HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted May 13, 2024, 6:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FactaNV View Post
Idk if you caught what trueviking posted the other day but there's some big stuff coming. Along with the hotel restarting, the massive new developments like Southwood Circle and the PP redevelopment coming, et al we're looking pretty good on the densification front. That said, a new tower announcement or two would be nice haha.

Or 3 or 4 would would be even better.

Old Posted May 13, 2024, 6:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highwayman View Post
Sab and family do two things. Parking lots and strip joints / shitty restuarants
Well.....that's what they do above the table.

Old Posted May 13, 2024, 6:47 PM

Quote:
Idk if you caught what trueviking posted the other day but there's some big stuff coming. Along with the hotel restarting, the massive new developments like Southwood Circle and the PP redevelopment coming, et al we're looking pretty good on the densification front. That said, a new tower announcement or two would be nice haha.
Also Wehwehneh and I think Railside at the forks is finally starting this summer?

Old Posted May 13, 2024, 6:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLLB View Post
It seems like ages since any major building has been announced In Winnipeg. Not knocking the city, it is a great city, it just seems strange that everything has been so quiet.
How many major announcements have occurred for Penticton? I don't see anything of substance happening there whatsoever.

Old Posted May 13, 2024, 7:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueviking View Post
the next four months will definitely be career defining for me. I have two projects (osborne and selkirk) finishing construction. The bay design will be nailed down and construction will likely begin. Designing three new high profile projects. There’s actually a fourth big one but i will likely be more overseeing the design because of work load. When it rains it pours. It’s a shame that i can’t really savour it. I love the schematic design phase. It’s full throttle. Then in six months i’ll be bored. Ha ha. Always happens.

As for the three. One is really big. One is big. One isn’t that big but prominent and unique. Two downtown. One not downtown but in a mature neighbourhood.
@dllb

Old Posted May 13, 2024, 7:16 PM
What could go wrong?

Quote:
As for the three. One is really big. One is big. One isn’t that big but prominent and unique.

This is really big
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted May 13, 2024, 7:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post

This is really big
100 floor or bust.

Old Posted May 13, 2024, 9:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLLB View Post
It seems like ages since any major building has been announced In Winnipeg. Not knocking the city, it is a great city, it just seems strange that everything has been so quiet.
There is a lot of construction going on in Winnipeg right now, just not a lot of big or flashy buildings. Between the high cost of construction (especially highrise buildings) and the lower cost of housing, it's very hard to make highrise projects financially feasible in Winnipeg right now. The recently completed residential highrise buildings in downtown (300 Assiniboine, 390 Assiniboine, 311 Hargrave, 255 Carlton aka True North Square, and 300 Main) are all very expensive for Winnipeg.

Here's a listing for the cheapest 2-bedroom condo available in 390 Assiniboine right now. Not many people in Winnipeg want to pay $350,000 for a 2-bedroom condo downtown when you can buy a house in St. James for less. There are a few people in Winnipeg who want that lifestyle, but not many.

https://www.realtor.ca/real-estate/2...nipeg-downtown

https://www.realtor.ca/real-estate/2...nipeg-st-james

A lot of Winnipeg's largest projects right now involve government money (The Bay redevelopment, Portage Place Mall redevelopment, Marketlands, 308 Colony St). I'm pretty sure 308 Colony St is Winnipeg's tallest building under construction right now (21 stories). It's a mixed-income building owned by the University of Winnipeg Community Renewal Corporation. I've linked an article about it below. I think it's "very Winnipeg" that a lot of our largest construction projects are affordable housing instead of the fancy highrises being built in other cities.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manit...lony-1.7122806

Old Posted May 13, 2024, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdRain&Snow View Post
I'm pretty sure 308 Colony St is Winnipeg's tallest building under construction right now (21 stories). It's a mixed-income building owned by the University of Winnipeg Community Renewal Corporation. I've linked an article about it below. I think it's "very Winnipeg" that a lot of our largest construction projects are affordable housing instead of the fancy highrises being built in other cities.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manit...lony-1.7122806
I do feel some Winnipeg pride in that. You're only as great as your lowliest citizen. While there is still so much work to do and a growing supply of desperate people coming South to the city, Manitoba takes better care of the less fortunate than any other province (minus Quebec) in this country according to a study a while back. Despite being the poorest Western province.

Old Posted May 13, 2024, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highwayman View Post
Sab and family do two things. Parking lots and strip joints / shitty restuarants
Less parking lots, more strip joints!!!

Old Posted May 13, 2024, 11:50 PM

Quote:
I do feel some Winnipeg pride in that. You're only as great as your lowliest citizen. While there is still so much work to do and a growing supply of desperate people coming South to the city, Manitoba takes better care of the less fortunate than any other province (minus Quebec) in this country according to a study a while back. Despite being the poorest Western province.
I agree. While I understand the attraction of tall office towers, and the aura of civic prosperity they bring, I think it's important to remember those Winnipeg affordable housing projects probably end up helping more people who need it than the office towers do.

"Poorest" is also a relative term. Poor in what ways? Compared to the other western provinces, yes we would be considered financially "poor". Culturally and socially, we might be considered "richer" than the average, though I'm not sure how you'd quantify that. It sort of depends on what one's personal values are.

"Naysayers are always predicting the present"-Anon.

"Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength"-Eric Hoffer

Old Posted May 13, 2024, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinCitySparky View Post
Less parking lots, more strip joints!!!
Sounds like an election slogan!

"Naysayers are always predicting the present"-Anon.

"Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength"-Eric Hoffer

Old Posted May 13, 2024, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pspeid View Post
Sounds like an election slogan!
A platform I can vote for! *chuckle

Old Posted May 13, 2024, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pspeid View Post
I agree. While I understand the attraction of tall office towers, and the aura of civic prosperity they bring, I think it's important to remember those Winnipeg affordable housing projects probably end up helping more people who need it than the office towers do.

"Poorest" is also a relative term. Poor in what ways? Compared to the other western provinces, yes we would be considered financially "poor". Culturally and socially, we might be considered "richer" than the average, though I'm not sure how you'd quantify that. It sort of depends on what one's personal values are.
You certainly aren't wrong. I can't think of a city on the prairies that holds a candle to what Winnipeg brings to the table culturally. Certainly not Calgary or the Sask cities. Edmonton is probably the closest.

Old Posted May 14, 2024, 5:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdRain&Snow View Post
There is a lot of construction going on in Winnipeg right now, just not a lot of big or flashy buildings. Between the high cost of construction (especially highrise buildings) and the lower cost of housing, it's very hard to make highrise projects financially feasible in Winnipeg right now. The recently completed residential highrise buildings in downtown (300 Assiniboine, 390 Assiniboine, 311 Hargrave, 255 Carlton aka True North Square, and 300 Main) are all very expensive for Winnipeg.

Here's a listing for the cheapest 2-bedroom condo available in 390 Assiniboine right now. Not many people in Winnipeg want to pay $350,000 for a 2-bedroom condo downtown when you can buy a house in St. James for less. There are a few people in Winnipeg who want that lifestyle, but not many.

https://www.realtor.ca/real-estate/2...nipeg-downtown

https://www.realtor.ca/real-estate/2...nipeg-st-james
personally as someone who will be an empty nester in 3-4 yrs and works downtown, I would 100% take that condo over the house in St. James! or if my young daughter was buying her 1st place, I'd also probably say to do the same!

Old Posted May 14, 2024, 5:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justanothermember View Post
How many major announcements have occurred for Penticton? I don't see anything of substance happening there whatsoever.
So, that's what it comes to now for Winnipeg. Comparing its development activity to that of a city of 50K. Let's go 45 minutes up Highway 97 to compare Kelowna's development to that of Winnipeg.

Old Posted May 14, 2024, 5:55 PM
What could go wrong?

I heard of 3 significant projects today. All multi-family.

One might be one of Vikings he mentioned earlier.
One is pretty big, not downtown, will be tallest in its area.
One will hopefully be announced shortly (i am not sure of scope, but will be pretty impactful).

All will have significant impact in Winnipeg.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted May 14, 2024, 6:24 PM

I may have drempt it. But another tower in OV next to the other towers is in my mind.

Old Posted May 14, 2024, 6:38 PM

Oh fun a guessing game!
Viking's project is 10-15 stories next to the old wawanesa building on Broadway + conversion of existing building to residential
'Not downtown, tallest in it's area' I'll say somewhere along Pembina. Either around the university, the area just north of Bishop Grandin or the Station Landing buildings officially starting next the transitway.
'Pretty impactful' is downtown/exchange...maybe an empty lot along Main, one of the lots the Richardsons own, or the lot east of the Burt

Old Posted May 14, 2024, 7:49 PM

Quote:
As for the three. One is really big. One is big. One isn’t that big but prominent and unique. Two downtown. One not downtown but in a mature neighbourhood.
Are you finally getting that tower crane you've always wanted?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan