HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Projects & Construction Updates

Old Posted Nov 8, 2018, 5:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Grizzly View Post
I don’t recall seeing new arena as part of the Olympic budgeting.
It isn't unless Nenshi is going to try and claim the Flames only need a 5,000 seat arena.

I hope CalgaryNEXT gets revived. That would provide us with great facilities for a number of sports. Let government clean up the area or force the polluters to. The extra work in the area is needed anyway so the real cost of the project is nowhere near $2 billion. Time for some honesty on these projects even though that's a foreign concept to most Nenshi supporters.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2018, 6:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Grizzly View Post
I don’t recall seeing new arena as part of the Olympic budgeting.
It is exceedingly unlikely we would build a 5,000-6,000 person arena, when we could spend the same amount as a public contribution for a new Flames arena, no? It would be a monumental failure if a deal could not be reached once the city/hostco had money on the table, instead of $0.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2018, 6:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalcolmTucker View Post
It is exceedingly unlikely we would build a 5,000-6,000 person arena, when we could spend the same amount as a public contribution for a new Flames arena, no? It would be a monumental failure if a deal could not be reached once the city/hostco had money on the table, instead of $0.
Then why is the YES side promoting a 5K arena as a benefit of hosting the games? If a deal with the Flames had been worked out before the vote the chances of the YES side winning would have been a lot higher.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2018, 6:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corndogger View Post
Then why is the YES side promoting a 5K arena as a benefit of hosting the games? If a deal with the Flames had been worked out before the vote the chances of the YES side winning would have been a lot higher.
Because you can;t sign a deal on an IF. You can't log roll the money into the flames until you are locked in with the feds or province (they may have objected to using public funds from those levels for a flames arena if it was explicit, after the fact, since it looks like gain - more facility for the money, that is different). Talks aren't advanced enough with the flames either. And they didn't want a vote to be about the arena, the vote is about the olympics.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2018, 7:25 PM
No man's land

I thought I was in the library thread

Old Posted Nov 8, 2018, 7:28 PM

SPP is a MAD house!

Old Posted Nov 8, 2018, 7:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalcolmTucker View Post
Because you can;t sign a deal on an IF. You can't log roll the money into the flames until you are locked in with the feds or province (they may have objected to using public funds from those levels for a flames arena if it was explicit, after the fact, since it looks like gain - more facility for the money, that is different). Talks aren't advanced enough with the flames either. And they didn't want a vote to be about the arena, the vote is about the olympics.
But it's still an IF either way. Imagine what a waste it would be if we voted yes for the olympics and they actually went ahead with a 6,000 seat arena! Given some of the retards and idiots on council, that's exactly what would happen too.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2018, 8:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dg66 View Post
But it's still an IF either way. Imagine what a waste it would be if we voted yes for the olympics and they actually went ahead with a 6,000 seat arena! Given some of the retards and idiots on council, that's exactly what would happen too.
I think we can all relax, a European city will "win" the 2026 Olympics, it's their turn and the IOC is uber political about rotating the games by region, Calgary is just a check bid, but bidding likely helps us for 2030 if the interest is still there for a second bid.

‘I believe in science’ is a statement generally made by people who don’t understand much about it. - Judith Curry, Professor Emeritus GIT

Old Posted Nov 8, 2018, 8:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburgatory View Post
I thought I was in the library thread
Library, Olympics, New Arena, it's all the same in the end. It should all be under the same thread called 'Waste of Money Discussion Thread'

Old Posted Nov 8, 2018, 10:34 PM

Quote:
And it's why so many people don't trust them, especially on this issue.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2018, 10:56 PM
Go Tall or Go Home

Why not go for the Olympics?
City contributes less than $400mil and gets nearly $3 Billion invested in the city.
Seems like a no-brainer yes vote to me.

However I fear there are too many crumudeons who don't want the city to do anything, ever, ever that the vote will be a no.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2018, 10:57 PM
No man's land

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatcat loser View Post
Library, Olympics, New Arena, it's all the same in the end. It should all be under the same thread called 'Waste of Money Discussion Thread'
Sounds like a better title here is usually "Waste of Discussion Thread".

Old Posted Nov 8, 2018, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craner View Post
City contributes less than $400mil and gets nearly $3 Billion invested in the city.

However I fear there are too many crumudeons who don't want the cuty to do anything, ever, ever that the vote will be a no.
That's because people with no brains would vote for it. 3 Billion invested in the city that can be used for what exactly? In case you haven't noticed, the money isn't going to regular infrastructure like rods and bridges, etc..

Old Posted Nov 8, 2018, 11:07 PM
Go Tall or Go Home

Quote:
That's because people with no brains would vote for it. 3 Billion invested in the city that can be used for what exactly? In case you haven't noticed, the money isn't going to regular infrastructure like rods and bridges, etc..
So the only thing the City should be building is roads & bridges ?
Sounds like that would make for a depressing place.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2018, 11:17 PM

Quote:
So the only thing the City should be building is roads & bridges ?
Sounds like that would make for a depressing place.
Umm. You do realize that we need those things don’t you? I mean $5billion for a two week sporting event? Thankfully not everyone in this city is that stupid and the the vote won’t pass anyway.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2018, 11:28 PM
Go Tall or Go Home

We're not getting $3 Billion without the Olympics so why would we say no to it? I suspect you're correct that the no vote will win. Just seems like a missed opportunity for a lot of dough invested in the City.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2018, 11:37 PM

Quote:
We're not getting $3 Billion without the Olympics so why would we say no to it? I suspect you're correct that the no vote will win. Just seems like a missed opportunity for a lot of dough invested in the City.
It’s a lot of money, but it’s not going into anything useful.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2018, 11:44 PM
Go Tall or Go Home

It would maintain Calgary as a training ground for national & international athletes. It would build a fieldhouse which the City has wanted for years. Expanded BMO Centre to be able to host larger conventions and trade shows. All sounds positive to me.
I just don't see what the downside is to hosting.

I would love to have $3B invested in our transportation system as well but that is not an option for these funds.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2018, 11:46 PM

Quote:

However I fear there are too many crumudeons who don't want the city to do anything, ever, ever that the vote will be a no.
The yes vote people have that mentality of 'hey let's do this, we're getting some free government money' But it's not free. The city still has to pay millions $$, and taxpayers in Calgary are also paying part of the provincial and federal money, and for what? To be on TV for a week or two, and come away with a bunch of sports facilities nobody uses.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2018, 11:50 PM

Quote:
It would maintain Calgary as a training ground for national & international athletes. It would build a fieldhouse which the City has wanted for years. Expanded BMO Centre to be able to host larger conventions and trade shows. All sounds positive to me.
I just don't see what the downside is to hosting.

I would love to have $3B invested in our transportation system as well but that is not an option for these funds.
There are $400 million downsides. Yay, we get a field house for $400 million An expended BMO centre that can expanded by themselves they don't need our money for that. Sounds awesome buddy

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Projects & Construction Updates