HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Apr 7, 2023, 4:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoughtcriminal View Post
This was an April Fool's Day joke.
Is this a possible development site though for the future?

Old Posted Apr 7, 2023, 3:43 PM

There was a legit development here called Mandeville place, but died around the 08 downturn i think

Old Posted Apr 7, 2023, 4:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skintreesnail View Post
There was a legit development here called Mandeville place, but died around the 08 downturn i think
If I had to pick one dead proposal over the last 20 years to have gotten built... it'd be this one. Shame they don't seem to be actively pursuing development there, but I'm sure they make a ton of money as a parking lot.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2023, 1:41 PM

Any news on this project? It would be great if it happened: https://www.bizjournals.com/philadel...roperties.html

Old Posted Apr 10, 2023, 3:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdJay64 View Post
Any news on this project? It would be great if it happened: https://www.bizjournals.com/philadel...roperties.html
I haven’t heard anything since the sale. I suspect we won’t see anything seriously move there until rates start coming down but I’d love to be wrong.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2023, 5:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbanthusiat View Post
If I had to pick one dead proposal over the last 20 years to have gotten built... it'd be this one. Shame they don't seem to be actively pursuing development there, but I'm sure they make a ton of money as a parking lot.
I think if you polled the longtime contributors/followers on this thread, most would place Mandeville Place as the top never-built skyscraper in Philadelphia. If I recall, it was about 640 feet so quite tall but the design is absolutely stunning. Even Inga was wow'd. There were lots of fantastic projects that died in '08 (and some were more fantasy, e.g., American Commerce Tower) but Mandeville Place was the best of the bunch.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2023, 1:53 PM
Ridin' into the sunset

Yeah, Mandeville Place was at the time one of the most anticipated buildings in Philly on this forum. Still remains one of the biggest never-built bummers in the last decade for sure.
"Then each time Fleetwood would be not so much overcome by remorse as bedazzled at having been shown the secret backlands of wealth, and how sooner or later it depended on some act of murder, seldom limited to once."

Against the Day, Thomas Pynchon

Old Posted Apr 13, 2023, 2:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McBane View Post
I think if you polled the longtime contributors/followers on this thread, most would place Mandeville Place as the top never-built skyscraper in Philadelphia. If I recall, it was about 640 feet so quite tall but the design is absolutely stunning. Even Inga was wow'd. There were lots of fantastic projects that died in '08 (and some were more fantasy, e.g., American Commerce Tower) but Mandeville Place was the best of the bunch.
Bridgeman View Tower would give Mandeville a run for its money in terms of anticipated but never built residential towers.
https://phillyyimby.com/2021/02/brid...iew-tower.html

Old Posted Apr 13, 2023, 3:20 PM

To me at least, Bridgeman's View was emblematic of the long line of failed uber ambitious projects on the Delaware riverfront. Not saying BV was not a serious proposal but I always view such projects on the waterfront with a big grain of salt. Mandeville Place felt like a more realistic proposal.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2023, 3:29 PM
Tony V / ValuezTV

https://phillyyimby.com/2021/02/a-lo...supertall.html

Sorry this is the best unbuilt gem in the city, it really should have been built.

I know this building would have been featured in many movies with its lit up globe. it was a show stopper.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2023, 3:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoughtcriminal View Post
Bridgeman View Tower would give Mandeville a run for its money in terms of anticipated but never built residential towers.
https://phillyyimby.com/2021/02/brid...iew-tower.html
I never wanted Bridgemans to be built. I thought it was a parody.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2023, 4:06 PM

How about Center City Tower

Old Posted Apr 13, 2023, 4:42 PM

Design and height wise, Center City Tower was awesome. I love this building and I'm sorry, it's nicer than either of the two Comcast towers (particularly the 2nd one, which I'm not a big fan of), which I mention b/c Comcast was supposed to be the anchor tenant here. This proposal was a bit before my time, but I believe it was more conceptual?

Regardless, we ended up with two very tall Comcast buildings plus two beautiful towers on the site of Meridian Plaza, so it's hard for me to get too hung up on this one.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2023, 6:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McBane View Post
Design and height wise, Center City Tower was awesome. I love this building and I'm sorry, it's nicer than either of the two Comcast towers (particularly the 2nd one, which I'm not a big fan of), which I mention b/c Comcast was supposed to be the anchor tenant here. This proposal was a bit before my time, but I believe it was more conceptual?

Regardless, we ended up with two very tall Comcast buildings plus two beautiful towers on the site of Meridian Plaza, so it's hard for me to get too hung up on this one.
That would look amazing at 13th & Market

Old Posted Apr 13, 2023, 7:33 PM

Had Bridgeman's View and the World Trade Center had been built imagine how the entire skyline would have looked; much larger for sure.

I wonder why Philadelphia never built a World Trade Tower? Of course New York has a World Trade Center as well as Baltimore but Philadelphia as usual never follows the trend on the waterfront well.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2023, 8:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnIII View Post
World Trade Center
this was a mess, google it. here is a quick one. amazingly the same group still owns it, but don't bad mouth them they may sue you
https://whyy.org/articles/the-cost-o...ing-operation/

Old Posted Apr 13, 2023, 10:18 PM

It's frustrating that two of those big canceled projects are still surface parking lots. Particularly the one south of 2400 Chestnut.

What do we think the best "never built" projects will be from this era will be? We didn't have as many massive towers announced (or canceled) this boom, but we have a lot of projects that haven't got built. I will be sad if the Trader Joe's parking lot building never gets built. That has a nice design. Mural Arts West tower is for sale / canceled. That was a cool one at broad and spring garden. Also I wish a few more of the projects on the piers in South Philly panned out. There was a few nice proposals that seem dead as could be now. Jeweler's Row tower might be the worst hole though.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2023, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TempleGuy1000 View Post
It's frustrating that two of those big canceled projects are still surface parking lots. Particularly the one south of 2400 Chestnut.

What do we think the best "never built" projects will be from this era will be? We didn't have as many massive towers announced (or canceled) this boom, but we have a lot of projects that haven't got built. I will be sad if the Trader Joe's parking lot building never gets built. That has a nice design. Mural Arts West tower is for sale / canceled. That was a cool one at broad and spring garden. Also I wish a few more of the projects on the piers in South Philly panned out. There was a few nice proposals that seem dead as could be now. Jeweler's Row tower might be the worst hole though.
For me it's Broad and Lombard and I don't think it's particularly close. It might still get built but we're at kind of a standstill until the zoning appeal hearing next month.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2023, 11:06 PM

That one project of two towers on Callowhill was really cool. Forget the name.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2023, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorade_Jim View Post
For me it's Broad and Lombard and I don't think it's particularly close. It might still get built but we're at kind of a standstill until the zoning appeal hearing next month.
That's a good one. At least the Virgin Hotel version of the project is dead. That was pretty awesome.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations