HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted May 4, 2024, 6:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
There was a short story on the news the other night about the possibility of a planning commission. Something that would take development decisions away from councillors and into the hands of a department with city wide responsibility rather than localized special interest.
That sounds like something Gillingham would support. I hope it goes through.

"Naysayers are always predicting the present"-Anon.

"Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength"-Eric Hoffer

Old Posted May 9, 2024, 8:56 PM

I am really not sure why the city is taking the approach to move Graham Avenue away from a dedicated bus route. They want to make this a pedestrian/cycling thoroughfare and park, but is it not the density of bus users that has brought life and development to this stretch of road? If you take those users away you end up with just another public space that the misfortunate end up occupying. If Winnipeg's downtown was booming I could understand, but the opposite is occurring. This feels like another regret in the making.

https://engage.winnipeg.ca/graham-avenue

Old Posted May 9, 2024, 10:13 PM

Yeah upfront it feels stupid

Old Posted May 9, 2024, 10:56 PM

While I share some of the concern, I wouldn't say that there's exactly a ton of life and development along Graham right now, as it is. I suspect the bigger reason they are making the move is to facilitate better connections to other routes which run perpendicular. No more walking a block and going around the corner to hop on your transfer downtown. And they are consolidating a lot of routes into the new extended Blue, which has to continue down Portage past downtown anyways.

Old Posted May 9, 2024, 11:54 PM

Might be time to remove the bump outs on Portage Avenue then. It only makes sense if all the bus routes are returning to Portage. That is how it was before the change to Graham.

Old Posted May 13, 2024, 8:35 PM

https://www.winnipegfreepress.com/th...new-bus-garage

Open house for the new bus garage in a couple weeks. This'll be huge for Winnipeg transit to be able to run it's new schedule. I sure hope they don't drop the ball next year.

Old Posted May 13, 2024, 9:01 PM

Looks like it'll be pretty fancy. Sloped glass walls overlooking a duck pond.

Also looks much nicer than the current north garage!

https://ehq-production-canada.s3.ca-...2694368f9eb11d

Old Posted May 13, 2024, 9:10 PM

transit infrastructure can look pretty as well! i guess they're taking a page from Edmonton and the Kathleen Andrews transit garage.. it's quite striking in person.

https://maps.app.goo.gl/ZcgBPLf5W3zRqhhu8

Old Posted May 13, 2024, 11:21 PM

Page 11 of the presentation places the new garage in the wrong location, right on top or the CP Weston shops.

Old Posted May 13, 2024, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
Looks like it'll be pretty fancy. Sloped glass walls overlooking a duck pond.

Also looks much nicer than the current north garage!

https://ehq-production-canada.s3.ca-...2694368f9eb11d
This link doesn't work bomber. At least not for me.

Old Posted May 14, 2024, 7:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FactaNV View Post
This link doesn't work bomber. At least not for me.
Fixed VVVVVV

https://ehq-production-canada.s3.ca-...NAL-WEB_v2.pdf

Old Posted May 14, 2024, 8:00 PM

Thanks Anthony.

Old Posted May 16, 2024, 2:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flatland Metropolis View Post
I am really not sure why the city is taking the approach to move Graham Avenue away from a dedicated bus route. They want to make this a pedestrian/cycling thoroughfare and park, but is it not the density of bus users that has brought life and development to this stretch of road? If you take those users away you end up with just another public space that the misfortunate end up occupying. If Winnipeg's downtown was booming I could understand, but the opposite is occurring. This feels like another regret in the making.

https://engage.winnipeg.ca/graham-avenue
So now for the Eastern Transit Corridor, the following steps are being implemented.
  1. Remove the existing transit corridor on Graham Avenue and redirect buses to Portage Avenue.
  2. Add stops to the FX3 line, which the current Eastern express buses (42, 46, & 48) do not serve.
  3. Rehabilitate the Louise Bridge rather than establishing new transit routes across the bridge.

It's difficult to get excited about this plan; I don't see any significant improvements.

Old Posted May 16, 2024, 3:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjmz View Post
So now for the Eastern Transit Corridor, the following steps are being implemented.
  1. Remove the existing transit corridor on Graham Avenue and redirect buses to Portage Avenue.
  2. Add stops to the FX3 line, which the current Eastern express buses (42, 46, & 48) do not serve.
  3. Rehabilitate the Louise Bridge rather than establishing new transit routes across the bridge.

It's difficult to get excited about this plan; I don't see any significant improvements.
Ive been saying for some time the city desperately needs to show some tangibles and quickly. New infrastructure construction to get people excited. This plan will be DoA if they don't hype it up and start actually getting something done. Man I wish we had oil money.

Old Posted May 16, 2024, 4:48 PM

I support modifications to Graham Avenue Transit Mall only after segregated bus lanes are added to Portage Avenue. The current plan implies that this work will happen first.

Old Posted May 16, 2024, 5:28 PM

Not a chance. it's supposed to be happening next year. Portage will be a gong show, it already is in winter, at least, with buses queued up for blocks.

Old Posted May 16, 2024, 6:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
Not a chance. it's supposed to be happening next year. Portage will be a gong show, it already is in winter, at least, with buses queued up for blocks.
It's fine, we'll just put a high line all the way down Portage to Polo. Perfection.

Old Posted May 16, 2024, 6:24 PM
the first stamp is free

The buses really need to get off Portage avenue from Polo Park east.

IMO the buses turn around there and there is an at-grade rail system to shuttle people back and forth from Main street.

Expand this type of system along Main street and more, and eventually you have a decent rail system full separate from traffic keeping the buses out of the downtown area. Basically go back to 1955. it would be a huge help for congestion downtown.

Old Posted May 16, 2024, 7:07 PM
What could go wrong?

I agree.

Two rail elevated line from the P&M area to Polo Park down Portage.

3.5 km at approx $500m per km = $1.5b plus rolling stock, maintenance facilities etc. Total $2b to $2.5b to create a backbone for future transit.

The Federal government loves giving money to these types of projects.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted May 16, 2024, 8:17 PM

What the City need to do is study the cost, in detail, on their proposed network, and figure out the nets for conversion or to just go LRT vs BRT. The City can't even put forth a proposal to the Province or Feds right now because we have no idea what the actual dollars are.

And the problem is we keep going in circles with half baked plans. Yes we know billions and Biff you're probably close. But we have no documents to put before council to even have the conversation.

If the ask is like "hey we can pay 10% of the cost and need the rest funded." than so be it. They can say no.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan