HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Feb 2, 2023, 7:10 PM

Everything softens with age. We used to ironically listen to Nickelback as a joke, like "Hey, put on a a 10 song Nickelback playlist at this party to fuck with everyone" since no one actually likes Nickelback. The funny thing is once everyone's drunk and doesn't care you have 12 people singing along to every song and they know all the words.

It's also interesting how much your musical preference can be tied to what was on when you were a kid/coming of age. If I hear Barenaked Ladies "If I had a Million Dollars" come on, no matter where I am it takes me back to my best friends cottage where we'd spend 2 weeks every summer growing up. It's such a strong visceral feeling that can make you relive a moment so clearly. I can never hate BNL for that reason alone. Same thing with anyone who was in elementary/middle school around the time Blink-182 or Sum 41 were big. I can objectively say that they're not the most talented musicians, but I'm never skipping "All the Small Things" or "In Too Deep".

Old Posted Feb 2, 2023, 7:25 PM
Great White Norf

niwell, buying a house in Napanee really changed you. jeezus.

(insert SLC Punk Dad .gif)

Old Posted Feb 2, 2023, 7:28 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by suburbanite View Post
Same thing with anyone who was in elementary/middle school around the time Blink-182 or Sum 41 were big. I can objectively say that they're not the most talented musicians, but I'm never skipping "All the Small Things" or "In Too Deep".
Work sucks.

I know.

(Even though that's not really from my youth.)

Old Posted Feb 2, 2023, 7:29 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Everything softens with age. We used to ironically listen to Nickelback as a joke, like "Hey, put on a a 10 song Nickelback playlist at this party to fuck with everyone" since no one actually likes Nickelback. The funny thing is once everyone's drunk and doesn't care you have 12 people singing along to every song and they know all the words.
These few lines sum up a lot of things about life really well.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2023, 7:35 PM
sick transit, gloria

The second and third album from Blink-182 will forever remind me of cruising with friends around suburban Calgary in my mom's car late at night.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2023, 7:43 PM

I went to the Sum 41 concert in Toronto this summer and it was probably the most fun I had out of the 8+ shows I went to. A group of twenty of us, almost thirty years old, lawyers, teachers, bankers, etc. and we were jumping around on the lawn like we were in 8th grade again.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2023, 7:58 PM

Quote:
It's also interesting how much your musical preference can be tied to what was on when you were a kid/coming of age. If I hear Barenaked Ladies "If I had a Million Dollars" come on, no matter where I am it takes me back to my best friends cottage where we'd spend 2 weeks every summer growing up. It's such a strong visceral feeling that can make you relive a moment so clearly. I can never hate BNL for that reason alone.
Most of us have our peak influential years for music from about age 13-22. For me that would be 1977 1986 which seems about right. Songs from that era although not my favourites bring up good memories of people and places from that era. That could explain 'One of Us' (Abba)and One Day in Your Life (Michael Jackson) on my Spotify Playlist as they remind me of good times with people at that time.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2023, 7:59 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proof Sheet View Post
Most of us have our peak influential years for music from about age 13-22. For me that would be 1977 1986 which seems about right. Songs from that era although not my favourites bring up good memories of people and places from that era. That could explain 'One of Us' (Abba)and One Day in Your Life (Michael Jackson) on my Spotify Playlist as they remind me of good times with people at that time.
Hey, you're older than I thought!

Old Posted Feb 2, 2023, 8:25 PM
Ham-burgher

Quote:
Everything softens with age.

Sorry for taking that out of context.

Personality-wise I've hardened in my 40s and now early 50s. Musically I still like the same things, though I'm more open to alternatives.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2023, 8:26 PM
Ham-burgher

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-tacular View Post
Is there a Chad Kroeger muppet? He's looking like one.

Not a comment on their music in any way shape or form. Only commenting on what I see.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2023, 1:25 AM
Great White Norf

Blink 182 was definitely part of my HS years. One of those rare bands where pretty much everyone in my age cohort liked them.

"A tank of gas is a treasure to me
I know now that nothing is free
I talk to you every now and then
I never felt so alone again"

Video Link

The late 90s seemed like a glorious time to be alive.

Last edited by Wigs; Feb 3, 2023 at 1:43 AM.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2023, 1:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Hey, you're older than I thought!
Young at heart. About a year older than Steve Coogan and born about 20 km away.

In terms of music, I'm becoming an old crusty but to me most modern 'pop' 'chart' music all sounds the same and so lacking in soul and just assembly line pop. I'm sure in my 'influential musical years' people older than me thought the music I grew up with was similar.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2023, 1:59 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScreamingViking View Post
Is there a Chad Kroeger muppet? He's looking like one.

Not a comment on their music in any way shape or form. Only commenting on what I see.
He could be a muppet. Which muppet though? Herry Monster? Grover? Elno? Oscar? Dr. Teeth?

Look at this Photograph!!

Old Posted Feb 3, 2023, 2:04 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Exactement. Me, I am a massive fan of 1965-1985 music...my folks were big fans of the Beatles and the Rolling Stones (which catapulted me into the whole classic rock thing way before it was called classic rock), and my mom loved Disco, so there's that too. New Wave was hitting its stride when I entered high school.

I own it all.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2023, 2:14 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Young at heart. About a year older than Steve Coogan and born about 20 km away.

Nice subtle Alan Partridge reference there, but it didn't by me!

Old Posted Feb 3, 2023, 2:16 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
In terms of music, I'm becoming an old crusty but to me most modern 'pop' 'chart' music all sounds the same and so lacking in soul and just assembly line pop. I'm sure in my 'influential musical years' people older than me thought the music I grew up with was similar.
As a child of the 80s (mostly) I fully recognize that a lot of the stuff I love from my youth is exactly this.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2023, 2:25 PM

I think there's also some benefit to being born later in the sense that you have this expanded range of music that hits home for you. Being born in the 90s means that I enjoy some of the "less refined" stuff from my youth like all of the aforementioned, hell even something like 50 cent reminds me of being in the guys changeroom after gym class in 7th grade. At the same time classic rock is still my favourite genre and I got to go back and discover all that stuff with my parents and through the adventures of Limewire and whatnot back in the day. If you're born in the 70s and 80's then your cutoff for mainstream music that you enjoy ends much earlier, and your musical universe is probably more static.

I'm sure it will be the exact same thing for me with whatever the biggest hits are in 2030, but each generation gets the benefit of going back and having this ever growing repository of music that they can pick their favourites out of, while still enjoying whatever is hot in the moment.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2023, 3:17 PM

There's loads of "pop" stuff that I derided when it came out and was all over the place, and now find myself genuinely liking. Lady Gaga is the first example that comes to mind, and some older Taylor Swift, some Flo Rida and T-Pain stuff now just reminds me of having fun a high school dances. Back in high school I was too much "if they aren't playing real guitars it isn't real music" (obv that doesn't apply to Swift).

Miley Cyrus' new song Flowers is the first modern pop song that I've gone straight to liking without hating it first... although maybe the music video helped sway my opinion

Old Posted Feb 3, 2023, 3:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Nice subtle Alan Partridge reference there, but it didn't by me!
He has great musical taste

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tyZspqjtG2k

Old Posted Feb 3, 2023, 3:28 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonny24 View Post
There's loads of "pop" stuff that I derided when it came out and was all over the place, and now find myself genuinely liking. Lady Gaga is the first example that comes to mind, and some older Taylor Swift, some Flo Rida and T-Pain stuff now just reminds me of having fun a high school dances. Back in high school I was too much "if they aren't playing real guitars it isn't real music" (obv that doesn't apply to Swift).

Miley Cyrus' new song Flowers is the first modern pop song that I've gone straight to liking without hating it first... although maybe the music video helped sway my opinion
There is a lot of contemporary music I just can't stand, but I actually don't mind those you've mentioned. (Though I don't know T-Pain.)

I also like The Weeknd, Bruno Mars, Pink, Mika, Usher.

Pretty open-minded, I am!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada