HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver

Old Posted Aug 22, 2009, 7:07 PM

The roof replacement is a lot of cost for not a lot of benefit. I would prefer a smaller stadium like the one Toronto FC plays in, and the budget deficit is a good reason to reconsider.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2009, 9:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fever View Post
The roof replacement is a lot of cost for not a lot of benefit. I would prefer a smaller stadium like the one Toronto FC plays in, and the budget deficit is a good reason to reconsider.
Well, the roof has to be replaced as it's nearing the end of its shelf-life. What it's replaced with is another matter altogether.

I agree that I'd prefer to see a stadium built for the Whitecaps that has seating for 25-30K spectators, that is open to the elements and has natural grass as its playing surface. Greg Kerfoot is willing to foot the bill himself. Maybe the recession will help this come to fruition.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2009, 11:29 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by breakingnews View Post
The announcement of the cancellation of the Retractable will be made on the Friday before the Labour Day long weekend.

The Government cannot justify this cost against a $ 3 billion deficit and spend that amount of money on a Roof when they're slashing social programs and cutting an equal amount of money from hospitals and seniors care.

They fired the asses of Tourism BC's Board of Directors.

Pavilion Corporation is next.

Friday Sept 4 is D Day. Mark my word
I could see that happening.... you never know what the govt is going to do.... but the LG tv were operational at yesterdays game... some need fixing but all is good

3/4th floor is still being worked heavily.... my bet is that most of the major work and stuff cleared out for U2 and then touch ups for the few weeks after that untill VANOC takesover...

still dunno about seat replacements..... any other questions?

Old Posted Aug 23, 2009, 12:05 AM

One of the Lions players lives in my building and was chatting up some girl in the elevator going on about how he's a "pro" football player (if you can call the CFL pro).

Bet he wishes he fell down that pit lastnight~

Old Posted Aug 23, 2009, 12:09 AM

yet they waste money on repaving Highway #1 between abbotsford and chilliwack when the pavement conditions are perfectly fine.

Side-issue, but honestly, you complain about a deficit. Think where money should go compared to this!

anyways, better this being shelved compared to the Evergreen Line & the SFPR (Gateway) program..

Old Posted Aug 23, 2009, 12:37 AM

Haven't we already discovered Obama isn't coming?

And thank God, they'd probably find a way to lock the entire city down and have just him inside BC Place with an applause track and recorded crowd video

Old Posted Aug 23, 2009, 12:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.x View Post
...or maybe now he has learned to tell realistic lies, lol.
He really is a BC Lion, but I thought pro was a stretch, considering they don't actually make any more money than a 7 Eleven manager.

I'd be more impressed if I found out a Canuck was here.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2009, 12:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yume-sama View Post
Haven't we already discovered Obama isn't coming?

And thank God, they'd probably find a way to lock the entire city down and have just him inside BC Place with an applause track and recorded crowd video
lol, well the USOC that has to invite him. The National Olympic Committee of each nation has to invite their own head of state to a foreign/domestic Games, VANOC nor any government is not permitted to do it.

If Chicago wins 2016 in a few weeks, I think there's a slight possibility of Obama showing up.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2009, 12:40 AM

Hmph, it better be Tokyo 2016.

I don't see how Chicago could economically pull it off, though the IOC might feel sorry for America.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2009, 12:42 AM

Is there any chance we'll get to throw a steak or two on the giant Olympic bbq pit?

Old Posted Aug 23, 2009, 12:48 AM

^ okay, with that post you've just confirmed to all of us that you made up the whole stadium canceling thing. Facts do not equate to opinions nor do they equate to assumptions nor do they equate to theories. Facts are from news releases, press conferences, etc. and to even stretch it people in the inside (and you certainly have zero reliability to know someone who is in the know, most people would probably want their distance from you since you are clearly insane).

There's fact, there's opinion, and then there's fiction. Learn how to differentiate these things, they aren't the same! It's scary how your brain works.

What international media outlet has talked about our new roof? You're the only one who really gives a bloody deal about it!!!

Old Posted Aug 23, 2009, 3:12 AM

I think you should look in the mirror when it comes to dishonesty.

Where are the mods? This guy shouldn't even be here.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2009, 3:22 AM

Ah, I should have guessed.. I've certainly seen your "exchanges" with him over at GamesBid in the past.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2009, 3:51 AM

Quote:
Mr. X had mentioned he was terminally ill
Seems like that's the only thing you can say when you're cornered, and rather low of you to be even using that here as a smokescreen. I had health issues last summer, but hey if you're gonna use it to your own advantage...you're pathologically sick.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2009, 4:17 AM

Quote:
Because the Government is being dishonest. They keep saying they will build a Retractable Roof after the Olympics so the international media will talk about it.

But behind closed doors, the plan is to tear down BC Place Stadium after the Olympics.

They just don't want the international media to get wind of this.

Look at Campbell's track record of being honest with the people.

Look no further than the HST. No mention of this before the election, now the HST tax gets shoved down our throats.

Lies lies lies and more lies.

Then they scrap Tourism BC and fire the Board of Directors when the Government has been promising to double tourism by 2015.

More lies.

Why do you figure the Government is so believable about its intentions with BC Place?

It doesn't cost the Government any money to take in bids. It costs the construction companies money to put together bids, but the Government doesn't give a rat's ass about that.

As long as they say the right things to the international media.

Requesting bids doesn't mean they'll go forward with it.

There's no money for a Retractable roof. Live with it.

The land around BC Place is losing value. Not much money coming from that direction.

They can't get a big name sponsor for the Stadium with the lousy BC Lions playing in there. No money from that.

The Dupont rumour is bull ****
Wow. Just. Wow.

When the NDP was in power in the 90s, they claimed in the heat of an election that they would have a budget surplus -- only for this 'surplus' to evaporate into a deficit when they were re-elected.

Meantime, most economists I have read actually believe the HST will be good for the province in the long run.

All governments "lie." Live with it. It's called "politics." So you have to decide whether the "lies" are worth turfing out this government at the next election and whether the "lies told by an NDP government will be better for BC (given the previous track record I'm doubtful).

What's with your obsession over the stadium? Is it a Freudian thing that I can't see...?

I believe it would be difficult to pull the plug on the roof at this stage. It would cause a lot of complications up and down the food chain.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2009, 4:21 AM

Quote:
you deserve that treatment if you come on here and accuse me of being pathologically sick and of being someone I'm not
Then who else would you be to know the going-ons of this forum over a year ago? No way in hell you've read up everything there is to know about Mr. X over the past 6 hours.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2009, 4:59 AM

Quote:
you deserve that treatment if you come on here and accuse me of being pathologically sick and of being someone I'm not
So you think people wouldn't even know that's you, towerguy? Most people here can spot you from just one post, it's quite astonishing that you'd even try to hide that...give it up. With every post and comeback you make, it's like another shovel in the dirt...you keep digging yourself a deeper hole. You have zero credibility.

I'm also not sure why you keep on coming back here every few months, only to be banned hours later.

You're the guy that seems to love the idea of the roof of BC Place caving in.

And as for using my previous illness as a smokescreen, that's just sick.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2009, 6:25 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hourglass View Post
Wow. Just. Wow.

When the NDP was in power in the 90s, they claimed in the heat of an election that they would have a budget surplus -- only for this 'surplus' to evaporate into a deficit when they were re-elected.

Meantime, most economists I have read actually believe the HST will be good for the province in the long run.

All governments "lie." Live with it. It's called "politics." So you have to decide whether the "lies" are worth turfing out this government at the next election and whether the "lies told by an NDP government will be better for BC (given the previous track record I'm doubtful).

What's with your obsession over the stadium? Is it a Freudian thing that I can't see...?

I believe it would be difficult to pull the plug on the roof at this stage. It would cause a lot of complications up and down the food chain.
If u look at the facts, the NDP have had more budget surpluses than the BC Liberals have/will... the economic growth rate was higher.... etc.... if u want to talk... politics section

but to answer ur point about pulling the plug.... no its not hard..... phase 2 (ie the roof) isnt scheduled to begin until after the Olympics......

Old Posted Aug 23, 2009, 6:30 AM

If we don't get a roof I'll be mad. I wanted to watch it from my balcony.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2009, 10:50 AM
Ferris Wheel Hater

User has been banned and posts deleted, the next person that quotes him from another forums will receive a suspension for baiting him back. I'm not kidding.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver