HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > 2010 Olympic Winter Games [Archive]

Old Posted Oct 18, 2008, 4:07 AM
loafing in lotusland

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post
so what happens if people buy tickets and get events they don't want?

can they scalp them?

or what if you get into a final and Canada isn't in it and you really don't want to go? do you just scalp them?
There will be a provision for people who have tickets to resell on the Vancouver2010 website.

Technically, selling the tickets at above the sticker price can get the ticket invalidated... but I doubt that will stop anyone.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2008, 3:24 AM
Yellow Fever

All of the $34,500 2010 Olympic tickets sold

The Province; News Services
Published: Thursday, October 30, 2008

Rich sports fans hoping to plunk down $34,500 on a luxury ticket package to the 2010 Olympic Games in Vancouver are out of luck.

The 120 packages available -- which include guaranteed seats to the men's gold-medal hockey game, along with perks such as hotel stays, meals, airport pickups and host services -- sold out two weeks after they went on sale, Jean-Paul Modde, president of hospitality provider CoSport, said yesterday.

Available on a first-come, first-served basis, the packages went for $34,500 a couple.

Other packages ranging from $4,000 to $21,000 are still available, but they too are being snatched up fast, particularly those that include tickets to the Games' opening ceremonies.

© The Vancouver Province 2008

Old Posted Oct 31, 2008, 11:32 PM

Vanoc flooded with 2010 Olympic ticket requests

Jeff Lee, Vancouver Sun
Published: Friday, October 03, 2008

VANCOUVER - People looking to buy tickets to the 2010 Olympics flooded the computer servers of the Vancouver Organizing Committee early Friday.

Early reports by Vanoc indicated that they underestimated the amount of traffic they anticipated when the ticket purchase program went live at midnight, Pacific time.

"Off the top, when we first activated the site, there was about 30 times the usual traffic we see at vancouver2010.com, and that interest has come from across the country - coast to coast," said spokeswoman Renee Smith-Valade. "We were not counting on seeing a huge rush of applications of the top, and consistent with that, what we are seeing so far is a huge interest in coming into the site and "looking around", shopping around, as people are curious to see what is available for tickets and are looking to get a sense of how it all works."

Vanoc is putting up about 1.6 million tickets for sale, but they are not on a first-come, first-served basis.

In an effort to prevent scalpers and ticket hogs from claiming the best seats, Vanoc instituted a reservation system that will allow people to apply for tickets over a five-week period.

Between now and Nov. 7 ticket-hunters can browse Vanoc's web site and choose either single tickets or build "Olympic Experience Packages."

Tickets for high-demand events will go to a lottery system afterwards.

Vanoc predicts that such events as figure skating, gold-medal men's and women's hockey, Canadian curling and even some downhill events may be oversubscribed and require a lottery.

Smith-Valade said Vanoc has worked hard in recent weeks to get the message out to ticket buyers that they have time to put together their dream packages.

"We're encouraged by that as it seems to indicate that our message that its important to take your time, and that it's not a race, has been clear."

Vanoc has not said how many package requests it has received today, or whether some sports may already be sold out.

You'll need lottery luck for top 2010 Games tickets
Vanoc expects lottery to decide who gets 2010 Games tickets for many top-level events

Jeff Lee, Vancouver Sun
Published: Friday, October 31, 2008

VANCOUVER - With one week to go before the end of the first phase of ticket sales, Vancouver Olympic organizers say they now expect strong public demand will force tickets to many top-level events to be decided on the basis of a lottery.

But they're not specifying which sports and events have already had more orders than available tickets, saying they don't want to dissuade people from putting in orders for their dream tickets.

"I knew you would ask that, and you knew I wouldn't answer that, didn't you?" joked Dave Cobb, Vanoc's executive vice-president of revenue, marketing and communications when asked to identify which sports have been sold out. "We don't want to interfere with peoples' ordering process. We don't want them to necessarily affected by what other people are doing."

However, Cobb said Vanoc has always believed that the lottery process would be necessary for men's hockey, from the quarter-finals on up, and all of figure skating, long-track speed skating and all medal events for all sports.

Now, he said, orders placed since Vanoc began taking requests on Oct. 3 show that many more sports will likely go to lottery.

"I can tell you that we've significantly exceeded the number of orders I was expecting at this stage," he said. "So we will have more events going to lottery than I expected."

Cobb says that if people want to increase their chances of getting tickets to high-demand events, they should look at applying for "Olympic Experience Packages" which combine some events.

Those packages are less likely to go to lottery.

But he's also warning people to be careful not to over-order or take a shotgun approach to ordering in the hope of getting something.

"People who order on VISA need to be aware that they could possibly get everything they want in the lottery and need to be prepared that all these tickets will show up on their credit card bill," he said.

Unlike concerts and other public events, tickets to the 2010 Winter Games aren't being allocated on a first-come, first-served basis.

Vanoc opened the first phase for access to tickets on Oct. 3, telling customers to place their preferred orders before Nov. 7.

After that, Vanoc will fill all orders, as placed, for events that don't require a lottery.

On Dec. 8 Vanoc will reopen the ordering process for those who participated in the first phase, allowing them to buy other tickets in real time, but on a restricted basis.

Cobb said the second phase, which will come in time for Christmas, will allow customers to choose from events in lesser demand, up to a maximum of 50 tickets.

While Vanoc is keeping secret those events going to lottery, it released some figures showing the level of demand:

- Requests have come in from over 1,000 cities in every province and territory in the country;

- 93 per cent of all requests are for tickets to more than one sport (probably hockey);

- The average number of tickets per order is 15;

- The most orders have come from B.C., Ontario and Alberta, in that order.

"From the day we launched ticket sales, Canadians' response to attending the 2010 Olympic Winter Games has been outstanding across the full spectrum of sport events," Caley Denton, Vanoc's vice president of ticketing and consumer marketing said in a press release issued early Friday.

"With just one week to go in Phase One ticket orders, the most important thing to remember is that a request placed on or before November 7 is your best chance to receive the tickets you want and is the only way to qualify to order tickets in the Priority Access Period before the holidays." Cobb said Vanoc is seeing demand in all sports, including those not historically popular in Canada, such as Nordic combined, a combination of ski-jumping and cross-country that is popular in Europe but which has no following here.

Vanoc is also highlighting availability of tickets to preliminary events, since many of the medal rounds now appear to be going to lottery.

jefflee@vancouversun.com

Old Posted Nov 8, 2008, 10:07 AM

Ticket request

Of course I put off until 11:45 pm tonight (Nov 7) to put in my order. It is hard to believe that the average order has been for 15 tickets. Hell I put in an order for 6 tickets, at the cheapest event selection prices, and my total came out to $850.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2008, 6:38 PM
Vancouver User

Hopefully I don't get all the tickets I requested or I'll be paying a wee bit of moula... though got it down considerably from my first choices that resulted in a max charge of $25,000.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2008, 4:03 AM
Bridge Walker!

I got in on the hockey final package with snowboard and closing ceremonies. Two seats - $2375.00

Here's hopin' all the stars are in alignment.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2008, 11:33 PM
loafing in lotusland

When will we know?

Old Posted Nov 12, 2008, 11:41 PM

You will be notified first week of December (I think 5th), although apparently your Visa will be charged in late November for those tickets you are going to recieve, so I think you should have a good idea by end of month. If I get everything I requested, no xmas for anybody I know - Visa will be pinned!

Old Posted Nov 13, 2008, 5:48 AM
Bridge Walker!

Is it true that lottery losers get first right of refusal on anything leftover?

Old Posted Nov 13, 2008, 4:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckkelley View Post
Is it true that lottery losers get first right of refusal on anything leftover?
I believe that anyone who submitted a request through the lottery, whether successful or not, gets first pick on remaining tics in January (i think), before ther rest get released to public in February.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2008, 6:49 PM
ON3P Skis

I have very little hope of receiving everything I ordered, considering most of the tickets were either hockey games or medal rounds, but it's probably a good thing considering the bill would be $7,800 or so. lol

Old Posted Nov 14, 2008, 12:17 AM

2010 ticket requests outstrip supply
140,000 Canadians sought tickets for gold-medal hockey game

Jeff Lee, Vancouver Sun
Published: Thursday, November 13, 2008

VANCOUVER - Demand for tickets to the 2010 Winter Games was so high among Canadians that there will be lotteries for 120 of 170 events, the Vancouver Organizing Committee said Thursday.

When the dust settled after the initial ticket request period ended on Nov. 7, Vanoc discovered that Canadians had submitted more than $345 million in wish lists, far outstripping even the high demand experienced during the 2002 Salt Lake Games.

Those Games, even with the fallout of 9/11 and a bribing scandal, have ranked as one of the few Games that experienced sellouts at the ticket wicket. But Vancouver appears to have wildly eclipsed Salt Lake.

Vanoc officials said that Canadian patrons over five weeks had requested four and a half times the requests put in for the 2002 Games over nine weeks.

On the last day alone, Canadians put in requests totalling $135 million.

To no one's surprise, the highest demand for tickets is in hockey, figure skating and the opening and closing ceremonies. All of those, as well as short track speed skating, will go to lottery.

Among the ticket request numbers Vanoc published Thursday:

. Total value of tickets requested by Canadian residents: $345 million

. Value of tickets requested on November 7 alone: $135 million

. More than 140,000 tickets requested for men's gold medal hockey

. More than 41,000 tickets for women's gold medal hockey

. More than 84,000 tickets for the Opening Ceremony

. More than 27,000 tickets for men's halfpipe snowboard

. More than 34,000 tickets for short track speed skating sessions

. More than 10,200 tickets for men's four-man bobsleigh final

. More than 19,800 tickets for men's gold medal curling

Vancouver2010.com by the numbers:

18.4 million page views from October 3 to November 7

More than 3.5 million page views on November 7 alone

The three busiest days in the history of the website were the last two days of the Request Period (November 6 and 7) as well as the first day (October 3)

Old Posted Nov 14, 2008, 12:31 AM
Vancouver User

Well the good news is I probably won't be having to come up with the max amount of my order...

Old Posted Nov 14, 2008, 1:16 AM
Vancouver User

double post FTW

Old Posted Nov 14, 2008, 1:33 AM
ON3P Skis

All things being equal (which I know they aren't ), roughly 13% chance of getting tickets to the Men's Gold Medal hockey game. That's not very good.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2008, 1:38 AM

They should have done something revolutionary and put in a sheet of Olympic sized ice at BC Place and played the Mens / Womens Final there.

The NHL can do it outdoors even... it'd be great to have 60,000 people in attendance, especially considering this is CANADA.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2008, 2:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by awvan View Post
All things being equal (which I know they aren't ), roughly 13% chance of getting tickets to the Men's Gold Medal hockey game. That's not very good.
It's a much better chance than I thought it would be though.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2008, 5:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yume-sama View Post
They should have done something revolutionary and put in a sheet of Olympic sized ice at BC Place and played the Mens / Womens Final there.

The NHL can do it outdoors even... it'd be great to have 60,000 people in attendance, especially considering this is CANADA.
There are huge logistical issues, besides the fact that it would be a nightmare to have tens of thousands of empty seats if Canada doesn't make it to the finals. As well, with a lower supply and high demand = high ticket prices = more revenues.

As for logistical issues, the men's gold medal game is always held on the morning of the closing day - the closing ceremonies.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2008, 8:41 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.x2 View Post
As well, with a lower supply and high demand = high ticket prices = more revenues.
how would selling ~ 60 thousand tickets for BC Place lead to less revenue than GM Place ( ~ 18,000)...the demand will be insane that people would be willing to pay $100 to sit on the fourth floor to watch the game ( if Canada is playing)

Old Posted Nov 14, 2008, 9:12 AM

Well... I mean, considering it is the *Winter* Olympics, it would make sense to somehow incorporate ice in to the opening / closing ceremonies. People skate in the winter, all they would have to do is remove the boards and glass which is no more than a few hour process if you have enough people working. And I agree, 60,000 people would buy tickets... probably no matter who was in the final. All the tickets would be sold before the games, anyways, and we wouldn't have to be the only Olympics to ever have a Final on ice that didn't meet international specifications

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > 2010 Olympic Winter Games [Archive]