HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Jan 11, 2024, 6:17 PM
recession proof

Believe it or not, I grew up eating Russian and Ukrainian food. My mother's neighbor was a Holodomor survivor who not only taught mom how to garden but also how to cook! All this talk of donuts has me craving pampushky, especially the savory kind, I can remember helping make them and how quickly I'd eat them.

And it was probably Russian Mennonites who brought this donut recipe to Ukraine.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2024, 9:29 PM
Great White Norf

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbandreamer View Post
Yeah, I remembered St Kitts because my first college girlfriend was half Polish half Ukrainian from Thorold. Iirc her parents worked in a GMC engine plant...
Yes, St. Kitts/St. Catharines (Kitty short for Catharine(s) ) was the main place were Poles settled in Niagara. Thorold is basically a southern extension of St. Kitts, which itself is merging East into a blob with Niagara Falls, and a pocket joining Welland in the South.

Every community has a sizable Ukrainian diaspora. My Dad's best friend was full Ukrainian and the family moved to Canada during the Stalin regime in 1950.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airboy View Post
Hell I have a St Kitts and Polish connection as well. And Shocking a GM engine plant connections. Lot of relatives still in the area. Parents met there. Family is Polish. And Had an Uncle that was an exec at the Engine plant, so we were able to tour the plant...

Going Back to St Kitts this summer and will be wondering around looking for family ghosts.
GM had two plants employing around 10,000 people at one time. Now only the newer powertrain facility exists on Glendale Ave, employing around 1,800 or so.
I had a neighbor and 2 friends whose fathers worked there.

Please spend time in Port Dalhousie and Lakeside Park and go to the beach and swim in Lake Ontario if it's a nice summer day. It can seem near perfect on a hot, sunny summer day.

Visit St. Joseph's bakery (deli/bakery) for your Polish/Eastern Euro food stuffs fix. If you want the taste of donuts like how Tim's was in the 1980s, visit Homestead Donuts.
St. Paul Street (the Main Street downtown) can be kinda sleepy during summer when the students from Brock University are not there, and there's no functions, events at the arena or performing arts centre, but there's some restaurants and pubs.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2024, 2:57 PM
recession proof

This morning coming out of Lifelabs, I realized I was facing a wall of donuts: Krispy Kreme
https://imgur.com/a/qJDy73h
I went inside and the owners, South Asian, told me they opened last February. Perhaps they're the ones opening more locations?

Then I noticed a few new spots on the strip
Maryusa's by Janchenko's looks like a nice Kyiv-style brunch spot/restaurant
https://imgur.com/a/XhxIlYf
But $10 for kasha w/ mushrooms & bacon (I made this dish last week, probably cost me $1.50 including turkey bacon)?!
https://imgur.com/a/AzEI96n
And further east, Meaty Eats, a high end butcher shop
https://imgur.com/a/040p0Aa
Sleepy little Bloor West Village is becoming more sophisticated eh

Last edited by urbandreamer; Jan 15, 2024 at 3:09 PM.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2024, 11:48 PM

Mobilesyrup.com reports:

Quote:
The Source stores across Canada to rebrand as ‘Best Buy Express’
More than half of The Source locations will be changed, while the remaining stores will be closed

Bradly Shankar
@bradshankar

Bell has signed a deal with Best Buy Canada to rebrand its The Source stores as ‘Best Buy Express’ locations.

Under the agreement, 165 of The Source’s stores will become Best Buy-branded in the second half of 2024. According to The Globe and Mail, The Source has around 300 locations across Canada, and those not included in this agreement will be closed.

The new Best Buy Express stores will sell general consumer electronics as well as Bell’s telecom services, including those from its Virgin Plus and Lucky Mobile brands. Per the arrangement, Bell will handle store operations and staffing, although employees will receive training from both companies. The Globe and Mail notes that a Bell spokesperson wouldn’t confirm an exact breakdown of the ownership structure of Best Buy Express between the two companies.

The Source began business in Canada way back in 1986 as the Canadian wing of U.S.-based RadioShack. However, it was rebranded as The Source by Circuit City in 2005 after RadioShack won an injunction that stopped the company from using that name. A few years later, the “by Circuit City” branding was dropped after parent company InterTAN filed for bankruptcy.

In 2009, Bell acquired The Source for an undisclosed sum, at which time the retailer had around 750 stores.

Throughout that time, Best Buy operated both its own stores and, following a 2001 acquisition, Future Shop locations. While Best Buy shuttered all of the Future Shop stores in 2015, it has continued to operate big-box Best Buy locations, as well as smaller Best Buy Mobile locations.

With the Bell partnership, Best Buy says it wants to leverage The Source locations to increase its presence in malls and small- to mid-sized communities.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2024, 12:26 AM

We only have 3 Sources in London, one is in a mall with a Best Buy Mobile, with a full Best Buy across the road. Another is in a mall across from a full Best Buy. The other is well away from a Best Buy in a strip plaza. I'm assuming 1 of them goes away. Will be interesting to see which, if any, close.

Hopefully this is only a licensing thing and not an ownership stake by Best Buy. That chain seems to kill companies that are involved with it.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2024, 12:46 AM

I always forget that the Source is an option or alternative to Best Buy. I don't think we have that many here.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2024, 1:11 AM

Vera's Burger Shack expanding to Alberta with three new stores
New franchised restaurants in Calgary bring chain's number of locations to 13
By Glen Korstrom | January 18, 2024

The Vancouver-based, 10-location Vera's Burger Shack has hatched a partnership with an investor who wants to own and operate three franchised locations in Calgary.

If all goes well, that operator may be sold rights to own the Calgary market, Vera's Burger Shack CEO Gerald Tritt told BIV this afternoon.

"We're going to walk before we can run," he said of the decision to not yet provide exclusive rights to the entire city of Calgary to the new partner.

Tritt said his company is also negotiating with potential franchisees in northern Alberta, and in Saskatchewan.

https://biv.com/article/2024/01/vera...ree-new-stores

Old Posted Jan 20, 2024, 9:37 PM

The burger market is more crowded now than when Vera's dominated Vancouver's local scene a couple decades ago. It's still good and not dead, but I don't find it as popular as years past when there was far less competition IMO. Opening only 3 locations is a very rational move, they aren't trying a massive expansion that would be more likely to fail and hurt their BC operations as a result.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2024, 9:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djeffery View Post
We only have 3 Sources in London, one is in a mall with a Best Buy Mobile, with a full Best Buy across the road. Another is in a mall across from a full Best Buy. The other is well away from a Best Buy in a strip plaza. I'm assuming 1 of them goes away. Will be interesting to see which, if any, close.

Hopefully this is only a licensing thing and not an ownership stake by Best Buy. That chain seems to kill companies that are involved with it.
In Timmins we have a Best Buy store across from our main mall which has a The Source store as well as a Bell/NorthernTel store. With this news there's a guarantee that at least one of those stores will close and possibly two.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2024, 12:06 AM

After his “success “ taking Westjet private, Gerry Schwartz has offered to do the same for wife Heather Reisman’s Indigo:

https://www.bnnbloomberg.ca/indigo-r...artz-1.2029754

Old Posted Feb 2, 2024, 12:39 AM

Closure of Urban Outfitters in London, Ont. is sign of changing demographics and spending habits

Reta Ismail
Multi-Skilled Journalist
Follow | Contact
Published Jan. 30, 2024

The big bright Urban Outfitters store sign that has been a staple in downtown London, Ont. for over a decade has been removed.

What was once a showroom filled with trendy clothing is now nothing but an empty space.

"It was an empty space when it converted from a blockbuster to the Urban Outfitters that it is now, or that it was, so this is just another change as we've been saying," said downtown Coun. David Ferreira.

The brick and mortar lifestyle clothing store at the main entry point to the north side of downtown shut down last week.

The Downtown London BIA said they are disappointed to see the key anchor leave the core, but this is another sign of changing consumer patterns.

"We're just seeing changing demographics, changing spending habits, and I think that's playing out in our downtown and the type of business mix that we're attracting," explained Barbara Maly, Downtown London executive director.

https://london.ctvnews.ca/closure-of...bits-1.6748830

Old Posted Feb 2, 2024, 12:44 AM
菠蘿油

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post
"It was an empty space when it converted from a blockbuster to the Urban Outfitters that it is now, or that it was, so this is just another change as we've been saying," said downtown Coun. David Ferreira.
Does CTV employ copyeditors? I notice a lot of local CTV copy that is full of errors. This is pretty minor (Blockbuster should be capitalized) but sometimes it's egregious, like misreporting the neighbourhood where something happened.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2024, 1:11 AM
recession proof

One trend I haven't seen outside of Toronto: mini chains of clay/pottery studios. Could be a great way to meet people. I've also noticed some large art classes/storefronts, eg near Dundas & Keele, which has nights themed towards different ethnic groups, kind of sad.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2024, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbandreamer View Post
One trend I haven't seen outside of Toronto: mini chains of clay/pottery studios. Could be a great way to meet people. I've also noticed some large art classes/storefronts, eg near Dundas & Keele, which has nights themed towards different ethnic groups, kind of sad.
Funny you should mention the pottery thing, there is a new CBC competition show for pottery:

THE GREAT CANADIAN POTTERY THROW DOWN (Premieres Winter 2024; 8x60; Frantic Films) Ten of Canada’s most talented potters compete to be crowned best at the wheel. THE GREAT CANADIAN POTTERY THROW DOWN is a naturally upbeat, open-hearted competition series that revels in the remarkable creativity of Canada’s top potters, featuring clever challenges, beautiful creations and personal stories between layers of humour and discovery. The Great Pottery Throw Down is an original British format created and owned by Love Productions, who also devised and produce the global smash-hit The Great British Baking Show. Five seasons of The Great Pottery Throw Down have aired in the UK on BBC and Channel 4, consistently performing above the timeslot average.

I never knew about the British series, but if it's been on for five seasons already it must be decently popular. Will be interesting to see if it catches on. People do like competition shows, and the baking series is really good. Just don't think people are as interested in pottery (especially watching it) as they are with food... But it is nice to see a program on CBC filmed outside Toronto, the last several years have been very Toronto-centric in terms of new shows. I am shocked that Vancouver is the setting for TWO new series (Allegiance and Wild Cards, the latter of which is coproduced by the CW and airing in the States at the same time, which surprised me).

Old Posted Feb 3, 2024, 10:51 PM
The New Republic

I watch The Great Pottery Throw Down all the time. Besides the refreshing and unique subject matter what's nice is the atmosphere in the workshop. A lot of those cooking shows seem to have hyper aggressive contestants who like to talk smack and/or a production style meant to create hype/tension. Instead, there's a strong sense of comraderie with the potters and they concentrate on the process rather than some obnoxious count down clock. It's a refreshing change and relaxing.

In Canada, it's broadcast on a channel called Makeful. There's a similar show called Good With Wood, one called the Great British Sewing Bee (they're amateur home sewers), and one about making miniature models. None of the contestants on these shows seem to be aggressive social climbers desperate for fame and fortune. They're just regular people who have a passion for their hobby. Again, it's refreshing and relaxing. The best show, imo, on that channel is The Repair Shop. People bring in damaged family air looms and a team of very skilled (and pleasant) tradespeople restore the item.

There's also a glass blowing show on Makeful called Best in Blow (filmed in Hamilton).

Last edited by isaidso; Feb 3, 2024 at 11:10 PM.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2024, 11:15 PM

Metro Vancouver retail tenants ‘hard-pressed’ to find space

Some Metro Vancouver consumers might be pinching their pennies but this hasn’t weakened the region’s retail real estate market.

Average vacancy in high traffic areas such as Robson Street, Yaletown and Kitsilano remained unchanged at 3.9 per cent when compared to June 2023, according to a Jan. 24 report from Colliers Canada.

Across the Metro Vancouver region, average vacancy decreased from 1.5 per cent to 0.7 per cent since last summer, leaving hopeful tenants “hard pressed to find suitable options.”

“Retailers have shown a resilient front as evidenced by an overall decrease in retail vacancy rates. Demand for retail space remains strong with marginal changes in vacancies and will likely remain strong in the coming year,” said the report.

While this is about Vancouver, I think many Canadian cities are the same. The article stood out to me because so often we hear of retail death, downtowns emptying out, crime and disorder increasing. So the takeaway we assume is that retail is dead. But actually going downtown and just exploring, you see this is totally false. Many areas are very lively, and storefronts full. And malls are much fuller in Canada I think, especially compared to the States. The suburban mall death in America has been happening for quite some time, and pre-Covid it was already heading down. But pre-Covid, downtowns in places like New York and San Fran were doing good, the suburban mall pain wasn't afflicting the urban cores. Flash forward to today, and the urban centres are now the big losers. San Fran especially, it is truly sad to see the decline. It's so rampant now, it's just day after day stores are closing and it's like Detroit or something. People will debate the main culprit, depending on personal views. Some will blame homelessness/drugs/crime as the main factor, while others blame the steep drop-off in office workers, creating empty offices, no patrons for restaurant lunches, errands, all the things that are supposed to make a downtown pulse. It is a combination of both, hand in hand, chicken and the egg. Americans had basically accepted the suburban mall death, but the downtowns are dying now too. It's a weird situation to be in when both suburban and urban are suffering, means a real pullback in demand. I guess the stats showing many big cities shrinking is consistent with the downtown declines, but this is insane. If you google San Francisco store closures, you will see how bad it is. Coffee shops, clothing, grocery, drug stores, everything closing. Here's a link from June, since then this has gone way up:

https://images.app.goo.gl/AVSNHdLKBvWVLGyXA

People also blame the city council, police, basically the entire system. But it's business at the end of the day, so the combination of crime, theft, no office workers, and no one coming into downtown has created this. And it will be very hard to come back from when it is at this scale, we're talking Whole Foods, a Hilton Hotel, Nordstrom, Saks, a movie theatre, all the smaller stores like Lululemon, Williams Sonoma, Crate and Barrel, H&M. The Whole Foods closed after just ONE year, one. Imagine building out an entire store like that just to close in 12 months. Whole Foods isn't like a small mom and pop outfit, those places come and go all the time. But big chains don't, they normally stay in new stores for a long long time.

My long drawn out point is, we really should be considering ourselves very lucky in Canada to not suffer the same fate as cities like San Fran. But it is absolutely not a reason to be happy and complacent, it should be watched very closely by politicians all over as what can happen when things spiral. It's a slippery slope from doing OK to nosediving, so people need to be aware of the factors that could lead to an SF situation here in our cities.
Don't forget, the poster child for decline was always Detroit. Poor, down on their luck, rusty Detroit. Just like dozens of midwest cities "rust belt", it was bleak news of closures, population flight, crime, abandoned properties. But these cities were never glitz, rich, or cutting edge, they were always pretty working class. So when they declined, it was very sad for the people there, but people on the coasts or in booming states like Colorado or Texas didn't really relate. Now all of a sudden it is San Francisco; rich, inventive, expensive, in high demand San Francisco. Where average incomes are sky high, the GDP per capita is sky high, tourists flock and stores appeal to wealth. Yes it's always had seedy dark corners and sketchy neighbourhoods, but it existed in its own space, and downtown was bustling. Cities like San Fran are not supposed to experience what Detroit has, it would have been unfathomable only a few years ago. I truly hope it turns around and they get back on track, it's a great place still overall, too good to be dragged into becoming a ghost town...

Old Posted Feb 3, 2024, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
I watch The Great Pottery Throw Down all the time. Besides the refreshing and unique subject matter what's nice is the atmosphere in the workshop. A lot of those cooking shows seem to have hyper aggressive contestants who like to talk smack and/or a production style meant to create hype/tension. Instead, there's a strong sense of comraderie with the potters and they concentrate on the process rather than some obnoxious count down clock. It's a refreshing change and relaxing.

In Canada, it's broadcast on a channel called Makeful. There's a similar show called Good With Wood, one called the Great British Sewing Bee (they're amateur home sewers), and one about making miniature models. None of the contestants on these shows seem to be aggressive social climbers desperate for fame and fortune. They're just regular people who have a passion for their hobby. Again, it's refreshing and relaxing. The best show, imo, on that channel is The Repair Shop. People bring in damaged family air looms and a team of very skilled (and pleasant) tradespeople restore the item.

There's also a glass blowing show on Makeful called Best in Blow (filmed in Hamilton).
Interesting, yes I could actually see all of that being the case for the pottery show, definitely wouldn't have the erratic chaos and overly produced segments like the baking show does. I still love my cooking competition shows though, but there's clearly enough demand for all of these shows, they aren't mutually exclusive. I have seen a bit of it, but on CBC, not wakeful

Old Posted Feb 5, 2024, 5:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zahav View Post
Metro Vancouver retail tenants ‘hard-pressed’ to find space

Some Metro Vancouver consumers might be pinching their pennies but this hasn’t weakened the region’s retail real estate market.

Average vacancy in high traffic areas such as Robson Street, Yaletown and Kitsilano remained unchanged at 3.9 per cent when compared to June 2023, according to a Jan. 24 report from Colliers Canada.

Across the Metro Vancouver region, average vacancy decreased from 1.5 per cent to 0.7 per cent since last summer, leaving hopeful tenants “hard pressed to find suitable options.”

“Retailers have shown a resilient front as evidenced by an overall decrease in retail vacancy rates. Demand for retail space remains strong with marginal changes in vacancies and will likely remain strong in the coming year,” said the report.

While this is about Vancouver, I think many Canadian cities are the same. The article stood out to me because so often we hear of retail death, downtowns emptying out, crime and disorder increasing. So the takeaway we assume is that retail is dead. But actually going downtown and just exploring, you see this is totally false. Many areas are very lively, and storefronts full. And malls are much fuller in Canada I think, especially compared to the States. The suburban mall death in America has been happening for quite some time, and pre-Covid it was already heading down. But pre-Covid, downtowns in places like New York and San Fran were doing good, the suburban mall pain wasn't afflicting the urban cores. Flash forward to today, and the urban centres are now the big losers. San Fran especially, it is truly sad to see the decline. It's so rampant now, it's just day after day stores are closing and it's like Detroit or something. People will debate the main culprit, depending on personal views. Some will blame homelessness/drugs/crime as the main factor, while others blame the steep drop-off in office workers, creating empty offices, no patrons for restaurant lunches, errands, all the things that are supposed to make a downtown pulse. It is a combination of both, hand in hand, chicken and the egg. Americans had basically accepted the suburban mall death, but the downtowns are dying now too. It's a weird situation to be in when both suburban and urban are suffering, means a real pullback in demand. I guess the stats showing many big cities shrinking is consistent with the downtown declines, but this is insane. If you google San Francisco store closures, you will see how bad it is. Coffee shops, clothing, grocery, drug stores, everything closing. Here's a link from June, since then this has gone way up:

https://images.app.goo.gl/AVSNHdLKBvWVLGyXA

People also blame the city council, police, basically the entire system. But it's business at the end of the day, so the combination of crime, theft, no office workers, and no one coming into downtown has created this. And it will be very hard to come back from when it is at this scale, we're talking Whole Foods, a Hilton Hotel, Nordstrom, Saks, a movie theatre, all the smaller stores like Lululemon, Williams Sonoma, Crate and Barrel, H&M. The Whole Foods closed after just ONE year, one. Imagine building out an entire store like that just to close in 12 months. Whole Foods isn't like a small mom and pop outfit, those places come and go all the time. But big chains don't, they normally stay in new stores for a long long time.

My long drawn out point is, we really should be considering ourselves very lucky in Canada to not suffer the same fate as cities like San Fran. But it is absolutely not a reason to be happy and complacent, it should be watched very closely by politicians all over as what can happen when things spiral. It's a slippery slope from doing OK to nosediving, so people need to be aware of the factors that could lead to an SF situation here in our cities.
Don't forget, the poster child for decline was always Detroit. Poor, down on their luck, rusty Detroit. Just like dozens of midwest cities "rust belt", it was bleak news of closures, population flight, crime, abandoned properties. But these cities were never glitz, rich, or cutting edge, they were always pretty working class. So when they declined, it was very sad for the people there, but people on the coasts or in booming states like Colorado or Texas didn't really relate. Now all of a sudden it is San Francisco; rich, inventive, expensive, in high demand San Francisco. Where average incomes are sky high, the GDP per capita is sky high, tourists flock and stores appeal to wealth. Yes it's always had seedy dark corners and sketchy neighbourhoods, but it existed in its own space, and downtown was bustling. Cities like San Fran are not supposed to experience what Detroit has, it would have been unfathomable only a few years ago. I truly hope it turns around and they get back on track, it's a great place still overall, too good to be dragged into becoming a ghost town...
Downtowns like Vancouver are doing well, but it's not like that across Canada.

In London, for example, the downtown retail vacancy rate is 18% and the office vacancy rate is 29% - the second highest in Canada, only behind Calgary at 30%. Though Calgary's retail vacancy rate is only 6%.

I was in downtown London a couple times last summer, on a weekday. It was completely dead - almost no people around, and the few people I saw were homeless. No lineups whatsoever at restaurants. And abandoned storefronts everywhere. I thought it was dead back in 2005 when I was attending Western, but it's far worse now than it was 18-19 years ago.

Even if downtowns like San Francisco are struggling, they still get a fair amount of tourists and they attract events like last year's APEC conference. A city the size of London isn't going to be hosting a large international conference like that and it's never been a major tourist destination.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2024, 7:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post
Vera's Burger Shack expanding to Alberta with three new stores
New franchised restaurants in Calgary bring chain's number of locations to 13
By Glen Korstrom | January 18, 2024

The Vancouver-based, 10-location Vera's Burger Shack has hatched a partnership with an investor who wants to own and operate three franchised locations in Calgary.

If all goes well, that operator may be sold rights to own the Calgary market, Vera's Burger Shack CEO Gerald Tritt told BIV this afternoon.

"We're going to walk before we can run," he said of the decision to not yet provide exclusive rights to the entire city of Calgary to the new partner.

Tritt said his company is also negotiating with potential franchisees in northern Alberta, and in Saskatchewan.

https://biv.com/article/2024/01/vera...ree-new-stores
God that photo really makes the Davie Street location look grubby.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2024, 11:44 PM
The New Republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by zahav View Post
Interesting, yes I could actually see all of that being the case for the pottery show, definitely wouldn't have the erratic chaos and overly produced segments like the baking show does. I still love my cooking competition shows though, but there's clearly enough demand for all of these shows, they aren't mutually exclusive. I have seen a bit of it, but on CBC, not wakeful
Somewhat of a surprise to me, those Makeful shows have become the few shows I actually tune into regularly. They're a peek into crafts I had no previous knowledge of. Thanks for the heads-up about the Canadian version. I'll keep an eye out for it.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada