HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jan 22, 2015, 10:32 PM

Great discussion happening here.

I think it is also highly material to include that Chipman has a heavy interest in operations which bring a significant number of top value end hotel nights to the downtown. If Chipman could either directly or indirectly benefit from where those nights are happening he stands to further gain from every aspect of his operations. I have mentioned before how he already benefits from owning leases, operations or both from five downtown restaurant/bars with another two-four on their way. The MTS Centre also recently buffed up their pre-game/event offerings in this exact area too. Add in that CentrePoint includes a parkade and the removal of the MPI surface lot for True North Square.

I saw mentioned on Twitter a comment along these lines: I spent $400 for tickets, $200 for a jersey, $100 for a pre-game meal and drinks, $60 for drinks at the game, $40 for a hat and $10 for parking. Under the model Chipman is pursuing every one of those dollars is going into his account. Multiple that out by the number of home games and other events and you can see how profitable this is.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2015, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryB View Post
Great discussion happening here.

I think it is also highly material to include that Chipman has a heavy interest in operations which bring a significant number of top value end hotel nights to the downtown. If Chipman could either directly or indirectly benefit from where those nights are happening he stands to further gain from every aspect of his operations. I have mentioned before how he already benefits from owning leases, operations or both from five downtown restaurant/bars with another two-four on their way. The MTS Centre also recently buffed up their pre-game/event offerings in this exact area too. Add in that CentrePoint includes a parkade and the removal of the MPI surface lot for True North Square.

I saw mentioned on Twitter a comment along these lines: I spent $400 for tickets, $200 for a jersey, $100 for a pre-game meal and drinks, $60 for drinks at the game, $40 for a hat and $10 for parking. Under the model Chipman is pursuing every one of those dollars is going into his account. Multiple that out by the number of home games and other events and you can see how profitable this is.
This is why every Jets fan needs to look this over. While Chipman is actively pursuing every conceivable angle to put money into his pocket, he's destroying the tax base of the entire area through TIF initiatives he doesn't require while using Centreventure as a blunt object to ensure competition is filtered out before it ever even hits the planning department. Add to this that the operations of the team are being subsidized to the tune of nearly $13MM in taxation rebates every year and it's costing the average citizen more than it ever has to accommodate their empire building.

But we've had this discussion before. The consensus around here was that the Chipmans bringing the Jets here was just so valuable for the identity of the city that we're going to star paying for municipal operations with self-confidence. And when that runs out, all the provincial income tax revenue raised by a few millionaires will cover the rest.

We're good.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2015, 3:58 PM

Certain people have a clear bias against the Chipman's.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2015, 4:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Unknown Poster View Post
Probably those who have to pay for all this largesse - i.e. taxpayers.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2015, 4:32 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

Another analysis, with some humour added.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2015, 4:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Unknown Poster View Post
You. Again.

Forget for a second the scent of a hockey player's jock fresh off a two game roadie. Replace the name Chipman with Shindleman and decide how you'd like to rationalize one over the other.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2015, 5:05 PM

So that special meeting is today at City Hall? Will this finally get blown up with everyones names going public? Or will it be another slime fest.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2015, 5:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
So that special meeting is today at City Hall? Will this finally get blown up with everyones names going public? Or will it be another slime fest.
No confirmation of that meeting as yet that I can see. Not on the city's website, anyway.

Everybody forgot about civic corruption after Macleans called us the most racist city in the country.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2015, 5:37 PM
the first stamp is free

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simplicity View Post
Everybody forgot about civic corruption after Macleans called us the most racist city in the country.
Yes! Tin foil hat time! I love a great conspiracy.

I don't suppose that David Thomson owns or is involved with Macleans...?

edit: I searched myself. They DO own Macleans!

Chipman feels the heat, and gets Thomson to drop the racism story as a diversionary tactic! I mean the article is not exactly (even a minor) feat of journalistic investigation.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2015, 5:52 PM

It would be interesting to be a fly on the wall in these people's office when all this news comes down. Chipman makes a call to his bud, he directs his lowers to drop the racism story. Chipman has a huge grin on his face when the Mayor knee jerk calls a press conference. All is well again.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2015, 5:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew View Post
Yes! Tin foil hat time! I love a great conspiracy.

I don't suppose that David Thomson owns or is involved with Macleans...?

edit: I searched myself. They DO own Macleans!

Chipman feels the heat, and gets Thomson to drop the racism story as a diversionary tactic! I mean the article is not exactly (even a minor) feat of journalistic investigation.
That was a joke. Nobody's talking conspiracy here.

On the other hand, the EPC had called for a special meeting Friday to reveal the option on the land. Where's the meeting? I'd think that's a reasonable question to ask.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2015, 6:01 PM
the first stamp is free

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simplicity View Post
That was a joke. Nobody's talking conspiracy here.

On the other hand, the EPC had called for a special meeting Friday to reveal the option on the land. Where's the meeting? I'd think that's a reasonable question to ask.
I know it was a joke. But I was serious that I like a good conspiracy.

Anyways this is a rather interesting turn of events considering who is involved, timing, etc.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2015, 6:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew View Post
I know it was a joke. But I was serious that I like a good conspiracy.

Anyways this is a rather interesting turn of events considering who is involved, timing, etc.
I'd agree.

There's a whole lot of meaningless navel-gazing and platitude being thrown about when the city was on the verge of something meaningful.

And that's not to suggest the racism issue isn't meaningful, but the city should still be capable of carrying out its day-to-day after a dying national news magazine tells us something we already know.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2015, 6:45 PM
North End Troublemaker

Quote:
Meeting schedule for EPC is up... Looks like they are giving CentreVenture 6 months to have something down or it's going to public bid.

Did Bowman lose his backbone? I know in the land development market 6 months is the blink of an eye, so who knows.

http://www.winnipeg.ca/CLKDMIS/ViewD...onId=&InitUrl=

Old Posted Jan 23, 2015, 6:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveosnyder View Post
Meeting schedule for EPC is up... Looks like they are giving CentreVenture 6 months to have something down or it's going to public bid.

Did Bowman lose his backbone? I know in the land development market 6 months is the blink of an eye, so who knows.

http://www.winnipeg.ca/CLKDMIS/ViewD...onId=&InitUrl=
They have 6 mths to get a development agreement in the works. They have another year from that date to start construction. In the meantime, where's the city's $16MM?

If this passes on Monday, it's a farce. The message is very clear. Do whatever you can to lie, cheat, and manipulate. If you're caught, we're going to put on a good show for the cameras and you'll be able to proceed anyway. And like the Shindico situation, we'll hang a public servant to keep the public satisfied.

Reid Douglas and Deepak Joshi were both completely complicit. But we're absolutely no further ahead just because they've been tapped to shoulder the blame on behalf of many others.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2015, 8:35 PM

If CV is not reporting to EPC today as originally scheduled someone needs to explain publicly. Right now it is looking like a private conversation may have occurred after Wednesday's meeting pointing out explicitly that Chipman is the party that wasn't named at Wednesday's meeting. To have gone from planning to continue to questioning on Friday to giving the unnamed party six months to work with CV is definitely not the transparency people were expecting when Bowman was elected.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2015, 9:36 PM

It appears that True North has confirmed that they wanted the old Carlton Inn site

From CTV

http://winnipeg.ctvnews.ca/centreven...site-1.2206595

Old Posted Jan 26, 2015, 9:57 PM

So is TNSE the saviour in all this? That's how they seem to be spinning it. Stuart Olsen was working on this buyout deal since April 2014 with CV apparently. TNSE signs the option in September 2014.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2015, 10:02 PM

Quote:
So is TNSE the saviour in all this? That's how they seem to be spinning it. Stuart Olsen was working on this buyout deal since April 2014 with CV apparently. TNSE signs the option in September 2014.
Option was contemplated in June 2014, Chipman steps aside July 2014, option is signed September 24th to ensure it can't hit the council floor.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2015, 10:21 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

So the city pays $6MM for the site and gives it to Chipman?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan