HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Closed Thread

Old Posted May 31, 2011, 7:08 PM
Home of Hyperchange

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshy View Post
I'm hearing that much like Sportsnet has an Oilers/Flames/Canucks specific zone to cater to that fanbase, one will be developed specifically for the Winnipeg/Manitoba fanbase, to encompass parts of Saskatchewan, all of Manitoba and Northwestern Ontario.

Very cool if that pans out.
Canucks are in their own Sportsnet zone, Sportsnet Pacific.

Currently only Edmonton and Calgary are together, in Sportsnet West. Which includes SK and MB in its region. However - plenty of Flames games (and Oilers games) are not broadcast on SN West anyway. A new station came out last year, Sportsnet One, that effectively handles the overlap. So you have some of your games on SN West, and the rest on SN One. I see no reason Winnipeg couldn't slot into this very nicely.

I really hope they stay in our region because I look forward to seeing as many Winnipeg games as I can. And I suspect once the re-alignment happens next year, Winnipeg fans would more than agree - imagine being able to watch 3/5 of your division's games without hassle.

No way in hell am I spending a bunch more money on Centre Ice, when I'm already in for a pair of season tickets plus $80/month satellite service just to get every last Flames game as it is.

Old Posted May 31, 2011, 7:10 PM

Oh right, I forgot about Sportsnet One. Nevermind

Old Posted May 31, 2011, 7:23 PM

Congratulations Winnipeg and well done Manitoba!

You guys have entirely earned the return of an NHL team and I'm certain Vancouver fans will give you a deafening standing ovation when you take the ice on your first game in Vancouver.

Old Posted May 31, 2011, 7:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by christopherj View Post
Back in the '90's, would you have said the same thing when the Oilers almost left (and had an average attendance in the 12k-13k range for a couple of years)? Oh, Atlanta has averaged 13k-16k the last 4 years - more than the Oilers during that time period.
Please.

The Oilers still had more fans in the 90s than Atlanta ever had. Oilers fans deliberately stayed away from those games in the mid 90s because we couldn't stand the Oilers' owner at the time (Pocklington).

Atlanta has proved that they can't fill their building nor gain any fan interest no matter what. Even with rock-bottom ticket prices, they still had half-empty arenas and $10-$20 million losses every year.

But please feel free to continue to spin your nonsense however you want.

Old Posted May 31, 2011, 8:08 PM
Home of Hyperchange

Yeah, people can go on and on about low attendance in Canada in the 90s, but what they don't realize is this:

I paid the same amount of money for a regular season ticket in Tampa Bay, in 2009, as I paid for an equivalently-located PRE-SEASON game in Winnipeg - in 1991. And the concept of free tickets if we win, buy-on-get-one, dollar beer, etc - I've never seen anything like that in Canada.

Even at 10,000 fans per game, with those prices Winnipeg is still making more money than many US teams.

Old Posted May 31, 2011, 8:13 PM
Suburban dweller

Location: Calgary - our road planners are as bad as yours Edmonton
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFUVancouver View Post
Congratulations Winnipeg and well done Manitoba!

You guys have entirely earned the return of an NHL team and I'm certain Vancouver fans will give you a deafening standing ovation when you take the ice on your first game in Vancouver.
That would be a wonderful to see. Hopefully the scene would repeat in every other Canadian market that Winnipeg visits for the first time.

Albert Einstein

Old Posted May 31, 2011, 8:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeweed View Post
Well, a guaranteed win is always a plus I guess.
The Leafs weren't a "guaranteed win" 48 times this year. In fact, in the next few years at least the Flames will become more of a "guaranteed win" than the Leafs will. But you know, keep trying.

Old Posted May 31, 2011, 8:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrOilers View Post
Please.

The Oilers still had more fans in the 90s than Atlanta ever had. Oilers fans deliberately stayed away from those games in the mid 90s because we couldn't stand the Oilers' owner at the time (Pocklington).

Atlanta has proved that they can't fill their building nor gain any fan interest no matter what. Even with rock-bottom ticket prices, they still had half-empty arenas and $10-$20 million losses every year.

But please feel free to continue to spin your nonsense however you want.
I'm not suggesting that Atlanta is a better market than Winnipeg or Edmonton. All I am saying is that there are a group of core Atlanta fans who are currently very upset that the Thrashers are moving. As fans of Canadian teams, many of who were in a similar position not too long ago, we should show them sympathy for their fans rather than belittle them with comments about their hockey city.

By the way, don't you think that maybe Atlanta fans were pissed off at ownership? Attendance at one point in Atlanta was around 17k as well. The Atlanta Spirit Group wasn't exactly a world class owner.

Old Posted May 31, 2011, 8:19 PM
Registered User, Maybe

Anyone know how it would effect realignment if Phoenix moves to Quebec next year? There's a pretty good chance that might happen sooner rather than later, maybe thats why the NHL isnt bothering with realignment this years. Whats the point if your just going to have to change things up again next year?

8 Canadian teams... that would be sweet

Old Posted May 31, 2011, 8:20 PM
Home of Hyperchange

Quote:
Originally Posted by lubicon View Post
That would be a wonderful to see. Hopefully the scene would repeat in every other Canadian market that Winnipeg visits for the first time.
I know I'll be wearing my Winnipeg Whatevers jersey on their first game here. I'll still cheer for the Flames though.

Old Posted May 31, 2011, 8:21 PM
Home of Hyperchange

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Architect View Post
The Leafs weren't a "guaranteed win" 48 times this year. In fact, in the next few years at least the Flames will become more of a "guaranteed win" than the Leafs will. But you know, keep trying.
Thanks for reminding us that once again you have nothing to actually contribute to the discussion, except monitor the threads to ensure you can defend the honour of the Leaves when anyone mentions them.

Old Posted May 31, 2011, 8:23 PM

Quote:
Thanks for reminding us that once again you have nothing to actually contribute to the discussion, except monitor the threads to ensure you can defend the honour of the Leaves when anyone mentions them.
I actually was coming on to contribute something, then saw trolling remarks, so I respond to them.

Thanks for reminding us once again that you can't contribute to a thread without adding a trolling remark about the Leafs or Toronto to it.

Anyways, congrats Winnipeg, I'll make sure to get tickets to your first visit to the ACC!

Old Posted May 31, 2011, 8:36 PM
Home of Hyperchange

Sporting rivalries are now trolling. Gotcha. I'll make sure to remind the mods when anyone cheers during the finals.

Quote:
Thanks for reminding us once again that you can't contribute to a thread without adding a trolling remark about the Leafs or Toronto to it.
If you'd actually read this thread instead of being paranoid, you'd notice that I've made literally hundreds of posts that do not contain a single mention of the Leaves. So your comment is demonstrably false. I know the echo chamber known as the Toronto media makes it FEEL like everything hockey-related revolves around them, such is not the case. Thanks for playing though.

Actually, all ribbing aside - when do I ever say anything negative about Toronto itself? Other than the 401...

Old Posted May 31, 2011, 8:59 PM
Community Guy

JETSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

I hope you get put in the NW but central will be acceptable.

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted May 31, 2011, 9:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by christopherj View Post
Attendance at one point in Atlanta was around 17k as well.
That was 1999-2000. Since then their attendance has been a joke. But you can't blame the most recent owners for that one.

Yes, many of the people who went to those games were probably die-hards, but they were clearly the only die hards in the entire city of Atlanta. I still feel bad for those tens of die-hard Thrashers fans who are losing their home team. But the vast majority of Atlanta has proven, for the second time, that their city doesn't deserve NHL hockey.

Old Posted May 31, 2011, 9:03 PM
Home of Hyperchange

This might be the strangest comment of the day so far.

Quote:
Added Phoenix Coyotes tough guy Paul Bissonnette: "I have a feeling in 9 months there will a lot of babies being born in the city of Winnipeg. Welcome back Jets. Let the party begin in Canada."
Needless to say, my cow-orkers wondered why I burst out laughing.

Old Posted May 31, 2011, 9:07 PM
Vancouverite

Quote:
Yeah, people can go on and on about low attendance in Canada in the 90s, but what they don't realize is this:

I paid the same amount of money for a regular season ticket in Tampa Bay, in 2009, as I paid for an equivalently-located PRE-SEASON game in Winnipeg - in 1991. And the concept of free tickets if we win, buy-on-get-one, dollar beer, etc - I've never seen anything like that in Canada.

Even at 10,000 fans per game, with those prices Winnipeg is still making more money than many US teams.
But when one talks about the 90's they would have to factor in the CND-USD exchange rate. But today that is a nonissue

Quote:

Old Posted May 31, 2011, 9:44 PM

Last edited by christopherj; May 31, 2011 at 9:55 PM. Reason: No sense arguing with MrOilers - but I'll show sympathy for any fan losing their team

Old Posted May 31, 2011, 9:48 PM
Vancouverite

The current team coming into Winnipeg is a good foundation to build on.
Bufyglien, Evander Kane, Ladd, Pavelec are great players today and of course the prospect pool is pretty good too.

Old Posted May 31, 2011, 9:52 PM
Fake News

Quote:
This might be the strangest comment of the day so far.

Needless to say, my cow-orkers wondered why I burst out laughing.
Nice to see you hold your colleagues in such high regard.

But on topic here: I hope they name the team the Beavers or something equally funny. Maybe the Loonies after the Canadian Mint.

Last edited by O-tacular; May 31, 2011 at 10:11 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan