HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Supertall Construction

Two World Trade Center in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Closed Thread

Old Posted Dec 9, 2015, 9:30 PM
Mr. Technology

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpolom View Post
I think the new WTC2 tower complements WTC1, WTC3, AND WTC4 better than the Foster design.
I personally could care less.
They keep changing the design over the years.
It is clear that money is the root cause.

The design of Towers 1 and 3 were pretty lame, but when they changed Tower 2 of Lord Foster (which most everyone loved so much), it is clear to me how much greed has played a part in this ongoing development.

Last edited by TechTalkGuy; Dec 9, 2015 at 11:41 PM. Reason: Typo corrected

Old Posted Dec 9, 2015, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechTalkGuy View Post
I personally could care less.
They keep changing the design over the years.
It is clear that money is the root cause.

The design of Towers 1 and 3 were pretty lame, but when they changed Tower 4 of Lord Foster (which most everyone loved so much), it is clear to me how much greed has played a part in this ongoing development.
You mean Tower 2. Tower 4, the most simple design of these four towers and also the only one to have ZERO design changes. 7 WTC's design also never changed either.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2015, 11:44 PM
Mr. Technology

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityGuy87 View Post
You mean Tower 2. Tower 4, the most simple design of these four towers and also the only one to have ZERO design changes. 7 WTC's design also never changed either.
Yes, thanks for pointing out my typo.
Tower 4 was unanimous amongst this group of being as perfect as you can expect.

And 7 WTC was rebuilt so fast, I recall standing outside of the tower wondering to myself why can't the rest of the complex just simply be rebuilt as fast.

But that's what happens when there are countless delays.
We get changed designs that alter our perception of the complex.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2015, 3:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechTalkGuy View Post
Yes, thanks for pointing out my typo.
Tower 4 was unanimous amongst this group of being as perfect as you can expect.

And 7 WTC was rebuilt so fast, I recall standing outside of the tower wondering to myself why can't the rest of the complex just simply be rebuilt as fast.

But that's what happens when there are countless delays.
We get changed designs that alter our perception of the complex.
Yeah. 4 is going to be the best in the complex. Something I never would have dreamed of early on in the rebuilding.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2015, 1:06 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Port Authority Approves Subsidies for 2 World Trade Project

Quote:
The Port Authority of New York and New Jersey approved subsidies to help expedite the construction of lower Manhattan’s 2 World Trade Center, where Rupert Murdoch’s 21st Century Fox Inc. and News Corp. companies have a tentative deal to move their headquarters from midtown.

Developer Silverstein Properties Inc., which leases the sites for 2 World Trade Center and two other towers from the Port Authority, would receive a rent break that amounts to $9 million over the life of the lease, Authority Director Patrick Foye said, just before the agency board unanimously approved the proposal.

The subsidies will help the tower generate $500 million to $600 million of revenue that will support authority transportation and other projects, Foye said. Silverstein would forgo paying a part of the rent only if the tower is built. Completing 2 World Trade would also raise the value of 1 World Trade Center, in which the authority holds a majority equity stake, and would help the agency eventually exit that investment, Foye said.

The revenue gained “in my mind represents an extraordinary opportunity for the Port Authority and the people of the region,” Foye said.
Janno Lieber, president of Silverstein’s trade center subsidiary, called the rent assistance “a modest reduction” in payments that would have been made by Fox and News Corp. The companies have yet to commit to the project.

‘Made Sense’

“This is a deal that always made sense for the Port Authority,” Lieber said in an e-mailed statement. The agreement “will generate 10,000 construction jobs and 12,000 to 15,000 permanent jobs, as well as allow us to finally put back all the office space that was destroyed by terrorists 14 years ago.”
The agency had previously maintained that 2 World Trade would be built entirely without public assistance. It took over 1 World Trade from Silverstein in 2006. The developer received tax-exempt government Liberty Bonds to aid in the construction of 4 World Trade Center, which opened in 2013.

Last year, New York approved as much as $1.8 billion of bonds to build 3 World Trade Center, which is now under construction. The authority balked at Silverstein’s request to guarantee payment of that debt.

The revenue gain consists of three parts, Foye said. They include payments due to the authority from Westfield Corp., its partner on the retail portion of the project, that are contingent upon completion of the tower. He also said the agency would receive $174 million from Silverstein for work done to prepare the site for construction, and increased ground lease payments should the Fox and News Corp. agreements be completed.
=========================
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articl...de-development

Old Posted Dec 11, 2015, 2:17 AM
Mr. Technology

A 9 million dollar sacrifice for a possible 600 million revenue sounds like a win to me!

Old Posted Dec 11, 2015, 5:19 AM

Speaking of BIG, does anyone know about their planned Upper East Side supertall? How about another tower in Tribeca, or another tower on the Westside? Per Archpaper, BIG is working on these three projects right now. I don't think SSP has threads on any of these projects yet:

http://blog.archpaper.com/2015/12/ea.../#.VmpcRbgrKVN

Old Posted Dec 11, 2015, 5:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
Speaking of BIG, does anyone know about their planned Upper East Side supertall? How about another tower in Tribeca, or another tower on the Westside? Per Archpaper, BIG is working on these three projects right now. I don't think SSP has threads on any of these projects yet:

The west side project you mentioned is the one near the High Line that was recently revealed I believe. The other two are still a mystery but we will most likely hear about them sometime next year.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2015, 3:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityGuy87 View Post
The west side project you mentioned is the one near the High Line that was recently revealed I believe.
It isn't that project, because that project is detailed in the article. They wrote that there's a second planned BIG project near the High Line.

I'm particularly curious in hearing about the UES supertall. This would be BIG's second supertall after 2 WTC, and would mean they're going to have a huge impact on the Manhattan skyline.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2015, 2:07 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post

Is there a particular address or parcel for the UES project? There's one tower (not Sutton), thats a 1000 ft

I keep thinking this, but I don't believe Ingels is designing it.

Although maybe Ingels will design 335 Madison? Some parcels in Midtown could hoist a super tall, and with the resume of designing WTC2, he could be an architect of choice.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2015, 3:11 AM

Old Posted Dec 15, 2015, 4:24 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by patriotizzy View Post
What? Your argument makes no sense. You could literally say that for both of the buildings but make an exception for this new 2WTC...
It makes absolute sense. What doesn't make sense is you guys telling about the Foster version of Tower 2 when you've seen nothing of it. What about it makes it original
or more original than the current version? Don't waste your time trying to answer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsbrook View Post
Not sure what you are saying, NYguy. I didn't say Lord Foster's design, which I found more visually interesting and striking, was 'original' either. Just that the current plan is visually similar to existing building in response to someone's suggestion that it was original.
And my response is that there is more to a building's design than the exterior. This building is a very original concept for the WTC or any office tower in New York,
especially Downtown, as far as that goes.

Meanwhile, it could be 3 years before this tops off and completes this picture.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2015, 7:40 PM
Mr. Technology

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
What doesn't make sense is you guys telling about the Foster version of Tower 2 when you've seen nothing of it. What about it makes it original
or more original than the current version?
It looked beautiful!!
We saw the renders and Foster was the best.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2015, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TouchTheSky13 View Post
It lloks like they shortened it even more. I hope not.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2015, 12:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCReid View Post
It lloks like they shortened it even more. I hope not.
way shorter. It should be almost to 1's roof top , maybe 30 ' shorter. That makes it look the same as 3. I hope not either

Old Posted Dec 16, 2015, 12:40 AM
Mr. Technology

I hear you loud and clear!

This is what's currently planned:

The World Trade Center

Old Posted Dec 16, 2015, 3:06 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Probably the closest analog to the original twins, in this case, tower two. At least based on the nighttime rendering. It almost looks like they merged two twins into one tower. I think the bulk of this will be the most impressive feature. This tower will be massive and have a monolithic status. On the scale of Metlife, only modern.

Quote:
Met life and WTC2 being 3 mil sq feet each respectably.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2015, 6:20 AM
New Yorker for life

I think the height proportions are off a bit, but it gives us the idea...

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2015, 5:11 PM
A.F.K.A. JayPro

Yeah...200G, remember, is on the north side of the Calatrava Hub and thus a bit father away rom the viewer. It gives the impression of being almost the same size as 175G.
Also, keep in mind that 1WTC is 1,373' tall minus the spantenna.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2015, 6:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris08876 View Post
Is there a particular address or parcel for the UES project? There's one tower (not Sutton), thats a 1000 ft

I keep thinking this, but I don't believe Ingels is designing it.

Although maybe Ingels will design 335 Madison? Some parcels in Midtown could hoist a super tall, and with the resume of designing WTC2, he could be an architect of choice.

Hey chris08876, Can you (or anyone else) share with us more information about this one? What a beauty. Would love to know more. Thanks!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Supertall Construction