HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jul 6, 2017, 4:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
I've heard whispers of McDonalds issuing an RFP for a new flagship location. Not sure if this means a second flagship, or a replacement for Rock n Roll.

Strictly speaking, they could sell the whole block of River North real estate they're sitting on, and open a new West Loop flagship somewhere that's close to their new headquarters. It'd maybe be a good fit for the old Coyne College site... or put it on one of the vacant lots along the Kennedy, with a 500' tall truckstop-style Golden Arches sign!
Isn't there ground floor retail space fronting Randolph at their new HQ? I can't imagine they wouldn't turn that into some kind of flagship...

Old Posted Jul 6, 2017, 5:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ithakas View Post
Isn't there ground floor retail space fronting Randolph at their new HQ? I can't imagine they wouldn't turn that into some kind of flagship...
I'm surprised they didn't do a flagship in the bottom of the hotel across from wrigley field.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2017, 5:25 PM

Quote:
I've heard whispers of McDonalds issuing an RFP for a new flagship location. Not sure if this means a second flagship, or a replacement for Rock n Roll.

Strictly speaking, they could sell the whole block of River North real estate they're sitting on, and open a new West Loop flagship somewhere that's close to their new headquarters. It'd maybe be a good fit for the old Coyne College site... or put it on one of the vacant lots along the Kennedy, with a 500' tall truckstop-style Golden Arches sign!
Seeing as how the Rock n Roll location is a franchise (as opposed to company-owned), it's probably a different location. And the fact that it's a franchise makes me not very hopeful for a change there, even (or especially) if McDonald's drops the 'flagship' designation and whatever material support that entails.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2017, 6:46 PM

Everyone should just start calling it "401 N Wabash"

Old Posted Jul 6, 2017, 7:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KWILLSKYLINE View Post
I'm surprised they didn't do a flagship in the bottom of the hotel across from wrigley field.
They aren't developing the hotel. The Ricketts paid $20 million for the property in 2011. Part of the deal is includes there being a McDonalds there as long as they want. I am sure it also laid out generally the size and location. The Ricketts definitely do not want a McDonalds hotel. They are going a different direction.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2017, 10:25 PM
1st Ward

Quote:
I'm thinking its going to be a separate site. The Rock N Roll McD's is franchisee owned, so if this is coming from McDonalds corporate, it would be a company owned store on a different site.

I wonder if their new HQ in the West Loop will have a McDonald's restaurant on the ground floor? Where else would their corporate employees eat for lunch otherwise? Umami Burger on Randolph? Grounds for instant dismissal, clearly.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2017, 10:28 PM

There is no way that McDonald's employees eat McDonald's for lunch every day.
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov

Old Posted Jul 6, 2017, 10:45 PM
1st Ward

Haha, probably not for every meal, but they actually do eat there quite frequently. One of my sister's best friends works at corporate in Oak Brook, and will be transitioning to the West Loop once the new HQ is complete. They eat for free at any company owned store (and possibly franchised locations also, but not 100% sure on that) in the US, whether they are on the clock or not.

My sister constantly brings me coupons given to her for free extra value meals good at any US location. Their food may suck, but free is a great price Their breakfast options aren't too shabby either.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2017, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10023 View Post
I do remember reading a factoid years ago that the world's busiest McD's was Hamburger U...

Old Posted Jul 6, 2017, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by left of center View Post
Haha, probably not for every meal, but they actually do eat there quite frequently. One of my sister's best friends works at corporate in Oak Brook, and will be transitioning to the West Loop once the new HQ is complete. They eat for free at any company owned store (and possibly franchised locations also, but not 100% sure on that) in the US, whether they are on the clock or not.

My sister constantly brings me coupons given to her for free extra value meals good at any US location. Their food may suck, but free is a great price Their breakfast options aren't too shabby either.
I've eaten at the Oakbrook HQ. The food isn't quite what you get at the average location from what I recall.
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov

Old Posted Jul 6, 2017, 11:30 PM
Show me the blueprints

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10023 View Post
Reminds me of the service rep on the phone to Progressive insurance that couldn't answer one of my questions and nonchalantly admittted they didn't have Progressive insurance. In my head i was like whaaaaaaat? It was a strange moment.

Trumpism is the road to ruin

Old Posted Jul 7, 2017, 1:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busy Bee View Post
Reminds me of the service rep on the phone to Progressive insurance that couldn't answer one of my questions and nonchalantly admittted they didn't have Progressive insurance. In my head i was like whaaaaaaat? It was a strange moment.
It's really not as uncommon as you might think. There are people who work for many banks who have 0 products of that bank who employs them.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2017, 1:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khantilever View Post
Seeing as how the Rock n Roll location is a franchise (as opposed to company-owned), it's probably a different location. And the fact that it's a franchise makes me not very hopeful for a change there, even (or especially) if McDonald's drops the 'flagship' designation and whatever material support that entails.
Actually this doesn't matter. What most corporations like McDonald's do is they franchise out the places but they actually own the real estate and land. They act as the landlord to the franchised store. This is how companies like McDonald's and Subway actually make a good amount of their overall money. Real Estate holdings are huge for them.

There was a McDonald's that was right near my office in Manhattan, franchise owned but right where Hudson Yards would be. You know what they did? Basically kicked the franchise out and sold the land for millions to the developer which will become something part of Hudson Yards soon enough.

https://qz.com/965779/mcdonalds-isnt...state-company/
http://blog.wallstreetsurvivor.com/2...nd-the-burger/

As McDonald's essentially acts as the landlord for the franchisee they could offer them a deal - perhaps help them build them a store elsewhere but can still kick them out. SO yes, actually McDonald's could totally decide to say "F you" to the Rock N Roll McDonalds even if it is franchised and sell the land or decide to build something else on it. They totally did that for the Hudson Yards location (34th and 10th) that is no longer - they knew how much the land was going for and capitalized on it. I guarantee you they've at least talked about this in corporate and have weighed the options. That land is worth a lot of money and may be getting to the point of it being worth it to sell rather than collect monthly rent.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2017, 2:03 AM
Plenary pleasures.

All of this McD's talk is making me hungry....for people to please stay ON TOPIC. It's a great discussion, but should really be moved to the Chicago Economic thread. Thank you in advance!

Old Posted Jul 7, 2017, 7:19 AM
Chicago

Alta Roosevelt - 801 S Financial

July 6, 2017

Old Posted Jul 7, 2017, 7:20 AM
Chicago

1140 S Wabash

July 6, 2017

Old Posted Jul 7, 2017, 7:21 AM
Chicago

3Eleven & 221 W Hubbard

July 6, 2017

Old Posted Jul 7, 2017, 7:21 AM
Chicago

1411 S Michigan

July 6, 2017

Old Posted Jul 7, 2017, 7:22 AM
Chicago

Homewood Hilton - 1101 S Wabash

July 6, 2017

Old Posted Jul 7, 2017, 2:15 PM

At this pace Homewood Hilton will rival medieval cathedrals for construction time.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations