HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Supertall Construction

Two World Trade Center in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Closed Thread

Old Posted Jan 15, 2016, 9:53 PM

Recently it has been reported that a huge investment management company is looking to move and consolidate into one location...

Old Posted Jan 15, 2016, 10:00 PM
DENNAB

It's amazing how the building was redesigned for Fox news and then they completely bail out. What total d*cks.

While I was starting to somewhat like this design I hope they can go back to Foster's, although it will probably be a while before any actual action.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2016, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapatan View Post
It's amazing how the building was redesigned for Fox news and then they completely bail out. What total d*cks.

While I was starting to somewhat like this design I hope they can go back to Foster's, although it will probably be a while before any actual action.
Silverstein might as well keep the Foster design on the table considering its foundation has already been constructed.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2016, 10:07 PM
DENNAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityGuy87 View Post
Silverstein might as well keep the Foster design on the table considering its foundation has already been constructed.
I sure hope so, that building was exceptional. The current one has the imposing mass of one of the old twin towers albeit a bit shorter, and the setbacks are cool, that's about it.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2016, 10:12 PM

rejoice great city . .
if we're lucky . .
a big pile of nothing wont get built . .

Old Posted Jan 15, 2016, 10:19 PM

Quote:
I sure hope so, that building was exceptional. The current one has the imposing mass of one of the old twin towers albeit a bit shorter, and the setbacks are cool, that's about it.
It's been widely noted that Silverstein's favorite design was Norman Foster's and never made a secret of it. As we know, the Ingels design made him very wary and hesitant about going forward. Now that the Fox deal is a no-go, he's more than free to dump BIG since his first choice was always Lord Foster.

I'm sure Silverstein and Foster could totally find a way to redesign the interiors and floor plans of the original tower 2 design that would still make it attractive to media companies. After all, when GroupM decided to anchor 3 WTC, they didn't need a major design change, hell they're even leasing more space in the tower. So if the Foster design returns, maybe we'll get 3's spires back as well.

I'm definitely cautiously optimistic about all of this...

Old Posted Jan 15, 2016, 10:36 PM
DENNAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityGuy87 View Post
It's been widely noted that Silverstein's favorite design was Norman Foster's and never made a secret of it. As we know, the Ingels design made him very wary and hesitant about going forward. Now that the Fox deal is a no-go, he's more than free to dump BIG since his first choice was always Lord Foster.

I'm sure Silverstein and Foster could totally find a way to redesign the interiors and floor plans of the original tower 2 design that would still make it attractive to media companies. After all, when GroupM decided to anchor 3 WTC, they didn't need a major design change, hell they're even leasing more space in the tower. So if the Foster design returns, maybe we'll get 3's spires back as well.

I'm definitely cautiously optimistic about all of this...
Well that's good, didn't know Silverstein had strong personal opinions about the buildings. I think it would be worth waiting a while if we could get Foster's design back up, since it seems we're going to have to anyway.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2016, 11:21 PM
Registered (Nimby Ab)User

Location: San Diego > Great Falls, MT > Denver > St. Louis > Providence, RI > Worcester, MA > Kunming, China > Bay Area > St. Louis > Seattle
WE MUST CELEBRATE

I heard the UN is moving its HQ there. The eiffel tower is moving there soon as well. Elon Musk even decided he didnt want to go to mars anymore after visiting.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2016, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Well that's good, didn't know Silverstein had strong personal opinions about the buildings. I think it would be worth waiting a while if we could get Foster's design back up, since it seems we're going to have to anyway.
Silverstein generally has a good taste in architecture, especially 30 Park Place.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2016, 11:41 PM
A.F.K.A. JayPro

So let me get this straight here.
The BIG design for this long-suffering piece of real estate is being shat on by more or less half the formers here simply because they didn't like the putative--now former--anchor tenant.

Okay, you've seemingly won the day. Now because of the pusillanimous decision of the company Larry tried so long to lasso, the punishment we all get to endure is to wait and see whether:
A. Larry keeps BIG on board at all,
B. If that's the case, the design will change in any perceptible way depending on when, if at all, we get a real taker and
C. We'll have to wait maybe another decade for changes in foundation work, renders, red tape blah blah blah.

I loathe mainstream media conglomerates. All of them.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2016, 11:57 PM

A poster here noted that the BIG design would've meant a total rebuild of the foundation, so I would imagine Silverstein ditches the BIG design, at least for something that doesn't require them to demo the current foundation and build a new one. Let's hope he goes back to the original design, that would be an absolute godsend.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2016, 12:03 AM

Most likely the design required foundation modifications that would push the completion deadline beyond 2020 and that's why Fox bailed out.

Anyway, this is fantastic news, we were spared the punishment of watching this eyesore on the skyline. Let's celebrate

There is so many supertalls going up in the city at this time that I have no problem waiting for a quality tower.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2016, 12:30 AM

I liked the BIG design. I also like Foster's. But at least with the BIG design, it was going to get built. Now what?

Old Posted Jan 16, 2016, 12:32 AM

I have to say that I'm bummed this fell through. I love how 360 degrees BIG's proposal is. Fosters design looks great from the memorial but it feels like it has its back turned to the rest of the city.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2016, 12:45 AM
DENNAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by franktko View Post
I liked the BIG design. I also like Foster's. But at least with the BIG design, it was going to get built. Now what?
Yea this is exactly how I feel, I was really just excited to have another ~400m tower go up at the WTC site and now it could be a really long time before anything happens.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2016, 12:46 AM
A.F.K.A. JayPro

I really can'y see why BIG can't work with the Foster footprint anyhow.

If it stays because the next potential anchor tenant won't be needing trading floor space, all the better.

Besides, and it's worth making the point once more apropos the Foster Diamonds: Why should one particular view (i.e. Jersey) benefit virtually 100% from the original 200G's most marketable esthetic element?

Surely Lord Foster had to realize that people living particularly east of Manhattan would lose out. Barring yet another supermassive trainwreck out of the stock markets of the world, watching the West Side and the 57th Street Corridor hit the sky is something I should be grateful for.

Shame on Fox......

Old Posted Jan 16, 2016, 1:40 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

The costs would be way to much and every month that goes by, even more money would be lost. Its just not worth the huge investment on Murdochs part.

Keep in mind that the deal was solid, but they backed out. I can't blame them. Time = money on a tower like this. Costs which would of been passed over in terms of rent per sq-ft.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2016, 2:19 AM

Please Larry, go back to the Foster design. You've already got the foundation. I know not everyone agrees but I'm not too upset, especially if this means going back to the previous design. IMO the BIG design would be an eyesore, and stick out. And if were going back to old designs any chance we can get 3 WTC's spires back haha.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2016, 4:16 AM

Quote:
Yea this is exactly how I feel, I was really just excited to have another ~400m tower go up at the WTC site and now it could be a really long time before anything happens.
It won't be a long time. With the Oculus opening in March, WTC is almost completed. Still vacant office space fills out quickly and they are quite a few big companies in the city who are looking to consolidate and relocate. Larry will work hard to get them to the new tower.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2016, 4:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILNY View Post
It won't be a long time. With the Oculus opening in March, WTC is almost completed. Still vacant office space fills out quickly and they are quite a few big companies in the city who are looking to consolidate and relocate. Larry will work hard to get them to the new tower.
By the time 2 WTC is done, the rest of the complex will have already been completed for some time, perhaps even the performing arts center as well.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Supertall Construction