HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Nov 15, 2017, 5:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigaven View Post
Yeah I don't get their marketing slogans...The one on the other side says something like "all the luxury of the hotel, with none of the guests" or something.
I think the "hotel" sign is a jab at Austin Proper and the "amenities/not people" sign is a jab at the Independent. I believe 5th & West has had a lot more difficulty selling units over the past couple of years compared to The Independent and Austin Proper, so they are constantly trying to differentiate through marketing. I believe the difficulties stem from the location on West 5th which is near loud bars on West 6th. Just a guess, though.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2017, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deerhoof View Post
I think the "hotel" sign is a jab at Austin Proper and the "amenities/not people" sign is a jab at the Independent. I believe 5th & West has had a lot more difficulty selling units over the past couple of years compared to The Independent and Austin Proper, so they are constantly trying to differentiate through marketing. I believe the difficulties stem from the location on West 5th which is near loud bars on West 6th. Just a guess, though.
All the condos you mentioned were in consideration when my wife and I were in the market recently. 5th and West was priced in between the Independent and Austin Proper. One detractor for 5th and West was the lack of any street level retail interaction. There's also no viable street level interaction on the blocks to the south/west/east, which made the decision to not have street level retail even more weird.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2017, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chundercracker View Post
All the condos you mentioned were in consideration when my wife and I were in the market recently. 5th and West was priced in between the Independent and Austin Proper. One detractor for 5th and West was the lack of any street level retail interaction. There's also no viable street level interaction on the blocks to the south/west/east, which made the decision to not have street level retail even more weird.
The Shoal Creek floodplain is the reason for the lack of street level retail in that area.

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2017, 1:13 AM

Quote:
If I remember correctly, there is supposed to be some sort of coffee stand on the 5th St. sidewalk. It won't be connected to the building though.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2017, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The ATX View Post
The Shoal Creek floodplain is the reason for the lack of street level retail in that area.
Can you explain why this is a factor? Seems like there are other business alongside Shoal creek in other parts of downtown.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2017, 9:47 PM

Old Posted Nov 21, 2017, 9:58 PM

Quote:
Can you explain why this is a factor? Seems like there are other business alongside Shoal creek in other parts of downtown.
Businesses in floodplain can exist. But new builds have to have flood proofing features included in the design. One thing such as vents that allow the flow in and out of the structure. Also there is displacement, If you add something into the floodplain you have to account for compensating what you will displace water onto another property to not increase the flood on that property. I think there is a flood gate on this property for the parking garage, would you want your car flooded? The gate is to one prevent water damage and two not alter the flow of the stream as water would pond as such in that location under ground.

Homes on the other hand have to be elevated. The First Finished Floor (FFF) must be 1ft above the floodplain BFE (Base Flood Elevation). For example in the old days home on Lake Travis could be at 714ft, but now must be at 722ft. That's why new homes are all elevated on stilts and businesses can still be on the ground.

There are more details to this of course but that's some basic info.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2017, 3:49 AM

Must be crunch time with this one. It seems to be moving much faster than the Independent now. It appears they are on floor 39 so topping off ceremony must be soon.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2017, 6:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IluvATX View Post
Must be crunch time with this one. It seems to be moving much faster than the Independent now. It appears they are on floor 39 so topping off ceremony must be soon.
I recently got an email from them about the topping off party. If I remember correctly, it is sometime in the first week of December.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2017, 5:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivanwolf View Post
Businesses in floodplain can exist. But new builds have to have flood proofing features included in the design. One thing such as vents that allow the flow in and out of the structure. Also there is displacement, If you add something into the floodplain you have to account for compensating what you will displace water onto another property to not increase the flood on that property. I think there is a flood gate on this property for the parking garage, would you want your car flooded? The gate is to one prevent water damage and two not alter the flow of the stream as water would pond as such in that location under ground.

Homes on the other hand have to be elevated. The First Finished Floor (FFF) must be 1ft above the floodplain BFE (Base Flood Elevation). For example in the old days home on Lake Travis could be at 714ft, but now must be at 722ft. That's why new homes are all elevated on stilts and businesses can still be on the ground.

There are more details to this of course but that's some basic info.
Interesting... thanks for the explanation. I guess it just seems weird that the Independent and Austin Proper have business on their ground floors and both are adjacent to Shoal Creek while 5th and West is further away from Shoal Creek.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2017, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Interesting... thanks for the explanation. I guess it just seems weird that the Independent and Austin Proper have business on their ground floors and both are adjacent to Shoal Creek while 5th and West is further away from Shoal Creek.
Well you can have businesses in the floodplain but flood proofing and breakaway and venting are all things I bet are included in the design of those buildings on the ground floors.

5th & West just went without for what ever reason.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2017, 10:42 PM

Also as for the Independent, only the north corners of the property has floodplain. They could have regraded and worked with FEMA to remove the lot from the floodplain through a letter.

As for 3rd & Shoal and Austin Proper they are similar but they are very high and the structures too could be removed from the floodplain per FEMA letter.

As for 5th and West, it is 100% in the floodplain on all sides. Placing the First Finished Floor high enough likely made it easier for them as they did not need to seek a letter from FEMA on placing retail on the ground, they only needed to flood proof the garage.

Just things to consider about each property.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2017, 12:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deerhoof View Post
I was on the market, and 5th&West was my first choice. But I ended up going with the Independent. Several reasons:
I went to 5&W first, thinking it was cheaper (don't know why), but Independent offered better value
Independent had a better selection of floor plans
The whole sales process at 5&W was kind of off-putting, while the Independent was friendly and straightforward. 5&W only gave a few options that were "currently released", said more would be releasing later at "higher prices". Independent offered me every unit of my selected floor plan that was available at the moment, with clear pricing per floor.
In the end, it wasn't even close.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2017, 11:25 PM

They had their topping out party and hoisted a ceremonial Christmas tree.

https://www.facebook.com/fifthandwest/

Old Posted Dec 8, 2017, 8:46 PM

The webcam was deactivated a couple days ago when it officially topped out. This was the last update:

https://app.oxblue.com/open/616c9323...a4bdab4f4a73e3

Old Posted Dec 11, 2017, 1:12 AM

Topped out.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2017, 2:56 AM

It looks great, but for some reason, they never look tall enough when they finally top out...to me. I always wish for TEN MORE FLOORS

Old Posted Dec 11, 2017, 4:09 AM
World Traveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by the Genral View Post
It looks great, but for some reason, they never look tall enough when they finally top out...to me. I always wish for TEN MORE FLOORS
You know what, you're right! I think 801 Barton Springs could use ten more floors.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2017, 4:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drummer View Post
You know what, you're right! I think 801 Barton Springs could use ten more floors.
EXCEPT

THAT ONE!!!!:

Old Posted Dec 11, 2017, 5:05 AM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver -> Austin
Quote:
Originally Posted by the Genral View Post
EXCEPT

THAT ONE!!!!:
Actually, ten more floors might fix your problem with that one by having had city council kill it in the face of neighborhood opposition.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin