HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Jan 20, 2024, 7:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
I've been hearing rumours that things will get cranking on the "Fourth Sister" across the street as soon as the tower crane becomes available from the Third Sister, and the land is no longer being used as a staging area. There will be no delay between the projects. My source says 22 storeys, but, he was uncertain if it was one or two buildings. Other sources are more adamant about a two building project. It could be that Lafford will do the same thing here as he did with the Three Sisters - one building at a time.
There's a large adjacent piece of land that doesn't show any sale records on the govt. property assessment site. I recall it being discussed before that if Lafford acquired it, there would be a sizeable footprint suitable for another major project.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2024, 2:26 AM

Quote:
I've been hearing rumours that things will get cranking on the "Fourth Sister" across the street as soon as the tower crane becomes available from the Third Sister, and the land is no longer being used as a staging area. There will be no delay between the projects. My source says 22 storeys, but, he was uncertain if it was one or two buildings. Other sources are more adamant about a two building project. It could be that Lafford will do the same thing here as he did with the Three Sisters - one building at a time.
I really hope the recent announcements get momentum going for developers to have a bit of competition not solely on the number of storeys, but also on the striking and unique architecture so they can stand out in other ways.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2024, 5:09 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

A very reputable source has come forward and confirmed that the Lafford plan is for two buildings on the old Northumberland Co-op site, across the street from the Three Sisters. They will be called "The Two Brothers." Still some disagreement on the height of the buildings, but, they will be in the 20-22 storey range.

Personally, given the stature of these two buildings, and their relationship to the Three Sisters, I think they should actually be called "The Big Brothers."

Last edited by MonctonRad; Jan 21, 2024 at 6:02 PM.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2024, 5:23 PM

Quote:
A very reputable source has come forward and confirmed that the Lafford plan is for two buildings on the old Co-op garage site, across the street from the Three Sisters. They will be called "The Two Brothers." Still some disagreement on the height of the buildings, but, they will be in the 20-22 storey range.

Personally, given the stature of these two buildings, and their relationship to the Three Sisters, I think they should actually be called "The Big Brothers."
Do you know the orientation? Are they next to each other along Assumption or one behind the other?

Old Posted Jan 21, 2024, 5:30 PM

Assuming we're talking about the right-most lot, I'd assume they'd be along Assumption, given its shape.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2024, 5:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh_cat_eyes View Post
Do you know the orientation? Are they next to each other along Assumption or one behind the other?
Another question: Did Lafford purchase the adjacent lot? Or does he plan to?

Old Posted Jan 21, 2024, 5:32 PM
I Rise Again

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonny golden View Post
Another question: Did Lafford purchase the adjacent lot? Or does he plan to?
I believe that the website only shows purchases for the last 6 months or 12 months? They may have bought that property ahead of time, much earlier on.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2024, 5:43 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
I imagine they would have to be along Assumption. As for the other questions posited above, I have no idea.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2024, 5:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonianSentinel01 View Post
I believe that the website only shows purchases for the last 6 months or 12 months? They may have bought that property ahead of time, much earlier on.
It's actually 30 days. So if something has sold it only takes about a month to show up on the site. Maybe Lafford has an agreement to purchase the lot, but will execute closer to the start of construction. That way he avoids paying the property taxes in the interim.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2024, 5:58 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
It's actually 30 days. So if something has sold it only takes about a month to show up on the site. Maybe Lafford has an agreement to purchase the lot, but will execute closer to the start of construction. That way he avoids paying the property taxes in the interim.
Precisely.

NB Power owns the land (except for the old Northumberland Co-op which Lafford has already purchased), but Lafford is using this whole area a staging area for the Three Sisters. He may be renting it for this purpose with an agreement to purchase at some point in the future. He might be delaying purchase to avoid property tax.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2024, 6:00 PM
I Rise Again

Quote:
Never knew that, thanks for the info. Now maybe I'm wrong, maybe Monctonperson or someone else already looked into it and said Lafford still doesn't own it? I can't remember if anyone in the know said anything about this property or not, but when a buyer purchases a property, the property on the site shows green. It only stays green though for 6 to 12 months I believe and then reverts back to normal, showing no green. Could it be that he purchased this property long ago, maybe when he was acquiring land for the 3 Sisters?

Old Posted Jan 21, 2024, 6:01 PM
I Rise Again

Quote:
Precisely.

NB Power owns the land (except for the old Northumberland Co-op which Lafford has already purchased), but Lafford is using this whole area a staging area for the Three Sisters. He may be renting it for this purpose with an agreement to purchase at some point in the future. He might be delaying purchase to avoid property tax.
Okay thanks.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2024, 1:16 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Photo found on retail talk & share showing foundation work on the third sister.

The tower will be built this year, with finishing work next year.

I suspect that the tower crane will be moved over to the Northumberland Dairy site next spring so that work can begin on the "Two Brothers." Will we see renderings of that project by this summer or this fall???

Old Posted Jan 29, 2024, 5:41 PM

It actually shows that land was sold for almost two years. I bought my house in September 2022 and it is still green in the GeoNB map.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2024, 5:59 PM

Quote:
It actually shows that land was sold for almost two years. I bought my house in September 2022 and it is still green in the GeoNB map.
And the lot next to it does not show any sales. You'd have to think Lafford would need that land if he's going to build 2 x 22 floors!

Old Posted Feb 11, 2024, 8:18 PM
I am the law!

This showed up in the building and correction forum for the SSP Moncton database.

The top of the roof maybe 58 metres high in the elevation drawing however, the ground floor is not 0 metres high. Therefore, the height is not 58 metres tall with 13 foot ceilings.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2024, 5:44 PM

They started exterior cladding on the second sister.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2024, 4:15 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

I drove by the site the other day and was quite impressed with all the activity. They were pouring for the basement and first floor of the Third Sister, and they had a line of cement trucks waiting to be offloaded, and two boom trucks of some kind doing the actual pouring simultaneously.

I must admit to being impressed with the rapid progress on the Tomato Building too.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2024, 4:18 PM

With that momentum, it only makes sense to continue it on across the road for a couple of brothers. Hopefully plans for that will come to light over the next few months.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2024, 1:37 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

A new rumour regarding the "Two Brothers"

Apparently, according to this rumour, they will be 2 x 18 storeys. Also, the final name of this development will not be the "Two Brothers", but rather something which will more elegantly characterize the status of this development along the banks of the Petitcodiac River, and the Moncton riverfront. These will after all be the only apartment towers directly along the riverfront in Moncton.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces