HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Jan 31, 2024, 2:21 PM
sick transit, gloria

This was quite some time ago but can confirm the rough-hewn edges of Kingston when we went to visit some friends at Queen's in undergrad. My friend got a bit too drunk for most "nicer" student oriented places and we ended up in a Townie bar that we clearly weren't welcome at. Come closing time a bunch of guys including the bouncers attempted to beat the shit out of my friend and broke his nose pretty good - I managed to grab him and we managed to run off despite not having any perception of direction in Kingston and it being pre-smartphone days. Somehow managed to find our other friend's place without much incident, despite my shoes and pants being covered in blood (not mine). Our other friends were jumped again by that group and one ended up in hospital with a bad concussion. Fun times!

Things are probably better now but I've heard some interesting stories when I'm in the area.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2024, 4:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acottawa View Post
It appears to be 73.5 at Queen's and 74.6 at Western.

https://macleans.ca/education/canada...-distribution/
JFC, grade inflation has gotten worse since I last looked in detail (which was a few years ago).

Old Posted Jan 31, 2024, 4:49 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by Docere View Post
JFC, grade inflation has gotten worse since I last looked in detail (which was a few years ago).
The University of Manitoba has 45% of its entering students with >95% high-school averages.

The next school down the list is Waterloo (43.6%)

Old Posted Jan 31, 2024, 4:55 PM

95 is the new 80 apparently.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2024, 5:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewave46 View Post
The University of Manitoba has 45% of its entering students with >95% high-school averages.

The next school down the list is Waterloo (43.6%)
Yeah I noticed that too. Guess Manitoba has a different grading scale. Wonder if that gets them into the Ontario school of their choice?

Old Posted Jan 31, 2024, 5:55 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOWetal View Post
Yeah I noticed that too. Guess Manitoba has a different grading scale. Wonder if that gets them into the Ontario school of their choice?
Most university admissions departments have scales they use to establish equivalents between different jurisdictions.

So a 90 from such a place might weighted the same as an 80 from another place.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2024, 5:59 PM
It's Hammer Time

Despite pressure from universities, Doug Ford says it's 'not the time' for a tuition increase
Shortly after taking office in 2018, the Ford government slashed tuition by 10 per cent for students and has not allowed schools to raise rates since.
https://www.thespec.com/politics/pro...8b0ec9120.html

Ontario college and university students won't be paying more tuition this fall, says Premier Doug Ford.

"I just don't believe this is the time to go into these students' pockets — especially the ones that are really struggling — and ask for a tuition increase," Ford said Wednesday morning.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2024, 6:12 PM
recession proof

What really needs to happen: layoffs. Universities and colleges have tremendous bloat, as does government in general. I suspect a new government is needed before this happens, but if corporations are laying off 10% ....

This idea that we need constant growth is dumb.

Waterloo has a huge divide between students/employees and those without degrees and/or connections to the universities. Then there's Conestoga College, which was always looked at as the place lower class locals went to get diplomas to work in nursing, the trades, manufacturing, ECE etc.

I was the outsider with no connection to KW region other than having gone shopping there a lot as a kid, although my grandmother did teach English at UW in the 1970s. I still don't know anyone born in KW.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2024, 8:58 PM
Regina rhymes with fun!

What needs to happen is for the Ontario government to commit more funding to the universities in the budget.

He can't have world-class universities and not expect to pay a pretty penny just to maintain it. Someone will have to pay for it, whether it be the students, or the taxpayers.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2024, 10:03 PM

Yes, universities probably do need more investment from the province, but I'd want to see a real commitment by the universities to slim down their operations first. Especially Queen's, which suffers very badly from administrative bloat.
"It is only because the control of the means of production is divided among many people acting independently that nobody has complete power over us, that we as individuals can decide what to do with ourselves." - Friedrich Hayek

Old Posted Jan 31, 2024, 10:33 PM
菠蘿油

Quote:
Originally Posted by Docere View Post
95 is the new 80 apparently.
In Grade 12, I rigged my average by applying to shift all my best courses into the first semester (the only one that counts for university admissions) and keep all my worst courses in the second semester. English, social studies, French, communications in the fall, then math and sciences later in the spring.

On top of that, due to some administrative quirk at my school, each module of elective courses was counted on the transcript as a separate course. Because of that I ended up with a 95 average in the first semester, which made my university applications look great. I think my average in the second semester was around 70.

I was never an amazing student but I did have some street smarts

Old Posted Feb 9, 2024, 1:43 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Mount Allison to modernize its 54-year-old library
The renovation is estimated to cost $85M over 5 years

Rhythm Rathi · CBC News · Posted: Feb 09, 2024 6:00 AM AST | Last Updated: 3 hours ago
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-b...tion-1.7108679

This is essentially an interior forklift upgrade, but retaining the essential characteristics of the building with some visible cosmetic and structural changes on the outside.

Quote:
The five-year project comes with an estimated cost of $85 million which includes the construction of a temporary library behind the athletics centre.
Quote:
"We are keeping the atrium. We know that's very important to people, but we're basically starting from the ground up and some of the exciting things will be a new entrance from York Street."

She said the current building lacks enough power outlets, quiet study and gathering spaces, and updated technology in classrooms and labs.
Quote:
In the summer of 2024, construction of an on-campus interim library will begin. This location will later be converted into a multipurpose athletic complex upon the completion of the library renovation in the summer of 2029.
This is the (mostly) unstated bonus of this project - an expansion of the athletic complex with the construction of a new multipurpose facility.

Quote:
Rubin says the remodelled library will also enclose the breezeway that connects it to the Crabtree building.

The library's café will move to the enclosed breezeway, which will also have flexible furniture and more lights, making it a gathering space for the community to attend book talks, faculty readings and other events.

Sackville is quite sleepy compared to it's Monctonian exurban cousin (Shediac), but, this MTA library/athletic centre refurbishment, and the new six storey Lafford apartment building under construction overlooking the Waterfowl Park are two substantial developments for the town.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2024, 3:45 PM

Apparently UBC has plans for five 35 story towers.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2024, 4:35 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacktrojan3921 View Post
What needs to happen is for the Ontario government to commit more funding to the universities in the budget.

He can't have world-class universities and not expect to pay a pretty penny just to maintain it. Someone will have to pay for it, whether it be the students, or the taxpayers.
Ontario pays 57% of what other provinces do per student. Provinces outside Ontario provide universities an average of $20,772 in funding per full-time-equivalent student. Ontario's annual funding is little more than half of that: $11,471. The lowest among all provinces in Canada.* That is appalling. I will never vote for a government that thinks this is ok. Of course, it isn't a coincidence that Douggie never went to university (despite being born with a silver spoon up his ass).

*https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toron...ford-1.7032518

I am embarrassed to say that the education minister is one of our alumni.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2024, 3:32 PM
It's Hammer Time

Ford government to announce details of billion-dollar boost to colleges and universities today
A government source, speaking confidentially, told the Star the money will be targeted at the schools with the greatest need.

https://www.thespec.com/politics/pro...3d6f79e60.html

Ontario's colleges and universities are set to get a billion-dollar funding boost from the Ford government.

Post-secondary Minister Jill Dunlop will make the announcement Monday afternoon at Queen's Park. Premier Doug Ford said Friday it would be "fabulous" news.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2024, 3:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelTown View Post
Ford government to announce details of billion-dollar boost to colleges and universities today
A government source, speaking confidentially, told the Star the money will be targeted at the schools with the greatest need.

https://www.thespec.com/politics/pro...3d6f79e60.html

Ontario's colleges and universities are set to get a billion-dollar funding boost from the Ford government.

Post-secondary Minister Jill Dunlop will make the announcement Monday afternoon at Queen's Park. Premier Doug Ford said Friday it would be "fabulous" news.
Instead of greatest need how about they get $5 for every dollar in administrative costs saved. Sure they can fudge the numbers a bit but as a blunt instrument it could go a long way.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2024, 6:04 PM
Midtowner since 2K

I find this announcement funny, considering the education cuts this government has made since beginning their first term.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2024, 6:40 PM
It's Hammer Time

Ontario adds $1.3B in post-secondary funding, freezes tuition for three more years

https://www.cp24.com/news/ontario-ad...ears-1.6783366

TORONTO -- Ontario's colleges and universities minister says the province will put an additional $1.3 billion over three years toward "stabilizing" post-secondary institutions but will keep tuition fees frozen for at least three more years.

A government-commissioned report released in November said that low levels of provincial funding to colleges and universities combined with a tuition cut and freeze in 2019 are posing a "significant threat" to the financial sustainability of the sector.

Minister Jill Dunlop says today that the government will put $903 million over three years into a new Postsecondary Education Sustainability Fund, with some of that money set aside for institutions with the highest financial need. The rest of the funding will go to capital funding, some STEM program costs and research and innovation projects, among other initiatives.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2024, 7:00 PM

Disappointed the province isn't going to be tying the funding to progress in reducing administrative bloat. YOWetal's idea of $5 in additional provincial funding for every $1 in administrative efficiencies is a good one.
"It is only because the control of the means of production is divided among many people acting independently that nobody has complete power over us, that we as individuals can decide what to do with ourselves." - Friedrich Hayek

Old Posted Feb 26, 2024, 7:56 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

I've got one kid who goes to the University of Ottawa at the moment so happy that tuition won't be increasing (much?) for a couple of years.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada