HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Mar 16, 2020, 9:57 PM
[sub]urbanite

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeFive View Post
I used your question to answer a somewhat different question. I'm more familiar with multifamily but vague on many details.

For example, what led LMC to make such a big commitment to the Golden Triangle? While I had a fair idea I went looking for more specifics. It wasn't that hard to find...
IMO, it's because they raised a giant equity fund and HAD to deploy those dollars to maintain returns. Also, secondarily, with land in limited supply (I know you don't agree) they were able to secure 5-7 years of activity in Denver downtown market with a single purchase - that solves a lot of issues as I know for a fact they've been hunting other parcels (and not winning). Having 1,000+ units of guaranteed pipeline is a good thing for a low leverage, cash flow company as LMC is. They can afford to build in cash and hold. Even with rates falling as they have (commercial multifamily is available at the moment under 3%) they might have so much of their fund un-deployed that they decide to build in cash rather than take on 50% leverage.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2020, 10:01 PM
[sub]urbanite

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanD View Post
We will probably slump into a small recession. Once this all blows over, we should hopefully recover nicely and continue where we left off, from a financial standpoint.
Once the shock settles down (another couple weeks) well capitalized borrowers will be off to the races! I don't think we're looking at anything close to another 2008 when liquidity became non-existent. There is still a plethora of liquidity. I suspect this will actually be a good thing because some liquidity will flow into real estate as a 'safe play'.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2020, 3:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by laniroj View Post
Once the shock settles down (another couple weeks) well capitalized borrowers will be off to the races! I don't think we're looking at anything close to another 2008 when liquidity became non-existent. There is still a plethora of liquidity. I suspect this will actually be a good thing because some liquidity will flow into real estate as a 'safe play'.
idk man, our economy is built on a LOT of corporate debt right now, and the fed just gave up all their leverage...it's a stack of cards I'd say.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2020, 9:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by laniroj View Post
Fantasyland

Old Posted Mar 17, 2020, 6:51 PM

This Country is an Embarrassment

Taiwan is currently being seen as the Gold Standard for dealing with coronavirus. They shut down all their schools end of January for one month. (Whether necessary) they required everybody to wear a mask. No hoarding as masks were distributed by pharmacies; every family received two masks per person per weak. After one month life was back to near normal. I guess they've imported some newer cases but they're managing things.

South Korea was caught off-guard but once they became aware they simply used the test kit recommended by the WHO and ramped up available test kits and the ability to process them by the millions.

If you're not familiar with the Seattle backstory, local health agencies wanted to test for coronavirus many weeks earlier but the FDA-CDC wouldn't approve them doing so. CDC instead wanted to create a better mousetrap which took time and then was a failure.

This country has utterly failed to create the number of test kits needed or the ability to process them. It goes well beyond test kits. There's too many rules and regs. "All hands on deck" means nothing if the right hand fights the left hand. This is why declaring a National Emergency was necessary to try and unplug the plumbing. They model for stuff like this but when it actually happened, our system went into a fetal position. Meanwhile Taiwan and South Korea trusted their own scientists and experts and took action.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenvertoLA View Post
idk man, our economy is built on a LOT of corporate debt right now, and the fed just gave up all their leverage...it's a stack of cards I'd say.
There is potential for some liquidity issues and stress on the financial system but nothing I see that the Fed (or Congress) can't handle.

Very difficult to project out since this nasty bug could become a part of life. But the pending recession is basically a self-induced demand side issue and I still believe much better than when there has been these huge supply bubbles of credit and housing.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2020, 6:43 PM
Never Dell

That sums it up well.

The lack of US action early on will be the subject of movies and books to come. So will inaction by many states, who should at least be filling the vacuum.

Even now, testing is nearly non-existent, even in Washington state which is cumulatively up to 13,000 tests. The real actions, like closing schools, are only in today's hotspots mandated by those states, not in the new locations that will likely exist in a week or two due to current inaction.

The federal government has started to take things semi-seriously, but waaay below other countries. And it seems to be 70% about the economy.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2020, 3:35 PM

Step by Step

https://milehighcre.com/breaking-new...litch-gardens/
Quote:
Plans for the massive redevelopment of Elitch Gardens Theme and Water Park took a major step forward today as JLL Capital Markets announced it has arranged $124.6 million in refinancing for the park on behalf of the borrower, a partnership of Kroenke Sports and Entertainment (KSE) and Revesco Properties.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rds70 View Post
12-story apartment building planned north of Empower Field:
While nothing particularly exciting about the Minneapolis-based The Opus Group rendering, consider that not many years ago one would have expected a 5-story as apposed to a 12-story project in this area.

https://milehighcre.com/1-65-acres-a...e-redeveloped/
Quote:
“Located between the Stadium Redevelopment and the River Mile development, which are adding upwards of 17 million square feet of future mixed-use development to the immediate area, 19th & Clay is well-positioned for the flourishing population growth,”

Old Posted Mar 20, 2020, 2:59 AM

If anyone has time to get a photo update downtown before a potential lock down that would be awesome. I'm typing in San Diego and we have been told to shelter in place... make use of your freedom! while keeping a distance !

Old Posted Mar 20, 2020, 8:56 PM
mmmm... infillicious!

Construction progress at 10th and Acoma:

https://denverinfill.com/2020/03/con...0th-acoma.html

DenverInfill Blog
DenverUrbanism

Old Posted Mar 20, 2020, 8:58 PM
mmmm... infillicious!

Reskin/rehab is underway at 15th & Curtis:

https://denverinfill.com/2020/03/930...on-begins.html

DenverInfill Blog
DenverUrbanism

Old Posted Mar 20, 2020, 9:03 PM
mmmm... infillicious!

New 16-story tower proposed for 13th and Cherokee:

https://denverinfill.com/2020/03/16-...-cherokee.html

DenverInfill Blog
DenverUrbanism

Old Posted Mar 21, 2020, 7:45 PM
[sub]urbanite

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldurhamer View Post
Fantasyland
Haha, do you work in, for, with capital markets? Or is that just your opinion? There’s a major push by large borrowers to secure long term money in the low 3’s. Not hotels though, they are completely screwed...tons of money available too, for now. That said, new construction money is tighter, I suspect any hotel proposal for Denver is likely delayed at this point unless the sponsor is rock solid with allow leverage and a massive balance sheet. Marriott said on Thursday their occupancy worldwide was at just 25%.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2020, 10:26 PM

Thanks DenverInfill!!!!!

The updates are a nice distraction from all that's going on....... Cheers to better days ahead

Old Posted Mar 22, 2020, 4:23 PM

I feel like we’re in that strange in-between period like we experienced in Summer 2008 when there was still a flurry of development proposals but very few of them actually broke ground. Then it was very quiet on this forum for almost 4 years before things heated up again in 2012. We did have Ralph Carr Justice Center, History Colorado Museum, Union Station infrastructure and other public works to keep us busy as private development dried up. This time around we’ll have Central 70, the National Western Center and DIA projects.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2020, 6:44 PM

As construction halts in major cities, Denver industry leaders hope to avoid similar fate
Mar 22, 2020 By James Rodriguez – Reporter, Denver Business Journal
Quote:
But threats of delays due to labor and material shortages remain, and industry leaders are closely monitoring to see if the types of executive orders that have halted construction in some other U.S. cities are possible here in Colorado.

To avoid such an outcome, industry representatives in the state are urging government leaders to deem construction an essential service that must continue within the state.
And the case for being an "essential service" is?
Quote:
Michael Gifford, CEO of the Association of General Contractors of Colorado, an industry trade group, said significant delays in construction could be particularly harmful in a metro such as Denver, where construction has already struggled to keep pace with the influx of new residents and projects designed to accommodate them.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2020, 5:02 PM

Denverinfill coming in hot this week, much appreciated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BG918 View Post
I feel like we’re in that strange in-between period like we experienced in Summer 2008 when there was still a flurry of development proposals but very few of them actually broke ground. Then it was very quiet on this forum for almost 4 years before things heated up again in 2012. We did have Ralph Carr Justice Center, History Colorado Museum, Union Station infrastructure and other public works to keep us busy as private development dried up. This time around we’ll have Central 70, the National Western Center and DIA projects.
Also seeing that all meetings of 10+ have been banned, now would be a great time to expand the convention center...

Old Posted Mar 23, 2020, 8:45 PM

Yes, Always
Quote:
Originally Posted by DenvertoLA View Post
Denverinfill coming in hot this week, much appreciated.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverInfill View Post
Construction progress at 10th and Acoma:
https://denverinfill.com/2020/03/con...0th-acoma.html

It's impressive how much progress they are making.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverInfill View Post
New 16-story tower proposed for 13th and Cherokee:
https://denverinfill.com/2020/03/16-...-cherokee.html
I happen to read where the developer of this project is Houston-based Xenia Development. It turns out they are one of those stealth developers we've all heard about... they fly under the radar.

I'm not gonna hold even a sliver of hope for this project so if somehow this pans out I'll break out the party balloons.

Ken also has a rendering by Davis Partnership for the previously mentioned Lennar project at 11th and Bannock .

Side note
Slack who's stock has struggled since moving to Denver and going public is now bouncing higher as a result of benefiting from coronavirus - little ray of sunshine.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2020, 9:00 PM

Looks like construction on Block 162 will stop under Denver's new Stay at Home order, which exempts residential and public infrastructure construction.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2020, 9:27 PM

Long time ago, I bought furniture at this place

Photo courtesy Thomas Gounley/BusinessDen

Plans call for apartment complex to replace 97-year-old South Broadway furniture store
March 23, 2020 By Thomas Gounley/BusinessDen
Quote:
EMW Carpets and Furniture has a buyer interested in something more than its sectionals.
That's what I bought, a sectional.
Quote:
The furniture store, which has operated at 2141 S. Broadway in Denver since 1923, would be replaced by an apartment complex if an early-stage development proposal submitted by Trammell Crow Residential comes to fruition.
I always love history.
Quote:
EMW Carpets and Furniture, which has been family-owned for 97 years, isn’t being caught blindsided. Property records show that EMW co-owner JC Helmstaedter owns the entire block, which in addition to the furniture store includes other commercial tenants and homes facing Acoma Street.
Urban interesting

Spire retail sells for $5.25 million
March 22, 2020 By Jennifer Hayes/CREJ
Quote:
The fully leased retail space at the base of a downtown Denver condominium tower sold for $5.25 million. The buyer, a private capital exchange buyer from California, purchased the 9,890-square-foot retail property at Spire at 891 14th St.

The space was sought after by investors as not only is there a lack of product – particularly in this size – but also because of its infill location, adjacent to the Colorado Convention Center and the Denver Center for Performing Arts.
Food for Controversial Thought

Scroll down to see the coronavirus map of U.S.

You'll notice that the 'sprawling' SW seems to be much less impacted by the Novel coronavirus
so is density a threat to one's health?

Old Posted Mar 23, 2020, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirLucasTheGreat View Post
Looks like construction on Block 162 will stop under Denver's new Stay at Home order, which exempts residential and public infrastructure construction.
Correct, all multifamily projects can continue.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West