HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Mar 29, 2012, 5:59 PM
Back from the dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by khabibulin View Post

Can you imagine how pissed off all the fiberal and dipper supporters who contributed to this building would be if that happened!!!!
I currently support the Cons and I support this project as well . Try to think for yourself (and I KNOW you would argue to the death that you already do)

Old Posted Apr 1, 2012, 11:10 AM

Wow!

Human Rights Museum is DEAD!

http://www.winnipegsun.com/2012/03/3...-to-water-park

Old Posted Apr 1, 2012, 1:48 PM
Dynamic Positivity!

What day is it today?

Old Posted Apr 1, 2012, 2:17 PM

It's a day for fool's. And fools have been made out of those who doth believe this crock!

Old Posted Apr 1, 2012, 5:12 PM
Transit Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebor204 View Post
I nearly pissed myself laughing when I read this LMAO, now I can take a dinghy ride through the Holocaust exhibit while listening to SLAYER!!!!!!!!!

\m/

Old Posted Apr 1, 2012, 5:29 PM
Uzer Error

That actually does make for a pretty bad ass looking water park concept.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2012, 8:52 PM

Yeah, screw history... let's slide! We'll call all it "Skinners: at the Forks" for that added "urban" cachet. I know this is a joke, but realistically it's a BAD idea. Aside from the obvious tackiness of it, it's a bad business model because the place would only be open 4 months out of the year—hardly enough revenue to offset the "spiralling costs".

Projects of this magnitude ALWAYS go over budget but the people who are complaining about it—and I'm sure there are many—just aren't used to Winnipeg doing anything on an international scale. I suppose people are still complaining about the "million dollar toilets" too, or the new airport, or any visionary project that seemingly takes away from keeping the roads pothole-free. I can just hear it now: "They're building this hifalutin museum thingy and our roads are crumbling!" Most cities would embrace an exciting project like this—but oh no, not the 'Peg. It's being dragged into the 21st century kicking and screaming... and complaining.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2012, 11:20 PM
Transit Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren Tate View Post
Yeah, screw history... let's slide! We'll call all it "Skinners: at the Forks" for that added "urban" cachet. I know this is a joke, but realistically it's a BAD idea. Aside from the obvious tackiness of it, it's a bad business model because the place would only be open 4 months out of the year—hardly enough revenue to offset the "spiralling costs".
You've heard of Toboggans right? Maybe we can turn the CMHR into a Rapid Transit station, with 80 km/h sleds!

"Why take the 160 to the U of M for 30 minutes, when you can toboggan across ice there in barely 10!" or better yet:

THE FORKS, TO FESTIVAL DU VOYAGEUR, IN A MERE 30 SECONDS!

Old Posted Apr 2, 2012, 12:53 AM

LOL. Now THERE'S some value for the average 'Pegger's hard earned dollar. Can't ride a museum to work, now can you?

Old Posted Apr 2, 2012, 12:58 AM
Go kicky fast, okay!

I don't know if anyone noticed, but the author's name in that article was quite interesting too.

Great read, by the way!

Now, I'm not so sure.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2012, 4:06 AM

The depressing part is reading the comments to the article. The overwhelming majority actually WANT this. I know the CMHR is having troubles, but come on. I sure hope the comments are only representative of the average knuckle-dragging Sun reader and not Winnipeg as a whole.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2012, 1:46 PM
Back from the dead

Quote:
The depressing part is reading the comments to the article. The overwhelming majority actually WANT this. I know the CMHR is having troubles, but come on. I sure hope the comments are only representative of the average knuckle-dragging Sun reader and not Winnipeg as a whole.
Well , you read it too .

Old Posted Apr 2, 2012, 4:41 PM
Transit Nerd

Quote:
Hey, it pays the bills.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2012, 8:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spocket View Post
Well , you read it too .
Actually, I didn't read it. The link was sent to me so I checked it out. Why would I want to read such a stupid article that, A) is fake, and B) so obviously reflects the true wishes of the majority of 'Peggers—judging by the photo alone. I was curious about the comments though, so I read them. "Oh please let it be true!" was the common sentiment. So disappointing. To actually want a waterpark over a national museum is beyond me. No civic pride whatsoever. I don't think it's funny at all.

What kills me is that if a waterpark like that actually existed, it would be pretty damn expensive. We all know how cheapskate Winnipeggers will react to having to pay upwards of $100 to take the whole family waterslidin'. I really don't get the waterpark obsession, I guess it's just another Winnipeg thing–like socials and Cheese Nips. Simple folk, simple tastes.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2012, 4:06 AM
Back from the dead

Quote:
Actually, I didn't read it. The link was sent to me so I checked it out. Why would I want to read such a stupid article that, A) is fake, and B) so obviously reflects the true wishes of the majority of 'Peggers—judging by the photo alone. I was curious about the comments though, so I read them. "Oh please let it be true!" was the common sentiment. So disappointing. To actually want a waterpark over a national museum is beyond me. No civic pride whatsoever. I don't think it's funny at all.

What kills me is that if a waterpark like that actually existed, it would be pretty damn expensive. We all know how cheapskate Winnipeggers will react to having to pay upwards of $100 to take the whole family waterslidin'. I really don't get the waterpark obsession, I guess it's just another Winnipeg thing–like socials and Cheese Nips. Simple folk, simple tastes.
Actually , I apologize . I misinterpreted just which side of the fence you fell on .

Old Posted Apr 6, 2012, 7:03 PM
ARTchitecture

The skyline

West view

Zoomed in on the glass and Saint Boniface

More glass

Preparing to fit the tower with glass

Source: http://humanrightsmuseum.ca/building...ction-web-cams

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2012, 7:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jets4Life View Post
I wonder who is going to occupy this fine structure, when it is finally completed.

Why do I get such a bad feeling about this project? Foreboding all around! Are there any established timelines for the construction, exhibit design, public opening, that we can use to measure the progress, or lack of progress of this project?

http://blackrod.blogspot.ca/

Old Posted Apr 17, 2012, 9:52 PM
DRINK

Quote:
Why do I get such a bad feeling about this project? Foreboding all around! Are there any established timelines for the construction, exhibit design, public opening, that we can use to measure the progress, or lack of progress of this project?

Video Link

Old Posted Apr 18, 2012, 5:18 PM
Here and There

Quote:

lack of progress?????? Have you seen how complex the construction is?

This is a testament to the ability of Winnipeg's contractors and you should be proud.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2012, 5:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kw5150 View Post
lack of progress?????? Have you seen how complex the construction is?

This is a testament to the ability of Winnipeg's contractors and you should be proud.

This:

Delays in opening the Canadian Museum for Human Rights are creating headaches in Winnipeg's tourism sector, while Ottawa says it won't give more money to the project.

Museum officials acknowledge that funding shortfalls, along with the development of the museum's exhibitions, are among the reasons why they're working towards opening the facility in 2014, a year later than its last estimate.

Officials had originally hoped to open the museum in 2012, but later set a goal of finishing construction in 2012 and opening in 2013.

"We're working towards 2014, we'll be able to confirm that. We're trying to provide people with a bit of a clearer timeline," museum spokesperson Angela Cassie told CBC News on Tuesday.

"Right now, all of our work plans are aligning for an opening in 2014, but that date is contingent on a few factors."

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan