HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Mar 26, 2009, 3:57 AM
Dreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAFS View Post
Council voted 14-2 in favour - only Gerbasi and Smith vote against it.

GOOD NEWS! On a cold and snowy "spring" day.
Both friends of mine ... doesn't mean I agree with them though!

Old Posted Mar 26, 2009, 4:10 AM

I'm a little surprised Orlikow didn't vote against it. Sounds like so far he is toeing the company line. I wonder if Paul Hesse would've supported it.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2009, 10:49 AM
Density and complexity

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatlander View Post
I'm a little surprised Orlikow didn't vote against it. Sounds like so far he is toeing the company line. I wonder if Paul Hesse would've supported it.
Probably not, because he probably would not have won.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2009, 4:05 AM
Capitalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by metonymy View Post
Oh my ... BIG SURPRISE!!! ... the 1950's committee of lost souls. Leaders of the anti-development clan strikes again. The two most resistant people to change I think I have ever seen. What a waste of council seats, but the two best reasons to limit councilers to 2 or 3 terms max, as these two coundn't come up with a descent idea between them. New jobs as Walmart greeters awaits.

Last edited by newflyer; Mar 30, 2009 at 4:59 AM.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2009, 4:11 AM
Capitalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatlander View Post
I'm a little surprised Orlikow didn't vote against it. Sounds like so far he is toeing the company line.
Or .. maybe, just maybe.. he's among the vast majority of Winnipegers who actually think this is a great project for the city. Who knows he may actually support development and job creation. ... or he likes Swedish furniture.

Shocker huh.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2009, 4:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newflyer View Post
Or .. maybe, just maybe.. he's among the vast majority of Winnipegers who actually think this is a great project for the city. Who knows he may actually support development and job creation. ... or he likes Swedish furniture.

Shocker huh.
I think he just likes Swedish furniture.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2009, 10:05 PM
Portage & Main 50 below

The Winnipeg Sun decided to have some fun with Winnipeggers and ran this as a front page story today.

I thought you guys might find it amusing..

Greener pastures
Saskatoon poised to steal our Ikea development

By TOM BRODBECK | Winnipeg Sun - April 1, 2009

Will opposition in Winnipeg force Ikea to relocate proposed store to Saskatchewan? (Sun Media Photo Illustration) Plans to bring an Ikea store to Winnipeg as part of an ambitious mega-retail development along Kenaston Boulevard have hit a major roadblock, the Winnipeg Sun has learned.

And the Swedish furniture giant is now rethinking whether Winnipeg is the right location for the company's planned Prairie expansion.

Area residents and several social activist groups opposed to the plan are planning a number of legal challenges to block -- or at least delay -- the proposed Tuxedo Yards Redevelopment.

And that delay could scuttle the entire deal, sources at city hall say.

"This is very disappointing," the source said. "This will put the entire project in serious jeopardy."

Letter of the law

The groups claim recent changes to Plan Winnipeg that were required to give the project the green light were made illegally because a number of steps -- including a lack of proper notice for public hearings -- were ignored.

"This has to do with process and it has to do with following the letter of the law," said Ned Stevenson, who heads the newly formed group Citizens for Accountable Urban Planning. "You can't just throw all the rules out the window because some big corporation wants to come into your city and sell furniture." The group, along with several other petitioners, are planning a series of court injunctions this week to block the architectural and environmental assessment phases of the plan, which were scheduled to begin next month now that city council has approved the project.

"We're not against development but we object to the city violating due process," said Stevenson. "City hall has suspended its own rules, rammed this down our throats and we're taking a stand on it."

Sources at city hall say the legal challenges represent a significant threat to the project.

"Ikea's corporate culture is such that they don't like controversy and they don't like community opposition," said the city hall source. "They're not used to this kind of push-back -- they're usually greeted with open arms." Ikea has been eyeing a Prairie expansion for several years in order to better penetrate the western Canadian market.

Both Winnipeg and Saskatoon were identified as possible locations. Ikea selected Winnipeg because of its greater density.

However, a booming Saskatchewan economy has improved Saskatoon's standing in the competition for an Ikea store.

Also, the City of Saskatoon has offered the retail giant a number of financial incentives, including property tax exemptions and employment training grants.

"There's been no opposition whatsoever to an Ikea in Saskatoon," the city hall source said. "Unlike in Winnipeg, they've rolled out the red carpet for them." Company officials could not be reached for comment.

However, several city councillors say privately they plan to meet with CAUP and other disgruntled groups to try to address their concerns and persuade them to drop their legal challenges.

"Ikea can go into any city in North America that it wants," said one city councillor on condition of anonymity. "They've picked this city and now -- in typical Winnipeg fashion -- we're going to delay this thing so long that they're going to pack up their briefcases and start planning for a Saskatoon development."

Stevenson denies his group is trying to scuttle the Ikea deal. He says their objective is simply to play a good old-fashioned April Fool's joke on readers.

"We're not against Ikea," said Stevenson. "It's just that today is April 1st and we thought this would be a good April Fool's joke." Gotcha.

Send your complaints to wpgsun.letters@sunmedia.ca

---

NOT AGAIN!

If the proposed Ikea development actually does move to Saskatoon, it'll be the latest in a series of things our formerly have-not neighbours to the west have stolen from us in recent years.

- Back in July, Saskatoon and Regina were selected to host the 2010 World Junior Hockey Championship, beating out a joint bid by Winnipeg and Brandon.

- Who can forget the 2007 Grey Cup, when the Saskatchewan Roughriders beat the Winnipeg Blue Bombers 23-19 on the strength of a blown interception call by the refs. Not that we're still bitter, though.

- In statistics released yesterday, Saskatoon and Regina have the fastest-growing economies in the country. The city they beat out for the title? Winnipeg, of course.

- Even our status as Canada's violent crime capital isn't safe. In a recent report by Maclean's magazine, Winnipeg was rated the second most dangerous city in Canada, just behind -- you guessed it -- Saskatoon.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2009, 10:06 PM
Portage & Main 50 below

Winnipeg loses Ikea to Saskatoon?

TheStarPhoenix.com -April 1, 2009

Saskatoon is the butt of an April Fool’s joke in Winnipeg.

The Winnipeg Sun reported Wednesday morning that the Ikea slated for that city will be moved to Saskatoon, part of the annual April Fool’s joke from the newspaper. The story was titled: “Will opposition in Winnipeg force Ikea to relocate proposed store to Saskatchewan?”

“Both Winnipeg and Saskatoon were identified as possible locations,” the story says.

“Ikea selected Winnipeg because of its greater density. However, a booming Saskatchewan economy has improved Saskatoon’s standing in the competition for an Ikea store. Also, the City of Saskatoon has offered the retail giant a number of financial incentives, including property tax exemptions and employment training grants.”

The story goes on, quoting a city hall source: “There's been no opposition whatsoever to an Ikea in Saskatoon . . . Unlike in Winnipeg, they’ve rolled out the red carpet for them.”

A list of things Saskatchewan has beaten out Winnipeg for are listed in a sidebar to the story, including the World Junior Hockey Championships, the 2007 Grey Cup, the fastest-growing economy in the country, and, of course, the most dangerous city in the country.

“Even our status as Canada’s violent crime capital isn't safe. In a recent report by Maclean’s magazine, Winnipeg was rated the second most dangerous city in Canada, just behind — you guessed it — Saskatoon.”

At the end of the story, the joke is revealed when the head of a newly formed local group says they’re not against Ikea but “it’s just that today is April 1st and we thought this would be a good April Fool’s joke.”

© Copyright (c) The StarPhoenix

Old Posted Apr 2, 2009, 1:57 AM
Closed account

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by metonymy View Post
Both jerks...............Anti-Everything...............Santa and his little elf.

Two people that are very bad for Winnipeg.

Old Posted May 2, 2009, 7:21 PM
Portage & Main 50 below

Cyclist group pushes for small fixes to IKEA development

By: Bartley Kives | Winnipeg Free Press - 2/05/2009 10:12 AM | Comments: 1
A COMMUTER-CYCLIST lobby group wants to change two tiny sections of the massive IKEA pro­ject city council approved in March.

Bike to the Future has appealed a pair of zoning provisions contained in the Tuxedo Yards Redevelopment, a $400-million project that may even­tually see 1.5 square million feet of commercial space rise on what's now industrial land alongside Sterling Lyon Parkway west of Kenaston Boulevard.

On March 25, council voted 14-2 in favour of the complex proposal, which includes an amendment to the city's long-term planning blueprint, zoning variances, land subdivisions, a street closing and a $26.5-million develop­ment agreement with Winnipeg's Fair­weather Properties and IKEA Canada.

While Bike to the Future does not op­pose the project, the group wants to see more bicycle-parking spaces located at the 350,000-square-foot IKEA store that will anchor the project and also wants to amend the site design to reduce what it claims is a high potential for colli­sions between cars and bicycles where the existing bike-and-pedestrian trail alongside Sterling Lyon Parkway cross­es future motor-vehicle access points.

"With all the private access they're putting through the development, you'll be stopping three or four times on the bike path, whereas now you're stopping once," said Mark Cohoe, a Bike to the Future director. His group claims the existing site design creates the poten­tial for "right-hook accidents," which are caused when right-turning motor vehicles collide with bicycles heading straight down a parallel bike route.

That potential could be cut by con­struction of four raised crossings that may cost up to $10,000 each, Cohoe said.

Bike to the Future also claims the IKEA store, which may be completed by 2011, needs more than 30 bicycle­parking spots for visitors and would like them closer to the front of the store.

Winnipeg's MMM Group, the consult­ant representing the developer, said 50 stalls at the site are more than enough for bike traffic to the furniture store. But the firm is more than willing to dis­cuss the overall site plan with Bike to the Future, spokesman Paul McNeill said.

The appeal is slated for Tuesday mor­ning's meeting of city council's prop­erty and development committee.

bartley.kives@freepress.mb.ca

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comments
Posted byunder Mifflin

May 2, 2009 at 2:08 PM
So this cyclist 'killing zone' only extends a few hundred meters around the store?

Ahem. Where are these cyclists coming from ? Do they just appear out of thin air a few blocks from the Ikea ?

Anyone who rides their bike from Transcona to the Ikea just to buy a 50 cent mixing spoon is crazy anyways.

Report abusive comment

Old Posted May 2, 2009, 9:58 PM

^Raised crossings would be great not just for safety reasons, but because it is annoying as hell to have to stop all the time for cars when you're biking or rollerblading. And I have issues stopping quickly on rollerblades haha

Old Posted May 3, 2009, 7:07 AM
BANNED

I would love to see the Ikea store built closer to downtown, or even occupy some floors of the Bay building, but then parking will become an issue.

Old Posted May 3, 2009, 8:20 PM

I think us Winnipeggers and anti-suburbians will just have to come to grips with the fact that IKEA has always been a suburban, giant parking lot type of outlet store. That IS their game. Asking for an IKEA downtown is like asking Costco to set up shop in portage place. It's just not happening.

Old Posted May 3, 2009, 8:22 PM

^Costco has developed urban formats in Vancouver. But you're right it will be a long time before IKEA does that. A better example would be Walmart I suppose.

Old Posted May 4, 2009, 1:22 AM

^So has home depot.

Old Posted May 4, 2009, 2:30 AM

^Yes and Canadian Tire, and Future Shop, and Safeway, and Save Ons (BC and Alb.), Best Buy, and Toys R Us. It was just an example really and don't need another example on the same thing.

Sorry.

Old Posted May 4, 2009, 1:15 PM
Dynamic Positivity!

Quote:
Originally Posted by edmontonenthusiast View Post
^Costco has developed urban formats in Vancouver. But you're right it will be a long time before IKEA does that. A better example would be Walmart I suppose.
The Costco wouldn't be in downtown Vancouver had it not been for the 900 condos built on top of it along with the thousands of condos surrounding it.

Asking Costco/IKEA/HomeDepot/BestBuy to move into Portage Place is different because the urban population of Winnipeg is MUCH smaller. However should the pads ontop of Portage Place see the construction of 400-500 condo units, then we might see some change in Portage Place.

Old Posted May 4, 2009, 1:16 PM

i think this biking group is just chirping to gain some press. how many are trully gonna bike to ikea to have breakfast or buy a new spatula? I hope lots and making it more accessible will help but in the end I truly doubt many will.

Old Posted May 4, 2009, 9:52 PM

if they did build it downtown it would probably be smaller and not offer the entire range

they have smaller stores in the UK and they don't offer everything

it might work as a secondary location there was talk of IKEA opening a smaller store in downtown vancouver not too long ago

Old Posted May 4, 2009, 9:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags_in_the_peg View Post
i think this biking group is just chirping to gain some press. how many are trully gonna bike to ikea to have breakfast or buy a new spatula? I hope lots and making it more accessible will help but in the end I truly doubt many will.
i can see them lugging home their besta

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan