HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Mar 9, 2016, 6:18 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by NolaWXGuy1208 View Post
http://www.nola.com/business/index.s...rt_river_index
City government seems to not at all be interested in this property and any new ideas seem to be more along the lines of strip malls. If the IDB decides to sell, it could at least allow other companies to take over and return Jazzland. Since the closure of AstroWorld in Houston, there are literally no amusement parks from Atlanta to San Antonio (except small ones and, of course, Blue Bayou/Dixie Landing). I think this would be a prime opportunity for a development team to redevelop this park! I know it's not in the perfect location, but come on. However, if the city decides to keep the property, I certainly feel that there will be no amusement park option, seeing as they always fight that idea. I really do not get this city's fixation on turning it into a strip mall! There's plenty of land surrounding it to build that if the city really wants to. Why is this park the only option available? And if the city is trying to be a more "family friendly" location, why not start with a theme park? I don't think we need to turn into a Disney, but at least give us options...
Theme parks have just become a problem for many cities. Thats why so many places dont want them. trust me there is a reason no theme parks exist between san antonio and atlanta now. They just dont attract the clientele that a disney does or universal studios. Personally the city should just sell it!

I Know I should be ashamed of this but Im really excited to see Waffle House on Canal is cruising along now:

VA Medical Pics:

Canal Street Hotel interior demo work is starting:

The Jung:

1600 Canal Demo and Renovation work is starting this week!

1600 Canal St·Dumpster/Construction Zone ·Ref Code: NNZP5Y
Download (2) Print Summary SubmitAdd to Watch List
Type:
Dumpster/Construction Zone
Applicant:
Morris Kahn
Application Submitted
Date Filed:
3/7/2016 3:25:28 PM
Closed:
No
Description
Placing a dumpster with a construction zone located at 1600 Canal St from March 8th, 2016 thru April 22, 2016 for the renovation under #16-06379-Demi

Starbucks at Pan American Center:

BTW for those of you curious about that 1 hour cleaners thing proposed for the canopy Hotel heres a picture from 1962:

Last edited by tennis1400; Mar 9, 2016 at 7:01 PM.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2016, 8:06 PM
TL;DR

I like the retro "1 Hour Cleaning" bar.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2016, 8:35 PM

Benson Tower: Anyone know what is going on in the old first floor department store/close LSU health clinic in the base of Benson tower? I see a big "Woodward" sign up and some activity there.

It is, sadly, an Ochsner facility!

Old Posted Mar 10, 2016, 6:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WesternSon View Post
Dave and Busters: Is it just me or have we seen an updated rendering (with green walls etc) that is different than the sign that is up at the construction site?

Old Posted Mar 10, 2016, 3:43 PM

Regarding the Jazzland site, I do think a theme park could work there. The key is to have a great offering and not be a run-of-the-mill park. Perhaps the city should court the folks who own Cedar Point (among other parks). I think that's a great model for a park that while, small and not in a major city, draws visitors from around the world, due to its thrill ride offerings. Our tourism numbers have probably surpassed what they where in 2004/early 2005, and we have a lot of growth with hotels, the airport, etc. that could make this work.

At any rate, I do hope the city sells it outright. It is absolutely terrible at managing property.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2016, 6:27 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by prokowave View Post
Regarding the Jazzland site, I do think a theme park could work there. The key is to have a great offering and not be a run-of-the-mill park. Perhaps the city should court the folks who own Cedar Point (among other parks). I think that's a great model for a park that while, small and not in a major city, draws visitors from around the world, due to its thrill ride offerings. Our tourism numbers have probably surpassed what they where in 2004/early 2005, and we have a lot of growth with hotels, the airport, etc. that could make this work.

At any rate, I do hope the city sells it outright. It is absolutely terrible at managing property.
Agree the city has much more pressing things to worry about! So hopefully the IDB just sells it!

Old Posted Mar 10, 2016, 9:12 PM
-

The Jung:

\

Old Posted Mar 10, 2016, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverend_Cletus View Post
Oh wow, versus

Guess, that budget had to be reigned in. Plus, they did have to make last minute site plan changes due to an overlooked design flaw was caught after concrete began pouring.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2016, 12:55 AM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uptowner View Post
Oh wow, versus

Guess, that budget had to be reigned in. Plus, they did have to make last minute site plan changes due to an overlooked design flaw was caught after concrete began pouring.
yeah they VEd the crap out of that thing. Hopefully it looks better in real life than that rendering.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2016, 4:27 AM
TL;DR

Awful. They couldn't even dress up the Poydras side with something nicer.

This thing is heinous, and it will be the only parking garage to front directly on Poydras, usually they are on the side streets.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2016, 5:03 AM

I really hope they're able to do something to make it look less like a run-of-the-mill parking garage with a Dave & Buster's on top.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2016, 4:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennis1400 View Post
Theme parks have just become a problem for many cities. Thats why so many places dont want them. trust me there is a reason no theme parks exist between san antonio and atlanta now. They just dont attract the clientele that a disney does or universal studios. Personally the city should just sell it!
Do you have any stats or facts to back up this opinion? There are over 300 amusement parks around the USA, and they bring in a lot of tax $ and tourists. I think a mid-sized, well run, family oriented amusement park near New Orleans would do fantastic business. And as far as no parks existing between San Antonio and Atlanta, that isn't quite true. There's Dixie Landin of course, but also the Galveston/Kemah parks, Alabama Splash Adventure, and 4 different Oceanside parks in Alabama and the Florida panhandle.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2016, 5:14 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivtim View Post
Do you have any stats or facts to back up this opinion? There are over 300 amusement parks around the USA, and they bring in a lot of tax $ and tourists. I think a mid-sized, well run, family oriented amusement park near New Orleans would do fantastic business. And as far as no parks existing between San Antonio and Atlanta, that isn't quite true. There's Dixie Landin of course, but also the Galveston/Kemah parks, Alabama Splash Adventure, and 4 different Oceanside parks in Alabama and the Florida panhandle.
From someone that used to be a manager at Astroworld. Obviously there are way around it. Charge more for entry etc... main concern for me is the city taking control of it. I want them to sell it because we dont need to own it. However, if private capital wants to turn it into a themepark have at it. Just saying I personally wouldnt invest in it but best of luck to anyone that does! And Im not talking about small theme parks but six flags or larger types. Dixie landing etc dont really count.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2016, 5:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennis1400 View Post
From someone that used to be a manager at Astroworld. Obviously there are way around it. Charge more for entry etc... main concern for me is the city taking control of it. I want them to sell it because we dont need to own it. However, if private capital wants to turn it into a themepark have at it. Just saying I personally wouldnt invest in it but best of luck to anyone that does! And Im not talking about small theme parks but six flags or larger types. Dixie landing etc dont really count.
Ah, makes sense. City-run parks have indeed had issues. Makes sense for the city to sell off the land for a profit, and if someone wants to build an amusement park, houses, shopping, etc, that's fine because it's their own private funding. I do think it would be nice for families in New Orleans to have a nice amusement park to go to without having to fly to Orlando.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2016, 3:10 PM

Does anybody know the status of the Canal Crossing apartment building proposed on Canal Street?

http://www.nola.com/business/index.s...ent_retai.html

Old Posted Mar 15, 2016, 3:47 PM

Typically those projects get announced very early on in the planning stages. I'm sure they still have a lot of design work to do before they can get all of the permitting in place and city approvals needed before construction can start. Fortunately, I don't see anyone putting up a fight over that part of Canal, so it shouldn't be delayed.

Here in Mid-City, the shopping center that was formerly a Home Depot is moving quickly with the CVS having just opened. The three smaller buildings are probably a month or two from being completed and work on the larger building in the back is ongoing. I've noticed another building across the street from this (in the 500 Block of N. Carrollton) and don't remember hearing anything about it. Does anyone know what's going in there? Or in any of the other buildings for that matter - I've heard Wingstop and possibly a Petco, but that still leaves three spaces.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2016, 12:59 PM

I know I've asked before about that end of Canal St being developed. I have not lived in New Orleans for many years, but back then that end of Canal was a place to be avoided because of muggings and crime.

Has it been cleaned up enough to allow hotels and apartments to be successful there?

Old Posted Mar 16, 2016, 1:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nolafan View Post
Does anybody know the status of the Canal Crossing apartment building proposed on Canal Street?

http://www.nola.com/business/index.s...ent_retai.html
They're seeking a waiver because the zoning along Canal requires street facing retail and they're not proposing any retail.

http://onestopapp.nola.gov/Downloads...37131961020267

Old Posted Mar 16, 2016, 1:54 PM

Good catch. I thought they were proposing some retail, but apparently not. I do think they should be required to provide actual retail space, given the size of the lot. This is one of the few developments large enough to contain more than a small restaurant or two. With the Iberville development nearby and surely more to come in this area, retail will be needed to keep the area walkable.

Speaking of Iberville, to answer your question York, I think with it being almost completely rebuilt and with the new hotels and apartments including the Jung, Governor's house and former UNO buildings, there will be a lot of activity to keep the area relatively safe. I suspect more development will fill in the other empty lots over the next few years.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2016, 6:09 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by prokowave View Post
Good catch. I thought they were proposing some retail, but apparently not. I do think they should be required to provide actual retail space, given the size of the lot. This is one of the few developments large enough to contain more than a small restaurant or two. With the Iberville development nearby and surely more to come in this area, retail will be needed to keep the area walkable.

Speaking of Iberville, to answer your question York, I think with it being almost completely rebuilt and with the new hotels and apartments including the Jung, Governor's house and former UNO buildings, there will be a lot of activity to keep the area relatively safe. I suspect more development will fill in the other empty lots over the next few years.
Thankfully they didnt get the waiver. They are currently revising plans and working with Design review to address the retail conerns. Will make the porject that much better
!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations