HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted May 3, 2024, 3:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yadkin View Post
Can someone synopsize the article for those who do not subscribe?
It’s just a drive-by of the Triad making the case that “we’re not Charlotte” is a thing and not all bad. Various citations of activity in the region, its affordability and “small city” vibe. Points out differences between rural areas and urban. More than once quotes folk concerned with workforce being up to demands of new industries.

Quite a long piece that, of course, left a lot of things out. Good art (including a shot of the Coal Pit at Bailey PP).

Overall, a very good bit of PR

Old Posted May 3, 2024, 5:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yadkin View Post
Can someone synopsize the article for those who do not subscribe?
Here it is beyond the paywall

Old Posted May 3, 2024, 11:44 PM

Thanks SpikedCoffee. Well, just my casual (and my bias) general observation. Clearly a lack of any real substance and (as expected) written as if any information was gleaned from websites. ““We want to be the best version of Greensboro.” Still seems as if W-S is a big suburb of Greensboro to those unfamiliar with the area (I shan’t use Triad). Still, better than nowt though primarily about Toyota.

Old Posted May 5, 2024, 3:09 AM
Fourth and Main

To me, it seems to say Randolph County's workforce isn't educated enough for the battery factory opening there or really any modern manufacturing jobs and Guilford County (Greensboro and High Point) don't have the educated workforce existing companies there need. It appears to describe Winston-Salem as the place out-of-state people from trendy places are moving to and it describes Winston-Salem as being the only place in the Triad with a research university on the level of those in Raleigh-Durham. It also describes Winston-Salem's adaptive-reuse projects as a university research park. It says the people moving to Winston-Salem love it's character and don't want it to change.

It seems to be a nice article for Winston-Salem, but is very harsh on Greensboro-High Point and their three county Greensboro-High Point MSA. I don't recall reading anything about the projects at the airport or the big economic development projects in Winston-Salem's MSA (steel mill, passenger rail car factory with locomotive work, Egger, Ziehl-Abegg, Deere electric equipment headquarters, or anything at Whitaker Park).

Old Posted May 5, 2024, 12:12 PM
Fourth and Main

Projects & Construction:
I want to thank the photographers and local businesses, sharing updates on projects, who make this thread possible. Without you, these updates won't happen. I don't make any money from this and these updates are to share, with both locals and out-of-towners, what is happening in the city they love. Many people reading this are far-away and this allows them to see the projects. If you can, please support any local businesses or follow social pages sharing photographs and thank them.

I couldn't find many construction photographs this week and my son needed more of my time (the time I would spend doing stuff like this), so we don't have as many updates in this week's post. We do have an update on the massive steel mill construction site, which is interesting!

Video Link

4th and Green Apartments & Retail:

Credit: Derrick Lasley

Happy Skyler Mansion:
SORA Japanese Restaurant could be considering the "locally famous" Happy Skyler Mansion for their next Forsyth County location. For those who may not know, this is the castle construction site where U.S. 421 and Interstate 74 intersect. This project was intended to be a massive house for the structure's builder, but it appears as if plans could be changing for this project?

STITCH Design Shop Headquarters:

Credit: STITCH Design Shop

Belews Lake Park:
We now have renderings for the "comfort station, open air shelter, and maintenance building to service new walking trails and the fishing pier." BAR Construction will be the general contractor for this project.

Credit: STITCH Design Shop

Salem Bottling Works:
Slabaria, from the construction documents I posted last month, is a Pizza Restaurant.

Tanglewood Championship Course Clubhouse:

We have a new rendering, showing the back of the building:

Credit: thegotowinstonsalem

SciWorks Building:
The former SciWorks Building is now for sale. It requires roughly $4 million in renovations, including major roof work. You can buy the building and land to open a museum or office space here or you can demolish it and build a new industrial building.

Nucor Steel Mill:
"Eight months closer to expanding our footprint with one of the most energy efficient mills in the world." This Nucor Steel Mill will have an estimated economic impact of $2 billion over the next decade.

Credit: Nucor

Off-Subject:

Video Link

Your City

Old Posted May 16, 2024, 12:08 AM

Any update this week?

Old Posted May 16, 2024, 4:39 PM
WashingtonParker

New City Population Estimates

The U.S. Census Bureau has just released its estimates for the population of cities as of July 1, 2023. Winston-Salem's population grew by 1,229 between 2022 and 2023 for a total of 252,975, making it #91 on the list of the nation's largest cities.

Other N.C. cities:

Charlotte: 911,311 (#15, with a growth of about 15,600)
Raleigh: (482,295, #41, with a growth of about 8,800)
Greensboro: (302,296, #69, with a growth of about 1,400)
Durham: (296,186, #70, with a growth of about 3,600)

Source: census.gov

Last edited by WashingtonParker; May 16, 2024 at 5:43 PM.

Old Posted May 17, 2024, 9:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WashingtonParker View Post
The U.S. Census Bureau has just released its estimates for the population of cities as of July 1, 2023. Winston-Salem's population grew by 1,229 between 2022 and 2023 for a total of 252,975, making it #91 on the list of the nation's largest cities.

Other N.C. cities:

Charlotte: 911,311 (#15, with a growth of about 15,600)
Raleigh: (482,295, #41, with a growth of about 8,800)
Greensboro: (302,296, #69, with a growth of about 1,400)
Durham: (296,186, #70, with a growth of about 3,600)

Source: census.gov
I looked at the data. It's really surprising to see how many cities in the 80-100 range lost population between 2022-2023. I've highlighted Winston, which had a gain of 0.488%. I've named the cities that lost population.

The top three biggest cities in the country (NYC, LA, Chicago) also lost population, which isn't surprising.

0.500%
-0.393% - Buffalo
-0.178% - Chula Vista, CA
0.719%
1.058%
-0.393% Toledo
0.700%
0.615%
0.065%
0.565%
0.712%
0.488%
5.680%
0.585%
-0.946% - Garland, TX
-0.552% - Boise City
-0.700% - Norfolk
-0.416% - Spokane
0.385%
-0.043% - Fremont
1.592%

The cities directly behind us -Port St. Lucie, Florida and Scottsdale will likely pass us soon. But we will also likely pass Toledo, Chula Vista and Buffalo before too long. We could also pass St. Louis in the next 5-6 years, which is #78 but rapidly losing population (lost 1.56%, from 286K to 281K in one year). We will probably pass St. Louis before Chula Vista, which is having a very slow decline.

Old Posted May 17, 2024, 2:10 PM

Quote:
Water and gas line leaks on Meadowlark Drive recently spelled double trouble for the beleaguered road-widening project, but city officials say they’re hoping the contractor can live up to revised estimates for an October completion to the work.
https://journalnow.com/news/local/fi...home-top-story

Old Posted May 17, 2024, 10:07 PM

Sushi Rose hasn’t even opened yet, but it’s exclusionary dress code has already ignited a firestorm.

Old Posted May 19, 2024, 12:09 PM
Fourth and Main

Projects & Construction:
I want to thank the photographers and local businesses, sharing updates on projects, who make this thread possible. Without you, these updates won't happen. I don't make any money from this and these updates are to share, with both locals and out-of-towners, what is happening in the city they love. Many people reading this are far-away and this allows them to see the projects. If you can, please support any local businesses or follow social pages sharing photographs and thank them.

My son needed more of my time and that time came from the two updates, including this update. I really didn't have enough to post last Sunday, due to that. This update combines the updates of last week and this week.

Lets rock!
Video Link

Novant Health Critical Care Center:

Credit: Novant Health

10 West Third:
The building owner will soon renovate this building, adding new doors, new HVAC, and new electrical. L&L Construction in Rural Hall will be the general contractor and Illya Alexieff Architecture will be the architect for this renovation. This is the former Standard Savings and Loan Building, constructed in 1967 and designed by architect Fred W. Butner Jr.,. To lease this building as office space or really anything, I'm guessing the owner will likely have to add more windows. Yes, it has just one window in the front, on the top floor.

Fogle Commons / IQ Infrastructure:

Credit: David Swift

Regenerative Medicine News:
The RegenMed Development Organization announced a new initiative titled Regulatory NavigatOR: a groundbreaking space aimed at providing unparalleled regulatory and scientific counsel to product developers navigating the complexities of the regenerative medicine pipeline.

Cloverdale Surgery Center:

Credit: flblum

John Deere Electric Powertrain North American Headquarters:
John Deere will construct a 380,000-square-foot expansion, costing around $70 million, and add around 150 new employees with their recent announcement.

The Haven at Wake Apartments:

Credit: The Haven at Wake

Miller’s on Trade: Built!
Miller's on Trade is now completed. It opened on May 10, 2024. Interestingly, Winston-Salem is the first city in the Triad to have digital darts and fifth in the United States to offer this. This developer is always looking for interesting new things to offer in downtown Winston-Salem.

Credit: Simon Burgess

Digital Darts (only the third installation in the U.S., and fifth in the world):

And finally... with the opening crowd:

Credit: Yes Weekly

New Tenants/Leases:
Huntington Bank has signed a lease for roughly 2,750-square-feet on the ground floor at 751 West Fourth Street, in downtown Winston-Salem. Gensler will be the architect for the upfit, which is expected to cost more than $100,000+.

Bank of America appears to have leased the former Arby's Restaurant at 400 Knollwood (known for the retro 1960s sign that was removed). It's a 15 year lease with four 5-year renewals, so the bank expects to be there for a long time. Bank of America also has first-right-of-refusal to buy the property if the owner decides to sell.

NASCAR All-Star Race:
The 2025 NASCAR All-Star Race will return to this track. No word on if any additional renovations are planned before May 2025? This event has an $80 million economic impact!

Video Link

Video Link

Video Link

A newer rendering showing the shorter front (The back is a floor taller than the front):

Credit: stitchdesignshop

East Tower:

Alternative Transportation:

Smith Reynolds Airport Restoration:
Work on this project should be completed by February 2025.

Credit: WS/FCS

Off-Subject:

Concerts in Bailey Park Return:

Canada's Barenaked Ladies in concert at downtown Winston-Salem's Bailey Park:

Credit: livinginwinstonsalem

Yes, it was raining:

Credit: disneymom182

Credit: disneymom182

Leapfrog 2024 Top Metros for Hospital Patient Safety:
The Winston-Salem MSA ranked #2 in the nation in Leapfrog's 2024 metro area rankings based on hospital patient safety performance. 71.4% of the hospitals in metro Winston-Salem earned Leapfrog's highest ranking. The ranking is for metro areas of 500,000 people or greater. Allentown, PA was #1, New Orleans was #3. Raleigh-Cary tied with Charleston (S.C.) for 7th. Charlotte was ranked 25th.

Video Link

Your City

Old Posted May 22, 2024, 1:08 PM

Williams Sonoma has announced the closing of the Hanes Mall store.

Last edited by smain; May 22, 2024 at 5:50 PM.

Old Posted May 22, 2024, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smain View Post
Williams Sonoma has announced the closing of the Hanes Mall store.
Dang, I didn’t realize there was one at Hanes Mall.

Old Posted May 22, 2024, 10:45 PM

Sushi Rose’s grand opening is Friday

https://www.instagram.com/reel/C7O9a...I1MzA3aTh6NnJq

Old Posted May 22, 2024, 11:38 PM

Best places to live - “The magazine (U.S. News & World Report) ranked Winston-Salem at No. 60 among the top 150 metros reviewed — down from No. 41 in 2023.

Meanwhile, Greensboro jumped from No. 72 to No. 23.”

Wow, both seem very difficult to believe especially the latter.

By the way, the Williams & Sonoma Winston-Salem has already been removed from their store location website.

Old Posted May 23, 2024, 3:40 AM

Quote:
Forsyth Technical Community College began work Wednesday on a $29 million construction project that will help transform the college’s Silas Creek Parkway campus in Winston-Salem.
Six buildings in the center of campus will be demolished in the first phase of the project that will create a new learning and library facility, called a learning commons, as well as a new outdoor courtyard. The new building is expected to open in 2026.
https://www.bizjournals.com/triad/ne...FeOunKwQdY7kJd

Old Posted May 23, 2024, 2:03 PM

"Sushi Rose hasn’t even opened yet, but it’s exclusionary dress code has already ignited a firestorm."

I went on both Instagram and their website. They've changed their dress code to just "....smart casual to casual elegant. Any decision regarding entry to the restaurant is entirely at the management's discretion."

This never goes well. Especially when it's not an established restaurant and people are walking in for the first time.

Old Posted May 23, 2024, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smain View Post
"Sushi Rose hasn’t even opened yet, but it’s exclusionary dress code has already ignited a firestorm."

I went on both Instagram and their website. They've changed their dress code to just "....smart casual to casual elegant. Any decision regarding entry to the restaurant is entirely at the management's discretion."

This never goes well. Especially when it's not an established restaurant and people are walking in for the first time.
I’m glad they relaxed that ridiculous policy. A new restaurant with a new concept and cuisine for this market should try to cast a wide net for customers instead of an exclusionary one.

Old Posted May 23, 2024, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Fiddle & Fig, the homegrown home goods shop located in Winston-Salem’s historic West End neighborhood, is preparing to double its square footage with a move this fall to a new retail space only a mile and a half away on Stratford Road.
Co-owners Morgan Holt and Jamie Lapp told TBJ that the 9,400-square-foot location at 107 S Stratford Road provides visibility that Fiddle & Fig lost last year when they moved it to the bottom floor at 403 W End Blvd. to make space for Mulberry Table, a bar and event space they opened in June. Currently, Holt and Lapp divide the approximately 5,000 square-foot space between the businesses, but they have decided to close Mulberry Table later this year.
https://www.bizjournals.com/triad/ne...-PYaT2dCLdy4NA

Old Posted May 26, 2024, 12:25 PM
Fourth and Main

Projects & Construction:

Work has finally started on the Championship Course Clubhouse! And the excitement of a new library at Forsyth Tech! All in this week's update.

Video Link

Demolition of the existing clubhouse has started and the ground breaking for the new clubhouse was held on the same day. The existing clubhouse (seen in the demolition photographs, below) opened in 1973 and hosted the PGA Championship in 1974. It was also used for the Senior PGA Tour’s Vantage Championship from 1987 until 2002.

Credit: Forsyth County

Think of the many superstars of golf that walked through those doors!

...and the national attention of a PGA Championship!

Credit: stimmelpa

Learning Commons:
Forsyth Tech's nearly $30 million new library project has started work, with demolition of six existing out-dated buildings to make room for the new classroom and library structure. The new library is being called a 21st-century library with the latest in technology. Also included is a courtyard/park with an outdoor event space with seating, a visible educational stormwater feature, and a half mile of walking paths. Balfour Beatty is the general contractor and Smith Sinnett Architecture is the architect for this project. Completion is set for 2026. The college of 13,500 students is currently planning their next growth phase, so we could see more Forsyth Tech projects in the near future.

Stevens Center Renovation:

Credit: Alex Lorenzana

Road Dog Coffee Headquarters:
Road Dog Coffee Company is headquartered here in Forsyth County, but would like to move all of the company's operations from San Diego to Forsyth County. Right now, they are struggling to find any space to move those operations here.

East Fifteenth Street Water Tower Art:

This is the final design selected:

Credit: City of Winston-Salem

Beaufurn Headquarters:
It appears as if Beaufurn will convert the house on the site (at Clemmons and Clinard roads) into their new headquarters. Studio-Wales will be the architect for that conversion from residential to office.

Park at 74:

Credit: BCS

Credit: BCS

Ziehl-Abegg North American Headquarters:

Credit: frontstreetcapital

Theatre Alliance:
The Theatre Alliance is preparing to install their exterior signage at the Beall Black Box Building. So, this downtown theatre project is likely nearing completion?

Truist Stadium Upgrades:
The Dash Pad is a brand new seating area to Truist Stadium for the 2024 Season! You can entertain clients, staff, or family and friends in a fun and exclusive setting.

This new seating section was recently completed as part of this project:

Credit: WSDashBaseball

Alternative Transportation:

Smith Reynolds Airport Restoration:

Workers found this vintage American Airlines map at the airport:

Credit: C Design

Off-Subject:

2024 Top 25 Historic Hotels of America:
Graylyn Hotel & Conference Center was ranked in the top-25 historic hotels of America for 2024. Guests at Graylyn can "eat, sleep and play in the home’s original spaces. Guests can dine in the home’s original Adam-style dining room, and can play chess, read or work remotely in the original library, which is still adorned with rare French wood-paneling installed by the Gray family. Many guestrooms are in the family’s original sleeping quarters, including Mr. Gray’s room and Mrs. Gray’s room."

Your City

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations