing and hopefully another (WTC or River Quarry).

Old Posted Sep 21, 2018, 12:19 AM

Ill be attending that public meeting. I dont live in the area, but since i manage the extra foods, thinking it may be good to sit in on it.

But pretty exciting though. I always thought it was 14-15 storeys max for that parcel. 17 works for me but i can see council asking a minimal reduction.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2018, 1:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchellk12 View Post
Ill be attending that public meeting. I dont live in the area, but since i manage the extra foods, thinking it may be good to sit in on it.

But pretty exciting though. I always thought it was 14-15 storeys max for that parcel. 17 works for me but i can see council asking a minimal reduction.
If this meeting is as dominated by NIMBYs as last week's, and you were so inclined, it might be worth commenting at the meeting that a small scale grocery store like the Extra Foods is likely to benefit from the added local customer base. I'm sure people around there value having that store, so it might shift their perspective just a bit.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2018, 1:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echoes View Post
If this meeting is as dominated by NIMBYs as last week's, and you were so inclined, it might be worth commenting at the meeting that a small scale grocery store like the Extra Foods is likely to benefit from the added local customer base. I'm sure people around there value having that store, so it might shift their perspective just a bit.
Theres alot in a ten block radius of the store.
- meridan 7 storey condo
- parcel Y river landing towers
- proposed baydo tower beside me
- proposed urban capital 17 storey tower
- proposed 12 storey NPD

Id like to talk about those developments and the benefits also, but is it a good idea to just mention them to make this new Urban Capital proposal seem good? Thoughts? Anyone have anything for me that i should bring, if nobody else is planning on attending.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2018, 8:36 AM

My thoughts are if Saskatoon wants more in-fill and have more densification instead of urban sprawl requiring more expensive highways with interchanges and bridges for the city, Saskatoon needs to take advantage with developers like Urban Capital & Victory Majors and foster even taller developments than this.

Reducing the size or simply forcing residential and office developments to the outskirts of the city makes the costs for infrastructure for the city even more expensive. Nimbys may not want development in their beloved areas of the city but if they had to put money where their mouth is and have to pay extra taxes to make up for lost taxes when new construction is deterred, they may come to the realization that they play a part in urban sprawl too.

I'm not entirely sure what the difference to anyone not living or using these future developments for the construction to be 12 storeys or 14 or 17 etc. The extra traffic in the areas is only a small fraction of what it is already there and some of these developments have no sunlight shadow affect on surrounding neighbours houses what-so-ever. Saskatoon will never graduate into reputable city status & get lost in the dust of similar sized cities like Kelowna & Regina etc if it can't build developments like those cities are currently doing.

I did a quick graphic of what the scale of a 17 storey building would like on that plot of land. Do you think it's out of proportion for the neighbourhood, keeping in mind that it's in a part of the city that's zoned for high density development?

Old Posted Sep 21, 2018, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaskScraper View Post
My thoughts are if Saskatoon wants more in-fill and have more densification instead of urban sprawl requiring more expensive highways with interchanges and bridges for the city, Saskatoon needs to take advantage with developers like Urban Capital & Victory Majors and foster even taller developments than this.

Reducing the size or simply forcing residential and office developments to the outskirts of the city makes the costs for infrastructure for the city even more expensive. Nimbys may not want development in their beloved areas of the city but if they had to put money where their mouth is and have to pay extra taxes to make up for lost taxes when new construction is deterred, they may come to the realization that they play a part in urban sprawl too.

I'm not entirely sure what the difference to anyone not living or using these future developments for the construction to be 12 storeys or 14 or 17 etc. The extra traffic in the areas is only a small fraction of what it is already there and some of these developments have no sunlight shadow affect on surrounding neighbours houses what-so-ever. Saskatoon will never graduate into reputable city status & get lost in the dust of similar sized cities like Kelowna & Regina etc if it can't build developments like those cities are currently doing.

I did a quick graphic of what the scale of a 17 storey building would like on that plot of land. Do you think it's out of proportion for the neighbourhood, keeping in mind that it's in a part of the city that's zoned for high density development?

17 storeys should be fine, and that side of Nutana already had a few condos/apts go up along the riverbank. Looking forward to this meeting.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2018, 2:22 PM

My real only complaint is the height because I don't want it to steal thunder from downtown.... but I overall do support the project. And I live nearby on Victoria. I might even (depending on my work schedual go support the project. Like i said I know my whole thing with 17 stories is silly and unfounded but its not a legitimate concern.

It all stems from Luther Tower. Can see that bastard everywhere and hardly see anything downtown. I know its because downtown is geogrphically lower but that doesnt stop me from disliking it. But you are right it doesn't look overly imposing or out of place from that side of the river.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2018, 3:20 PM

As a person who DID attend the College and Clarence corner public meeting....PLEASE...those of you who can attend the Urban Capital public meeting and support this project...PLEASE GO and SPEAK UP!

As I had stated previously, my fear about the North Prairie project that the room would be full of NIMBY"s and it was! I am confident the same will happen with the Broadway project. The often silent voice of those that support these kind of projects, needs to ensure it is heard.

Of course....I support that all opinions on this project be heard, but experience indicates the 'negative' opinions are the ones that are motivated to attend these meetings.

So excited to see that Urban Capital sees the opportunity in Saskatoon. Maybe if they have the same kind of success with this latest project they will bid on the parcel of land by Farmers Market too!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan