HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Oct 18, 2023, 9:09 PM

My daughter had her eye on McGill. May need to reconsider that as an option, sadly.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2023, 11:43 PM
Explorateur urbain

Quote:
Originally Posted by samne View Post
My daughter had her eye on McGill. May need to reconsider that as an option, sadly.
Or… she can move to Quebec and get a job for one year, which would get her qualified for the “local” tuition fees. She’d then save tens of thousands of dollars.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2023, 1:33 AM

Carleton University, Ottawa.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley613 View Post

Old Posted Oct 19, 2023, 5:47 AM
Mooderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by begratto View Post
Or… she can move to Quebec and get a job for one year, which would get her qualified for the “local” tuition fees. She’d then save tens of thousands of dollars.
Stop talking nonsense, begratto. What kind of english speaking person would live in Queb..

oh.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2023, 12:59 PM
The Vomit Bag.

What is that ditch alongside Carleton?

Old Posted Oct 19, 2023, 1:01 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
What is that ditch alongside Carleton?
The Rideau Canal.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2023, 1:15 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
The Rideau Canal.
well, that is what I first thought, but the water level looks extremely low. Maybe it is just the camera angle? It doesn't look navigable for small boats.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2023, 1:22 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
well, that is what I first thought, but the water level looks extremely low. Maybe it is just the camera angle? It doesn't look navigable for small boats.
There are locks right at Carleton and the water level can be raised or lowered considerably.

During navigation season the water level is almost right up to just under the level of the land.

For the skating season it is lowered considerably though not quite this low.

Not sure what was going on here.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2023, 1:58 PM
sick transit, gloria

When I went to Carleton they often seemed to drain the canal completely in October before partially refilling it for winter skating.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2023, 2:05 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by niwell View Post
When I went to Carleton they often seemed to drain the canal completely in October before partially refilling it for winter skating.
Betcha that's what is happening here.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2023, 3:16 PM

Simon Fraser University has announced that it is pursuing funding with the Province to build its new medical school campus in downtown Surrey. The Province is already 100% on board with the creation of the med school, so this is a case of Treasury approving funding for construction of a physical building. The site that is being pursued is located in the City-owned 'Centre Block' parcel located between SFU's existing downtown Surrey campus and the City of Surrey's main public library and City Hall, and adjacent to the Surrey Central SkyTrain Station.

The SFU medical school is the first new medical school to be created in Western Canada in the last 50 years and it will take its first intake of MD students in 2026. The new campus won't be ready in that time frame, so interim facilities will be utilized as required. The City has promised to do all it can to expedite the approval and entitlement for the new med school campus.

https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/sfu-...g-centre-block

Old Posted Oct 19, 2023, 3:41 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

When I started med school in 1979, there were two med schools in Atlantic Canada.

- Dalhousie University (Halifax)
- Memorial University (St. John's)

In the first decade of the 21st century, NB created two satellite medical campuses in the province.

- Universite de Moncton (Moncton), satellite of Universite de Sherbrooke
- UNBSJ (Saint John), satellite of Dalhousie University.

During the current health care crisis, two additional medical school campuses are being rushed into the pipeline. Whether this is a good idea or not is debatable.

- Cape Breton University (Sydney), satellite of Dalhousie University
- UPEI (Charlottetown), satellite of Memorial University

In the latter two cases, the new campuses will be in smaller cities which do not have tertiary level medical centres. The full breadth of specialties will not be in place at either of these two campuses, and there will be heavy reliance on tele-education for teaching. I do not think this to be a good idea. I think the quality of education will suffer. It would have been better to increase funding and resources at existing medical campuses in Halifax, but, at the same time, increasing clinical placements and residency positions in PEI and Cape Breton.

It is quite true that medical graduate tend to like to stay in places where they were trained, but, this decision is usually made based on clinical experiences during clerkship and residency. This is why I think they would have gotten more bang for the buck by expanding clinical placements and residencies rather than further fragmenting the medical school experience.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2023, 7:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
Carleton University, Ottawa.
Quote:
It is the Rideau Canal. From Google Maps:

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Ca...cTB6?entry=ttu

Old Posted Jan 12, 2024, 5:22 AM

Queen’s is apparently in significant financial trouble.

https://globalnews.ca/news/10220634/...ial-situation/

Old Posted Jan 12, 2024, 1:58 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by acottawa View Post
Queen’s is apparently in significant financial trouble.

https://globalnews.ca/news/10220634/...ial-situation/
Wow. that is a big surprise. The Ontario universities have been hurting enormously from the tuition slash and freeze (6 years running now, despite a high inflationary environment), but Queens is like UWO: an old, storied, top-shelf institution with (I thought) legacy endowments, ability to charge premiums for foreign students, etc.

Here at UWO, one of our affiliates (Brescia, known as Canada's sole Women's-only university) is being absorbed by UWO. Brescia was in considerable financial straights, and the writing was on the wall. They made a brave decision to accept absorption, rather than face the ugly alternatives.

If Queen's is in trouble, I reckon that many second-/third- rate Ontario universities are really in a financial pickle.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2024, 1:59 PM
The Vomit Bag.

'Deficit is an acute problem': Queen's University eyes drastic cutbacks, addresses students

Quote:
"It is true that the university is facing significant financial challenges. Costs have exceeded revenue to an unsustainable level with an operating budget deficit for the current fiscal year 2023-24 initially projected to be over $62 million. This is ten percent of our total operating budget of slightly more than $600 million," read the letter. 
Queen’s University eyes drastic cutbacks to keep its doors open

‘Queen’s could cease to exist if we don’t deal with this issue:’ faculty and staff remain skeptical

Operating grants from the province have declined by 31 per cent since 2006-2007 after accounting for inflation. Eight Ontario universities ran deficits in 2021-22. Ontario's per-student funding to universities is 57 per cent of the average funding provided by all other provinces.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2024, 2:04 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2024, 2:06 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2024, 2:18 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Laurentian University in Sudbury already went technically bankrupt a couple of years ago.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2024, 2:58 PM

I think both UofW and WLU are encountering big deficits. The provincial underfunding and the tuition freeze are really starting to bite.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada