HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Sep 30, 2019, 7:08 AM

I wonder if Uniqlo would be interested in the Forever 21 location at Polo Park

Old Posted Sep 30, 2019, 7:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by armorand93 View Post
https://winnipeg.ctvnews.ca/five-tee...qRDjmWiWit1azc

One thing I have noticed out in Calgary: this never happens out here.

Hell, before 2017, this NEVER happened in Winnipeg either. But ever since, its like the free-for-all at Foody Goodys...

Privatizing the liquor stores might help - or might make these a fuck of alot worse... I think maybe they just need either better security, that or more jobs for young people in Winnipeg, because if they are starting to pull these stunts so brazenly, its only a matter of time before it starts showing up elsewhere around the city.
Dude...you gotta stop these Calgary quips. They’re annoying and needless in this sub forum. Once or twice sure. If Calgary as a city has relevance to a discussion sure bring it up but these kinds of statements are pointless, add nothing to the conversation in this sub forum, and come across as constant belittling. Like this type of remark seems to be somehow inserted into every. Single. One. Of your posts.

I lived there multiple times, I’ve spent a significant chunk of my life there in total, I still pay taxes there. . I’m not sure how long you’ve been there (it doesn’t sound very long given the commentary you bring about Calgary, sounds like someone who is young, just moved there and is still in the “new city” stage), but once you live there for more than a month or two, you’ll see there are some ubiquitous things in all cities in all corners. These exact types of crimes DO happen there. I’ve lived by a liquor depot where it happened.

If you’re going to talk about Winnipeg, try to do so without always tying it back to Calgary; as others have mentioned multiple times over the past several months, there is another sub forum to discuss that city. People come to this sub forum to read about Winnipeg. Every time I read your posts there’s seemingly always some commentary about Calgary popped in there, and given how active you are, it makes it more difficult to read the salient points you try to make. It reminds me of multiple peers I had, last time I was living there, who were from BC that couldn’t go on a conversation without talking about how amazing BC was and how lacklustre Calgary and Alberta was. “Ok, we get it.”

Old Posted Sep 30, 2019, 9:48 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by roccerfeller View Post
Dude...you gotta stop these Calgary quips. They’re annoying and needless in this sub forum. Once or twice sure. If Calgary as a city has relevance to a discussion sure bring it up but these kinds of statements are pointless, add nothing to the conversation in this sub forum, and come across as constant belittling. Like this type of remark seems to be somehow inserted into every. Single. One. Of your posts.

I lived there multiple times, I’ve spent a significant chunk of my life there in total, I still pay taxes there. . I’m not sure how long you’ve been there (it doesn’t sound very long given the commentary you bring about Calgary, sounds like someone who is young, just moved there and is still in the “new city” stage), but once you live there for more than a month or two, you’ll see there are some ubiquitous things in all cities in all corners. These exact types of crimes DO happen there. I’ve lived by a liquor depot where it happened.

If you’re going to talk about Winnipeg, try to do so without always tying it back to Calgary; as others have mentioned multiple times over the past several months, there is another sub forum to discuss that city. People come to this sub forum to read about Winnipeg. Every time I read your posts there’s seemingly always some commentary about Calgary popped in there, and given how active you are, it makes it more difficult to read the salient points you try to make. It reminds me of multiple peers I had, last time I was living there, who were from BC that couldn’t go on a conversation without talking about how amazing BC was and how lacklustre Calgary and Alberta was. “Ok, we get it.”
"Like"

Old Posted Sep 30, 2019, 10:36 AM
Transit Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAKGUY View Post
I am not a supporter of guns. However, on the flip side..let these people try this IN USA, they will be SHOT dead in a second and store owner will not be charged whatsoever. I kind of wish that could happen just once here to act as an example, teach these soulless amoral Thugs a lesson.
And everyone on SSP is giving ME the lectures and the speeches...

Old Posted Sep 30, 2019, 10:50 AM
Transit Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by roccerfeller View Post

You seem to be ignoring one key thing, and one EXTREMELY valid point: why is it, that Winnipeg's kids are now shoplifting en masse? Not even just a handful of cosmetics, food or anything either... but why specifically entire shelves of booze? Especially in the days of legal weed and everything, too? Not even cellphones, tv's, Xbox units or anything else... specifically liquor.

Without turning this into some racist rant like I've been reading from a certain someone... (not you), i mean, exactly what is the future of young people growing up in Winnipeg, since they're now roaming around doing mass shoplifting and robberies? And what is the future of liquor in Winnipeg? Especially if the LC pulls a Ned Flanders and does jackshit enforcement measures... why allow the LC to hold a monopoly on a product they can't even secure and sell, when a private business can do better? And dare i say, provide WAY more jobs? And maybe even help to whittle away the government red tape that Manitoba slaps on everything?

Noticed everyones replies and posts lately too: they'll allow a bunch of Jew-bashing and other crap, yet i point out a logical fallacy, and "OHOHOHOHOHO YOU'RE NOT A WINNIPEGGER ANYMORE, YOUR OPINION IS NOT VALID!!!"

Kind of makes me wonder why I'm even still on SSP, if people keep glossing over valid arguments and points, ignoring the one I'm trying to make, while allowing others to reel out the psychopathic ideas...

Old Posted Sep 30, 2019, 11:37 AM
BANNED

Quote:
You seem to be ignoring one key thing, and one EXTREMELY valid point: why is it, that Winnipeg's kids are now shoplifting en masse? Not even just a handful of cosmetics, food or anything either... but why specifically entire shelves of booze? Especially in the days of legal weed and everything, too? Not even cellphones, tv's, Xbox units or anything else... specifically liquor.

Without turning this into some racist rant like I've been reading from a certain someone... (not you), i mean, exactly what is the future of young people growing up in Winnipeg, since they're now roaming around doing mass shoplifting and robberies? And what is the future of liquor in Winnipeg? Especially if the LC pulls a Ned Flanders and does jackshit enforcement measures... why allow the LC to hold a monopoly on a product they can't even secure and sell, when a private business can do better? And dare i say, provide WAY more jobs? And maybe even help to whittle away the government red tape that Manitoba slaps on everything?

Noticed everyones replies and posts lately too: they'll allow a bunch of Jew-bashing and other crap, yet i point out a logical fallacy, and "OHOHOHOHOHO YOU'RE NOT A WINNIPEGGER ANYMORE, YOUR OPINION IS NOT VALID!!!"

Kind of makes me wonder why I'm even still on SSP, if people keep glossing over valid arguments and points, ignoring the one I'm trying to make, while allowing others to reel out the psychopathic ideas...
You are so concerned that you are bitching about it on the internet from another city. If you are so concerned, then why don't you move back and make a constructive effort to help make a difference. Otherwise, your armchair "the sky is falling" whinging and glorification of Calgary doesn't do anything positive.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2019, 2:33 PM

Old Posted Sep 30, 2019, 2:58 PM

I Wonder if Pro Hockey Life Would Be Interested in the Forever 21 location at Outlet Collection Winnipeg That Will Be Awesome

Old Posted Sep 30, 2019, 3:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pegcity View Post
If I was St.Vital I would take advantage right now while Polo Park is still deciding what to do with the Sears location. St Vital should at least try to secure the first, Uniqlo, the first Sporting Life, the first Zara, the first Miniso, the first Muji
First, Polo Park has had a plan for the Sears space since before Sears announced they were vacating it. Just because those plans have not been made public doesn't mean they are "still deciding". The public comments have long suggested Simons has a deal in place to take over that space, or a similar space, when it became available. Due to how Simons finances their expansion the timing was a little off but CF is willing to let the space sit dark while waiting for the right fit rather than take the first opportunity to fill the space with something like "Halloween Spirit".

I would wager most of those have a written contract with CF already that before they enter a new market they need to give CF advance notice for them to have an opportunity to have the first to market store in their property in trade for access to other CF properties across the country. Keep in mind CF in one of the top mall operators in all of Canada and St Vital is operated by a group that doesn't even place in the top 20.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pegcity View Post
I wonder if Uniqlo would be interested in the Forever 21 location at Polo Park
At just over 37,000 sq ft on a deep, anchor space and combo Zara/Zara Home would likely be a better fit to take over the the deep and fairly narrow space. Suzy Sheer is about half the depth of the Forever 21 space and is deeper than most smaller footprint stores in the mall.

Zara is a major international retailer of "quick fashion" clothing that has somehow not come to Winnipeg yet. They more recently launched a spin-off brand called Zara Home focusing on similar quick and affordable takes on home furnishings. Having a combined store would let them take over the large space without needing to worry as much about mall access and depth of the location.

For Outlet Collection, the just over 19,000 sq F21 Red poses a small challenge as its space as a corner anchor also minimizes mall access without a somewhat obscured split of the space. Possible fits without a major new tenant would be to relocate the 15,000 sq ft Old Navy or the 12,000 sq ft Under Armour, both possible with a smaller slice of space taken away. Both those locations would be easier to split into smaller spaces. The Under Armour space would also be nearly the perfect size for a Coach Factor store.

It will definitely be interesting to watch how both spaces play as they are not just as simple as go find any tenant, similar to the challenges with the St James Target location but not as complex.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2019, 3:32 PM

...I should add, construction has finally started on the Portage Ave Costco. It is mostly at the site prep stage with having utilities extended into the previously unserviced site. Work actually began a couple weeks back. Based on a general building structure of Costco I would suspect it opens in the "warm" months of 2020 as the parking lot will be the biggest obstacle to completion.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2019, 4:20 PM

Who gives a shit whats going on In Calgary. Let Calgary do Calgary.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2019, 4:50 PM
BANNED

Quote:

Good post, try walking out of a liquor store with product in the US or anywhere else for that matter and see how far you get, and here the employees even know that those are walking out with product and not paying, insanity and this falls squarely on the current govt. for inaction!

Pathetic that no one cares in govt. as the losses are just passed on to consumers.

What's even more disturbing is that those stealing are mostly under legal drinking age and yet good old MLCC makes sure to ID those actually paying for the product for those up to age 30! What a fucking joke!

Old Posted Sep 30, 2019, 4:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrskylar View Post
Good post, try walking out of a liquor store with product in the US or anywhere else for that matter and see how far you get, and here the employees even know that those are walking out with product and not paying, insanity and this falls squarely on the current govt. for inaction!

Pathetic that no one cares in govt. as the losses are just passed on to consumers.

What's even more disturbing is that those stealing are mostly under legal drinking age and yet good old MLCC makes sure to ID those actually paying for the product for those up to age 30! What fucking joke!
MLLC has suggested that the profit losses from going back to the old order at the counter and have your purchase brought out after payment system would outweigh the losses from theft, but on the other hand there is a pretty serious social cost to basically sending out the message that theft will not be taken seriously. It's a green light to the deadbeats and criminals of the city that they can go ahead and help themselves, and no one will do anything about it.

A crown corporation like MLLC should see the value in maintaining public confidence in their operations and in taking measures to restore social order. I personally have a hard time imagining that a guy like Pallister doesn't see a big problem here... but when is anyone going to do something about it?

Old Posted Sep 30, 2019, 5:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
I live in Old St. Vital and always go to Polo.

Because Polo is a better mall with far better stores and selection. The only clothing stores I would ever buy something at in St. Vital are Sport Chek, and maybe RW & Co. Both of which are at or near Polo and Seasons. Also shop at The Bay occasionally, but usually online or maybe Polo, as St. Vital and Portage have terrible selections.

There's no reason for me to ever go to St. Vital. Men's selection is an embarrassment – so much so they only list 10 men's stores on their website. That includes Jets Gear, Sport Chek, and Walmart. And I don't think anyone is rushing down to go to International Clothiers or "Urbanology."
“ONLY” 10 stores! How many could you possibly need?

Old Posted Sep 30, 2019, 5:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAKGUY View Post
I am not a supporter of guns. However, on the flip side..let these people try this IN USA, they will be SHOT dead in a second and store owner will not be charged whatsoever. I kind of wish that could happen just once here to act as an example, teach these soulless amoral Thugs a lesson.
And how often has that happened?

Old Posted Sep 30, 2019, 5:17 PM
What could go wrong?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryB View Post
First, Polo Park has had a plan for the Sears space since before Sears announced they were vacating it. Just because those plans have not been made public doesn't mean they are "still deciding". The public comments have long suggested Simons has a deal in place to take over that space, or a similar space, when it became available. Due to how Simons finances their expansion the timing was a little off but CF is willing to let the space sit dark while waiting for the right fit rather than take the first opportunity to fill the space with something like "Halloween Spirit".
Demo work in the Sears Polo Park space has begun.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Sep 30, 2019, 5:57 PM

Pretty certain I have said it before. LiquorMarts should take a page out of cannabis retailing. Check your id before you are allowed into the store. With checking id, accepting only government issued photo id, and combining that with store video surveillance they could quickly build a black list of people that are not allowed back in their stores for suspected theft. They could also turn over the id log and video footage of suspected thefts to police. With a little leg work on the police side they should be able to quickly get convictions on these thefts.

Once would be thieves know that they will be caught it would slow down the outright brazen thefts that have been happening. The other piece LiquorMarts needs to start taking more seriously is locking up products with high values and highly targeted for thefts. Making it more difficult to steal those items would also help. Walk into someplace like Best Buy or Staples and they are significantly more hardened against thefts than a LiquorMart.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2019, 5:59 PM

^ Liquor Marts already lock up the high-dollar items like Grey Goose, Hennessey, the Texas mickeys and what not.

The trouble is that the thieving class is happy to settle for whatever's available. If Grey Goose is locked up, then Kolomyka will do. As long as something it available on a self-serve basis, it will get stolen under the current conditions in Liquor Marts.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2019, 6:10 PM

Quote:

I would wager most of those have a written contract with CF already that before they enter a new market they need to give CF advance notice for them to have an opportunity to have the first to market store in their property in trade for access to other CF properties across the country. Keep in mind CF in one of the top mall operators in all of Canada and St Vital is operated by a group that doesn't even place in the top 20.

At just over 37,000 sq ft on a deep, anchor space and combo Zara/Zara Home would likely be a better fit to take over the the deep and fairly narrow space. Suzy Sheer is about half the depth of the Forever 21 space and is deeper than most smaller footprint stores in the mall.

Zara is a major international retailer of "quick fashion" clothing that has somehow not come to Winnipeg yet. They more recently launched a spin-off brand called Zara Home focusing on similar quick and affordable takes on home furnishings. Having a combined store would let them take over the large space without needing to worry as much about mall access and depth of the location.

For Outlet Collection, the just over 19,000 sq F21 Red poses a small challenge as its space as a corner anchor also minimizes mall access without a somewhat obscured split of the space. Possible fits without a major new tenant would be to relocate the 15,000 sq ft Old Navy or the 12,000 sq ft Under Armour, both possible with a smaller slice of space taken away. Both those locations would be easier to split into smaller spaces. The Under Armour space would also be nearly the perfect size for a Coach Factor store.

It will definitely be interesting to watch how both spaces play as they are not just as simple as go find any tenant, similar to the challenges with the St James Target location but not as complex.
CORYB- Just for fun, if you were in charge of the Sears location at Polo Park, what would you do with the space? And just for fun, what do you think/predict will actually happen? Drop some names that you think will eventually land at Polo Park.

Some Canadian malls are going the food market/hall route, can you see CF Polo Park doing that? Maybe in the Forever 21 location?

Old Posted Sep 30, 2019, 6:24 PM

Quote:
Pretty certain I have said it before. LiquorMarts should take a page out of cannabis retailing. Check your id before you are allowed into the store. With checking id, accepting only government issued photo id, and combining that with store video surveillance they could quickly build a black list of people that are not allowed back in their stores for suspected theft. They could also turn over the id log and video footage of suspected thefts to police. With a little leg work on the police side they should be able to quickly get convictions on these thefts.

Once would be thieves know that they will be caught it would slow down the outright brazen thefts that have been happening. The other piece LiquorMarts needs to start taking more seriously is locking up products with high values and highly targeted for thefts. Making it more difficult to steal those items would also help. Walk into someplace like Best Buy or Staples and they are significantly more hardened against thefts than a LiquorMart.
The Dominion LC has had a security guard positioned at the front that IDs people on the way in for a couple years now. Pretty much anyone that is not obviously above 40, or looks potentially "sketchy" gets ID'd on entry there. They also generally make you leave backpacks at the front of the store.

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
^ Liquor Marts already lock up the high-dollar items like Grey Goose, Hennessey, the Texas mickeys and what not.

The trouble is that the thieving class is happy to settle for whatever's available. If Grey Goose is locked up, then Kolomyka will do. As long as something it available on a self-serve basis, it will get stolen under the current conditions in Liquor Marts.
I wouldn't be surprised if most of the loss is in the mickeys and single servings. It's so easy to grab a few right at the front on the way out. I've seen numerous people line up and buy a 26, while filling their purses with small bottles. It's the easy-to-grab and hide stuff that should be getting relocated.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan