HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Jan 30, 2024, 2:06 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Moncton should be ~ 180,000 in the CMA by later this year

St. John's (NL) is closer to 230,000.

It will still be some time before we overtake them in terms of population. I think we will overtake them, because their population growth is constrained by being on the far end of the most isolated province in the Dominion, but, I think it will be a minimum of 30 years before it happens.

My goal is for us to be a top 25 CMA in the country. This is more rapidly attainable. I believe we are currently #27.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2024, 2:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post

It will still be some time before we overtake them in terms of population. I think we will overtake them, because their population growth is constrained by being on the far end of the most isolated province in the Dominion, but, I think it will be a minimum of 30 years before it happens.

My goal is for us to be a top 25 CMA in the country. This is more rapidly attainable. I believe we are currently #27.
I didn't realize St John's was 230,000. It's hard to project Moncton's growth and I don't expect every year to be like the last 2. Assuming we only grow at 50% of our current rate, 4000-4500 annually, it should be closer to 20-25 years. In 25 years Moncton should be right at the 300,000 mark.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2024, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post

The CMA population was 171,608 as of July 1st, 2022. There is a fair chance Moncton crossed the 180,000 mark as of July 1st, 2023 but I guess that is fully dependent on another huge year. I guess we should soon find out.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2024, 9:00 PM
I Rise Again

We are currently the 27th largest CMA in the country. If Guelph's and Greater Sudbury's growth rate stays about the same, and so does ours, we should overtake them, when the CMA estimations get released in February.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2024, 10:08 PM

Moncton is speeding up housing approvals and cutting some public hearings? Sounds exciting

Old Posted Jan 30, 2024, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by new kid in town View Post
Moncton is speeding up housing approvals and cutting some public hearings? Sounds exciting
Does this mean no more tomato blockades?

Old Posted Jan 30, 2024, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonGoldenTri View Post
Retail Talk said CBC is reporting it, but I'm yet to find the article. In any case, hopefully no more tomato grievances

Of course the comments in that thread are rife with salt and bitterness already

Old Posted Jan 30, 2024, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Probably not, but I suspect any NIMBY folk will have to be a lot more reactive if they want to fight the big projects.

I hope Moncton is learning a lesson from the Tomato Lady objections, in light of the projects that have come through since then in general. (not to mention the reputation hit they've taken because of it)

Old Posted Jan 31, 2024, 1:16 PM

Quote:
Retail Talk said CBC is reporting it, but I'm yet to find the article. In any case, hopefully no more tomato grievances

Of course the comments in that thread are rife with salt and bitterness already
I'm not sure why Retail Talk thought a story from November was new: https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-b...vals-1.7034674

The bylaw amendment was part of the marathon January meeting and council delayed a final decision to February.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2024, 1:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonPerson View Post
I'm not sure why Retail Talk thought a story from November was new: https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-b...vals-1.7034674

The bylaw amendment was part of the marathon January meeting and council delayed a final decision to February.
Thanks for finding it. I've read this before. I thought they meant a new development came out.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2024, 2:47 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Interesting drone video tour of Moncton captured by some tourists early last fall.

Video Link

The video is fairly contemporary, and clearly shows the impact of the (two) sisters on the skyline already (just imagine if they came back in five years time).

They unfortunately cut their edits really short, and spend way too much time at the beginning on central Mountain Road (and around churches), but the video gets better towards the end.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2024, 1:46 PM

One thing I also wish Moncton has (or will have in the near future) is some tourism presence or merch. Halifax and Charlottetown will have nice souvenirs and trinkets stamped with their city, while Moncton has none (that I know of). Hopefully once our downtown becomes more vibrant, and Moncton grows even more, we can have a bit of an identity that we can stamp on post cards or fridge magnets. This is very minor of course. I just can't help but notice the stark difference when I visit PEI and NS (and yes I understand the other 2 are also provincial capitals).

Old Posted Feb 1, 2024, 2:01 PM

We don't have a waterfront where tourists can congregate. Our riverfront is basically a walking trail. Those souvenir shops exist at the Magnetic Hill Wharf Village, far away from downtown.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2024, 2:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_99 View Post

We don't have a waterfront where tourists can congregate. Our riverfront is basically a walking trail. Those souvenir shops exist at the Magnetic Hill Wharf Village, far away from downtown.
I have been to the Magnetic Hill Wharf, but didn't at least one of them (the one on the left side if you're coming from the parking lot) close permanently as of last summer? They were told their lease is up with no option to renew. They also had no other spot to relocate when I talked to the owners/staff.

Most of the stuff are also NB as a whole or the Fundy Trail/Hopewell Rocks. Not necessarily specific to Moncton.

Last edited by new kid in town; Feb 1, 2024 at 2:12 PM. Reason: added details

Old Posted Feb 1, 2024, 2:57 PM

Quote:
I have been to the Magnetic Hill Wharf, but didn't at least one of them (the one on the left side if you're coming from the parking lot) close permanently as of last summer? They were told their lease is up with no option to renew. They also had no other spot to relocate when I talked to the owners/staff.

Most of the stuff are also NB as a whole or the Fundy Trail/Hopewell Rocks. Not necessarily specific to Moncton.
Moncton definitely does a poor job at marketing, I'm a little disappointed Moncton doesn't FLEX it's proximity to the Northumberland straight, the warmest beaches in the Country. A CMA that's a 12 minute drive away from 100's of KM's of the warmest beaches in the county.

Sure SJ has a "view" of the ocean but what's the point when you can't even enjoy it? Thats like have a Ferrari in the driveway but you can't drive it! At least here in Moncton we have access to the nicest and warmest beaches in the country.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2024, 7:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh_cat_eyes View Post
There won’t be an IKEA in Moncton this century. Not unless Moncton has a growth spurt like a Chinese city in the 90’s. Halifax is even lucky to have one. Think of it this way, New England used to have 4 and they closed one so now they have just 3. If they only have 3, there is zero chance the maritimes ever gets 2.
Is there not a small concept store? I was under the impression IKEA has 50K size stores for off markets that act as delivery hubs and carry top 100 items. Is there one in Quebec City?

Old Posted Feb 3, 2024, 8:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobster chucker View Post
Is there not a small concept store? I was under the impression IKEA has 50K size stores for off markets that act as delivery hubs and carry top 100 items. Is there one in Quebec City?
I’m been to the ikea in Quebec… it a full store .

Old Posted Feb 3, 2024, 9:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobster chucker View Post
They had developed that format but then got rid of it shortly afterwords, I think the Quebec store was supposed to be like that and then when they got rid of it they changed the Quebec City store to a full store.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2024, 4:22 PM

Quote:
Moncton definitely does a poor job at marketing, I'm a little disappointed Moncton doesn't FLEX it's proximity to the Northumberland straight, the warmest beaches in the Country. A CMA that's a 12 minute drive away from 100's of KM's of the warmest beaches in the county.

Sure SJ has a "view" of the ocean but what's the point when you can't even enjoy it? Thats like have a Ferrari in the driveway but you can't drive it! At least here in Moncton we have access to the nicest and warmest beaches in the country.
I do see the benefit of having an ocean view, even if you can't touch the water. For some people it's enough to look out their window or off their porch and think.. "wow." I recall once having a beautiful view of Mahone Bay, NS. Incredible to think of the expanse of ocean beyond the islands.

I agree with your point about the beaches. I am amazed that this isn't marketed like crazy. Short drive from Moncton to all kinds of beaches. Even shorter drive if you set up home in the Cap-Acadie/ or Bouctouche areas.. and then it's just a short drive to town.

I think with the past few years influx of Ontarians and the like, you'll start to see a steady of flow of their friends and relatives out this way. Word is bound to get out.

At least the summers are nice.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2024, 4:36 PM
Moderator / Supervillain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riberview View Post
I agree with your point about the beaches. I am amazed that this isn't marketed like crazy. Short drive from Moncton to all kinds of beaches. Even shorter drive if you set up home in the Cap-Acadie/ or Bouctouche areas.. and then it's just a short drive to town.
I don't think the situation is helped by the water quality issues and swim advisories.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces