HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted May 1, 2024, 1:11 PM
What could go wrong?

Jets need to rebuild their defence around Morrissey, DeMelo and Dillon. I don't mind Samberg, but not sure he is a must keep. Morrissey is obvious, DeMelo is just sound and plays great with Morrissey and Dillion is a great team guy, fairly dependable and really our only somewhat nasty defenceman.

Move on from Pionk (terrible season), Stanley and Schmidt. Miller...who knows, they trade for the guy and never played him.

Overall a super disappointing effort by the Jets. They were outplayed in every game, showed they had no answer for the Avs whatsoever and basically did nothing right at all.

Regular season - (A-)
Playoffs - (F)...is their anything lower

Also, I don't think Bowness will be back next year. I believe he had a 2 year contract, he is 69 years old and had a rough year medically with his family.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Last edited by Biff; May 1, 2024 at 1:30 PM.

Old Posted May 1, 2024, 2:00 PM

Another reason why the regular season means SFA. Colorado sandbagged the Jets all season and then turned it up 2 or 3 notches for the playoffs.

It is what it is I guess.

Old Posted May 1, 2024, 2:08 PM
There is always a way

I thought the jets deserved a better fate last night. That was their best played game of the series. It boggles my mind that they were the stingiest team in the league all season and proceeded to allow 28 goals in 5 games (that’s gotta be some sort of record)

Very disappointing showing, because the team looked like they were going to make some noise. Jets are now 0-9 following a loss in the playoffs in their past 3 series. Which is surprising considering how good they’ve typically been in those situations in the regular season. I just really don’t understand how this can happen year over year
Federalist #10, James Madison

Old Posted May 1, 2024, 2:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by optimusREIM View Post
I thought the jets deserved a better fate last night. That was their best played game of the series. It boggles my mind that they were the stingiest team in the league all season and proceeded to allow 28 goals in 5 games (that’s gotta be some sort of record)

Very disappointing showing, because the team looked like they were going to make some noise. Jets are now 0-9 following a loss in the playoffs in their past 3 series. Which is surprising considering how good they’ve typically been in those situations in the regular season. I just really don’t understand how this can happen year over year
Perhaps Wheeler and Dubois were not the problem after all.

Old Posted May 1, 2024, 2:37 PM

28 GA in 5 games was 14% of their entire season’s GA total, I read somewhere

Edit : Also just saw we are the first team in NHL history to allow 5 or more goals in their first 5 games of a playoff series

Old Posted May 1, 2024, 2:59 PM
There is always a way

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinCitySparky View Post
28 GA in 5 games was 14% of their entire season’s GA total, I read somewhere

Edit : Also just saw we are the first team in NHL history to allow 5 or more goals in their first 5 games of a playoff series
There's the record I was looking for.

Funny game hockey is. I really thought the Jets were poised to be great this post season. Hot, playing the right way going into the playoffs.

A bit of a retool on the back end wouldn't hurt. Maybe move on from a couple of the forward corps and see if updating personel does it?
Federalist #10, James Madison

Old Posted May 1, 2024, 3:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozabald View Post
Meh, I think the team made all the right roster moves in the last 12 months and are still better for it. Wouldn't change anything except I guess if you had a crystal ball you might trade Pionk at the start of the season.

I don't usually blame coaching because I'm not in the locker room and I don't know enough about systems etc to have a well-informed opinion. But in this case I'm at a loss to explain what happened otherwise. We know Lauer has been a problem all season. Bones got out-coached, couldn't adapt, had no tricks up his sleeve, too hesitant to change things up or give the young guys a chance. I wish him well but I think a new coaching staff next season will be good for everybody.

Old Posted May 1, 2024, 4:05 PM

I know this is disappointing, but I hope the fan base doesn't get all pissy about it. At the end of the day every team except one will have had a disappointing season. Jets fans had a lot of good entertainment this year, and the team seems to have some good young talent coming up.

"Naysayers are always predicting the present"-Anon.

"Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength"-Eric Hoffer

Old Posted May 1, 2024, 4:47 PM

Avalanche heading home

Should anyone be interested, here's the Avalanche flight back to Denver this morning:
https://www.flightaware.com/live/fli...636Z/CYWG/KDEN

Normally visiting teams immediately fly out after a road game. During the playoffs, it seems visiting teams do an extra overnight before flying home; though the Leafs flew home immediately after last night's game.

Old Posted May 1, 2024, 5:07 PM

I’m not bitter per se but I’m truly bewildered, I wanted to watch some fun games and other than game 1, it was just…sad and confusing a lot of the time.

A longer more quality run would have also been better for civic morale and downtown.

Old Posted May 1, 2024, 6:53 PM

Man, after watching almost all 82 games of the season.. still completely boggled at how different they looked this series. I know the Avs are good but holy.. just sad, disappointed, and confused at how bad they played 5 games.

Old Posted May 1, 2024, 9:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozabald View Post
Wheeler and Dubois were problems. However, coaching is the biggest problem. Bowness made some atrocious decisions in the lasst 3 games, and just by looking at the two teams with under 10 minutes to go in the games last night, it told the story. The Avs were huddled in a circle, listening intently, while their coach drew up plays. Bowness and the Jets just stood around pouting.

If a coach can't motivate a team facing elimination, he does not deserve to be coaching a MJHL team, never mind the Jets.

Last edited by BlackDog204; May 1, 2024 at 10:40 PM.

Old Posted May 1, 2024, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowbean View Post
Man, after watching almost all 82 games of the season.. still completely boggled at how different they looked this series. I know the Avs are good but holy.. just sad, disappointed, and confused at how bad they played 5 games.
I wonder what the result would ahve been in Maurice was still coaching us.

Old Posted May 6, 2024, 5:01 PM

Bowness has retired.

Old Posted May 6, 2024, 5:20 PM
What could go wrong?

I kind of thought that his two year contract was going to be just that. I think we kind of stole him away from retirement and he thought he maybe had one last good shot at a cup.

Nice guy, he really made a difference with our team defense this year (minus the playoffs).
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted May 6, 2024, 5:35 PM

The changes that happened while he was here will redefine the Jets for the years to come. I feel like he helped everyone move on from the Byfuglien years and into something else we can be excited about.

He was at the helm when a lot of our current core started playing their best hockey of their careers - Schiefele, Morrissey, Dillon, Demelo, Lowry, Hellebuyck come to mind.

Old Posted May 7, 2024, 1:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebl View Post
The changes that happened while he was here will redefine the Jets for the years to come. I feel like he helped everyone move on from the Byfuglien years and into something else we can be excited about.

He was at the helm when a lot of our current core started playing their best hockey of their careers - Schiefele, Morrissey, Dillon, Demelo, Lowry, Hellebuyck come to mind.
Let's not forget upcoming players like Perfetti, Lambert, McGroarty, Salomonsson, Chibrikov, Barlow, Heinola, and Rashevsky (if he ever leaves Russia).

Old Posted May 7, 2024, 2:28 AM

Glad we had him indeed

Old Posted May 7, 2024, 2:39 AM
Go kicky fast, okay!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebl View Post

Yup.

He has straightened out the locker room and helped the core players to become who they truly are. He brought out the best in everyone on and off the ice. Chevy will be proud of that at the very least.

Now the final piece of the puzzle to build off what Bones helped build needs to be found, and to finish deep in the playoffs with the final ultimate goal that we all know of and want.

I'm glad he was our coach. Started his career with the Jets (1.0), ended his career with the Jets (2.0).

Now, I'm not so sure.

Old Posted May 7, 2024, 5:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Jabroni View Post
Yup.

I'm glad he was our coach. Started his career with the Jets (1.0), ended his career with the Jets (2.0).
Not to mention playing on the Jets 1.0 organisation for 4 years, beginning in 1980, before turning to coaching in 1984-85.

Last edited by BlackDog204; May 10, 2024 at 4:17 AM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan