HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Mar 21, 2024, 12:27 AM

This enforcement discussion infuriates me and makes me regret shutting down the app.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2024, 2:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildCake View Post
Does that mean a radar van will be parked there? or that it's just the WPS sending traffic enforcement officers instead of it being RCMP?

My understanding was that with the Perimeter being a provincial highway that the city couldn't use the radar vans there, but since St Mary's south until the floodway is still in city limits and they maintain the roadway, they were able to set up there.

In other news, there is work starting up on the St Mary's interchange. Some concrete work on the deck (there were tarps laid out on the weekend that are now gone) and there's a large white tent covering the approach on the south side of the bridge.
There are photo radar trucks/vans parked there. They are very deceiving and look like work vehicles. On one hand it is really frustrating, on the other hand there are frequently people buzzing through this construction zone at 120 with no concern for the workers and road designs in place there. So, I find myself somewhere in the middle on this one.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2024, 2:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carboy15 View Post
I agree. I think the whole Perimeter Freeway Project should be a top priority, but unfortunately with federal funding, we can't only work on one road at a time. We must share it with other roads in the province too.

I wish they would focus on the main highways first above other roads. The top priority should be the Perimeter Hwy, Hwy 1, Centreport Canada Way, and Highway 75. As inflation is getting higher, it is probably going to get harder and harder to do the bigger projects in the long term.
A small point of clarification, the One Million Perimeter Freeway Project is all provincially funded. These are provincially owned roads and this $135 million project comes out of Manitoba Transportation and Infrastructure's annual $550 budget. (same with PTH 75). Maybe if the feds kicked in money these projects could be completed faster, but they do not, and it sounds like they are getting out of funding roads and highways.

Large municipal projects for all non-provincially owned roads, bridges, etc would be funded by three levels of government, municipal, feds, and the province through the Municipal and Northern Relations department.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2024, 6:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinguni View Post
WPS can do photo or traffic enforcement anywhere within City limits.
This has definitely not been the case in the past. There have been a few different incidents on a section of the Perimeter that is without question within City limits. I have talked to a few different departments on it and every time I am told it is outside what WPS covers, including when they are on scene to assist with traffic control for the RCMP. Yes WPS and WFPS both had vehicles actively on a scene and TMC was showing "no data" on the incident as they had no way of accessing scene information as the RCMP was the lead. That incident was a complete closure of the Perimeter too.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2024, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cllew View Post
You can even get a ticket from the CPKC rail police if you break the law within 5CN Rail police also have the same powers of enforcement.
Military police are known to issue tickets near 17 Wing too.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2024, 4:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flatland Metropolis View Post
There are photo radar trucks/vans parked there. They are very deceiving and look like work vehicles. On one hand it is really frustrating, on the other hand there are frequently people buzzing through this construction zone at 120 with no concern for the workers and road designs in place there. So, I find myself somewhere in the middle on this one.
Yep drove through at 5:30 pm today and they had a white work van looking thing (newer, but I've seen it elsewhere in the city) on EB and their classic Dodge Caravan covering WB. This must be a cash cow for them.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2024, 4:04 PM
Mooderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildCake View Post
Yep drove through at 5:30 pm today and they had a white work van looking thing (newer, but I've seen it elsewhere in the city) on EB and their classic Dodge Caravan covering WB. This must be a cash cow for them.
In my city (Gatineau), they use these mobile white Nissan vans parked up on the curb and actually put big moveable signs a few car lengths away from it, telling you there is a speed camera coming up. It gives leadfoots a chance to slow down.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2024, 4:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harls View Post
In my city (Gatineau), they use these mobile white Nissan vans parked up on the curb and actually put big moveable signs a few car lengths away from it, telling you there is a speed camera coming up. It gives leadfoots a chance to slow down.
Here they grow the trees out to cover the speed limit and school zones signs so you can't see them. Then they enforce it with a barely marked van.

Sometimes even a laser van up to 1km back so you literally get sniped from the shadows. This convo infuriates me.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2024, 4:28 PM
the first stamp is free

Just never ever pay full fine on your photo radar tickets. Always fight them. They will always vastly reduce the fine and/or cancel them outright. It's all done over the phone now, so it's way easier.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2024, 4:36 PM
There is always a way

Quote:
Originally Posted by harls View Post
Which is totally logical. What is completely unreasonable is camping out and having artificial speed limits and using it to make money, because this obviously has nothing to do with safety.
Federalist #10, James Madison

Old Posted Mar 23, 2024, 2:08 AM

I understand in Alberta the photo radar vehicles have to be wrapped om hi viz yellow and be marked with Drive Save and speed enforcement in large letters.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2024, 2:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by optimusREIM View Post
Which is totally logical. What is completely unreasonable is camping out and having artificial speed limits and using it to make money, because this obviously has nothing to do with safety.
What's an artificial speed limit?

Like a speed limit that's obviously slower than the design speed of the road?

Old Posted Mar 25, 2024, 3:35 PM
There is always a way

Quote:
Originally Posted by borkborkbork View Post
What's an artificial speed limit?

Like a speed limit that's obviously slower than the design speed of the road?
Correct. What they should do is have a big neon sign with the photo radar van saying slow down, showing the speed limit, and identifying it as a photo radar, instead of policing speed with a regime of terror ( even though this is an exaggeration, the only argument that they can make to claim that it isn't a purely revenue generating enterprise would be to claim that if you never know when and where they're watching, that you would always respect the speed limit, which is enforcement through fear.)
Federalist #10, James Madison

Old Posted Mar 25, 2024, 4:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by optimusREIM View Post
if you never know when and where they're watching, that you would always respect the speed limit, which is enforcement through fear.)
i'm not opposed to this philosophy. seems better than the "speed anywhere except where there's a big well-marked speed trap" approach.

but to your point, i agree that the underlying problem here is that many winnipeg streets have design speeds that are far faster than is safe given their neighbourhood contexts, and that the best thing for the city would be to have road calming measures like lane diets and changes to turning geometries that would reduce the design speed to something closer to the posted limit.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2024, 4:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by borkborkbork View Post
i'm not opposed to this philosophy. seems better than the "speed anywhere except where there's a big well-marked speed trap" approach.

but to your point, i agree that the underlying problem here is that many winnipeg streets have design speeds that are far faster than is safe given their neighbourhood contexts, and that the best thing for the city would be to have road calming measures like lane diets and changes to turning geometries that would reduce the design speed to something closer to the posted limit.
Yea, and I do think they did a decent job at creating the temporary lanes at the St Mary's interchange project where it does feel weirdly slow to go 80 km/h, especially on the eastern side of the overpass.

They currently have speed display boards on either side of the new overpass, which helps EB drivers correct their speed (if they want) before the speed trap, however the WB trap is well before this speed display board.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2024, 9:07 PM

The whole 80kph section on 59 north between headmaster and birdshill. Nobody does 80. And it’s clearly designed for much faster speeds of travel. Cops always have people pulled over all the time. It’s kinda confusing to me that we spent all that money on an interchange to have lights at either end of it. Birds hill and headmaster should have been included in the development all that money spent to go 80. lol

Old Posted Mar 25, 2024, 9:17 PM

What a ridiculous thing, PTH 59N. Let's spend $200 million dollars to reduce the speed limit! After installing an elaborate interchange!

Old Posted Mar 25, 2024, 9:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
What a ridiculous thing, PTH 59N. Let's spend $200 million dollars to reduce the speed limit! After installing an elaborate interchange!
I agree it doesn't make much sense to do that. Having an interchange at Birds Hill would make sense because it would create consistency with the rest of the road, but I think it may not be worthwhile as there are places in Manitoba that need Interchanges more, including Carberry, Portage, Brandon.

Highway 59 has got to be the most random highway in Manitoba. From Victoria Beach to Scanterbury south, and Ile des Chênes South to US Border (excluding St Malo and St Pierre), it is a Two lane roadway. Between Ile des Chênes to North Perimeter, and Birds Hill to Scanterbury, it's four lane. And from North Perimeter to Birds Hill, it's a six lane expressway. And in Winnipeg, 59 can be an expressway or an arterial road, kinda wierd.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2024, 10:06 PM

We can get into another debate about the future interchange at Birds Hill Rd. The road there is something like 6 lanes wide NB and 4 lanes wide SB. That is ALL LOT of pavement. And slightly more money would pay for an interchange. But here we are.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2024, 1:29 PM
What could go wrong?

The plan

"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan