HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia

Old Posted Mar 14, 2024, 12:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jensen201 View Post
BcTom, what a fantastic image of the tower! It really gives it scale of size from the surroundings!!

Mind cash, does anyone know why they went from a 14 storey building to just six? I feel we need more variety in density of our buildings, I can name countless buildings that are 6 storeys tall in Kamloops, I feel that the building height was appropriate for the area as there are taller buildings in the surroundings. ( 9, 11 and 13 storey buildings around the site ) People want to live downtown and dropping the amount of units does not help with the Provincial mandate set for Kamloops. ( to build 4200 more housing units in just 5 years... )
Iirc, VantageHD had previously looked into the original proposal and they wanted to have parking off-site around a block away which is mind-blowing they would even propose that lol, I assume that has something to do with why its been revised.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2024, 2:08 AM

It makes sense, I’m wondering if they could have built underground parking for the building, the same idea as with what happened with the City Gardens development?

Old Posted Mar 15, 2024, 4:38 AM

I think the Seymour street site might have been too small in order to get ramps and the required stalls. Cost to excavate down probably made it unfeasible. I know developers wait years for neighboring properties to come for sale in order to build. Maybe these developers got fed up and just wanted to get some shovels in the ground. Can't blame them to downsize the project if that's the case. Hopefully they don't compromise the design.

BCTom - Awesome picture! Great vantage showing the now second tallest building on the left, and the new tallest building under construction.

Mindcash - Did some digging on that Valleyview site and this is what they're proposing. Looks like very preliminary designs so will be interesting what comes of it. I think what they're proposing would be a great fit, but it looks like Blue Green is the architect so you can guarantee the design will be garbage.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2024, 5:04 PM
Project manger

Yeah... I can already see the design by Blue Green and what it will look like, Grey and Wood.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2024, 4:38 AM

Blue Green developments look like temporary sea container modular apartments they build in Vancouver for the homeless. Really unflattering designs and I really wish they’d step their game up.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2024, 8:13 PM

Couldn’t agree more Repthe250 LOL, their worst project by far IMO, is the building at 501 Tranquille beside the former Tim Hortons, the grey looks bland and the turquoise is one of the weirdest color choices made by far, none of the Color’s really match together it looks like a hot mess there..
On the other hand, construction at City Gardens is going smoothly, they are slowly but surely working on the 15th floor!
IMG_5382 by Jr Jensen, on Flickr

Old Posted Mar 19, 2024, 2:09 AM

I guess we just need to be thankful that Blue Green doesn’t do high rises … yet! Lol

So excited watching this go up. I’m hoping this sets a new precedent for kamloops!

Old Posted Mar 19, 2024, 4:02 AM

The scary thing is they do design high rises. They were the architects behind 1405 St. Paul St in Kelowna, and I actually liked that building. Don't think it ended up going anywhere though.

Took these on a jog today. First one is Thompson Landing - looks like they've started on the second building. Next were taken from either end of the overlanders bridge. Shows City Garden pretty much even with Acacia tower. The distance to both those buildings from that Vantage would be pretty close to the same.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2024, 5:09 AM

Sweet pictures VantageHD, from the Over Landers bridge POV. The pics really show how city gardens is changing the Kamloops skyline..
On another note, I was looking through your Flickr profile, and saw the proposal for 360 Columbia St! Do you know any more details about that? I’m sure we would all love to hear it if you done any more digging

Old Posted Mar 19, 2024, 3:57 PM

Would be nice if the Metis society could pull off this building. Sure would look good at the entrance to downtown coming in from the east. https://lmofcs.ca/otipemisiwak-centre/

Vic 790 by Thomas Johansen, on Flickr

Definitely better then what's going on at the moment

Vic 790 2 by Thomas Johansen, on Flickr

Old Posted Mar 20, 2024, 2:30 AM

Nice set Vantage! Kamloops, with its density and the way the downtown core slopes upwards towards the south will some great layers and will give Kelowna a run for its money!

However, are you referring to this tower at 1405 St Paul?
https://amp.kelownanow.com/watercool...t_Paul_Street/

Because if so, I think that is the most hideous piece of shit design ever haha. Unless you’re referring to an earlier design. But unfortunately I think this one is final which is a huge shame considering it’s going next to the beautiful UBCO tower.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2024, 4:18 AM

Haha, god no. I also despise that tower. I think it was the proposal on that lot before that one. Can't seem to find a good picture of it though. This was the best I could, only shows the top but maybe you'll know just from that. https://infotel.ca/newsitem/no-publi...ghrise/it90553

I was able to find out what they want to build at 360 Columbia St and it reminds me of a hospital, or student housing. Really not a fan of the tower, but the podium looks good. The developer is currently conducting a traffic impact study.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2024, 4:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC.Tom View Post
Would be nice if the Metis society could pull off this building. Sure would look good at the entrance to downtown coming in from the east. https://lmofcs.ca/otipemisiwak-centre/

Vic 790 by Thomas Johansen, on Flickr
Thanks for finding this Tom! I've been wondering about this one. I drive by the site all the time and it looks like crap. Hope they get on this soon, I like it.

The city should be getting rid of 4 lanes on Victoria street from this lot to 6th and make it 2 lanes, parallel parking and extra wide sidewalks, and by looking at that rendering, it almost looks like that's what they might be doing, but hard to tell.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2024, 6:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VantageHD View Post
Haha, god no. I also despise that tower. I think it was the proposal on that lot before that one. Can't seem to find a good picture of it though. This was the best I could, only shows the top but maybe you'll know just from that. https://infotel.ca/newsitem/no-publi...ghrise/it90553

I was able to find out what they want to build at 360 Columbia St and it reminds me of a hospital, or student housing. Really not a fan of the tower, but the podium looks good. The developer is currently conducting a traffic impact study.

Curious how you're able to find info on these proposals. Is it all info you find online or do you have to do some digging through city channels and etc? Or do you just have insider scoop haha

Old Posted Mar 21, 2024, 12:40 AM
SkyTrain Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by VantageHD View Post
. Hope they get on this soon, I like it.
It's been a bulldozed lot for nearly five years now? The site's not even in decontamination. I'll be amazed if shovels are in the ground by 2027.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2024, 2:20 AM

I kind of like that design for 360 Columbia. Super unique and looks like it’ll house a lot of people.

And yes, Vantage, that proposal was waaay better. Would have fit nicely next to UBCO.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2024, 4:32 PM
Project manger

Both of those projects would add so much to down town. I cant wait ( if it reaches that stage ) who comes out in opposition.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2024, 3:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mindcash View Post
Curious how you're able to find info on these proposals. Is it all info you find online or do you have to do some digging through city channels and etc? Or do you just have insider scoop haha
My job puts me in contact with people in the know. I'm no insider, I just know who to ask

Old Posted Mar 22, 2024, 10:56 PM
Project manger

I like the future plans here :

Old Posted Mar 23, 2024, 5:21 PM

This is great. I remember the first alignment and it was a mess. The developer wanted to put another light on the highway and thankfully the province said no. Will be nice to see Valleyview and Dallas finally linked. Curious if that pedestrian overpass to the beach is still happening at Orchard walk? The beach it would link to is such a hidden gem.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia