HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Nov 17, 2020, 4:04 PM
What could go wrong?

Big day for the St Boniface area. COW zoning reports a new 5 storey/48 unit building for 156 Marion and a new 6 storey/65 unit building for 316 Des Meurons. Nice buildings for emptyish properties.

...sorry to busy to post pictures.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Nov 17, 2020, 4:15 PM

Old Posted Nov 17, 2020, 4:47 PM

The Des Meurons building is surprisingly nice for what is kind of a drab stretch of road. Would be nice to see a building like that go up on Provencher!

Nice to see some action on Marion too.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2020, 5:07 PM

The Des Meurons one is a bit of a crappy location. IN the middle of 3 busy roads. Infernos Bistro is next door. So will be interesting to see how everything turns out.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2020, 5:16 PM
There is always a way

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
The Des Meurons one is a bit of a crappy location. IN the middle of 3 busy roads. Infernos Bistro is next door. So will be interesting to see how everything turns out.
Crappy location right now, but will be a big improvement to the area with this one building. I like it
Federalist #10, James Madison

Old Posted Nov 17, 2020, 5:34 PM

That is true yes. In general though it's a vehicle thouroughfare..

Dug and Betty's across the street is a neat little place. There was/is supposed to be another condo development at Goulet and Des Meurons. But it's had signs up for many years now so I doubt it's still in the works.

Nice to see someone is willing to spend sizable dollars at that location.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2020, 6:25 PM
surely you agree with me

There is a plan to improve that block with proper lighting, street furniture, wider sidewalks and planting. It could be a nice node. The city is studying adding a bike lane between here and Provencher as well.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2020, 6:49 PM

Des Meurons north of Goulet has a lot of potential... nice built forms, some mixed uses, walkable, not too much traffic either. Something like this project with commercial space at the base could really serve as an anchor for more development in the future.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2020, 7:09 PM
There is always a way

Haha is that corrugated black metal siding in the background with corten steel on the front CRUs there? It's that dreaded one-two punch!

Old Posted Nov 17, 2020, 7:14 PM
What could go wrong?

^^^I love Corten Steel...I know lots don't. Augmented with black accents (what ever material it may be) even better.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Nov 17, 2020, 7:18 PM

Weathering steel doesn't always work out but in that rendering I'd say it looks good.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2020, 7:35 PM
surely you agree with me

it will be awesome.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2020, 8:04 PM

I think the building looks great. Regarding the sidewalks. From the render, looks like they'll add bumpouts in the curb lane. So will only have 1 through lane each way. Just wait for the St. B NIMBY's...

Old Posted Nov 17, 2020, 8:08 PM
There is always a way

Quote:
I think the building looks great. Regarding the sidewalks. From the render, looks like they'll add bumpouts in the curb lane. So will only have 1 through lane each way. Just wait for the St. B NIMBY's...
They can suck it. This will be nothing but positive for the area.

Regarding the design, that was tongue in cheek, I think it looks pretty good!

Old Posted Nov 17, 2020, 8:15 PM

^ I don't think the St. B NIMBY obstruction crew cares about anything that happens that far south of Provencher...

Old Posted Nov 17, 2020, 8:26 PM

The building on Des Meurons will be replacing a true St B gem! That is the quintessential St Boniface building. I am being facetious. That parking lot replacement down the street is exciting. I wish the hospital would just build one giant parking structure and then all of those open lots could be developed. same with the Norwood Hotel.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2020, 6:16 PM

I'm not talking about the building. Don't underestimate the NIMBY's. "You're taking away my traffic lanes?! NOOOO!"

The NIMBY's effectively shot down any chance of transit going through St. B. So the City went a different direction. The don't want any change. It's sad. And they fully admit it.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2020, 6:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plrh View Post
The building on Des Meurons will be replacing a true St B gem! That is the quintessential St Boniface building. I am being facetious. That parking lot replacement down the street is exciting. I wish the hospital would just build one giant parking structure and then all of those open lots could be developed. same with the Norwood Hotel.
The hospital is building a new parkade on Tache. However, I doubt they will ever relinquish those surface lots.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2020, 7:23 PM

Both projects awesome.

Des Meurons has seen lots of renos new builds the last few years north of Goulet and I agree has lots of potential. Bike lanes will make it even better. There really isn't ever that much traffic there and there's usually a few cars parked anyway so it won't really affect traffic much.

Marion one also a great development. Was just thinking the other day (as always) if anything will ever happen on some of those lots, there's so much potential.

That Dominos strip mall will haunt Marion for decades. It's mind boggling it was approved only 5 years ago.

Quote:
The hospital is building a new parkade on Tache. However, I doubt they will ever relinquish those surface lots.
The hospital's parking is honestly such a blight on the area. I really hope they (have to) build commercial into the main floor of it. Right across from the hospital they will have no problem finding a tenant. SBH should (be forced to) have all parking in parkades so they can sell/develop all the surface lots that keep growing in number.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2020, 7:35 PM

I think it does. Pretty sure it went through the City clerks website a while ago.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan