HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Feb 13, 2024, 7:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acottawa View Post
Now he is the Minister responsible for housing. I wonder what advice he is ignoring now.
He's supposedly one of the most competent ministers too. Though Competent means going out and delivering a message more than it means actually getting anything done.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2024, 7:27 PM

The Liberals seem to have been just on neoliberal autopilot mode with no regard for what were some obvious growing issues. The polling is the only thing that forced them to at least grab the steering wheel.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2024, 8:18 PM
¥ ¥ ¥

Quote:
Canada’s Labor Market Absorbing Its Population Boom Is “Impossible”: National Bank

February 12, 2024

Canada embarked on an ambitious mission to grow its economy using rapid population growth. After hitting unreal immigration targets they may have forgotten to plan one detail—what are people going to do when they get to Canada? That was the focus of the latest analysis from National Bank of Canada (NBF). The bank’s chief economist warns the country’s labor market is increasingly unable to absorb its population growth.

Canada’s Labor Market Attracted A Historic 125k Workers In January
Last week’s Labor Force Survey (LFS) showed historic growth for Canada’s working-age population. The country added 125k workers just that month, about 4.7% growth when annualized. While the headline data revealed a falling unemployment rate, we emphasized this was largely due to methodology. Increasingly the data considers more people as “long term unemployed,” due to giving up on trying to find employment.

In short, the country is producing a lot of workers. Finding jobs for all of these workers is proving much more difficult than policymakers had anticipated.
https://betterdwelling.com/canadas-l...national-bank/

Old Posted Feb 13, 2024, 8:33 PM

Hey Lighting guy, is this the world you imagine?

https://twitter.com/TheYcOrg/status/...z4eDBDh0g&s=19

Old Posted Feb 13, 2024, 9:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodgrowth View Post
The Liberals seem to have been just on neoliberal autopilot mode with no regard for what were some obvious growing issues. The polling is the only thing that forced them to at least grab the steering wheel.
Literally in the case of stolen vehicles. They are just reacting.

I don't think anyone posted this but I thought it was hilarious:

Justice minister's government car stolen for the third time in as many years
News comes as Ottawa convenes a national summit to discuss how to crack down on auto thefts
Darren Major · CBC News · Posted: Feb 08, 2024 1:29 PM PST

Politicians and law enforcement officials are confronting a rising number of auto thefts — and it appears that the office of Canada's justice minister is also a popular target for thieves.

Justice Minister Arif Virani's government-owned Toyota Highlander XLE was stolen last November but was later recovered, according to documents tabled in the House of Commons last week.

It's the same car that was stolen and recovered last February when David Lametti was justice minister. Another 2019 Toyota Highlander was stolen during Lametti's tenure in February of 2021 — making this latest incident the third time a federal justice minister's car has been stolen in the past three years....

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/jus...time-1.7109562

Old Posted Feb 14, 2024, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyRonin View Post
B-b-but Justin & Co told us we need them.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2024, 1:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truenorth00 View Post

This exact scenario as played out on the meme isn't actually that bad. Walter committed a crime and he deserves to be punished. If you want an example of such an anarcho-capitalist system going horribly wrong, it would be one where ADT lets it slide because Ring is a subsidiary or something.
"It is only because the control of the means of production is divided among many people acting independently that nobody has complete power over us, that we as individuals can decide what to do with ourselves." - Friedrich Hayek

Old Posted Feb 14, 2024, 2:27 AM

Thats quite a leap from "we need to make cuts to government spending"

Old Posted Feb 14, 2024, 2:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1overcosc View Post
This exact scenario as played out on the meme isn't actually that bad. Walter committed a crime and he deserves to be punished. If you want an example of such an anarcho-capitalist system going horribly wrong, it would be one where ADT lets it slide because Ring is a subsidiary or something.
The problem is that these scenarios never play out ideally.

1) How do you punish someone who has no assets?
2) Why should I pay a company that agrees to let me be penalized when I can pay a company to let me do whatever I want?
3) What is stopping companies from simply using their private armies to take over and extract more protection money?

Think I'm exaggerating? The above was basically 90s Russia. And it only ended by an ex-spook becoming the arch-gangster: Putin.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2024, 2:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Build.It View Post
Thats quite a leap from "we need to make cuts to government spending"
You've said things that are far more extreme than "we need to make cuts to government spending".

If you're going to start arguing that places like Vietnam and South Africa are better than Canada, memes like the above become quite relevant.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2024, 3:18 AM

Quote:
You've said things that are far more extreme than "we need to make cuts to government spending".

If you're going to start arguing that places like Vietnam and South Africa are better than Canada, memes like the above become quite relevant.
It's extreme to say that there are certain things in other countries that are better than here?

Old Posted Feb 14, 2024, 3:24 AM

I have pondered what a system similar to the one in that infographic would look like though. It probably wouldn't work very well, compared to having a competent police force. If someone needs to resort to robbery then they're probably not going to have an insurance policy like that to begin with. It is effectively how South Africa works though - there are 3 private security personnel for every 1 cop. Modern day South Africa effectively operates as a left-libertarian country - due to years of incompetent governments the private sector has basically come up with its own solutions. It's not perfect, but the sun still rises, people still go to work, still have friends over, go on vacations. South Africa is also a massive immigration destination despite all its problems.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2024, 1:05 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

https://montrealgazette.com/news/loc...ven-guilbeault
One line caught my attention:
Quote:
Besides funding these types of projects, all levels of government must make the hard decision to stop expanding the road network, he said.
Is it possible that some interpret that as jurisdictional overreach??

Old Posted Feb 14, 2024, 2:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengler Avenue View Post
https://montrealgazette.com/news/loc...ven-guilbeault
One line caught my attention:

Is it possible that some interpret that as jurisdictional overreach??
Steve Gilbo is Mister Jurisdictional Overreach. He’s a radical environmentalist.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2024, 2:57 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackslack View Post
Steve Gilbo is Mister Jurisdictional Overreach. He’s a radical environmentalist.
Okay his comments aren’t as surprising then.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2024, 3:07 PM
Fake News

Quote:
Originally Posted by Build.It View Post
It's extreme to say that there are certain things in other countries that are better than here?
China builds lots of cool civic buildings and skyscrapers, therefore China is amazing and better than Canada. China gets things done with no red tape! Look at the Three Gorges dam.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2024, 3:09 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Steven Guilbeault is a bit of an ideologue who thinks that the environment doesn't respect borders or the constitutional division of powers.

I am not necessarily a supporter of his or his way of playing politics but he's not entirely wrong.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2024, 3:10 PM

Quote:

Meanwhile in the real world right now:

1) Walter commits robbery against Marie;

2) Marie complains to the cops;

3) Cops file some report;

4) Nothing more happens. (Maybe Walter makes a mistake during another robbery many years down the road and then gets caught, or not.)

Old Posted Feb 14, 2024, 4:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gresto View Post
You own buildings? Who knew?!
It's on topic for this forum: densification, demolitions for surface parking, infill in urban areas building buildings for which I got congratulations from the City, land use policies and zoning and the effect it has on property owners and developers, etc.

In terms of personal experience managing and modifying urban fabric I'm sure I'm in the top 1% of SSP

And I'd certainly love to hear from others who are doing the same thing... for example the handful of SSPers who are in planning roles nearly always have interesting things to say, compared to the ones who have zero connection to development and buildings.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2024, 4:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Steven Guilbeault is a bit of an ideologue who thinks that the environment doesn't respect borders or the constitutional division of powers.

I am not necessarily a supporter of his or his way of playing politics but he's not entirely wrong.
Honestly if you really believe the environment is burning and the world will end if we don't do something about it why wouldn't you ignore constitutional divisions, lie in front of backhoes, but it also gets quickly to much more dangerous actions if you really believe it. Ends up like Scientology "fair game" or Russia's behaviour. If you are the only path to utopia any behaviour can be justified.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada