HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Oct 24, 2016, 6:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Uhhh... sure. I guess.

I'm still not sure how this guy hasn't been banned, or at least suspended, yet. I blocked him months ago but I can still see his bizarre tangents in quoted posts. Obviously his posting habits have not improved.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2016, 6:07 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek View Post
I'm still not sure how this guy hasn't been banned, or at least suspended, yet. I blocked him months ago but I can still see his bizarre tangents in quoted posts. Obviously his posting habits have not improved.
Why Block Me? Its not like what I'm saying isn't true. Don't get me wrong Portland is a nice US City (I've been there b4 & infact its the US City I know the most Americans in/ from), but to say that its somehow better or "safer" statistically than Ottawa is absurd. You have to look @ the Per-Capita Rates of Crime over a much longer period of time. A 1 year statistical anomaly simply isn't going to do that.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2016, 6:15 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
Not really a great comparison considering blacks aren't native to Canada, France, and the U.K. like Indians are to India.

We have to ask ourselves....why does our native black population struggle while foreign immigrants thrive and prosper relatively speaking? I notice that violence among black citizens is higher in countries that had a significant slave past moreso than countries that did not...i.e. USA, Brazil, Jamaica...you get the point.

They are right though. Cities like Toronto, London, Paris all have pretty decent size black populations and murder rates in those cities are still all nearly at the 1.0/100k mark.
Exactly & Montréal deserves an Honorable mention as well! I'm glad that u care, my Uncle lives in ur City (Atlanta), I always did hear that Atlantan's & Black American's in that area (Or just everyone for that matter), tend to care more about Crime/ their neighborhoods than other US Communities. (Hence the lower Murder rates in places like Charlotte, Raleigh, Athens, etc.)
That's a start I personally don't know if u are Black or not, but I'm gonna assume the probability is fairly high that u are/ might be.
& No people should NOT hate on me for saying that I am happy that you guys care/ are beginning to care about the Crime/ Murder Rates in ur area. What is wrong with me saying that & wanting American's to improve? Nobody has the right to delete this comment I'm not knocking down ANY of you.
In a couple years (Say 10-15), once Ottawa's Black Community reaches a Certain Threshold (Like 100k or so), lets also revisit that issue/ topic.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2016, 6:24 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tosin007 View Post
Why Block Me? Its not like what I'm saying isn't true. Don't get me wrong Portland is a nice US City (I've been there b4 & infact its the US City I know the most Americans in/ from), but to say that its somehow better or "safer" statistically than Ottawa is absurd. You have to look @ the Per-Capita Rates of Crime over a much longer period of time. A 1 year statistical anomaly simply isn't going to do that.
I'd say that Ottawa and Portland are pretty comparable in terms of safety, at this point.

And Toronto may be on track to come in around 3 murders per 100,000 this year, so similar to NYC.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2016, 6:30 PM
BANNED

Quote:
I'd say that Ottawa and Portland are pretty comparable in terms of safety, at this point.

And Toronto may be on track to come in around 3 murders per 100,000 this year, so similar to NYC.
Ok fine they're comparable, I can accept that/ this. However show a little Canadian Pride though @ least right? Ottawa is still a more Diverse City, Offers more Amenities, has a larger Downtown, is closer to more interesting/ Major Cities, Montréal, Quebec City, Toronto, Boston, NYC etc. It has a richer History/ Architecture is is our "Capital City"! Their Black Percentages Inner City is fairly similar already but Ottawa has a larger Urban Population so it's gonna be pretty close to tied once the Percentages goes down in Portland Suburbs. The Only area Portland has Ottawa beat for the most part is Latino's Overwhelmingly (& this is typically an American Trend for Major Cities anyway's & lets give them a larger Japanese Community also). However Ottawa has vastly more South Asians, Arabs, Chinese People, Native Americans, Filipino's etc. (Portland still has those people too in its Metro Area's obviously just noticeably ALOT less). So I'd say Ottawa is still ahead of Portland, but its getting close the US should count its blessings for now & keep up the good work though!

PS. Toronto is still "safer" Statistically than NYC. (& its more diverse also), I've proven this time & time again. NYC's Murder Rates Per-Capita are much closer to 4 Per 100k
(& even if they wheren't adjusting for population Growth Toronto will clock in @ under 3 Per 100k trust me on this/ that). Next year the Numbers for the 2016 Canada Census will be made available & u will see that Inner City Toronto as of this year is much closer to 2.9 Million than it was a couple years ago. Once the numbers are adjusted for population growth u will see Toronto is nearly twice as safe as NYC. The only reason u think its high/ higher now is because the numbers for Toronto's Official Municipal Population has not yet been made available to you/ us. Your just rating the Per-Capita Murder Rates based on a Population Toronto had a couple of years back.
(& doing so u underestimate the size of the City).

Old Posted Oct 24, 2016, 6:44 PM

Quote:
You have some good points for sure, but it's not necessarily a good thing to not let Black's be responsible/ take responsibility for their lives wouldn't u say/ agree?
Infact I'd go as far as saying that giving them Welfare Benefits is actually an injustice against Blacks & their potential.
It's just vote buying & what it essentially does is allow the cycle of violence to continue.
Not all Blacks on welfare abuse it sure, but most have a propensity to do so. Before a Welfare State was enacted/ passed Black Homicide Rates in the US actually used to be FAR lower, check the stat's, the US Homicide Rate's peaked @ a point sure, but Pre-1950 US had Homicide Rate nationwide where comparable/ on par with Canada today. (No welfare state btw), & this is with Black's likely even making up much more of the US Population Per-Capita than they do today.
i agree with much of this sentiment. dig a bit deeper and I think you might find that the democrat party post LBJ, did more to destroy the black family structure within the last 60 years than 200 plus year of real deal, structural racism. the current welfare system is broken and needs to be reworked. providing some type of welfare is fine for the truly needy, but it needs some major revisions. the us tax code is pretty neutral when it comes to marriage but meaningful welfare benefits get the kibosh the moment a single mother gets hitched. it provides alot of disincentive to get married and thats how we got into the urban mess that we have. three generations of kids raised by single moms and the crime stats to back up the ill effects.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2016, 7:20 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Ok fine they're comparable, I can accept that/ this. However show a little Canadian Pride though @ least right? Ottawa is still a more Diverse City, Offers more Amenities, has a larger Downtown, is closer to more interesting/ Major Cities, Montréal, Quebec City, Toronto, Boston, NYC etc. It has a richer History/ Architecture is is our "Capital City"! Their Black Percentages Inner City is fairly similar already but Ottawa has a larger Urban Population so it's gonna be pretty close to tied once the Percentages goes down in Portland Suburbs. The Only area Portland has Ottawa beat for the most part is Latino's Overwhelmingly (& this is typically an American Trend for Major Cities anyway's & lets give them a larger Japanese Community also). However Ottawa has vastly more South Asians, Arabs, Chinese People, Native Americans, Filipino's etc. (Portland still has those people too in its Metro Area's obviously just noticeably ALOT less). So I'd say Ottawa is still ahead of Portland, but its getting close the US should count its blessings for now & keep up the good work though!

PS. Toronto is still "safer" Statistically than NYC. (& its more diverse also), I've proven this time & time again. NYC's Murder Rates Per-Capita are much closer to 4 Per 100k
(& even if they wheren't adjusting for population Growth Toronto will clock in @ under 3 Per 100k trust me on this/ that). Next year the Numbers for the 2016 Canada Census will be made available & u will see that Inner City Toronto as of this year is much closer to 2.9 Million than it was a couple years ago. Once the numbers are adjusted for population growth u will see Toronto is nearly twice as safe as NYC. The only reason u think its high/ higher now is because the numbers for Toronto's Official Municipal Population has not yet been made available to you/ us. Your just rating the Per-Capita Murder Rates based on a Population Toronto had a couple of years back.
(& doing so u underestimate the size of the City).
I honestly don't know why I keep trying...

Old Posted Oct 24, 2016, 7:28 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxtex View Post
i agree with much of this sentiment. dig a bit deeper and I think you might find that the democrat party post LBJ, did more to destroy the black family structure within the last 60 years than 200 plus year of real deal, structural racism. the current welfare system is broken and needs to be reworked. providing some type of welfare is fine for the truly needy, but it needs some major revisions. the us tax code is pretty neutral when it comes to marriage but meaningful welfare benefits get the kibosh the moment a single mother gets hitched. it provides alot of disincentive to get married and thats how we got into the urban mess that we have. three generations of kids raised by single moms and the crime stats to back up the ill effects.
Exactly! Well said, wow u Portlander's are ok, time for me to watch Portlandia! lol
Keep Portland Weird!!

Old Posted Oct 24, 2016, 7:31 PM
BANNED

Quote:
I honestly don't know why I keep trying...
Lol my goal is to make u/ others laugh! If it sounds like I'm hating on the US I'm not I'm just a really good comedian!

Old Posted Oct 24, 2016, 7:38 PM

Quote:
Exactly! Well said, wow u Portlander's are ok, time for me to watch Portlandia! lol
Keep Portland Weird!!
im a stranger in a strange land. conservative centrists are hunted for sport in portlandia. nice to meet you though.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2016, 10:28 PM

Quote:
I'm not fully convinced it's single mothers that's causing high murder rates because even among whites, the amount of OOW births has risen, of course, not as much as blacks, but it's still evident, yet murder rates among whites have dropped over the last century.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2016, 10:37 PM

^^^its a entire litany of things, out of wedlock births, endemic poverty, deindustrialization, lead (research lead and criminality, that's fascinating) and social programs that penalize the mother for getting married. some might argue the southern "culture of honor" is at play too. the democratic party prior to the 1960s didn't have the best race relations record. even LBJ, who many credit with passing an extraordinary amount of civil rights laws was arguably an outright racist. nobody has been able to prove his "200 years" quote but given his previous track record, its probably true. the great society was the democrats' attempt at assuaging their historic wrongs. so no. its not just single mothers, but at the heart of it, a child with two parents, its doesn't even matter what gender, is more likely to grow up to be a productive adult.

Last edited by pdxtex; Oct 24, 2016 at 10:50 PM.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2016, 10:46 PM

'Out of Wedlock' births doesn't really mean much I think, in Sweden something like >60% are to unmarried parents but most of those are to parents living together and raising their children together. I had two kids before I got married, got married later but I don't think it made any difference to the family environment....

Old Posted Oct 24, 2016, 11:20 PM

^^^also, Sweden.....bad comparison. id imaginethe state social net is more comprehensive than America's, at least that's the stereotype.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2016, 11:56 PM
Selfie-stick vendor

since young male gun crime is 20x higher for blacks than for whites on a per capita basis, according to fivethirtyeight, some other factor must be at play. also as crawford has set, the social safety net in places like DC, Chicago, and NYC is strong by European standards.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2016, 12:39 AM

SF is at 46 now. A man from Cleveland was killed in a murder-suicide in Oceanview, and another man was shot dead in his home in Glen Park.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo the Dog View Post
Been a violent October in SF. Any reason?
Some of it was due to a spate of retaliation shootings/killings stemming from gang warfare, but who knows about the rest? Chance, I guess. Ten or 20 years ago, this would have been a normal level of violence, but this kind of stuff has been less common in recent years.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2016, 1:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc_denizen View Post
since young male gun crime is 20x higher for blacks than for whites on a per capita basis, according to fivethirtyeight, some other factor must be at play. also as crawford has set, the social safety net in places like DC, Chicago, and NYC is strong by European standards.
don't over think it. its thug culture plain and simple. mean streets produce mean kids. nice streets produce nice kids. all the middle class black kids i knew in college from southfield were scared of detroit. their parents got out for a reason. my friend bill said "just because im black, doesn't mean i have a ticket to the ghetto". he was serious too, he was scared of detroit in 90s....here's an opinion piece from the new york times by orlando patterson, a black sociology prof from harvard.

white politicians won't touch this subject but somebody has too...

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/05/10/op...ties.html?_r=0

Old Posted Oct 25, 2016, 6:05 AM
BANNED

Quote:
im a stranger in a strange land. conservative centrists are hunted for sport in portlandia. nice to meet you though.
Likewise & you also .

Old Posted Oct 25, 2016, 1:45 PM

Youngstown Ohio (17)
Rate (26.0)
Population (65,184)

As of October 25

Old Posted Oct 26, 2016, 5:57 AM
cle/west village/shaolin

cleveland has 103 murders as of today.

it had 120 total for 2015.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions