HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Oct 23, 2019, 4:41 PM
Fake News

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarrenC12 View Post
That doesn't make it a good look for Alberta, it feeds into the stereotype in a bad way.
Yeah. That dipshit is an embarrassment. "Shut up unless you come up with solutions." Yeah, cause a 16 year old girl shouldn't be allowed to have an opinion unless she solves the biggest problem facing the planet. She's looking to adults to come up with solutions that don't involve magical thinking. Ridiculous.

I'd like to defend my province and say that we're not all this ignorant, but I'm starting to feel like we deserve what's coming to us if we don't change course soon.

Last edited by O-tacular; Oct 24, 2019 at 4:20 PM.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2019, 7:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-tacular View Post
No. That dipshit is an embarrassment. "Shut up unless you come up with solutions." Yeah, cause a 16 year old girl shouldn't be allowed to have an opinion unless she solves the biggest problem facing the planet. She's looking to adults to come up with solutions that don't involve magical thinking. Ridiculous.

I'd like to defend my province and say that we're not all this ignorant, but I'm starting to feel like we deserve what's coming to us if we don't change course soon.
Yes! She may not be able to come up with a solution of her own, but she can sure as hell tell the people who can help come up with a solution to do something about the problem.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2019, 12:48 PM

Holy Crap!! China is building 17 NEW COAL PLANTS! Canada is going to have to do a whole lot more to off-set China’s even more soon to be contribution.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/w...year-cz995wj9t

I support Greta, and she NEEDS to get over to China to generate some climate strikes over there.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2019, 1:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackslack View Post
Holy Crap!! China is building 17 NEW COAL PLANTS! Canada is going to have to do a whole lot more to off-set China’s even more soon to be contribution.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/w...year-cz995wj9t

I support Greta, and she NEEDS to get over to China to generate some climate strikes over there.
You know the difference between coal mines and coal plants right? Because your link is about mines.

In actual power news, India has cancelled 14GW worth of new coal plants in favor of solar, where prices continue to drop:

https://www.independent.co.uk/enviro...-a7751916.html

We know you don't support Greta.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2019, 3:10 PM

Despite all that coal (and yes it is bad), China still has lower per capita emissions than Canada does.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2019, 3:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by milomilo View Post
Despite all that coal (and yes it is bad), China still has lower per capita emissions than Canada does.
I wonder if it’s because they have 39x the population of Canada? In order for Canada to reduce its per capita Canada should import a billion people.

Or maybe it has more to do with Canada having the 2nd largest land mass, while ranking the 39th most populous country. i.e. vast swaths of natural resources that the entire world demands, with the highest consumer of natural resources being our southern neighbour?

Canada has mass land of agriculture that feeds the world, mass O&G and coal that helps energize and build the world, mass forestry that helps construct the world, mass resources to generate concrete that helps build the world. Mass distances between major Canadian centres that people need to travel to and from, up to 6000 km.

Of course on a “per capita” basis Canada will be one of the highest. Use per capita really doesn’t tell the true story.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2019, 3:27 PM

Quote:
And they are investing heavily in renewables, nuclear, and other non-carbon sources at a far faster rate than any developed western nation.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2019, 4:04 PM
Fake News

Quote:
I wonder if it’s because they have 39x the population of Canada? In order for Canada to reduce its per capita Canada should import a billion people.

Or maybe it has more to do with Canada having the 2nd largest land mass, while ranking the 39th most populous country. i.e. vast swaths of natural resources that the entire world demands, with the highest consumer of natural resources being our southern neighbour?

Canada has mass land of agriculture that feeds the world, mass O&G and coal that helps energize and build the world, mass forestry that helps construct the world, mass resources to generate concrete that helps build the world. Mass distances between major Canadian centres that people need to travel to and from, up to 6000 km.

Of course on a “per capita” basis Canada will be one of the highest. Use per capita really doesn’t tell the true story.
Have you looked at a map of China? It is the 4th largest geographic country on earth. It may not be as big as Canada but it ain't small. It's like the continental U.S. in size.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2019, 4:10 PM

Quote:
No. That dipshit is an embarrassment. "Shut up unless you come up with solutions." Yeah, cause a 16 year old girl shouldn't be allowed to have an opinion unless she solves the biggest problem facing the planet. She's looking to adults to come up with solutions that don't involve magical thinking. Ridiculous.

Yeah, it's like saying Mother Theresa should have shut up about poverty because she didn't have solutions to solve it.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2019, 4:19 PM
Fake News

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatnext View Post
Yeah, it's like saying Mother Theresa should have shut up about poverty because she didn't have solutions to solve it.
That's a perfect analogy. I'll have to remember that the next time a mouthbreather uses that argument.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2019, 4:37 PM
BANNED

Quote:
That's a perfect analogy. I'll have to remember that the next time a mouthbreather uses that argument.
that may not go as well as you think...

Video Link

Old Posted Oct 24, 2019, 4:51 PM

Quote:

And, primarily, because we are much richer.

You know, when we say "Canada should reduce it's emissions", that is in no way incompatible with us also agreeing that China should reduce its emissions. Their emissions have been rising rapidly so may converge with ours soon if they don't arrest it.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2019, 4:53 PM

Quote:
Have you looked at a map of China? It is the 4th largest geographic country on earth. It may not be as big as Canada but it ain't small. It's like the continental U.S. in size.
Of course, but China has 1.4 Billion more people than Canada. Of course their per capita will be less than Canada.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2019, 4:58 PM

Quote:
Yes it does. Every single person on the planet has a part to play. Every one of us (except maybe Greta) need to reduce our carbon footprint. Your logic seems to be we have more space and there are less of us so we can continue to pollute all we want as we only add a small amount of pollution compared to places China.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2019, 5:02 PM

Quote:
Of course, but China has 1.4 Billion more people than Canada. Of course their per capita will be less than Canada.
Garbage. The USA has the same landmass as Canada and a higher population. So why is their per capita higher? I'm sure we can find a lower density country with lower emissions too.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2019, 8:40 PM

Here's an article from 2014 (prior to tar sands bust) indicating that clean energy jobs now total more than tar sands jobs.

One can only imagine the further distance between these two industries in 2019. Paging Premier Kenney... anybody home?

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/repo...ticle21859169/

As a side note, a "health-conscious" co-worker of mine grabbed some McDonald's for lunch. He was surprised to see his order (drink, fries, burger) was 100% paper products. No plastic packaging at all, including the drink.

If they can do it, anybody can.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2019, 8:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarrenC12 View Post
Here's an article from 2014 (prior to tar sands bust) indicating that clean energy jobs now total more than tar sands jobs.

One can only imagine the further distance between these two industries in 2019. Paging Premier Kenney... anybody home?

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/repo...ticle21859169/

As a side note, a "health-conscious" co-worker of mine grabbed some McDonald's for lunch. He was surprised to see his order (drink, fries, burger) was 100% paper products. No plastic packaging at all, including the drink.

If they can do it, anybody can.
The drink had no plastic lid or liner? McDonalds are not stupid, they fully understand the value of virtue signalling. The packaging has a virtually irrelevant impact on the climate, especially compared to what it contains, but if people are silly enough to believe it makes a difference, then that helps McDonalds sell their product.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2019, 8:47 PM

Quote:
The drink had no plastic lid or liner? McDonalds are not stupid, they fully understand the value of virtue signalling. The packaging has a virtually irrelevant impact on the climate, especially compared to what it contains, but if people are silly enough to believe it makes a difference, then that helps McDonalds sell their product.
Drink had a paper lid. I didn't inspect the cup too much.

Hey, keeps plastic out of the landfills, you can only imagine how much they go through every day. It's not all virtue signalling.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2019, 8:51 PM

It takes plastic out the landfill and puts paper in instead, and the paper used more energy (CO2) to produce. That's better?

Old Posted Oct 25, 2019, 8:58 PM

Quote:
It takes plastic out the landfill and puts paper in instead, and the paper used more energy (CO2) to produce. That's better?
Especially if the plastic is recyclable. The inside of that paper beverage cup is usually lined with unrecyclable plastic. no?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada