HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta

Old Posted Sep 4, 2023, 6:43 PM

Chapter at Midtown renderings (685 11th street)

https://theljc.com/projects/chapter-at-midtown
Quote:
Located near the Georgia Tech campus, the Chapter at Midtown is a 340-unit student housing and retail development that represents one of the last major pieces of expansion in the booming West Midtown district of Atlanta.

Representing a collaboration of landscape, architectural and interior design disciplines, the LJC team’s goal is to cultivate indoor-outdoor connections, provide a programmatic bridge between existing properties to the east and west, and create a unique experience for future residents.

Chapter at Midtown is significant because West Midtown was historically an industrial neighborhood that has seen significant commercial, hospitality, and residential developments in recent years. Located adjacent to Star Metals and The Interlock, the primary challenge lies in the site’s shape and topography. The project addresses these challenges by introducing a pocket plaza, offering street-level retail and terraced outdoor areas with a range of public and semi-private areas.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2023, 6:54 PM

Science Square

Last edited by mayhem; Sep 12, 2023 at 5:41 PM.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2023, 11:10 PM

OFW and West Midtown getting all the good architecture.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2023, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourner_Terminus View Post
Indeed. What a beauty.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2023, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Cheaper land, much higher rents, developers that value design.

"Atlanta - it's getting there."

Old Posted Sep 5, 2023, 1:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terminus View Post
Cheaper land, much higher rents, developers that value design.
In addition to those points, my pet theory is that developers like that both of these areas offered a blank slate for them to create their own urban vision. In both OFW and West Midtown, its mostly just two mega developers symbiotically building out their little oasis.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2023, 4:54 PM

Agreed. Midtown, Downtown, and Buckhead Village will continue to urbanize in the traditional way; the value of West Midtown and O4W is they grew up from scratch. (The Battery and Summerhill also can be thrown into the conversation, although they're less prime in terms of rent and design.)

Atlanta needs to modify its zoning to encourage more areas like these two in other parts of the city. Armour Yard is the low hanging fruit, along with various areas along the south/west Beltline. Infrastructure development should begin now too.

Brookhaven is also doing some exciting things--hopefully it's setting its sights high enough in terms of density and design.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2023, 5:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by testarossa50 View Post
Agreed. Midtown, Downtown, and Buckhead Village will continue to urbanize in the traditional way; the value of West Midtown and O4W is they grew up from scratch. (The Battery and Summerhill also can be thrown into the conversation, although they're less prime in terms of rent and design.)

Atlanta needs to modify its zoning to encourage more areas like these two in other parts of the city. Armour Yard is the low hanging fruit, along with various areas along the south/west Beltline. Infrastructure development should begin now too.

Brookhaven is also doing some exciting things--hopefully it's setting its sights high enough in terms of density and design.
I'd love to see some density at Armour Yards as well, but they're going to need some additional street connectivity and a new MARTA station first. The one road in under I-85 is already a nightmare as is.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2023, 10:32 PM

Quote:
In addition to those points, my pet theory is that developers like that both of these areas offered a blank slate for them to create their own urban vision. In both OFW and West Midtown, its mostly just two mega developers symbiotically building out their little oasis.
Exactly.

There's definitely the race/class aspect of these mega projects. Nowhere with true urban diversity can get a break.

"Atlanta - it's getting there."

Old Posted Sep 10, 2023, 12:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3yonce View Post
I'd love to see some density at Armour Yards as well, but they're going to need some additional street connectivity and a new MARTA station first. The one road in under I-85 is already a nightmare as is.
Meh just build it out and people would live there and deal with it.

Just imagine if you didn’t let the development along Howell Moll occur due to the crap grid or lack of passenger rail access.

A few years from now the BeltLine will have a bridge to Lindbergh station, anyhow.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2023, 11:43 PM

Tishman Speyer leaves West Midtown project

https://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/...n-project.html
Quote:
Tishman Speyer has withdrawn from a 3-acre West Midtown project where it had planned hundreds of apartments and several floors of office space.

A joint venture of Atlanta-based Cartel Properties and Austin, Texas-based Aquila Commercial is coming back with a revised plan for Brady Avenue.

The new plan includes 760 apartments, almost 58,000 square feet of commercial space, and a 135-key limited-service hotel, according to an application filed in Atlanta in early September. The hotel would rise at the corner of Brady Avenue and 10th Street.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2023, 12:16 PM

Surprised they are adding another crane at Stella?

https://app.oxblue.com/cameras/3abfd...rasfieldgorrie

Old Posted Sep 23, 2023, 8:19 PM

Old Posted Sep 23, 2023, 8:20 PM

Old Posted Sep 23, 2023, 8:22 PM

Old Posted Oct 15, 2023, 11:26 AM

Ran down the Westside Beltline Connector and decided to run on the streets on the way back. Plan was to go down Echo St and then turn on Jefferson. I knew on Echo there is an apartment complex that is also on the Beltline. I turned on Echo St and running so only vaguely noticing the buildings. Was a "nice" building that appeared under construction. I then noticed a Path quality path that didn't make sense since there were RR tracks in back. So I decided to explore. It circled the building and I keep looking. At first I thought it was a luxury apartment complex building but soon realized it was an office complex. As I got around notice there was NO construction work evidence. The building looks to be over 90% complete and abandoned. What a waste. There is even a website:
https://echostreetwest.com

I thought "where does this go"

Old Posted Oct 15, 2023, 11:54 AM

It’s a brand new timber build and part of the same apartment project with retail facing the Westside connector. Give it time and we’ll surely have tenants.

https://atlanta.urbanize.city/post/w...t-office-piece

Old Posted Oct 16, 2023, 4:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street Advocate View Post
It’s a brand new timber build and part of the same apartment project with retail facing the Westside connector. Give it time and we’ll surely have tenants.
Hope you are right but it sure has an abandoned feel about the site. For instance here is the path around it and it abruptly ends and appears to have been in this state for months. Also I looked inside the 1st level (open) floor (plan) and it was mostly complete but there was no construction materials or anything related like a ladder anywhere in site. I may try and run by Thursday and see if there are people on site working.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2023, 7:09 PM

Deleted.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2023, 4:44 PM

Ran by today (Thursday about 9:15AM) and not a soul (or truck) to be found on site anywhere. Also it is NOT a Timber Build but steel and concrete. I know that is what it says on their website (and where Street Advocate likely got that info) but that is not correct.

EDIT: I went to the DRP Construction site and it doesn't say it is a Timber constitution but "...constructed of cutting-edge steel and cross-laminated timber...". Kinda deceptive on the Echo Street site. Also a plus is the lights are on and the landscaping (at least NEAR the building) is being kept up.

Here is the way the Path around comes to an abrupt end almost to Hollowell.

It sure looks about 90% complete but still needs work (and NOT Timber).

I did find a single ladder on site but no person or any truck on site. Not sure if it was there last week and pic I have has a tree blocking that (NOT timber) pillar. I even went through the building and into the back. It has a nice open garden area.

This ain't wood.

Last edited by Julien; Oct 19, 2023 at 5:07 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta