HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Apr 26, 2023, 9:52 PM

Football canada Amar Doman and SFU alum have already raised 700 thousand in one day to try and bring back the Football program.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2023, 11:18 PM

Pledge day to save SFU football receiving 'tremendous' support, says alumni president
Players and alumni were blindsided when the university suddenly announced it was dropping varsity football
Karin Larsen CBC News April 25, 2023

Simon Fraser University football alumni are running a one-day pledge drive until midnight on Tuesday to rally support for the team that was eliminated by university officials three weeks ago.

SFU Football Alumni Society president Mark Bailey said the response was proof of how much momentum there is to keep the 57-year-old program alive.

"So far it's been tremendous," said Bailey. "The way that the pledging works is because we don't technically have the football program reinstated as of yet there's no money to be collected, so these are essentially commitments from individuals."

Players and alumni say they were blindsided on April 4 when the university announced it was cancelling football effective immediately, even though preparations were already underway for the 2023 season in the Lone Star State Conference of the NCAA. Senior athletics director Theresa Hanson told players the decision wasn't financially motivated.

B.C. Lions owner Amar Doman is leading the pledge drive, promising up to $500,000. He told CBC that SFU has acted "cowardly" and hasn't been forthcoming with stakeholders in its decision to drop football.

"To me, they wanted to kill it ... and I'm not the only one saying that," said Doman. "We were told it's not about funds so I don't want to spend too much time on that. They announced the season is going forward, then two weeks later they pull it, don't really apologize, and just say we're helping the athletes get on their way earlier."

Bailey said a meeting last week with SFU President Joy Johnson "felt positive" at the time. But his sense of the situation changed hours later, when the school issued what he considers an inaccurate press release that stated in part: "All parties agree there is no path forward for SFU to play varsity football in the NCAA. We will not be playing varsity football in the fall of this year."

"It seemed as if things were misconstrued and through their communication that we were aligned with their decision-making," said Bailey. "In my opinion you could call it a tactic from their stance ... It kind of threw off a lot of our student athletes as well as supporters."

CBC has requested an interview with Johnson. A university spokesman said "since court proceedings are now scheduled about this issue, we won't be doing interviews until after those proceedings are completed."

Two weeks ago the alumni society filed an injunction application in B.C. Supreme court on behalf of five scholarship players claiming the school is in breach of contract. If successful, the court could order SFU to revive the program.

In a 25-page response filed in B.C. Supreme Court, SFU claims the plaintiff's evidence "does not support the existence of the alleged contracts at all."

The injunction application hearing is scheduled for May 3.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2023, 12:43 AM

The curse is broken: Canada's Taylor makes history with RBC Canadian Open victory in playoff

https://www.tsn.ca/golf/canada-s-nic...yoff-1.1972062

Old Posted Jun 12, 2023, 12:50 AM

72 yard putt to win it just insane

Old Posted Jun 12, 2023, 1:17 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by thurmas View Post
Agreed. I was watching it alone in the family room and I roared out loud and clapped. A legendary putt!

Old Posted Jun 12, 2023, 1:38 AM

F'n phenomenal.

So used to seeing a Canadian occasionally lead a big tournament or major after Thursday or Friday and then fade away. Happened a couple of weeks ago at the PGA with Conners. Then seeing Taylor lead after Friday I thought it was going to happen again. And he did fade away, but not by a whole lot. Enough to stay in contention. A very pleasant surprise to see him pull it off.

I would have been watching if I wasn't on the road coming back from up north. I passed the PGA Training Center truck on the 403 in Mississauga around 5:30.

Brooke pulled it off at Women's Open in 2018 and Bianca did it for tennis a few years ago. Need to see FAA or Shapo or some newcomer pull it off for men's tennis.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2023, 1:39 AM

Unbelievable
And Abbotsford BC boy!

Old Posted Jun 12, 2023, 2:23 AM

Just heard about it now. Wow! Or as Mike Weir would say "Holy shit!" One pundit called it the most memorable finish to a PGA Tour event in modern history.

Video Link

Old Posted Jun 12, 2023, 2:43 AM

Quote:
72 feet, 72 yards would be like putting much of the length of a football field LOL

Old Posted Jun 12, 2023, 2:49 AM

It was kinda funny how Hadwin took the tackle for his buddy.

Nance sounded genuinely happy and surprised at the result and no doubt that putt will be on 2023 yearly roundups.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2023, 7:29 PM

Up there with Joe Carter's home run to win the World Series. Nick also jumps to No. 6 on the FedEx Cup leaderboard with the win. Love Nick's "mike drop" (putter).

Very neat different angle (and commentary) on the putt:

https://twitter.com/i/status/1668075646789070850

Adam Hadwin gets tackled by security while spraying champagne lol. (Adam’s ok ;-)

https://twitter.com/i/status/1668095133202432000

The reaction of the other Canuck pros including Mike Weir... as the drought finally ends.

https://twitter.com/i/status/1668053187176308736

Old Posted Jun 26, 2023, 8:09 AM

Was just looking at the Commonwealth Games page on Wikipedia. Did ya know that Montreal was scheduled to host in 1942 (cancelled). Also, it's been almost 30 years since we've hosted (Victoria 1994)

Australia will have hosted three times and England twice before the next possible chance of Canada. Good excuse for a nice 25-30k new stadium for Calgary.

Calgary, Edmonton to explore 2030 Commonwealth Games joint bid after Hamilton drops out

Old Posted Jun 26, 2023, 12:53 PM

It would be an absolute joke if Alberta hosted the Games and they did not use Commonwealth Stadium as the main stadium.

In other words, it's completely possible with this province's current government.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2023, 1:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elly63 View Post
Was just looking at the Commonwealth Games page on Wikipedia. Did ya know that Montreal was scheduled to host in 1942 (cancelled). Also, it's been almost 30 years since we've hosted (Victoria 1994)

Australia will have hosted three times and England twice before the next possible chance of Canada. Good excuse for a nice 25-30k new stadium for Calgary.

Calgary, Edmonton to explore 2030 Commonwealth Games joint bid after Hamilton drops out
That is really the stamps only chance for a stadium

Old Posted Jul 18, 2023, 1:03 AM
Community Guy

Sad to see this event go.
---

Lake Louise cut from world cup schedule

https://www.rmoutlook.com/local-spor...hedule-7281206

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Aug 3, 2023, 9:31 PM
Community Guy

Alberta is no longer pursuing the 2030 Commonwealth Games bid.

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Aug 3, 2023, 9:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx View Post
Alberta is no longer pursuing the 2030 Commonwealth Games bid.
Oof i think the Commonwealth Games might be on deaths door with a business model with near Olympic level costs and none of the revenue base that comes with that.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2023, 10:20 PM

When I think of how important the Commonwealth and PanAm games were when I was a kid and the anticipation they provided, it's a real shame.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2023, 10:32 PM
Ham-burgher

Quote:
Oof i think the Commonwealth Games might be on deaths door with a business model with near Olympic level costs and none of the revenue base that comes with that.
Yep, it's just not worth it. The Olympics may not last either for the same reasons... high costs, potential corruption, and do audiences care like they used to?

If a smaller-scale or cheaper set of events can be held, perhaps there's hope.

But with so many different "world championships" out there too (and I don't know if they face the same cost and revenue pressures) is there really a need for these large multi-sport quadrennial showcases?

Old Posted Aug 3, 2023, 10:41 PM

apparently Santiago Chile can do this years pan am games for cheap:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2023_Pan_American_Games

The budget for the games is $507 million USD, with $170 million reserved for the building of ten new sporting venues and the upgrade of six arenas.[5] The budget is about 36% of what was spent for the 2015 Pan American Games in Toronto, Canada and 50% of the last Pan American Games in 2019, in Lima, Peru.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada