HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted May 7, 2024, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truenorth00 View Post
It's not physically failing. Have you seen their performance though? Everything from ad revenue to participation and new signups are down. The place is full of spam and bigotry now.
Elon Musk told Terf JK Rowling to talk about something else recently

Old Posted May 7, 2024, 12:09 AM

I've been seeing more Vinfast vehicles on the road. I went to Bellingham the other day and saw a Polestar, you don't see many EV's other than Tesla's or Hybrid Toyotas down that part. There is a Tesla charging station at a strip mall on the I5 just past the border but I have ever only seen at most 2 cars using it when passing by. Compared to here where people can be seen lining up at times to get a spot.

Old Posted May 7, 2024, 1:21 AM

Tesla is starting to see sales down in California. And I do think at least some of that has to do with Musk's behaviour.

Old Posted May 7, 2024, 7:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post
Elon Musk told Terf JK Rowling to talk about something else recently
Better or worse than Elon using a burner account on the platform he owns to coach Nick Fuentes on his to spread Nazism on Twitter?

https://twitter.com/Katerqburns/stat...6zZ7gonyg&s=19

I don't know if it's drugs or the apartheid South African in him finally taking over.

Old Posted May 7, 2024, 4:22 PM

Quote:
It's not physically failing. Have you seen their performance though? Everything from ad revenue to participation and new signups are down. The place is full of spam and bigotry now.
Honestly it feels more or less the same to me. It's always been a mess like that. I'm not a fan of blue checks getting priority in the replies, but the same big names I follow still post good content.

Unfortunately it has splintered the market a bit. Now there is threads and mastodon and bluesky. It used to be better with one source.

But go back and look at the cringe takes after he fired so many people at twitter. Real experts in the IT field were convinced the site would crash imminently. They are blinded by hate for Elon.

Old Posted May 7, 2024, 4:49 PM
Volatile Pacivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarrenC12 View Post

But go back and look at the cringe takes after he fired so many people at twitter. Real experts in the IT field were convinced the site would crash imminently. They are blinded by hate for Elon.
It did crash, multiple times. I remember that time frame quite well as there were several major, high-profile outages. Sure, it didn't crash permanently. But rather than presume to be a mind reader, perhaps it would be better to consider that being an IT expert doesn't grant one unlimited knowledge of the inner-workings of a specific company.

Old Posted May 7, 2024, 6:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nouvellecosse View Post
It did crash, multiple times. I remember that time frame quite well as there were several major, high-profile outages. Sure, it didn't crash permanently. But rather than presume to be a mind reader, perhaps it would be better to consider that being an IT expert doesn't grant one unlimited knowledge of the inner-workings of a specific company.
More than Meta? I think he proved if you cut out the fat it can still function.

Old Posted May 7, 2024, 8:13 PM

I don't really like Musk..........he's arrogant, self-righteous, and a bully. That said the world needs a thousand more like him.

Yes, he has some wacky ideas but this planet desperately needs people who have some of these wacky ideas that completely are outside of normal thought paradigms. We need people who will come up with seemingly bizarre remedies to our complex issues. 99% of those ideas may never work but that 1% will and could be the catalyst for change that we desperately need to find solutions to our growing problems.

Just incrementally improving what has worked in the past will not solve the monumental challenges this planet faces. 150 years ago, someone came up with a solution to urban traffic that at the times was ridiculed..............he thought of the idea that trains would work better and move more people if they were buried underground. Thank God enough people listened to him and went ahead with the project or our cities would be devoid of their subway systems.

Old Posted May 7, 2024, 9:25 PM
Volatile Pacivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOWetal View Post
More than Meta? I think he proved if you cut out the fat it can still function.
Given the problems with the algorithm and their moderation I think "function" is a strong word. While Warren may not have experienced the brunt of the issues, that seems to be the exception rather than the rule given the multitude of other user experiences I've heard. Its decline in revenue, advertisers and users clearly support that. It definitely wasn't "fat" that was cut if it was a much less successful company afterward. Cutting fat makes a company more successful rather than less. Seeing a company limping along in a diminished state does nothing to suggest otherwise.

Old Posted May 8, 2024, 5:43 PM

Exclusive-In Tesla Autopilot probe, US prosecutors focus on securities, wire fraud
https://ca.finance.yahoo.com/news/ex...120112235.html

Investigators are exploring whether Tesla committed wire fraud, which involves deception in interstate communications, by misleading consumers about its driver-assistance systems, the sources said. They are also examining whether Tesla committed securities fraud by deceiving investors, two of the sources said.

Old Posted May 9, 2024, 1:30 AM
SUSPENDED

I was stunned to see a farmer in Perth County today driving a Rivian R1T. Hauling some hay.

Old Posted May 11, 2024, 11:46 AM

Quote:
I Went To China And Drove A Dozen Electric Cars. Western Automakers Are Cooked

In just the past few months, the rift between the U.S. and China has expanded at an astounding rate. TikTok is set to be banned if it does not divest from its U.S operations. Treasury Secretary Janet Yellen said that “nothing is off the table” when it comes to battling a surge of cheap Chinese clean energy exports. The Commerce Department is cracking down on chips sent to Huawei.

And yet plenty of critics still insist China's advancements in its manufacturing abilities—especially in developing and selling electrified vehicles—somehow aren't legitimate. Or that they're just the byproducts of a government with too much cash that wants to elbow its way into the rest of the world.

I’ve personally been privy to conversations with auto industry insiders, engineers and pundits alike. Many of them believe China’s industries are not sustainable, and the cars it wants to foist on the public are cut-rate spyware machines designed to murder American citizens whenever the Chinese Communist Party flips the kill switch.

To these critics, if China had a truly open market, Chinese buyers would continue to purchase Western cars en masse, and sales of their models wouldn’t be falling off so dramatically.

It would be naive to assume that China doesn’t have its finger on the scale for EV production. But believing that the success of China's electrified vehicle industry is all the sole result of a brutish government forcing its citizens to buy its domestic products rings false in an almost childlike, sour-grapes way.

I spent a week in China for the Beijing Auto Show, the country’s biggest car industry event. As a guest of the Geely Group along with a few other international journalists, I drove more than a dozen vehicles, sat in many more, and had a lot of important conversations. The real story is far more nuanced than a simplistic “Us vs. Them”; a story of a China that has fraudulently over-invested in electric cars and is desperately seeking a space to dump their inferior products.

That narrative is false. Western automakers are cooked. And a lot of this is probably their damn fault.
https://insideevs.com/features/71901...ahead-of-west/

The rest of it is too long to post. But he goes on to substantially detail his experiences with Chinese EVs and it's eye opening. One of his key points:

Quote:
....No matter the price point, they all felt incredibly convincing. They’re high-tech, well-executed machines in ways I hadn’t experienced from European or American manufacturers.
I’d later learn that the auto show had more than 100 new model debuts and concepts. That’s a far cry from the Detroit Auto Show last September, which only featured one fully new model. Two other models were refreshed versions of current cars already on sale. None were electric.

In China, the showroom floor was filled to the gills with new electrified models from every single domestic automaker. They all had something to prove, and by god, they were trying. There were hundreds of models on the floor from dozens of brands, most of them just as compelling as what I had seen the day before from Geely.

Most brands had doors that closed with a solid thunk, with soft-touch materials in the correct places, when appropriate to the vehicle’s price point. And no matter the price point, they all had responsive, integrated vehicle interfaces that were quick, pretty, and ubiquitous.

A basic infotainment system in any given moderately priced Chinese EV beats the brakes off some systems in cars that cost six figures.
Nobody Cares About Western Brands in China

All of the press conferences for the model debuts were in Chinese, and I didn’t always have a translator or interpreter at hand. When I could, I wandered around, looking to see what else I could learn while in China.

The first stand I stumbled upon was Buick’s. It unveiled two GM Ultium-based concepts, the Electra L and Electra LT. It had also unveiled a PHEV version of its popular GL8 van. But where the hell was everyone? It was barely 10 a.m., on the first day of the Beijing Auto show; two concepts were just revealed sometime earlier that morning, yet there were only a handful of spectators at the Buick stand. There was no information on either concept. No one seemed to care.

Same story with the other Asian brands. Mazda's latest model, EZ-6 (which isn’t really even a Mazda, but a restyled Changan Deepal SL03), had some of the usual influencers and journalists shooting quick walkaround content for their channels, but after that died down, most moved on to something else. Ditto for Toyota’s bZ3x and bZ3c near-production models.

“Chinese people don’t really care about concepts here,” Will Sundin of the China Driven internet show told me. “They want something they can buy and drive right away.” As we walked around, he elaborated on why Western manufacturers were losing so much ground in China. Sundin blamed it partially on Western brands' inability to electrify quickly while offering low-quality software and mediocre value in their products.
I was embarrassed. Here I was in China, trying to empathize with Western brands, thinking they were being pushed out of China due to politics and things that were no fault of their own.

In reality, it felt like it was the late 1980s again, when American manufacturers felt like they could sell whatever underdeveloped models its accounting department had cooked up to the public, and we’d just have to deal with it. Now that I’ve seen a glimpse of what’s going on in China, the Western manufacturers, particularly the American ones, don’t seem like they’re trying at all.
So, when automakers, tech companies and regulators push back on China, the sentiments that they’re just protecting our market from unsafe or security-challenged products feel hollow. Instead, it feels like grandstanding, and a tacit admission that they have no intention of trying to do better.

Instead of competing, they’d rather just shut out competition entirely. The concerns about cybersecurity don’t address the elephant in the room here: Your product sucks, compared to what China is putting out now. It doesn’t go as far. It’s not as well-made. It’s not as nice. It’s not as connected.
There is so much more detail in there. Well worth the long read.

Last edited by Truenorth00; May 11, 2024 at 12:19 PM.

Old Posted May 11, 2024, 12:14 PM

^ Key takeaway to the above. Legacy automakers can keep Chinese EVs out of their home markets. But those EVs will take all the growth markets and slowly push legacy automakers out of the wider global market, if they refuse to compete.

Another point is that because we aren't exposed to these brands here we have no idea how competitive they are. We simply run on bias and assumptions. That's rather dangerous for industries in the long run.

This seems like a rerun of the 70s and 80s with the Japanese. Just much higher intensity.

Old Posted May 11, 2024, 4:18 PM

Old Posted May 11, 2024, 8:03 PM

Just when you thought GM & Barra couldn't get anymore shortsighted, they have decided to kill off the Malibu and 2024 will be it's final run and is going to be replaced by a new EV Bolt. This is why GM & Ford are struggling while Toyota is making money hand over fist.........Toyota makes quality cars people want and GM builds cars for what GM wants. As 100% EVs sales continue to decline and nearly all EV sales are now leases as they depreciate in value so fast no one is actually buying them, GM decides to double down on EVs.

Despite the fact that GM has allowed the very successful Malibu to rot on the vine with no major refreshes since 2016, it actually continues to sell quite well. It remains the 3rd highest selling mid-size in the US market according to GoodCarBadCar only trailing the Camry & Accord. It still outsells the Sonata, K5, Legacy, and even the Altima. Yes, a good chunk would be fleet sales but they are fleet sales because they have proven themselves to be reliable and, according to GM's mindset, if a car has proven to be reliable and well received, for God's sake cancel it.

It looked like GM was going to come out with the next generation Malibu for 2025 or 2026 at the latest and probably with a hybrid but alas no. GM has decided that people are going to start buying EVs whether they like it or not.

GM gas decide that they are now only going to offer SUVs & monster trucks as they see cars continuing to decline and again GM is telling people what they have to buy. The reality is that sedans are making a comeback. They bottomed out at 19% of the market a couple years ago but are now at 22% and expected to increase over the foreseeable future.

Old Posted May 11, 2024, 8:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssiguy View Post
Just when you thought GM & Barra couldn't get anymore shortsighted, they have decided to kill off the Malibu and 2024 will be it's final run and is going to be replaced by a new EV Bolt. This is why GM & Ford are struggling while Toyota is making money hand over fist.........Toyota makes quality cars people want and GM builds cars for what GM wants. As 100% EVs sales continue to decline and nearly all EV sales are now leases as they depreciate in value so fast no one is actually buying them, GM decides to double down on EVs.
Canada: Registrations of new motor vehicles by vehicle type; (Statistics Canada)

Battery Electric Vehicles

2019 35,523
2020 39,036
2021 58,726
2022 98,589
2023 139,501

Old Posted May 11, 2024, 8:54 PM
Great White Norf

100k more registrations or 257% increase in 3 years ain't bad

Old Posted May 11, 2024, 8:56 PM
Great White Norf

Quote:

This seems like a rerun of the 70s and 80s with the Japanese. Just much higher intensity.
And BYD seems to be leading the pack of Chinese automakers

Old Posted May 11, 2024, 10:18 PM
SUSPENDED

Yeah but the new Bolt is going to compete with Tesla's CyberCab so why would Malibu continue? I agree sedans are making a comeback, although Model 3 sales have dramatically slowed - it's an 8 year old design after all. Ford hasn't launched anything innovative since the 1985 Ford Taurus, they're just a slow boring money printer.

Old Posted May 11, 2024, 10:38 PM

Quote:
^ Key takeaway to the above. Legacy automakers can keep Chinese EVs out of their home markets. But those EVs will take all the growth markets and slowly push legacy automakers out of the wider global market, if they refuse to compete.

Another point is that because we aren't exposed to these brands here we have no idea how competitive they are. We simply run on bias and assumptions. That's rather dangerous for industries in the long run.

And unlike Japan, China is not a democracy or an ally. Which is why Biden is about to do this:

The tariff rate on Chinese EVs is set to jump from 25% to about 100%, sources said, adding that batteries and solar panels from China would also be affected.…

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/amp/rcna151748

And you can bet the USA will not sit still and let China just set up shops in Mexico.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada