HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Oct 22, 2021, 3:23 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wpgstvsouth94 View Post
Screw RT. We need to catch up with years of neglect on our road system and bring everything to modern standard. Winnipeg will always be a car city with our awful winters.
That's always lost on most in here who live in a rainbow coloured universe!

Add to that our changing demographics who long for cars!

Old Posted Oct 22, 2021, 3:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrskylar View Post
Add to that our changing demographics who long for cars!
If anything it's moving in the other direction. Cars and driving are not as big a deal for the younger people. Obviously many still drive, but I think the driving obsession kind of peaked with the boomers and Gen X.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2021, 4:10 PM
keep the good times going

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
If anything it's moving in the other direction. Cars and driving are not as big a deal for the younger people. Obviously many still drive, but I think the driving obsession kind of peaked with the boomers and Gen X.
I realize this is very anecdotal, but I am a Millennial / Gen Z (Right on the imaginary border lol). I know a lot of people who do not own or want to own a car for a long while. Albeit, these are mostly people who live in central areas to take advantage of transit and walkability.

Personally, I do not plan to buy a car until it is a luxury I can afford. So much stress, upkeep and money for a personal box that moves. Not to mention parking.

I will say I agree with furthering our automobile infrastructure, but as others here mentioned this issue is not in a vacuum. We need to diversify the ways people get around in this city (transit, active transport) in order to deal with traffic. People will still drive, but that doesn't mean we should put all of our eggs in the road basket.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2021, 5:15 PM

We are definitely in a transition period of people driving cars to cars being fully automated. As fully automated cars move out of the early development stages and become more widely accepted there is likely to be a line in the sand where it stops being possible to obtain a new drivers license as we know it today. There is also lots of speculation that once cars are fully automated individual ownership of vehicles is likely to fade away too in favor of roaming pools of shared use vehicles. When you are ready for your ride you call one up on your phone and it just shows up for you. When you get out it frees back up to the pool.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2021, 5:19 PM

I live in West Broadway and primarily walk and take transit. However, last month I joined Peg Car Co-op and its been great. The service has filled in when there was something I needed out in the suburbs. I probably use the service once or twice every two weeks.

Anecdotally, I was meeting a friend last week on Balmoral, and as I was waiting I couldn't believe how many people were using the bike lane along Balmoral and Westminster. I figured given how busy it was pre bikelane that it'd be a success in terms of ridership, but what I saw on Sunday felt like something out of Montreal or Vancouver.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2021, 6:32 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
The dream for newly arriving Canadians is home and car ownership and we're not getting many Dutch immigrants here these days!

Old Posted Oct 22, 2021, 6:47 PM

I’ll disagree. My 17 y/o bought a car. It allows her to go straight from high school to work or to hockey w/o Mom Dad leaving work early. It allows her to work more hours as she doesn’t have to factor in long bus rides. It allows her to have 2 jobs.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2021, 8:11 PM
Formerly rypinion

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags_in_the_peg View Post
I’ll disagree. My 17 y/o bought a car. It allows her to go straight from high school to work or to hockey w/o Mom Dad leaving work early. It allows her to work more hours as she doesn’t have to factor in long bus rides. It allows her to have 2 jobs.
Is one of the jobs to pay for the car?

Old Posted Oct 22, 2021, 8:38 PM

Last edited by peg; Oct 22, 2021 at 11:12 PM.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2021, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ywgwalk View Post
Is one of the jobs to pay for the car?

Old Posted Oct 23, 2021, 4:44 AM

Ya I'm also pretty adamant about never owning a car. Financially, it's not worth it especially given I can, and enjoy ,biking or walking anywhere since I live in West Broadway. From the people I know it seems like car ownership is really not seen as desirable. Way too many costs and responsibilities for something that is ultimately bad for the planet and unnecessary, especially if you're a member of Peg City.

Last edited by Peggerino; Oct 23, 2021 at 5:05 PM.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2021, 5:08 AM

Quote:
Not sure why the notion of having 2 jobs is a good idea for a 17 year old but that’s not my business.

Anyways as a 21 year old in the suburbs it’s more of a mixed bag with my buddies. Personally I never want to own a car unless it’s EV, however, guys out in the suburbs LOVE their cars and could not give less of a shit about it being bad for the environment.

However, in the Environmental Design program a lot of the people have a similar sentiment to cars that I do and try to look at other forms of transportation whenever they can. If we heavily invest in AT infrastructure I think bikes and Scooters, especially electric powered ones, could do almost as much work in reducing traffic as public transportation and should not be overlooked.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2021, 6:39 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebasketballgeek View Post
Not sure why the notion of having 2 jobs is a good idea for a 17 year old but that’s not my business.

Anyways as a 21 year old in the suburbs it’s more of a mixed bag with my buddies. Personally I never want to own a car unless it’s EV, however, guys out in the suburbs LOVE their cars and could not give less of a shit about it being bad for the environment.

However, in the Environmental Design program a lot of the people have a similar sentiment to cars that I do and try to look at other forms of transportation whenever they can. If we heavily invest in AT infrastructure I think bikes and Scooters, especially electric powered ones, could do almost as much work in reducing traffic as public transportation and should not be overlooked.
Idealistic and young living at home and going to school and no thought of owning a car, call me in five years and tell me then if realism won out over idealism!

Old Posted Oct 23, 2021, 6:42 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Sounds like she has a great work ethic which bodes well for her future endeavours, my own daughter worked hard in her teens and saved for a car which helped get her to university, she’s now in a well paying career which she loves!

Ignore the naysayers in here who somehow think more tax dollars should go to bike lanes which primarily serve white males between 20 and 50 who think proportionally spending on something only they use makes the most sense!

Old Posted Oct 23, 2021, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Idealistic and young living at home and going to school and no thought of owning a car, call me in five years and tell me then if realism won out over idealism!
I am well into my 50s and have never owned a car. Consider it a waste of money. I live in the suburbs. I also have the same build (fantastic, by the way) I had in high school, while not going to the gym, ever. My life is terrific, and I have never regretted my decision, even slightly. So don't preach about what's realistic, please, you clearly have no clue.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2021, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Don’t worry none of this is idealism lol. Considering Winnipeg is one of the only places in the world where living in the inner city is cheaper and more convenient then living in the suburbs it just makes sense fiscally, and is the next step to improve my QOL.

Anyways we are way off topic so I’m gonna just end it at that.

Last edited by thebasketballgeek; Oct 23, 2021 at 2:45 PM. Reason: Way off topic lol

Old Posted Oct 23, 2021, 3:02 PM

vast majority of us car & 1/2 ton truck owners are not climate change deniers, we own vehicle as public transportation doesnt work for us. having 2 kids in sports, elderly parents, both work full time, have a cottage. my situation is like the vast majority of my circle of friends & co-workers. the car-less culture and shitting on those that have cars really need to stop, you're creating division. i agree young people or single adults can potentially live without it, but again the vast majority it just doesnt work.

i'm all for bike lanes, i'm all for parks & trails, i use them every weekend almost.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2021, 3:48 PM

Quote:
the car-less culture and shitting on those that have cars really need to stop, you're creating division.
You. Have. Got. To. Be. Kidding.

Hundreds of millions of dollars spent on roads every year with a pathetic pittance on AT, and you say the people asking for a little more gruel for bikes are "creating division"?

I mean come on, I'm a driver and I do most of my personal transportation behind the wheel of my car. But even I can recognize it is a little greedy for drivers to say "99% of the transportation budget is not enough... we demand 100%... anything less is 'creating division'"

Old Posted Oct 23, 2021, 5:12 PM

I think the reality in Winnipeg is that if you live outside the West End, Wolseley, OV, St B and downtown inner circle, a car lifestyle makes a ton of sense. I'm in my mid/late 20s and my life car-free life is pretty great right now. But I do envision owning a car at some point in my life. But my ideal lifestyle through middle age involves remaining in the WB, Wolseley, West End area, not driving downtown to get to work, but mainly using it for the odd errand on weekends and getting out to my family's cottage.

I agree, if you live out in Sage Creek it probably makes a ton of sense to own one or two cars. I'm not going to 'dump' on that. Its just a lifestyle choice. I can only speak to the circles I run in, but there seems to be a lot of desire for the kind of lifestyle I described above. In those neighbourhoods I think it makes sense to invest heavily in active transportation and transit. Spend the resources where the lifestyle makes sense.

Oddly there does seem to be a reverse status culture in Winnipeg where the farther you live away from the downtown, the higher your status. I do believe that will change somewhat over the next 10-15 years. Not that it really matters.

Also to the person who said bike lanes are only for white men. Re my post above about the bike lanes on Balmoral and Westminster, the ridership I saw was incredibly diverse in terms of age, gender, race and incomes.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2021, 8:57 PM

Quote:
I was in the same boat when I started University (Environmental design too!), living in Fort Richmond with no car, other than borrowing my father's car from time to time. I later moved out, downtown, and still live here happily 4 years with no car.

Still no plans or desire to buy a car for a long time. I see it as a luxury.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan