HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton

Old Posted Jan 13, 2023, 3:47 PM
It's Hammer Time

It would be nice if they saved and incorporated the two large greek columns into the new design.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2023, 7:30 PM
Hamilton Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelTown View Post
It would be nice if they saved and incorporated the two large greek columns into the new design.
Indeed, there are very very few places where columns, namely ionic columns exist anymore in the city.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2023, 7:33 PM
Hamilton Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHonestMaple View Post
I would like to see them save certain aspects of the church, but I hope that this doesn't significantly delay or even outright cause the project to be cancelled. We've seen it before, like you said with Tivoli.

I want to save heritage buildings, but this city needs those condo towers and the people and economic activity they would bring FAR more than it needs that old church. And I agree, it is pretty ugly and would need some serious work.

The city needs to prioritize revitalizing this area.... moving the men's shelter and filling in these lots. Driving east down york is one of the most depressing drives you can make in this city and there's no reason for it.
At this point I don't know it we NEED the condos - there are PLENTY being proposed and built at this point - one less won't hurt. I mean, look at how many are going to be built just across the street from this.

What we NEED are businesses and amenities.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2023, 8:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronamut View Post
At this point I don't know it we NEED the condos - there are PLENTY being proposed and built at this point - one less won't hurt. I mean, look at how many are going to be built just across the street from this.

What we NEED are businesses and amenities.
Chicken and Egg. I would love to see a glut of compllteted condos or rentals , keeping prices in check , letting folks move on from less desirable abodes (encouge those to be updated), and drive demand for services / ammenities

Old Posted Jan 13, 2023, 8:32 PM

Who's the developer behind this?

Old Posted Jan 13, 2023, 8:44 PM
Hamilton Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by King&James View Post
Chicken and Egg. I would love to see a glut of compllteted condos or rentals , keeping prices in check , letting folks move on from less desirable abodes (encouge those to be updated), and drive demand for services / ammenities
if you think ANY of these are gonna be affordable right in the downtown core.. I've already seen 1 bedrooms going for like 3000 a month downtown

People aren't gonna be moving in from less desirable abodes, if they live in less desirable abodes that's usually because that's all they can afford..

it's all well and good to state we need more condos downtown - but let's face it, only rich people are going to be able to afford them. Which is fine but we have to keep that in mind.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2023, 9:03 PM

We do need more condos and rentals especially. Hamilton needs to build 5000 new units every year for the next 10 to keep up with demand.

Follow me on Twitter: https://x.com/ham_bicycleguy?t=T_fx3...SIZNGfD4A&s=09

Old Posted Jan 13, 2023, 9:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronamut View Post
but let's face it, only rich people are going to be able to afford them. Which is fine but we have to keep that in mind.
That's a feature not a bug

Rich people spend money on services, restaurants and stores. The exact reason why all those low income rental towers in Durand don't really contribute much to the local shops. The people living there don't spend much money.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2023, 11:00 PM

Quote:
That's a feature not a bug

Rich people spend money on services, restaurants and stores. The exact reason why all those low income rental towers in Durand don't really contribute much to the local shops. The people living there don't spend much money.
What are you talking about? Those people living in rental apts in Durand are people who go to restaurants and buy clothes and enjoy life. They are actual people and I know lots of them. You’re weird dude.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2023, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crapht View Post
What are you talking about? Those people living in rental apts in Durand are people who go to restaurants and buy clothes and enjoy life. They are actual people and I know lots of them. You’re weird dude.
Didn't mean to put down your friends in Durand. It's just that Ward 2, and specifically that area has some of the lowest disposable income in the entire city.

https://open.hamilton.ca/datasets/d2...6e8bbb/explore

I would expect higher end condo builds in that area and around Copps to boost those numbers, and provide a source of customers and clients for the growing list of businesses in the area.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2023, 11:54 PM
Burger Connoisseur

Wait I thought all these properties on the North side were planned to be part of a new proposed entertainment district..... so where is the entertainment? All I see is a cookie cutter condo development. I expected condos on that side but I assumed the podiums would include shopping, restaurants, live theatre, micro brewery, gambling hall or a Dave & Busters or Rec Room.... something entertaining.

Also I thought the height cap was scrapped so why are we still getting 30 floor proposals anything in this area should be shooting for the sky!

Old Posted Jan 14, 2023, 12:11 AM
Ham-burgher

Quote:
Originally Posted by StEC View Post
Wait I thought all these properties on the North side were planned to be part of a new proposed entertainment district..... so where is the entertainment? All I see is a cookie cutter condo development. I expected condos on that side but I assumed the podiums would include shopping, restaurants, live theatre, micro brewery, gambling hall or a Dave & Busters or Rec Room.... something entertaining.
The arena and concert hall are the entertainment.

Maybe something else will be added. But in a condo build? Doubt it.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2023, 1:36 PM

So is the Salvation Army going away beside this?

Old Posted Jan 14, 2023, 2:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylbot View Post
So is the Salvation Army going away beside this?
There's no official plan for that. The Hamilton Urban Precinct Entertainment Group (HUPEG) has stated that they would like to work with the Salvation Army to find a new location, but there has been no official discussion between the two. However, the SA has stated that they are not completely opposed to the idea and would be willing to discuss.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2023, 3:15 PM

Quote:
There's no official plan for that. The Hamilton Urban Precinct Entertainment Group (HUPEG) has stated that they would like to work with the Salvation Army to find a new location, but there has been no official discussion between the two. However, the SA has stated that they are not completely opposed to the idea and would be willing to discuss.
Can’t say it would be the first place I’d look to buy a condo unless I knew that were leaving.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2023, 6:19 PM
Hamilton Historian

Quote:
I get the feeling they wanna relocate them so they can demolish that building and build more condos..

Can't see anyone objecting to it either - however I don't think they can be FORCED to leave in this instance.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2023, 7:58 PM

Yeah I think that's the idea, build a condo on that site.

I actually think the arrangement could work well for the Salvation Army. They could probably get a more modern brand new facility partly paid for by the The Hamilton Urban Precinct Entertainment Group somewhere just outside the core.

And I think there would be some potential there to keep the existing facade and build condos on top. An argument could be made that it is 'historical'.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2023, 8:11 PM
Ham-burgher

They'll move. But will stay in the central city. Will probably move east. Ward 3 maybe.

Because that's where the problem is! The importing of social issues to the central areas of our cities is one of the sad stories of our time.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2023, 8:41 PM
Hamilton Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScreamingViking View Post
They'll move. But will stay in the central city. Will probably move east. Ward 3 maybe.

Because that's where the problem is! The importing of social issues to the central areas of our cities is one of the sad stories of our time.
Couldn't agree more.

At least the plague of scooters was eliminated because I think the govt stopped funding them..

things HAVE gotten better though - 10-15 years ago noone would have though of king william as anything but a derelict strip

Old Posted Oct 1, 2023, 2:13 PM

has there been any update on this? Haven't heard much since the winter.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton