HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted May 5, 2021, 2:36 PM
Eschew Obfuscation

Old Posted May 5, 2021, 5:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeJaxon76 View Post

By deejaxon76 on Flickr

By deejaxon76 on Flickr

By deejaxon76 on Flickr

By deejaxon76 on Flickr
I thought I followed everything correctly������ to post photos
Sorry, I should have shown you how to do it in the other thread. It's like this. Just copy and paste the code that Flickr provides under the "BBCode" tab in the "Share Photo" dialog box. Don't alter it. You can even choose which size you want to post. I chose the "Large (1600 x 1200)" option here.

20210430_100108 by David Jackson, on Flickr

20210430_100101 by David Jackson, on Flickr

20210430_095947 by David Jackson, on Flickr

20210430_100117 by David Jackson, on Flickr

Old Posted May 7, 2021, 9:23 AM

Any progress on the Cottonwood Mall site lately?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlas View Post

I drove by the former Cottonwood Mall site in Holladay yesterday and it does look like development is (finally) imminent. It's fenced off and a sign says that "Holladay Hills" is coming soon. I did a little digging and learned about all of the NIMBY drama of the area in recent history, which I'm sure you are all aware of, but I don't know if this article (from April) was ever shared here:

https://www.holladayjournal.com/2020...be-redeveloped

And this is from the project website:

Old Posted May 15, 2021, 6:38 PM

Public comment sessions open for gravel pit proposed development plan

May 12, 2021 11:25AM ● By Cassie Goff - https://www.cottonwoodheightsjournal...issue-may-2021

Public comments are now being heard by the Cottonwood Heights City Council regarding a proposed development plan for the gravel pit along Wasatch Boulevard. (Rockworth Development/Cottonwood Heights)

Old Posted May 15, 2021, 6:49 PM

Holladay - ‘World-class’ skatepark coming to Holladay

May 10, 2021 11:02AM ● By Zak Sonntag - https://www.holladayjournal.com/2021...ng-to-holladay

Sabrina Petersen cheers the city’s new skatepark design. (Zak Sonntag/City Journals)

Last edited by delts145; Jul 17, 2023 at 10:18 PM.

Old Posted May 15, 2021, 6:55 PM

Holladay - City’s ‘primary gateway’ readied for revamp

Apr 12, 2021 09:50AM ● By Zak Sonntag - https://www.holladayjournal.com/2021...ied-for-revamp

An artistic rendering gives a potential look of a realized Crossroads. (Courtesy City of Holladay)

Old Posted May 27, 2021, 12:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delts145 View Post
Any progress on the Cottonwood Mall site lately?
Here is the photo I took on 5/20/2021. It appears they have started construction on at least one structure that appears to be going vertical.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2021, 2:54 PM

This has potential:

Zoning change clears the way for massive 647-unit apartment complex on city’s west side

May 26, 2021 01:27PM ● By Carl Fauver

By Carl Fauver | carlf@mycityjournals.com

Unanimous votes by both the planning commission and city council have cleared the way for the largest influx of rentable housing to come to the city, through a single project, in the 25-year history of Taylorsville.

However, it’s still anyone’s guess as to when existing structures on the property will be demolished, new construction will begin, or the first tenants will call “West Point” home.

“I am excited about what this will bring to the city,” Councilman Dan Armstrong said. “I have a young son and he and his fiancée have been looking for an apartment. It’s just a really tight market. This project will add much-needed housing to a notoriously blighted part of our city. It will be such a plus.”

The “blighted” area is 16.49 acres, on the southwest corner of 5400 South and Bangerter Highway. Locals know it as “the old Kmart” store (long empty), some smaller ‘strip mall’ shops (vacant) and a massive parking lot. For years, city council members have rejected various zoning change proposals, because they didn’t care for what developers wanted to do with the high-profile acreage. One wanted to construct storage units. Another wanted to sell used cars and trucks.

But now Salt Lake-based Thackeray Company instead plans to construct 647 apartment units, and at least 10,000 square feet of commercial space, while surrounding them with nearly a thousand parking stalls, some on two levels.

Entire article with site plan here: https://www.taylorsvillecityjournal....z5A0SP5pQk2Gak

And then preliminary renderings (I think they're just for massing and like, Mood Boards?) in the Taylorsville City Council documents here: https://www.taylorsvilleut.gov/Home/...cument?id=6262

I've known that area for decades (lived up the street from it in Kearns, worked at Baskin-Robbins in that decaying strip mall for 3 years in high school), and it is truly blighted. But also potentially, a beautiful site with unmatched views of the Wasatch, the Oquirrhs, and one of my favorite views of a distant downtown. So...there's potential. Whether or not it happens, I dunno.

On another K-Mart grave on 3900 South and Redwood Road in WVC, they're already well into another huge complex, looks like 5-6 stories of wood above a podium. They've topped out on height for some of the buildings, and it's significant.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2021, 3:22 PM
Space Magi

Cool, thanks for the info. I had no idea Dwell had another project in the SL Valley. They're also doing CINQ, RIO, and the Theatre Tower in SLC proper, so that Taylorsville project should be a cut above most of the apartment complexes being built in the valley in terms of design.

I came across some photos of the now-completed Fairbourne Station in "downtown" WVC. They are actively advertising the building for office tenants:

Old Posted Jun 7, 2021, 4:18 PM

That's good to hear -- that part of town could use some nice things. I mean, it's right next to Dutch Bros and the Liquor Store, so most of their needs should be met.

I have a co-worker who moved into Fairbourne Station -- he really likes it there so far. Haven't been to visit because I HAVEN'T BEEN INVITED, but it sounds like the residential part of it is filling up.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2021, 10:07 PM

That parking garage next to the new office building at Fairbourne Station has some incredible views for that area.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2021, 1:09 AM
Exit 298

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedikermit View Post
Unanimous votes by both the planning commission and city council have cleared the way for the largest influx of rentable housing to come to the city, through a single project, in the 25-year history of Taylorsville.
Housing is housing. All of the above!

I wish these were a 50/50 mix of purchases/rentals, but oh well. Maybe if the developer gets it right, it will reduce the stigma on high-density — so we can see more get built. Fairbourne Station turned out very well.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2021, 11:48 PM
Space Magi

One of the apartment complexes under construction in Millcreek is on fire right now. I think it's either the "Richmond Apartments" or the "Cottonwood Highland Apartments."
https://www.abc4.com/news/developing...-in-millcreek/

Last edited by Atlas; Jun 17, 2021 at 12:10 AM.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2021, 3:06 PM

A guy was arrested and charged for arson in the Sugar House fire from last weekend--I really wonder if this is a similar situation. I like the location and size of this one ^^^ I hope they're able to rebuild. :/

Old Posted Jun 19, 2021, 1:49 PM

Any updates on the apartment building fire? That seemed like a key piece of the new downtown Millcreek development. Is it possible to rebuild from a loss like that? Worried we’ll have a hole in the ground for the next decade. Just thinking of the insurance litigation and financing commitments that need to be renegotiated makes me feel terrible for the developers.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2021, 4:36 PM

Apollo Square condo development in Holladay. Holladay seems to be the only place in Utah that builds for the future (i.e. quality architecture and design)

Old Posted Jun 20, 2021, 4:38 PM
Space Magi

I saw a listing for those condos recently and they were asking for $1 million+.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2021, 6:16 PM

/\/\/\ Ya, I just saw this, too. $1.1 million for a unit.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2021, 6:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlas View Post
One of the apartment complexes under construction in Millcreek is on fire right now. I think it's either the "Richmond Apartments" or the "Cottonwood Highland Apartments."
https://www.abc4.com/news/developing...-in-millcreek/

This happened next to a project we are working on. I was told the fire was so hot the post tension tendons melted in the slab. They are saying what's left will have to be removed and built again.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2021, 2:50 PM
Eschew Obfuscation

New KSL article on The Point project:

https://www.ksl.com/article/50222116...e-taking-shape

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West