HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio

Old Posted Apr 16, 2018, 6:29 PM
Loving SA 365 days a year

Quote:
Originally Posted by SA_Pride28 View Post
Were we not on topic? Honest question. I assumed that discussing anything related to the frost tower and it's construction was allowed.
The posts I deleted were beginning to samway away from topic and into some potentially ugly territory.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2018, 11:06 PM

They are already preparing to pour a new floor. I think this is the fastest they have ever turned around a new floor, definitely less than eight days

Old Posted Apr 19, 2018, 6:00 PM

Just some up close photos of the frost tower. Really loving the glass look! I've got a photo of the tower from IH 35 S as well.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2018, 1:09 AM
Meh

Besides the height issue and having the parking garage be under the tower adding to the height, I wish they had put the parking under the tower so that they could have disguised it better and not having it gobble up so much of the block. The Frost Bank Tower in San Antonio will be beautiful, no doubt, but I sort of feel like the parking garage is a big distraction to that. I do get why they did it, though. It would have been difficult to carry on the shape/design of the tower into the parking levels. Parking garages tend to be pretty square and boring. Making them any other shape than that just isn't practical, unless you're working with space constraints or a strangely shaped lot.

I wouldn't worry, though. I suspect San Antonio will have more office towers to come. Residential buildings aren't very good catalysts to starting a building boom. Generally, after residents move it, they stay, unless they're merely investors. Otherwise, they tend to settle down and pay it off like normal people. That means that new residential buildings in a neighborhood tend to not shake things up much. New residents come in, but generally, you're not going to see people moving out of other ones to opt for some newer space. Office buildings, though, absolutely do that. They encourage new companies to come to a place where maybe they hadn't considered being or didn't have the option to move to because of a lack of contiguous space. If that happens, it could encourage developers to do it again with another tower. The other thing is you might have a company that is already there that is looking for space but can't find enough until a new tower does come along. Then that allows them to move out of their current space, which allows other companies to expand or new ones to come in. It also encourages property managers to upgrade their buildings to stay competitive. I would be very surprised if San Antonio didn't have another announced project in a year or two.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2018, 2:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
Besides the height issue and having the parking garage be under the tower adding to the height, I wish they had put the parking under the tower so that they could have disguised it better and not having it gobble up so much of the block. The Frost Bank Tower in San Antonio will be beautiful, no doubt, but I sort of feel like the parking garage is a big distraction to that. I do get why they did it, though. It would have been difficult to carry on the shape/design of the tower into the parking levels. Parking garages tend to be pretty square and boring. Making them any other shape than that just isn't practical, unless you're working with space constraints or a strangely shaped lot.

I wouldn't worry, though. I suspect San Antonio will have more office towers to come. Residential buildings aren't very good catalysts to starting a building boom. Generally, after residents move it, they stay, unless they're merely investors. Otherwise, they tend to settle down and pay it off like normal people. That means that new residential buildings in a neighborhood tend to not shake things up much. New residents come in, but generally, you're not going to see people moving out of other ones to opt for some newer space. Office buildings, though, absolutely do that. They encourage new companies to come to a place where maybe they hadn't considered being or didn't have the option to move to because of a lack of contiguous space. If that happens, it could encourage developers to do it again with another tower. The other thing is you might have a company that is already there that is looking for space but can't find enough until a new tower does come along. Then that allows them to move out of their current space, which allows other companies to expand or new ones to come in. It also encourages property managers to upgrade their buildings to stay competitive. I would be very surprised if San Antonio didn't have another announced project in a year or two.
I've said in many times, something new has to be announced by year end, if not, we may not see a new highrise for years to come. If San Antonio is truly in a building boom, then expect to see something by year end. I may not be in the business, but I am an analyst. It's all the same in forcasting markets and growth.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2018, 2:28 PM
JACKinBeantown

^^ (like button)

Old Posted Apr 16, 2018, 5:04 PM

I'm also mesmerized by how pretty the glass is...they really picked a great material

Old Posted Apr 20, 2018, 12:26 AM
COGSADCAJA- Publicist

Damn she's looking fine

Old Posted Apr 20, 2018, 8:31 AM

oh wow. that view from 35 really gives a perspective into how much this is gonna change the skyline. especially considering that it should top out close to the height of the taller crane. excited to see the finished product (especially at night )

Old Posted Apr 20, 2018, 2:05 PM

Wow, looks amazing. Definitely going to be the best thing going... anywhere!

Old Posted Apr 23, 2018, 2:20 AM

I just got to say it again...
BEST....
THING...
GOING....
ANYWHERE!!!!!!!

Old Posted Apr 23, 2018, 4:10 AM

Looks like they raised the other crane. Assuming this will be the last time.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2018, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltraDanPrime View Post
I just got to say it again...
BEST....
THING...
GOING....
ANYWHERE!!!!!!!
Anywhere... in San Antonio?

In Texas?

The USA?

The world?!

Old Posted Apr 23, 2018, 11:29 AM

The world8

Old Posted Apr 23, 2018, 2:18 PM

Quote:
The world8
Apparently there's some requirement on the forum now that people must speak in hyperbole.

Can we please have some perspective?

The Frost is a beautiful building, no doubt about that. And it's going to be a wonderful addition to our skyline. Definitely the best thing going in San Antonio right now (though there's not much competition there, if we're honest).

The best in Texas, though? in the entire country? in the effing world? Seriously?!

I mean, you don't really even need to go around the world to see some of the amazing things being built right now. You can literally click around in the very forum you're on.

This is sort of like if you had a pretty girlfriend---definitely pretty, but not like a supermodel or something---and you walked around saying "MY GIRLFRIEND IS THE MOST BEAUTIFUL WOMAN IN THE HISTORY OF THE KNOWN WORLD."

Um. No. She's pretty, for sure! No doubt about that. But why go overboard? Just because she's not stunning doesn't mean she's ugly. There's a spectrum.

The Frost is great for San Antonio, but really, can we please get some perspective here? It doesn't have to be the best thing going in the country (let alone the world) for it to still be meaningful.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2018, 2:17 PM

Your absolutley right JACK, it's all about personal taste. Thanks for sharing your opinion! 👍

Old Posted Apr 23, 2018, 2:58 PM

Thanks for sharing your opinion also. But the cool thing here is we all get our own! & mine is it's the best thing going in the world! A world class addition to a world class city! (& I don't want to get into a world class city debate, so don't bother trying)

Old Posted Apr 23, 2018, 3:14 PM

Quote:
Thanks for sharing your opinion also. But the cool thing here is we all get our own! & mine is it's the best thing going in the world! A world class addition to a world class city! (& I don't want to get into a world class city debate, so don't bother trying)
World class!

Everything is world class!

This is world class! That is world class! It's all world claaaaaassss!

Old Posted Apr 23, 2018, 4:59 PM

Quote:

AGREED!

And we are all entitled to our own opinion!! And we will NOT be SILENCED, CORRECT???

Old Posted Apr 23, 2018, 3:52 PM

O...K... that's kinda... never mind, let's move on from this.

Great outburst though! I'll go ahead & give ya a thumbs up for that one champ!👍

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio