HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jan 4, 2009, 12:40 AM
Movin' on up

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ajs View Post
Lynch-mob justice

http://www.winnipegsun.com/news/winn...06746-sun.html
Vigilantes gloat online about beating car thief
By ROSS ROMANIUK, SUN MEDIA

Last Updated: 3rd January 2009, 2:04am

One of the photos posted of the man who was allegedly beaten as a suspected car thief. The Sun has obscured his identity. (Winnipegheights.com)
An apparent case of vigilantism -- with photographs of the incident posted online -- has prompted city police to take a close look at the response by several St. Boniface citizens to a series of attempted vehicle break-ins.
Police said yesterday that investigators will probe a New Year's Day confrontation that resulted in images being posted online of a 21-year-old man bloody and bruised on the ground and surrounded by several people -- some of whom had beaten him as they emerged from a Horace Street house party.
The incident was described on the Internet message board WinnipegHeights.com, with some of the people involved -- mostly anonymous -- proudly discussing what happened.
"Now your first thought when seeing the pics of the guy bleeding is that we gave him a beating he'll never forget, but that would be illegal," one man wrote.
He said he noticed someone breaking into a friend's car up the block about 1:30 a.m. that day. After running back to the house to call his friend, the man said he returned to find the would-be thief trying to break into his own running vehicle, with his wife and two-year-old child inside. A struggle ensued.
"He must have 'fallen' in the struggle and smashed his face into our boots," the man added in the online thread, dubbed "us 1 -- dirty indian thief 0".
The man said he wanted to dump water on the injured man but was restrained by neighbours, and that someone had a rope and was "going to put it around his throat and drag him down to the river."
The thread, which has since been removed from the website, contained at least one other racial slur. In a separate thread called "Heights Is Famous", members complained the media was trying to turn the incident into a racial issue.
Others who were there that morning added posts that pointed to their pride and amusement regarding the incident.
"Haha my knuckles are on ice this morning ...," wrote Rahim, who later spoke to the Winnipeg Sun.
"It's pretty much the definition of a vigilante attack, but I wouldn't say it was much of an attack," Rahim said, adding he uses only one name.
He said up to about five men surrounded the alleged would-be thief and a few of them struck him before police responded.
"Most of the people there, though, were circling the guy to keep him from getting away," Rahim said. "At one point, he tried to tackle one of the guys."
Two photos of the bloodied man lying on the ground were also posted on the website.
He was later taken away by officers, questioned and eventually released because of a lack of evidence.
Const. Jason Michalyshen said officers will take a closer took at the actions of the residents.
"We're going to be investigating that further -- about the pictures and just the whole incident itself," he said.
Rick Linden, a University of Manitoba criminology professor, said citizens walk a fine legal line when confronting and holding a suspect.

I'm sorry, but the guy had it coming to him. And for all those who are going to play the race card; save it. This could have been a white, black, asian or blue cookie monster and he still would have deserved it. I have no sympathy for this scum. If the justice system isn't going to do anything, I guess I'll have to defend my property myself.

A strong message needs to be sent to criminal who think they can get away with anything; people who have had enough will fight back.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2009, 1:39 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Old Posted Jan 5, 2009, 3:22 PM
The Loyal Opposition

On CTV National News yesterday, this was the third story (after Isreal/Gaza and the horrible weather across the country).

The Human Rights Museum sod turning ceremony was the second last story (before the feel-good story to end the newscast) on Dec. 19th.

My point, which I know I've made before, is that the ugly stories out of Winnipeg will forever overshadow things like the CMRH, and ultimately, Winnipeg's reputation will always be crap until our serious crime problem improves substantially. This is why I disagree with those who contend that such projects will improve Winnipeg's reputation on the national stage.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2009, 3:34 PM
the first stamp is free

^ That may be true, however the National media seems to only take a real interest in Winnipeg stories when they are weather, crime or "off-beat" kind of stories, everything else is igored. Calgary started the new year with four murders in one day, and yet I didn't hear anything about that in the news. One would be car-thief gets tuned up in Winnipeg, and all of a sudden it's national news.

Even stories about the opening of one of the most efficient office towers in the country will start out with Winnipeg weather "horror" stories leading into the story about the building and then ending with some idiot's sound bite about downtown crime and a lack of parking.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2009, 4:30 PM
I am a typical

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greco Roman View Post
people who have had enough will fight back.
But that's illegal. I have no tolerance for vigilante justice. Can I fight back against them?

Old Posted Jan 5, 2009, 6:41 PM
Movin' on up

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid View Post
But that's illegal. I have no tolerance for vigilante justice. Can I fight back against them?
Sarcasm aside, if I saw someone messing with my property, and especially if my family was in harms way, you damn rights I'm gonna do something. There are too many loopholes in our laws that let criminals get away with murder, and I'm sorry, but I have a right to protect my family and property.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2009, 7:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greco Roman View Post
Sarcasm aside, if I saw someone messing with my property, and especially if my family was in harms way, you damn rights I'm gonna do something. There are too many loopholes in our laws that let criminals get away with murder, and I'm sorry, but I have a right to protect my family and property.
i agree 100%. one of the daycare kids was causing issues with my daughter that was causing her nightmares, and I was borderline ready to ring this kids parents with my fists. the situation was able to be resolved (so far) and the meds they have me on seem to be working it's not about vigilantism as much as it is simply protecting your family or someone else family

Old Posted Jan 5, 2009, 7:41 PM
The Loyal Opposition

Just some typical Winnipeg news stories in today's Online Free Press:

Man charged following incident near downtown bus stop

By: Staff Writer
12:19 PM

A man has been charged in connection with an incident on Jan. 3 near a downtown bus stop where an intoxicated male wielding a knife was verbally aggressive and threatening toward a 55-year-old father and his three children.

Trent Chubb, 20, of Winnipeg has been charged with assault with a weapon and possession of a weapon for a dangerous purpose.

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/bre..._bus_stop.html

Man charged in stabbing, bear-spray attack

11:44 AM

Winnipeg police have made an arrest in a stabbing and bear-spray incident on Sherbrook Street last week.

Police were called to the 500 block on Sherbrook Street after reports a man had bear-sprayed several victims before stabbing a 29-year-old male man in the upper body. The victim was transported to hospital in critical condition but was upgraded to stable and is expected to recover.

Police announced Monday that Curtis Wayne Henderson of Winnipeg has been charged with numerous offences including assault with a weapon, aggravated assault, assault causing bodily harm, uttering threats to cause death or bodily harm, unauthorized possession of a weapon, possession of a weapon for a dangerous purpose and a number of court-order breaches in connection with the incident.

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/bre...ay_attack.html

Robbers attack bus passengers, driver

12:06 PM | Comments (0)

Winnipeg Police are seeking information about the identity of three suspects involved in assaults on a transit bus on Saturday.

At approximately 11:20 p.m., a group boarded an eastbound bus at Ellice Avenue and Wall Street and proceeded to the rear of the bus where they demanded money from a number of passengers and assaulted two males, aged 16 and 38. The male bus driver then demanded the suspects stop, but was also assaulted before they fled the bus. The driver was treated in hospital for minor injuries while the two other victims did not require medical attention.

The first suspect is described as a male in his 20s, 5-foot-9, aboriginal in appearance with a slim build, dark wavy hair and wearing a red bandana, a black parka and black pants. The second suspect is described as a male in his 20s, 5-6, aboriginal in appearance with a slim build, shaved head and was wearing a light brown parka while the third suspect is a female, also in her 20s, standing 5-2, aboriginal in appearance with a chubby build.

Descriptions of a number of other suspects allegedly involved in the robberies are not available and the investigation is continuing. Anyone with information regarding the identity of the suspects or the incident is asked to contact investigators at 986-2839 or CrimeStoppers at 786-TIPS.

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/bre...rs_driver.html

Old Posted Jan 5, 2009, 8:11 PM
the first stamp is free

^ what's your deal DowntownWpg? Why are you polluting the "murder's" thread in the Canada section with random samplings of crime in Winnipeg? Isn't there something else you could be doing with your time?

I bet you could find press about three recent crimes in any major city in Canada, so why do you insist on reinforcing stereotypes about Winnipeg on this board? Especially coming from someone who seems to be overly concerned about our "national image"?

Old Posted Jan 5, 2009, 8:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DowntownWpg View Post
Just some typical Winnipeg news stories in today's Online Free Press:
well that's depressing

Old Posted Jan 5, 2009, 8:26 PM
The Loyal Opposition

Lately I've just been getting annoyed by Winnipeg boosters who are of the belief that there is no serious crime problem in this city, and that the CMHR, an NHL Team, IKEA, etc, will somehow improve Winnipeg's reputation.

I couldn't disagree more!

I'm simply forging the link between (downtown) revitalization and Winnipeg's reputation to crime and violence. So many of you have your hearts in the right place, to make Winnipeg a great city with a vibrant downtown... unfortunately, IMO, the popular notion of how to see this dream possible is completely unrealistic.

I make no apologies for warning those who live elsewhere about Winnipeg. The topic turned to reputations, and as such, I had something to say. You won't find me sweeping such problems under the rug!

There is an inferiority complex that Winnipeg boosters have, perhaps at the subconscious level. Nonetheless, the inherent need to impress those who live elsewhere in Canada and defy the Winnipeg stereotypes seems to override any hope of coming to terms with the grave and dismal situation that is plaguing our city.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2009, 8:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew View Post
^ what's your deal DowntownWpg? Why are you polluting the "murder's" thread in the Canada section with random samplings of crime in Winnipeg? Isn't there something else you could be doing with your time?

I bet you could find press about three recent crimes in any major city in Canada, so why do you insist on reinforcing stereotypes about Winnipeg on this board? Especially coming from someone who seems to be overly concerned about our "national image"?

Agree completely! This hardly equals the 4 murders in a single day Calgary has just reported. Yet their always seems to be a disproportionate amount of negative press concerning our city. It's bad enough in the press, but listing off a few random crimes in the murder section that occur almost daily in all Canadian cities makes little sense, but add to the stereotype.

and the "watch your back" comment is shameful, and could really apply anywhere.

Photo Gallery: kengillespie.com
My Photo Blog

Old Posted Jan 5, 2009, 8:39 PM
The Loyal Opposition

Blaming the media is certainly a strategy of any Winnipeg booster! And as I already said, that topic turned to reputations of cities.

Welcome to Winnipeg: WATCH YOUR BACK!

Guess this doesn't pertain to those with selective listening. Yup, nothing to be worried about on our non-suburban streets. Why don't you go take some photos by yourself at nighttime of Selkirk Ave? Your opinion may change.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2009, 8:42 PM
the first stamp is free

^ That's all fine and good. You have your opinion. however I don't think there is a need to post every (non-murder) crime related Winnipeg story in a thread dedicated to murders.

Just because there is crime in this city doesn't mean that you can't look at some of the positives happening lately and feel a little better about the place you live.

If you want to be bitter, please go away in a corner and be bitter by yourself. If you are so angry about crime in this city, and it is such a massive issue in your life, why don't you go and do something about it. Join the police force, become a lawyer, be a vigilante, be Batman, move to Calgary. We have enough forumer's on here highlighting every little thing wrong with this town. We don't need anymore.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2009, 8:45 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

crimes here downtownwpg but its not as bad as it was.... i got a niebor that moved here from chicago they laugh at our "searious crime problem" its not as bad as its made to be its mostly the media twisting things to sell sell sell... the issues at hand though will take generations to sort out..........

Old Posted Jan 5, 2009, 8:48 PM
The Loyal Opposition

I'll admit, am in a bit of a mood today. However, never will I stop talking about crime and violence because it sheds a bad light on Winnipeg.

Nor will I stop highlighting what I think is a problem in Winnipeg because the Lindor Reynolds mentality gets upset by negative press.

That said, I can also recognize when I've made my point.... so I'll end it here.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2009, 8:53 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

lol downtown yea theres crime people forget how bad the 90's were though...

Old Posted Jan 5, 2009, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DowntownWpg View Post

Blaming the media is certainly a strategy of any Winnipeg booster! And as I already said, that topic turned to reputations of cities.

Welcome to Winnipeg: WATCH YOUR BACK!

Guess this doesn't pertain to those with selective listening. Yup, nothing to be worried about on our non-suburban streets. Why don't you go take some photos by yourself at nighttime of Selkirk Ave? Your opinion may change.
Nobody is denying their is a crime problem in Winnipeg as in most Canadian cities. Please don't minimalize my post into that of a naive suburbanite, that blames the media. In my opinion the media over emphasizes the negatives of our community, like most media does. This is nothing new, but seems particularly evident when it comes to Winnipeg..

You are correct about one thing, I am a proud Winnipeg booster, but that doesn't mean I have selective hearing. That is the strategy of a Winnipeg whiner, who doesn't respect others opinions. This is something we need far less of.
And for what it's worth I grew up on Redwood, Magnus (coop housing) and Selkirk Ave. and owned a house on Selkirk until five years ago, don't assume I live in Linden Woods.

Photo Gallery: kengillespie.com
My Photo Blog

Old Posted Jan 6, 2009, 12:53 AM
Portage & Main 50 below

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew View Post
^ That may be true, however the National media seems to only take a real interest in Winnipeg stories when they are weather, crime or "off-beat" kind of stories, everything else is igored. Calgary started the new year with four murders in one day, and yet I didn't hear anything about that in the news. One would be car-thief gets tuned up in Winnipeg, and all of a sudden it's national news.

Even stories about the opening of one of the most efficient office towers in the country will start out with Winnipeg weather "horror" stories leading into the story about the building and then ending with some idiot's sound bite about downtown crime and a lack of parking.
I have also found this to be true.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2009, 1:10 AM
The Loyal Opposition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keng View Post
Nobody is denying their is a crime problem in Winnipeg as in most Canadian cities. Please don't minimalize my post into that of a naive suburbanite, that blames the media. In my opinion the media over emphasizes the negatives of our community, like most media does. This is nothing new, but seems particularly evident when it comes to Winnipeg..

You are correct about one thing, I am a proud Winnipeg booster, but that doesn't mean I have selective hearing. That is the strategy of a Winnipeg whiner, who doesn't respect others opinions. This is something we need far less of.
And for what it's worth I grew up on Redwood, Magnus (coop housing) and Selkirk Ave. and owned a house on Selkirk until five years ago, don't assume I live in Linden Woods.
You're right, and my apologies. Had a bad day, and know it's no excuse. Lately I've been someone who reacts quite strongly to hearing such violent stories, in short, I think that this city is a scary place and am upset that it seems to be getting worse.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan