HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Sep 28, 2016, 8:13 PM

A feasibility study for the gondolas will be conducted by Texas A&M and paid for by the city, Cap Metro and CTRMA.

https://communityimpact.com/austin/n...ibility-study/

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2016, 10:25 PM
7th Gen Central Texan

I don't A&M doing anything for the City of Austin. They hate Austin.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2016, 10:38 PM
7th Gen Central Texan

If this was mentioned, I missed it. That vote on I-35 aesthetics is done and concept 1 won. It's the one that mimics the capitol building. I voted for it.

http://ftp.dot.state.tx.us/pub/txdot...esentation.pdf

Old Posted Sep 28, 2016, 11:17 PM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver -> Austin
When will we know about the downtown section being depressed versus them being elevated?

Old Posted Sep 29, 2016, 1:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The ATX View Post
A feasibility study for the gondolas will be conducted by Texas A&M and paid for by the city, Cap Metro and CTRMA.

Not just "gondolas"

"Staff requests Board direction as to whether the Mobility Authority should participate in a feasibility assessment for urban cable in Central Texas similar to the concept presented by Wire One Austin at the September 7, 2016 Board Meeting. "

similar to the Wire One. So long-distance, over existing roadway right of way. Maybe presupposing south 1st, but I can't tell that exactly.

In other words, none of the actual advantages of gondolas.

http://www.mobilityauthority.com/abo...ing-agenda.php

As I said before, a complete waste of taxpayer resources.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2016, 2:14 PM
constructor extrodinaire!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lzppjb View Post
I don't A&M doing anything for the City of Austin. They hate Austin.
Except for the fact that after Houston, Austin has the most A&M grads of any city in Texas. Will Wynn, a champion of downtown Austin, and from what I gather is fairly celebrated, is an A&M grad. Jus' sayin.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2016, 2:54 PM
World Traveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novacek View Post
As I said before, a complete waste of taxpayer resources.
Right, but what would our government do all day if not waste our taxes?

Old Posted Sep 29, 2016, 8:24 PM
Representing the ATX!!!

My only question regarding a gondola system is will it be in use during strong storms or high winds? What about people already in the gondolas when high winds hit? I'm assuming that there will be an early warning system in place to ensure a situation like that is unlikely. What if the power goes out due to lightning?

I'll just consolidate all those questions. Will the gondolas be shut down every time bad weather hits or is that something the study will take into consideration?

Old Posted Sep 29, 2016, 9:14 PM

Quote:

These people are nuts, meanwhile in Phoenix voters will decide on a 31.5 billion dollar transportation bond.....

http://www.azcentral.com/story/news/...ties/91225414/

Old Posted Sep 29, 2016, 9:39 PM
Member since 2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by nixcity View Post
These people are nuts, meanwhile in Phoenix voters will decide on a 31.5 billion dollar transportation bond.....

http://www.azcentral.com/story/news/...ties/91225414/
There is a BIG difference in asking citizens to approve a plan which would increase the sales tax (Phoenix) and one in which asks it's citizens to increase their own, personal property tax (Austin).

In any case, $31B is huge. Their government would not bring it forward for a vote unless there was a rather large chance that it could pass. Furthermore, it's a vision. It is a $31B plan to be implemented out over the coming 30+ years period. I applaud their visionary plan. Austin seems to love going in circles...chasing it's own tail.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2016, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenBoot View Post
There is a BIG difference in asking citizens to approve a plan which would increase the sales tax (Phoenix) and one in which asks it's citizens to increase their own, personal property tax (Austin).

In any case, $31B is huge. Their government would not bring it forward for a vote unless there was a rather large chance that it could pass. Furthermore, it's a vision. It is a $31B plan to be implemented out over the coming 30+ years period. I applaud their visionary plan. Austin seems to love going in circles...chasing it's own tail.
You know, the Phoenix area built a pretty big freeway system (that's free as no tolls) from scratch starting in the early 90s. All they had prior to that were two interstates, IH10 running east to west, and IH17 running north to Flagstaff. The new roads were built with a special gas tax in Maricopa County. They have a history with this type of funding that worked well in the past. Still $31B is really, really "Yuge", so who knows how the voters will react. It would be nice if the Texas legislature gave local governments the right to set their own sales tax rates to raise revenue for transportation projects. I guess the fact that more than 2/3rd of Arizona's population lives in Maricopa County makes all the difference.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2016, 3:48 AM

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by austlar1 View Post
It would be nice if the Texas legislature gave local governments the right to set their own sales tax rates to raise revenue for transportation projects. I guess the fact that more than 2/3rd of Arizona's population lives in Maricopa County makes all the difference.
Texas has set a maximum sales tax rate of 8.25%, yet only collects 6.25% itself. That leaves 2% for cities to collect and use as they wish. 1% every city can charge for its general revenues, and another 1% for special uses. CapMetro already collects 1% from Austin.

If Austin needs to collect more revenues to fund more programs, there are other taxes it can use; property, fees for permits, rental car and hotel room taxes, parking fees, electricity rates, telephone taxes, cable taxes, water and sewage rates - this list can go on and on. It's too easy to suggest raising sales taxes higher when other taxes and fees can be raised higher instead.

TXDOT could use an increase rate for fuels, the 20 cents per gallon for both gasoline and diesel doesn't raise enough to meet present needs. And USDOT could also raise its 18.4 cents per gallon for gasoline and 24.4 cents per gallon for diesel. I just wouldn't want both levels of government to raise their fuel taxes simultaneously - that would be a huge hit to the trucking industry. I suggest it's the fuel tax that needs to be increased, not the sales tax.

Last edited by electricron; Sep 30, 2016 at 12:11 PM.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2016, 1:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by electricron View Post
If Austin needs to collect more revenues to fund more programs, there are other taxes it can use; property, fees for permits, rental car and hotel room taxes, parking fees, electricity rates, telephone taxes, cable taxes, water and sewage rates - this list can go on and on. It's too easy to suggest raising sales taxes higher when other taxes and fees can be raised higher instead.
Most of these taxes/fees can't be raised higher, or are severely limited in application.

I think we may be maxed on hotel tax rates. And the money that brings in has limits on what it can be used for (though the council started looking at what they could do within those limits).

electricity/water is a complete nonstarter. They actually had to _lower_ those rates recently, remember. They're 1) regulated by the public utilities commission and 2) service non-Austin residents that scream about even paying their fair share.

I'm of course always in favor of increasing the cost of parking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by electricron View Post
TXDOT could use an increase rate for fuels, the 20 cents per gallon for both gasoline and diesel doesn't raise enough to meet present needs. And USDOT could also raise its 18.4 cents per gallon for gasoline and 24.4 cents per gallon for diesel. I just wouldn't want both levels of government to raise their fuel taxes simultaneously - that would be a huge hit to the trucking industry. I suggest it's the fuel tax that needs to be increased, not the sales tax.
I'd definitely be in favor of raising these, but I don't buy that it would be a huge hit to the trucking industry.

Both the fed and state could raise rates by .20 immediately, and it would still be cheaper than what it cost a year or so ago.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2016, 6:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novacek View Post
Most of these taxes/fees can't be raised higher, or are severely limited in application.

I think we may be maxed on hotel tax rates. And the money that brings in has limits on what it can be used for (though the council started looking at what they could do within those limits).

electricity/water is a complete nonstarter. They actually had to _lower_ those rates recently, remember. They're 1) regulated by the public utilities commission and 2) service non-Austin residents that scream about even paying their fair share.

I'm of course always in favor of increasing the cost of parking.

I'd definitely be in favor of raising these, but I don't buy that it would be a huge hit to the trucking industry.

Both the fed and state could raise rates by .20 immediately, and it would still be cheaper than what it cost a year or so ago.

You know oil works within a market, right? Its not static.

If you raise it .20 sure its cheaper than it was a year ago but when prices go back up again it will be .20 more..no matter how you look at it.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2016, 8:11 PM

Just drove down Mopac. They have A LOT of work to do. Anyone know what the latest schedule is for completion?

Old Posted Oct 10, 2016, 11:02 PM
Representing the ATX!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speculator View Post
Just drove down Mopac. They have A LOT of work to do. Anyone know what the latest schedule is for completion?
You know, I can't stand the color they chose for the sound walls. It looks like what you would see in Phoenix. Besides, I was under the impression that they were gonna plant native climbing vines.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2016, 1:43 AM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver -> Austin
Can someone take pictures of the color? I'm living afar now.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2016, 1:55 AM
Meh

Old Posted Oct 14, 2016, 8:14 PM

They should build a train overpass at the intersection. And then run a light rail line either on the same track or one next to it:

http://kxan.com/2016/10/14/stalled-t...-intersection/

Last edited by Flatiron; Oct 14, 2016 at 8:15 PM. Reason: wrong link

Old Posted Oct 15, 2016, 10:38 PM

Part of the new Mopac Express lane opened today. Was gonna hop on it for $0.25 but needed to get off before Parmer. Looks pretty good, too bad final completion will be years late.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin