HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Supertall Construction

Two World Trade Center in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Closed Thread

Old Posted Mar 5, 2016, 2:21 AM

Like this, only with the forward leg raised really high as he mounts the next step.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2016, 9:51 PM
Fake News

I'm still not crazy about the BIG design. It just feels awkward from some angles. Also I think tower 2 should have a crown feature of some sort leading up to tower 1's antenna mast. Something like the Hudson Yards towers would be nice.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2016, 3:46 AM
JACKinBeantown

Man, I hate the Freedom Fry. I'm really hoping Foster's design rears its gorgeous head.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2016, 4:19 PM
World Machine

I've warmed up to the BIG design - seeing it in reality I believe will do it greater justice than renders. It's actually a very impressive and intriguing looking structure. I do of course like Foster's design, though if it weren't for the crown the structure would be quite bland while BIG's design is intriguing from top to bottom.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2016, 7:45 PM
Certified Idahoan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Ditnow View Post
I would support the BIG Design if they added a gigantic, Giacometti-like sculpture of a very-long legged man walking up the steps between the third and fourth steps.
I tried to edit a pic of Jack Skellington onto the steps. Just a bit of fun on a Sunday.

[/URL]

Last edited by Welcome2Boise; Mar 6, 2016 at 9:54 PM. Reason: update

Old Posted Mar 10, 2016, 7:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welcome2Boise View Post
I tried to edit a pic of Jack Skellington onto the steps. Just a bit of fun on a Sunday.

[/URL]
Nicely done.

I could get behind that.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2016, 1:39 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dac150 View Post
I do of course like Foster's design, though if it weren't for the crown the structure would be quite bland while BIG's design is intriguing from top to bottom.
Foster's design is only about the crown.

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-tacular View Post
I think tower 2 should have a crown feature of some sort leading up to tower 1's antenna mast. Something like the Hudson Yards towers would be nice.
I don't know if this particular design lends itself to a crown, but if they added spires, it would need two of them to differentiate itself further from the Freedom Tower. This version of the WTC is closer to the original than Foster's design would have made it. These will be very massive, blocky buildings, including tower 3 and tower 4, which looks like a baby compared to the other three.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2016, 10:29 PM

They should design this building in a normal "boring" way with a flat roof. Why does the design have to look strange? Tower Four looks great without any crazy design elements.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2016, 10:58 PM
DENNAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by MercurySky View Post
They should design this building in a normal "boring" way with a flat roof. Why does the design have to look strange? Tower Four looks great without any crazy design elements.
Yea, the old twins were very simple and looked great. I do love Foster's building but if they build BIG's I won't be upset. It's about as enormous and imposing as the old South Tower, not to mention cool terraces etc. At this point I just want something to be built.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2016, 11:50 PM

BIG's tower would be perfect if at the base it didn't have the protruding part, like after the last cantilever it should go straight down to the ground.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2016, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shwayze1994 View Post
BIG's tower would be perfect if at the base it didn't have the protruding part, like after the last cantilever it should go straight down to the ground.
I agree, I'm mostly ok with BIG's design, but a cantilevering tower still seems inappropriate for the WTC site given the history here.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2016, 12:08 AM

I agree, it is kinda iffy. The crazy thing is, if it wasn't for the collapse of the WTC, I would have never gotten interested in skyscrapers. I became obsessed with the WTC as a kid, I would build little paper models of them and even the World Financial Center. 14 years later ( and a better understanding of architecture) the current complex with BIG's design is ten times better than the original complex.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2016, 2:07 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by MercurySky View Post
I also agree the flat roof is also in the tradition of the WTC. That's whey the buildings are now more bulky and boxy looking. We'll see what the other supertalls Downtown give us. The WTC is no longer the only show down there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityGuy87 View Post
I agree, I'm mostly ok with BIG's design, but a cantilevering tower still seems inappropriate for the WTC site given the history here.

I'm not even sure what you mean, but you're probably too hung up on 9/11. Besides, given the history of the WTC site, it could be said that building anything that high on the WTC site is "inappropriate".

http://www.wsj.com/articles/star-arc...ter-1433896821

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2016, 2:19 AM

^ What I meant was, from particular angles, BIG's design looks like it could easily topple. I know Silverstein had similar gripes about that during the design review process.

It has nothing to do with height, this site needs height but it's more about context which is something BIG does not excel with. SHoP is a better example of designing striking architecture while seamlessly blending in with its surroundings i.e.: 111 w57th.

That being said, I'm ok with the design overall, but eschewing the cantilevers in favor of a more traditional stepped tower design would look a helluva lot better.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2016, 6:58 PM
Build Baby Build

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityGuy87 View Post
^ What I meant was, from particular angles, BIG's design looks like it could easily topple. I know Silverstein had similar gripes about that during the design review process.

It has nothing to do with height, this site needs height but it's more about context which is something BIG does not excel with. SHoP is a better example of designing striking architecture while seamlessly blending in with its surroundings i.e.: 111 w57th.

That being said, I'm ok with the design overall, but eschewing the cantilevers in favor of a more traditional stepped tower design would look a helluva lot better.
Your eyes are playing tricks on you. The core of the building is still just one big concrete and steel tower going up 80% of the building. The base is secured directly into bedrock below. There is no way it is toppling over.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2016, 10:30 PM
Registered (Nimby Ab)User

Location: San Diego > Great Falls, MT > Denver > St. Louis > Providence, RI > Worcester, MA > Kunming, China > Bay Area > St. Louis > Seattle
Quote:
Originally Posted by fimiak View Post
Your eyes are playing tricks on you. The core of the building is still just one big concrete and steel tower going up 80% of the building. The base is secured directly into bedrock below. There is no way it is toppling over.
he doesn't mean it will actually topple over.. he means that BIG is terrible at continuity. BIG doesn't really know how to make a building that compliments its surroundings.

BIG is fantastic at making iconic structures, and the WTC complex would be absolutely brilliant if BIG had designed the whole complex at once, but it is the wrong firm to design WTC 2 within a complex that is already mostly complete

I heard the UN is moving its HQ there. The eiffel tower is moving there soon as well. Elon Musk even decided he didnt want to go to mars anymore after visiting.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2016, 3:37 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Post #4230 has some interesting diagrams that show how the tower and its core relate CityGuy87. Like every other tower, no chance of it toppling down.
Hopefully Blackrock can become the lead tenant, and get something rising soon.

I think the prospects of this tower happening or something rising here is halted back by the city boom itself. So much competition in DoBro, LIC, and HY when it comes to Class-A space.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2016, 1:48 PM
New Yorker for life

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/60-minut...ollar-designs/

"Starchitect" Bjarke Ingels' billion-dollar designs
​He's young, Danish and the current star of the world's architectural scene, handling over 60 major projects including the Googleplex and Two World Trade Center

Mar 13 2016
CORRESPONDENT
Morley Safer

Quote:
...Bjarke Ingels: If you're just reaffirming the status quo, then you are missing the point that the city is never complete. So every project we do somehow has to count.

Particularily this one. The design for Two World Trade Center -- the final tower set to rise on the site.

Bjarke Ingels: Two World Trade is roughly gonna be as tall as One World Trade, but without the spire. And if you see it from here it would appear as a series of seven city blocks of different proportions stepping up towards the sky.

Morley Safer: It must have been a very difficult assignment given that so much part of New York is hallowed ground.

Bjarke Ingels: Oh, yes. Also, because the site is so complex. There's, like, 11 subway lines. There's, like, multiple like highways, service roads, power plants. Like, the entire underground is like an anthill of complexity. So I w-- I was, like, really scared that now we were getting, like, the opportunity of a lifetime, and we would be so restricted that it would be almost impossible to come up with something.

Larry Silverstein: His designs can be counted on to be different.

Developer Larry Silverstein bought the original Twin Towers just weeks before the attacks on 9/11, and has spent the last 14 years on the site's redevelopment.

Morley Safer: Did you have any qualms about this very, very young architect? I mean, most architects don't come into their own until their 60s or even 80s.

Larry Silverstein: And here he is, 40 looking like 20. I said, "Silverstein, it's time for you to realize, right, we're in-- we're in another era." Right. The fact that I'm almost 85 years of age, maybe it's time for me to begin to be a little more flexible when it comes to these things.

The seasoned developer who has seen it all and the young starchitect have become an architectural odd couple.

Larry Silverstein: I find this very tough for women to walk on for anybody in heels. If you talk to our people, our maintenance people they will tell you this has become an unmitigated disaster.

The rebuilding effort at the World Trade Center has been long and tortured full of false starts and unrealized plans. Tower 2 is no different. In 2005, the job designing it had gone to preeminent architect Norman Foster, a British lord no less but the proposed tower was never built. When Rupert Murdoch and his son James decided to move Fox's headquarters to the site, they brought in Ingels and Foster's design was scrapped.

Michael Kimmelman: There was a palace coup and Foster was out. But Foster was designing really a different project for another client.

Morley Safer: You were chosen over one of the world's leading architectural firms--Norman Foster. How'd you pull that off?

Bjarke Ingels: The design that had already been designed for the site was very much designed in the thinking of the old financial district and as the whole neighborhood has changed what was needed was a different kind of building. And sometimes the set up needs to change.

Which it did yet again when Rupert Murdoch went from Daddy Warbucks to Scrooge and pulled out of the deal to move to Two World Trade, leaving Silverstein on the hook to find a new tenant and get the building built.

Bjarke Ingels: The second we have designed them and built them they belong to everybody.

As for Ingels, he is acutely aware of his responsibility with the tower's design, knowing that 9/11 is forever etched in all of our minds.

Bjarke Ingels: I got a letter from a brother of a firefighter that gave his life at the 9/11. And he just wrote me to say that, I see it as a giant staircase to heaven evoking the heroic stair climb of the first responders at 9/11. And to him he thought the skyline of Manhattan itself would commemorate the heroism, and sacrifice of 9/11. I couldn't claim that we had, that we have thought of it like that. But now, I can't think of the building without also seeing that interpretation.

Morley Safer: The-- I-- it must be a great honor to have gotten that commission.

Bjarke Ingels: It's probably the most watched skyline in the world. So it's definitely a place where you better get it right.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2016, 9:14 PM

I really liked the line "I see it as a giant staircase to heaven." That like just gave the tower a whole new meaning to me. Like the building truly fits the site now. And whether you're religious or not, it really is a beautiful thought on the tower. I love this tower now.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2016, 2:45 AM
Registered (Nimby Ab)User

Location: San Diego > Great Falls, MT > Denver > St. Louis > Providence, RI > Worcester, MA > Kunming, China > Bay Area > St. Louis > Seattle
I also like the stairway to heaven analogy... and i guess I've sort of seen it that way since the beginning.. the problem is it's facing the wrong way! From the plaza, this building is a blank glass box. thats what i hate so much about this design. After 14 years of waiting we just get a blank corner.

I prey to god that we get Foster's design back. theres no use trying to sell Ingels's design to a non-media tenant.

I heard the UN is moving its HQ there. The eiffel tower is moving there soon as well. Elon Musk even decided he didnt want to go to mars anymore after visiting.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Supertall Construction